gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:35:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 134301 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 25, 2016, 09:04:50 AM »

They should have played cool head warm heart to shut them up. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 25, 2016, 09:07:50 AM »

3. The crowd sucked. There was a pair of young guys in front of me that were smashed by the second set and spent the remainder of the show talking, screaming, and even booing songs they didn't know...like Caroline No, The Warmth of The Sun, Pisces Brothers (well, guess that one makes sense...) next to us was a pair of old women (like in their 80's old) that cheered loudest when Mike mentioned The Four Freshmen and also felt the need to talk during anything that wasn't in the top 10 in the 60's...and behind us was a row of mentally handicapped older folks who really were not interested in the show at all and were led out never to return during the second set. I know, not their fault, but still distracting.

Booing a song at a concert, even for Pisces Brothers, is extremely disrespectful.  It seems like every show I attend, no matter the artist, people rudely talk during songs they don't know, but I've never witnessed booing.  Even Pisces Brothers doesn't deserve that.  

Agree totally. Though maybe an occasional exception if something like Brian's Back were to have been performed by M&B right after the C50 debacle.  Roll Eyes
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 25, 2016, 09:38:23 AM »

3. The crowd sucked. There was a pair of young guys in front of me that were smashed by the second set and spent the remainder of the show talking, screaming, and even booing songs they didn't know...like Caroline No, The Warmth of The Sun, Pisces Brothers (well, guess that one makes sense...) next to us was a pair of old women (like in their 80's old) that cheered loudest when Mike mentioned The Four Freshmen and also felt the need to talk during anything that wasn't in the top 10 in the 60's...and behind us was a row of mentally handicapped older folks who really were not interested in the show at all and were led out never to return during the second set. I know, not their fault, but still distracting.

Booing a song at a concert, even for Pisces Brothers, is extremely disrespectful.  It seems like every show I attend, no matter the artist, people rudely talk during songs they don't know, but I've never witnessed booing.  Even Pisces Brothers doesn't deserve that.  

Agree totally. Though maybe an occasional exception if something like Brian's Back were to have been performed by M&B right after the C50 debacle.  Roll Eyes

Or they could have done "Summer Of LuHv" from the drecky SIP abomination and been pelted with rotten, decaying food.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 25, 2016, 09:51:25 AM »

Or they could have done "Summer Of LuHv" from the drecky SIP abomination and been pelted with rotten, decaying food.

They actually played Summer in Paradise...it worked well live...I've never cared for any of the recordings from that record though.
KDS
« Reply #554 on: July 25, 2016, 10:37:32 AM »

They actually played Summer in Paradise...it worked well live...I've never cared for any of the recordings from that record though.

I really like the live version of that song from the MIC boxset.  I'll take it over Goin to the Beach any day. 
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: July 25, 2016, 10:56:27 AM »

Yes, the live version in Made in California is excellent*. I like it even more than Kokomo! ** Smiley

* But what is NOT excellent in that box?
** Please don't hate on me, OSD and SMiLE Brian. I am still a "Brianista"...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 10:58:42 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 25, 2016, 12:47:53 PM »

You are forgiven! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #557 on: July 25, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »

Yes, the live version in Made in California is excellent*. I like it even more than Kokomo! ** Smiley

The price.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 25, 2016, 01:28:06 PM »

Hehe, I only listen to it on my Apple Music account. Should I buy the box set?

KDS
« Reply #559 on: July 25, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »

Hehe, I only listen to it on my Apple Music account. Should I buy the box set?

That depends on how much you're willing on spend on a tangible set where probably half of the material has already been released.

Granted, the unreleased stuff is great.  But, I kinda felt a little bilked when I had to shell out a C note for Fun Fun Fun, Wouldn't It Be Nice, and Help Me Rhonda again. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 25, 2016, 01:40:52 PM »

Gotcha, I will save my money then since I got the 1993 set and can listen to the unreleased stuff on apple music. You go all out on the Pink Floyd sets a couple years ago?

KDS
« Reply #561 on: July 25, 2016, 02:03:25 PM »

Gotcha, I will save my money then since I got the 1993 set and can listen to the unreleased stuff on apple music. You go all out on the Pink Floyd sets a couple years ago?

Pink Floyd is my absolute favorite band of all time, but no, I couldn't bring myself to do it.  I already had a good portion of the unreleased stuff via b@@tlegs.  Just didn't seem worth it to me. 
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 25, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »

You're a good guy, Thor, even IF you like Krapohmoh!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 25, 2016, 05:09:43 PM »

Aw, OSD... Kokomo ain't *that* bad! You gotta admit that Carl's vocals are rad. And even if you're not a Mike fan, at least that song is one of Mike's better vocals - relatively speaking - from a turn-down-the-nasal perspective. It has its good points.
KDS
« Reply #564 on: July 26, 2016, 05:13:43 AM »

Aw, OSD... Kokomo ain't *that* bad! You gotta admit that Carl's vocals are rad. And even if you're not a Mike fan, at least that song is one of Mike's better vocals - relatively speaking - from a turn-down-the-nasal perspective. It has its good points.

Kokomo also helped make The Beach Boys relevant again.  I don't care who writes it, a good song is a good song.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 26, 2016, 05:38:07 AM »

Kokomo also helped make The Beach Boys relevant again.  I don't care who writes it, a good song is a good song.
The dynamic for Kokomo was different.  Grammy nominated for Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or Television, There is a little backstory on wiki.

"...The Beach Boys were commissioned to produce a theme song for Cocktail." Initially it was not all the Beach Boys on vocals but a subset.  Disney wanted The Beach Boys.  Then it evolved to vocals by Carl, Mike, Al and Bruce.  Carl and Mike shared the lead on the final released version.  Released on July 18, 1988, it became #1 by November 5, 1988.  Incidentally the video was filmed at the Grand Floridian at Walt Disney World before it was open and the band were the first guests there.

To call it a shocker hit was an understatement, for me.  The kids in my Pre-K came in my class singing "Aruba, Jamaica..."  However they were "back" was irrelevant.  They were "back" - and all that mattered.  Wink    The Beach Boys who, were in their late 40's by then and with a #1 hit.  

The only time I had seen that happen was when The Bee Gees were propelled back into relevance by "Stayin' Alive" on Saturday Night Fever with John Travolta in much the same way Tom Cruise was a big box office accident in 1988.  Wink  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:39:54 AM by filledeplage » Logged
KDS
« Reply #566 on: July 26, 2016, 05:47:43 AM »

Kokomo also helped make The Beach Boys relevant again.  I don't care who writes it, a good song is a good song.
The dynamic for Kokomo was different.  Grammy nominated for Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or Television, There is a little backstory on wiki.

"...The Beach Boys were commissioned to produce a theme song for Cocktail." Initially it was not all the Beach Boys on vocals but a subset.  Disney wanted The Beach Boys.  Then it evolved to vocals by Carl, Mike, Al and Bruce.  Carl and Mike shared the lead on the final released version.  Released on July 18, 1988, it became #1 by November 5, 1988.  Incidentally the video was filmed at the Grand Floridian at Walt Disney World before it was open and the band were the first guests there.

To call it a shocker hit was an understatement, for me.  The kids in my Pre-K came in my class singing "Aruba, Jamaica..."  However they were "back" was irrelevant.  They were "back" - and all that mattered.  Wink    The Beach Boys who, were in their late 40's by then and with a #1 hit.  

The only time I had seen that happen was when The Bee Gees were propelled back into relevance by "Stayin' Alive" on Saturday Night Fever with John Travolta in much the same way Tom Cruise was a big box office accident in 1988.  Wink  

I'd have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure The Beach Boys still hold the record for longest gap between #1s. 

I'll be interested to read Brian's take on Kokomo in his book.  I know he said he thought it was great on Endless Harmony.  And Mike implied that Landy kept Brian from the sessions, but I don't know if Brian ever confirmed that.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 26, 2016, 06:15:22 AM »

I'd have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure The Beach Boys still hold the record for longest gap between #1s. 

I'll be interested to read Brian's take on Kokomo in his book.  I know he said he thought it was great on Endless Harmony.  And Mike implied that Landy kept Brian from the sessions, but I don't know if Brian ever confirmed that.
KDS -Seems it was Landy-related, IIRC.  But, Brian was on the Spanish version.  Even if they didn't have a #1 for about 20 years, they were still in the market in a less high-profile way with something always playing on the radio.  They still had stuff being released even if it didn't go to #1.  This was dramatic in the early era of VH1 and MTV being played a lot, promoting both the film and the music.  My own kids were young and thought it was cool.                                                           
KDS
« Reply #568 on: July 26, 2016, 06:32:43 AM »

KDS -Seems it was Landy-related, IIRC.  But, Brian was on the Spanish version.  Even if they didn't have a #1 for about 20 years, they were still in the market in a less high-profile way with something always playing on the radio.  They still had stuff being released even if it didn't go to #1.  This was dramatic in the early era of VH1 and MTV being played a lot, promoting both the film and the music.  My own kids were young and thought it was cool.                                                           

I was eight when Kokomo came out.  And, although it took me a little while longer to fully embrace The Beach Boys, the music video, and their appearance on Full House, were the first time I ever saw The Beach Boys on TV.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 26, 2016, 06:51:56 AM »

I was eight when Kokomo came out.  And, although it took me a little while longer to fully embrace The Beach Boys, the music video, and their appearance on Full House, were the first time I ever saw The Beach Boys on TV.
KDS - you are about the same age as my oldest. How often is there a #1 hit that both parent and child love?  That is why it was such a shocker when the generations are different but the music is a point of intersection.  And TV spots made it all the sweeter.  I will never forget the night when my kids were watching Full House and hollered to me that The Beach Boys were on.  (I usually "watched with them" to monitor what they were watching.) Pleasant surprise.  And amazing how the music filtered into a new generation.   Wink
KDS
« Reply #570 on: July 26, 2016, 07:05:09 AM »

KDS - you are about the same age as my oldest. How often is there a #1 hit that both parent and child love?  That is why it was such a shocker when the generations are different but the music is a point of intersection.  And TV spots made it all the sweeter.  I will never forget the night when my kids were watching Full House and hollered to me that The Beach Boys were on.  (I usually "watched with them" to monitor what they were watching.) Pleasant surprise.  And amazing how the music filtered into a new generation.   Wink

I know he gets a lot of grief, but John Stamos did a lot of good will for The Beach Boys in the late 80s / early 90s. 

That being said, am I a hypocrite for hoping his proposed musical movie, All Summer Long, doesn't happen?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 26, 2016, 07:59:12 AM »

It may have had it's good points but for a different generation of fans who weren't around for the group classics. Of course Carl sings well on it but let's face it, he sang well on 99.9% of everything he did, but that doesn't prevent it from being a cheesy song. My kids loved it so I took  them to see the group do it live. Sorry, but myKe's voice has a dirty old man vibe to it.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 26, 2016, 08:03:35 AM »

The 1980s BBs concert had to be tough since you saw them in their 1960s heyday as an organic group, not the corporation of later years.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: July 26, 2016, 10:29:02 AM »

It may have had it's good points but for a different generation of fans who weren't around for the group classics. Of course Carl sings well on it but let's face it, he sang well on 99.9% of everything he did, but that doesn't prevent it from being a cheesy song. My kids loved it so I took  them to see the group do it live. Sorry, but myKe's voice has a dirty old man vibe to it.

I kind of like the song itself, but that sax solo is awful.

I actually prefer Mike's vocals on 'Still Cruisin', personally.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: July 26, 2016, 10:31:17 AM »

The "Kokomo" debate again?

It's pretty simple in some ways: Some folks just hear the song and rate it and don't need to contextualize it at all. That's fine. On that count, I'd say it's a catchy solid song. Not groundbreaking or amazing, but good songs don't always need to be.

Some (including myself) like the song to some degree but, as a scholar/historian/hardcore fan of the band, can't help but contextualize it and see how it both helped and hindered the band. It's emblematic of a lot of good and bad things and lot of turmoil and dichotomies within the band.

In some ways, it is fans who have perhaps contextualized the song more than it needs to be. But the band members, specifically Mike and Bruce especially, have also done a lot of this. If he didn't have to hold the song in esteem in the same way something like "Good Vibrations" is, the song wouldn't be so emblematic of Mike's latter-day attitude.

It's a similar thing with Stamos, it's mostly about context. Although, I would argue that while "Kokomo" is a solid song, Stamos is not a solid musician and really doesn't even bring musicianship to the table even if you're willing to look past what he "represents" to some fans. That Stamos topic has been beaten to death as well, and I don't think anyone much is budging on their opinion on that one either.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx