gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680795 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:37:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 135125 times)
KDS
« Reply #525 on: July 14, 2016, 08:46:14 AM »

In the concert I saw last week, Mike did say following GOK that Carl died of lung cancer in 1998 and that George Harrison died of the same disease 3 years later.   He said it in a very low key way and I don't think there was anything judgmental implied.   

Mike may well mean well when saying that; I just think it's really inappropriate. That's just my own sense. It's just tonally all wrong (unless the function is like an American Lung Association fundraiser or something), and it doesn't sound like someone who was deeply and intimately familiar and involved with someone who dealt with the disease. It sounds very detached, like something a very distanced journalist would write.

Does Brian May mention in concert every night that Freddie Mercury died of AIDS? Did the Beach Boys mention all the time that Dennis drowned? Does McCartney mention that Lennon was murdered before doing a Lennon-centric Beatles tune? To me, the cause of death is irrelevant in like 99% of the circumstances it could be brought up during a concert.

This isn't to pile onto Mike. I would deem any band that did a "Lung Cancer Tribute" mini set as tonally odd.

I honestly think it's just a segue into Pisces Brothers.

A better segue might be, "OK hope you enjoyed that classic song as a tribute to Carl Wilson.  Here's the very opposite of a classic song as a tribute to George Harrison."

Come on Mike, if I want to listen to a tribute to George, I'll listen to Ringo's "Without You." 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 14, 2016, 09:03:52 AM »

Least he isn't singing imagine in his peak nasal voice of the 1980s. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: July 14, 2016, 09:37:28 AM »

In the concert I saw last week, Mike did say following GOK that Carl died of lung cancer in 1998 and that George Harrison died of the same disease 3 years later.   He said it in a very low key way and I don't think there was anything judgmental implied.  

Mike may well mean well when saying that; I just think it's really inappropriate. That's just my own sense. It's just tonally all wrong (unless the function is like an American Lung Association fundraiser or something), and it doesn't sound like someone who was deeply and intimately familiar and involved with someone who dealt with the disease. It sounds very detached, like something a very distanced journalist would write.

Does Brian May mention in concert every night that Freddie Mercury died of AIDS? Did the Beach Boys mention all the time that Dennis drowned? Does McCartney mention that Lennon was murdered before doing a Lennon-centric Beatles tune? To me, the cause of death is irrelevant in like 99% of the circumstances it could be brought up during a concert.

This isn't to pile onto Mike. I would deem any band that did a "Lung Cancer Tribute" mini set as tonally odd.

I honestly think it's just a segue into Pisces Brothers.

A better segue might be, "OK hope you enjoyed that classic song as a tribute to Carl Wilson.  Here's the very opposite of a classic song as a tribute to George Harrison."

Come on Mike, if I want to listen to a tribute to George, I'll listen to Ringo's "Without You."  

It's all fine until he needs to mention "lung cancer." Some people just don't have that filter or sensibility to not be so specific.

I'm sure some folks here don't even see why that would be an issue whatsoever. I just think it's distasteful, and if someone disagrees, I probably can't explain or convince them why I think mentioning not that Carl and George passed away but that they passed away from lung cancer is weird and inappropriate and a weird "link" or "theme" to run through a pair of songs at a concert.

Would Mike *not* do the tribute if Carl and George had died of different illnesses?

Tribute songs are fine (especially when it isn't a dreadful cover of that person's song like "Imagine" in 1983), and mentioning that they've passed can in many scenarios work okay in a concert. But mentioning that Carl died of lung cancer and then drawing a direct parallel to George dying of lung cancer is just really ham-fisted to me in numerous ways. Again, if there was an even longer pause to talk about lung cancer research funding or something, then it would make sense. Otherwise, it's the same as starting a Freddie Mercury tribute by mentioning he died of AIDS, etc.

I also think there is an extra stigma attached to lung cancer (and the blame and guilt associated with it is a VERY DIFFICULT and COMPLEX topic to traverse, which again I think most people close to people who have suffered from lung cancer understand), and that's another reason why I think it comes across, however innocently it was meant, as judgmental. I'm reminded of this exchange from an episode of "House MD" with Hugh Laurie:

House: "Do you know why they have ribbons for breast cancer, colorectal cancer, prostate cancer, but not for lung cancer?"
Wilson: "They ... ran out of colors?"
House: "It's because people blame lung cancer patients. They smoked, they screwed up, they deserve to die. The reason people die from lung cancer is guilt."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:39:05 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 14, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »

*insert Filleplage rant here*

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 14, 2016, 11:23:35 AM »

This is verbatim the intro he gave to Pisces Brother when I saw the Beach Boys back in May:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR944nioqAA

Is a one minute intro excessive? I don't think so, there are several other songs, including Beach Boys' classics that get similar treatment. I don't think there is any hint of victim blaming, just a sense of how unfortunate it is they passed away. My only issue is that it has been the same intro for many years.
KDS
« Reply #530 on: July 14, 2016, 11:59:58 AM »

This is verbatim the intro he gave to Pisces Brother when I saw the Beach Boys back in May:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR944nioqAA

Is a one minute intro excessive? I don't think so, there are several other songs, including Beach Boys' classics that get similar treatment. I don't think there is any hint of victim blaming, just a sense of how unfortunate it is they passed away. My only issue is that it has been the same intro for many years.

I think my only real issue with Pisces Brother is that it's just not that good of a song.

I'd like to see M&B replace it with Daybreak Over the Ocean.  Then, at least one of the camps will acknowledge the TWGMTR album. 
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 14, 2016, 12:19:12 PM »

*insert Filleplage rant here*

LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: July 14, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »

Regarding TWGMTR, Brian did the title track "That's Why God Made the Radio" and "Summer's Gone" at some 2013 gigs, and of course "Pacific Coast Highway" and "Summer's Gone" for the 2014 PBS taping.

Mike did "Isn't It Time" in 2012/2013 on his own, and I think he brought it back into the setlist in 2015 as well. I always found the selection of *that* song as ironic given its context originally as a "reunion" song, especially doing it so soon after ending the reunion and having the backing guys sing Brian's and Al's parts. I would imagine the only TWGMTR songs Mike would likely ever do live are the titles he wrote or co-wrote.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:21:17 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #533 on: July 14, 2016, 12:50:45 PM »

Regarding TWGMTR, Brian did the title track "That's Why God Made the Radio" and "Summer's Gone" at some 2013 gigs, and of course "Pacific Coast Highway" and "Summer's Gone" for the 2014 PBS taping.

Mike did "Isn't It Time" in 2012/2013 on his own, and I think he brought it back into the setlist in 2015 as well. I always found the selection of *that* song as ironic given its context originally as a "reunion" song, especially doing it so soon after ending the reunion and having the backing guys sing Brian's and Al's parts. I would imagine the only TWGMTR songs Mike would likely ever do live are the titles he wrote or co-wrote.

Yeah, I know that some of the tracks have been done here and there.  It's still a crying shame that Strange World and From There to Back Again have yet to be played live. 

I know I'm likely in the minority, and this might be a statement for the unpopular opinion thread, but I think TWGMTR is easily their best album since Holland.  And I think its a pity the songs have been somewhat lost post C50.

Surely, Mike could find room in the set for Daybreak. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 14, 2016, 12:55:11 PM »

Agreed on TWGMTR being a great album and one of the best since holland. Great 21st century BBs cooking on vinyl!

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 14, 2016, 01:04:21 PM »

Tribute songs are fine (especially when it isn't a dreadful cover of that person's song like "Imagine" in 1983)

...made so much worse by the irony (and total lack of awareness) of Mike wearing a tacky corporation hat (Radio Shack) while singing a song about the evils of possessions and money  Roll Eyes Regardless of what one thinks of whether Mike chose a song that he sounds good singing (or not), that irony is pretty striking.

We all know that Lennon didn't exactly abandon his bank accounts and put his money where his mouth was regarding the sentiment of that song... but for a major act's lead singer to wear a tacky corporate Radio Shack hat - while singing a cover version of that particular song - that is just next level unintentional hilarity...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:09:59 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 14, 2016, 03:17:27 PM »

Tribute songs are fine (especially when it isn't a dreadful cover of that person's song like "Imagine" in 1983)

...made so much worse by the irony (and total lack of awareness) of Mike wearing a tacky corporation hat (Radio Shack) while singing a song about the evils of possessions and money  Roll Eyes Regardless of what one thinks of whether Mike chose a song that he sounds good singing (or not), that irony is pretty striking.

We all know that Lennon didn't exactly abandon his bank accounts and put his money where his mouth was regarding the sentiment of that song... but for a major act's lead singer to wear a tacky corporate Radio Shack hat - while singing a cover version of that particular song - that is just next level unintentional hilarity...

I think it's safe to say that from now till the end of time The Beach Boys will forever be the most unintentional blend of popularity and hilarity.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 14, 2016, 05:24:23 PM »

Yeah, I know that some of the tracks have been done here and there.  It's still a crying shame that Strange World and From There to Back Again have yet to be played live. 

I know I'm likely in the minority, and this might be a statement for the unpopular opinion thread, but I think TWGMTR is easily their best album since Holland.  And I think its a pity the songs have been somewhat lost post C50.

Surely, Mike could find room in the set for Daybreak. 

If he pulled a stunt like that, he could lose the audience in a heartbeat with that boring clunker.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 15, 2016, 04:21:30 AM »

"Daybreak"... the horrors. Mandatory skip.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 04:23:54 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
KDS
« Reply #539 on: July 15, 2016, 05:07:05 AM »

"Daybreak"... the horrors. Mandatory skip.

I thought that back when the album was released, but its really grown on me over the years. 
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: July 15, 2016, 05:46:27 AM »

Exactly opposite for me. I wanted so much to like the whole album that at first I gave a... break to "Daybreak". Smiley
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:47:03 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: July 15, 2016, 06:25:43 AM »

"Daybreak" is the textbook example of "meh." Middle of the road, impossible-to-truly-be-offending in any way. It sticks out like a sore thumb on TWGMTR, even if one *doesn't* know it was a near-decade-old recording with BBs overdubbed on the front and end only. You all of a sudden go to a different production sound, and all of a sudden you get Adrian Baker's falsetto instead of Foskett's.

A half dozen tracks on the as-yet-unreleased 2004 "Mike Love Not War" album are stronger than that one. They should have just overdubbed "Cool Head", or had Al sing "Too Cruel" or something.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 19, 2016, 01:47:23 PM »

Very excited to be seeing The Beach Boys with the National Symphony Orchestra this evening at The Kennedy Center. There's also supposed to be "Surprise Special Guests"...worst case scenario...Stamos? Dream come true.....well...Brian & Alan are free tonight?  LOL LOL LOL

I'll give a report later tonight or tomorrow morning!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 19, 2016, 04:46:35 PM »

Very excited to be seeing The Beach Boys with the National Symphony Orchestra this evening at The Kennedy Center. There's also supposed to be "Surprise Special Guests"...worst case scenario...Stamos? Dream come true.....well...Brian & Alan are free tonight?  LOL LOL LOL

I remember seeing that 'Special Guests' mention for that show and thinking duds for sure. Will await with interest. LOL
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 19, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »

I remember seeing that 'Special Guests' mention for that show and thinking duds for sure. Will await with interest. LOL
If it's not Stamos, David Marks or Christopher Cross then I got nothing  LOL
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 19, 2016, 08:45:09 PM »

All in all...great show with the symphony! I'm glad I finally got to hear them backed with an orchestra. That being said, there's plenty to complain about. Sorry! LOL

1. The sound mix was absolutely wretched in the first set and it was clear that the band was not performing at their best because of it. I could only hear vocals and drums in the first set. The only time I heard any guitar was if it was the only thing playing, which wasn't often. I saw Scott Totten talking with sound guys (I assume) during intermission and there was a noticeable improvement for the second set.

2. The "Special Guests" consisted of one special GUEST (singular, not plural) being Ambha Love to sing "The Warmth of The Sun" in a special dedication for The Kennedy Center considering the song's origin etc.  She sounded decent......

3. The crowd sucked. There was a pair of young guys in front of me that were smashed by the second set and spent the remainder of the show talking, screaming, and even booing songs they didn't know...like Caroline No, The Warmth of The Sun, Pisces Brothers (well, guess that one makes sense...) next to us was a pair of old women (like in their 80's old) that cheered loudest when Mike mentioned The Four Freshmen and also felt the need to talk during anything that wasn't in the top 10 in the 60's...and behind us was a row of mentally handicapped older folks who really were not interested in the show at all and were led out never to return during the second set. I know, not their fault, but still distracting.

That being said...there was lots of good stuff too! I'll post a link to the setlist below (it is accurate, I confirm) but running down it, here are some stand out thoughts:

-Darlin' sounded incredible with the brass. Probably the best I've ever heard. And while I'm often critical of Jeff, he really knocked it out of the park tonight.
-Be True To Your School was also the best I'd ever heard, again because of the symphony as a live "marching band"!
-Kiss Me Baby was a welcomed surprise. Pretty sure I was the only person in my section that knew it...
-Summer in Paradise sounded REALLY great. I was dreading it and had never heard it live before but it really worked well. I take back my previous bashing!  LOL
-Their Hearts Were Full of Spring was stupendous echoing through the Concert Hall...the perfect room for it, and the orchestra played a great intro.
*Highlight of the entire show* = The Pet Sounds Set...Here Today/You Still Believe in Me/I'm Waiting For The Day/Caroline No was non-stop beauty. They were all sang so passionately and the orchestra was so on the money for each tune. Those four  (plus the regular Pet Sounds trio) were worth the admission alone.
-And a final thought...it was weird not having an encore!

So all that being said...great experience! Wish the crowd and the sound guys had been better...but those things happen! Oh! We had a lot of interaction with Mike...or should I say my girlfriend did!  Roll Eyes LOL  He was rushing the vamp on "Good Vibrations" and Scott was trying to slow him down...we wee laughing and Mike saw and pointed at us and shrugged with a "who gives a s**t" look on his face and shot us the wigglin' fingers! LOL LOL
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 19, 2016, 08:46:51 PM »

Here's the set...100% accurate

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2016/john-f-kennedy-center-for-the-performing-arts-washington-dc-4bff1bb2.html
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 20, 2016, 06:34:05 AM »

Wow, that's a great Pet Sounds run. Who sang lead on I'm Waiting For the Day?

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 20, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »

Wow, that's a great Pet Sounds run. Who sang lead on I'm Waiting For the Day?

Scott Totten and he totally nailed it!
KDS
« Reply #549 on: July 25, 2016, 08:38:31 AM »

3. The crowd sucked. There was a pair of young guys in front of me that were smashed by the second set and spent the remainder of the show talking, screaming, and even booing songs they didn't know...like Caroline No, The Warmth of The Sun, Pisces Brothers (well, guess that one makes sense...) next to us was a pair of old women (like in their 80's old) that cheered loudest when Mike mentioned The Four Freshmen and also felt the need to talk during anything that wasn't in the top 10 in the 60's...and behind us was a row of mentally handicapped older folks who really were not interested in the show at all and were led out never to return during the second set. I know, not their fault, but still distracting.

Booing a song at a concert, even for Pisces Brothers, is extremely disrespectful.  It seems like every show I attend, no matter the artist, people rudely talk during songs they don't know, but I've never witnessed booing.  Even Pisces Brothers doesn't deserve that. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx