gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:09:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 135153 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: July 11, 2016, 10:21:58 PM »

Yeah, just saw that on Mike's page...thought it was a bit misleading as well that they showed the full clip from the GMA appearance (same day as my C50 show) from 2012 with that lineup.

Anyway...saw the Coney Island setlist...am I the only one that's in a state of bewilderment that "Pisces Brothers" has stayed in the set all this time, yet "Wild Honey" lived in the set for about a year? And even worse...they've added "Summer in Paradise" to the opening set for the best several gigs?  Shocked

In all honesty, I'd rather see Summer in Paradise than Goin to the Beach. 

And I'm with you about retiring Pisces Brothers.   The two times I've seen Mike and Bruce in the last year, that song grinded the concert to a halt. 

Looking at the Coney Island set, the could have done two classics to fill those spots that I'm sure would've kept the pace going that more people would be familiar with. "Don't Back Down" could easily replace "Summer in Paradise". "Pisces Brothers" being more of a ballad (I use that loosely) could be replaced by "Kiss Me Baby", "Please Let Me Wonder" etc. songs more people know, albeit not everybody.

There are two songs that have never worked in concert of all the times I've seen any configuration of the band: Pisces Brothers & All This is That.

I think that at all shows that I've seen Pisces Brothers done, that the vast majority listened respectfully. As for All This Is That , It's one of my favorite songs to hear live. People seemed to like it too, but yeah there's sometimes a little chatter. But the same could be said for other songs like The Warmth of the sun, which is an undeniable classic.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 11, 2016, 11:23:37 PM »

I've always thought that when a performer gets away from the music and into some sort of story or long-winded introduction, that they're probably doing it more for their own (or their band's) sake than anything else. To put it simply... they're taking a break! It's been mentioned that the Beach Boys have for years played song after song after song practically non-stop; not medleys, but complete songs. And for many years they did that straight through, without an intermission. Doesn't seem too unreasonable to me if there's some dialogue three or four times during the show. Some performers (groups as well as solo artists) often don't even play songs back-to-back without some sort of stoppage.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: July 12, 2016, 06:18:31 AM »

When a Beach Boy writes a tribute to a Beatle, and performs it at a BB concert, it does beg a back story.

No. It doesn't. Especially when it's the same friggin' story he's been telling *since* 1968. If it's a good song, it can stand on its own. As I said, a quick "this is a tribute to George" would suffice. Roy Orbison back in the early 80s did an Elvis tribute song, a ballad called "Hound Dog Man", and would intro the song by saying "This is a song for a dear friend of mine", and then just do the song. No long story. No needing to explain to the audience why he was buddies with Elvis, or that he secretly helped Elvis write songs.

My guess is that, much like saying that he is friends with John Stamos, saying he was hanging with the Beatles in India is a weird name drop. I said long ago that Mike name drops like some one-hit-wonder playing Laughlin, Nevada would. He doesn't need to name drop, but he does. Maybe it's insecurity or something, I don't know.

You don't like Mike and that is apparent.  It would not matter what he did, it would be wrong in some manner.

If you want to think that, again I can't stop you. I've given Mike his due when appropriate, and applauded him for things done well. I would say the situation is much more the opposite; You blindly support Mike. That is blatantly apparent, and regardless of the heinous, sometimes hugely inflammatory and offensive things he does or says, you'll never find any fault in anything Mike does or says. This has been proved in numerous threads.

It is not up to fans to decide how a song is intro'd especially when they are responsible for the genesis of the song.  

As I always end up having to reiterate, when we as fans throw ideas out or say this or that should be done a certain way, NOBODY is advocating that fans actually should be able to control what anyone in the band does. This "it's not up to the fans" thing is another of countless straw man arguments. I guess some artists could stand to *listen* to their fans more, but that's kind of a separate discussion I suppose.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: July 12, 2016, 06:24:27 AM »

At the show I went to last week in New York, there were basically no "younger fans."  Granted it was a weeknight, indoor show and even the cheapest seats were $82.  I took my 12 year old daughter to her first rock concert and she was pointing out how old the crowd was.  There were a handful of children there, but really no one else below 60.  Heck, I  felt young by comparison.    This would have been the perfect opportunity to play some deep cuts, but the set list played it very safe.  Maybe a lot of that was because this was a Stamos show.   The only surprise to me was Summertime Blues in the encore.    They did put on a great show and the audience responded really well.

Sometimes the predominantly older audiences are the hardest to impress with deep cuts or new songs.

It's often the young, indie hipster types that dig the deep cuts. Listen to the C50 Bonnaroo recording; the song that gets the biggest reaction from the crowd is "Heroes and Villains." 

I've been to many concerts, including non-Beach Boys concerts, where the "original" era fans are the *least* malleable when it comes to listening to non-hits, or less recognizable songs.

I was once at a Frampton concert and some lady was yelling at everyone for not standing and dancing enough. Then Frampton started whipping out pre-Comes Alive stuff like "Wind of Change" and she was literally yelling out "I don't know that one!" God help us when we got the part where Frampton did stuff off his *new* album!  LOL And he was doing excellent stuff off a Grammy-winning new album. This lady didn't care.

It's obviously an extreme example, but older fans often want to hear "Barbara Ann" and are less open to hearing a cut off of "Friends" or "Sunflower" or whatever.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: July 12, 2016, 06:26:35 AM »

I've always thought that when a performer gets away from the music and into some sort of story or long-winded introduction, that they're probably doing it more for their own (or their band's) sake than anything else. To put it simply... they're taking a break! It's been mentioned that the Beach Boys have for years played song after song after song practically non-stop; not medleys, but complete songs. And for many years they did that straight through, without an intermission. Doesn't seem too unreasonable to me if there's some dialogue three or four times during the show. Some performers (groups as well as solo artists) often don't even play songs back-to-back without some sort of stoppage.

That all sounds totally plausible (though talking would not necessarily be the best "rest" for Mike's voice). The discussion about song preambles and whatnot started with regard to new or deep cuts; that for an audience pre-disposed to maybe not having the patience for new or deep cuts, doing a big long spoken-word bit before *those* songs only makes that type of concertgoer more impatient or restless, etc.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 12, 2016, 07:00:07 AM »

When a Beach Boy writes a tribute to a Beatle, and performs it at a BB concert, it does beg a back story.

No. It doesn't. Especially when it's the same friggin' story he's been telling *since* 1968. If it's a good song, it can stand on its own. As I said, a quick "this is a tribute to George" would suffice. Roy Orbison back in the early 80s did an Elvis tribute song, a ballad called "Hound Dog Man", and would intro the song by saying "This is a song for a dear friend of mine", and then just do the song. No long story. No needing to explain to the audience why he was buddies with Elvis, or that he secretly helped Elvis write songs.

My guess is that, much like saying that he is friends with John Stamos, saying he was hanging with the Beatles in India is a weird name drop. I said long ago that Mike name drops like some one-hit-wonder playing Laughlin, Nevada would. He doesn't need to name drop, but he does. Maybe it's insecurity or something, I don't know.

You don't like Mike and that is apparent.  It would not matter what he did, it would be wrong in some manner.

If you want to think that, again I can't stop you. I've given Mike his due when appropriate, and applauded him for things done well. I would say the situation is much more the opposite; You blindly support Mike. That is blatantly apparent, and regardless of the heinous, sometimes hugely inflammatory and offensive things he does or says, you'll never find any fault in anything Mike does or says. This has been proved in numerous threads.

It is not up to fans to decide how a song is intro'd especially when they are responsible for the genesis of the song.  

As I always end up having to reiterate, when we as fans throw ideas out or say this or that should be done a certain way, NOBODY is advocating that fans actually should be able to control what anyone in the band does. This "it's not up to the fans" thing is another of countless straw man arguments. I guess some artists could stand to *listen* to their fans more, but that's kind of a separate discussion I suppose.
Hey Jude - Pisces Brothers is usually following GOK, and they are linked via lung cancer (maybe a subtle message to please stop smoking and please stay with us) and the short span of time between their untimely deaths.  I happen to like Stamos (and unapologetically) for a few reasons.  First, I saw him on his first acting break, a soap with Demi Moore who got her first break there as well.  Second, he invited The Beach Boys as guests (when their career was not at a high point) on more than one of his series shows, which bumped interest in the music.  Third, as I have watched Stamos for the last 10 years or so on tour, I have watched a guy who shows reflexive kindness (absolutely not a put-on) to young people who have likely been bullied for their appearance, or have had medical or intellectual challenges and I say "Bravo" to him.   

Stamos has been around that band for 30 years.  I support all of them and it is informed by 50 years of being a fan and almost that amount of time seeing them live.  Nearly every post has a backhanded, poorly veiled insult for the Touring Band.  There is no need for fans to be in "one camp or another."  Or, to inflame discord or hate for any band member. 

Artists should and generally do appreciate feedback from fans and they should welcome constructive criticism, however when it takes the form of constant veiled insults, that is another story.  I would guess that they know right-off-the-bat, when a song bombs, from the response of the people sitting in front of them. That is a pretty good barometer. 

My opinion is that at this point in time, it is pretty low to constantly berate someone who is 75 years old, whether you agree with whatever has gone on in the 50+ years prior.  Seriously.

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 12, 2016, 07:17:31 AM »

I was at the concert in Portland Maine July 7 and Mike had about a 1 minute introduction to the song! https://youtu.be/gR944nioqAA

Also thought over all the whole concert rocked and they really put on a show! I Loved that they performed Summer In Paradise! That sounded great! https://youtu.be/eENLI9YfYnU
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 12, 2016, 07:20:32 AM »

According to the setlist website, they played Pisces Brothers AND Cool Head, Warm Heart back to back last night...God help them  LOL

I've personally witnessed and heard that.. it still gives me shudders. ( Cool Head is actually a better song)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: July 12, 2016, 07:46:32 AM »

Hey Jude - Pisces Brothers is usually following GOK, and they are linked via lung cancer (maybe a subtle message to please stop smoking and please stay with us) and the short span of time between their untimely deaths.

Does Mike actually make this link in concert, or is that just your filter? If the songs are played back to back, I'm guessing it's because they're both tributes to deceased individuals. If Mike actually made a "lung cancer link" during the concert in discussing those two, I would find that immensely inappropriate and judgmental in that sort of setting.  

I support all of them and it is informed by 50 years of being a fan and almost that amount of time seeing them live.  Nearly every post has a backhanded, poorly veiled insult for the Touring Band.  There is no need for fans to be in "one camp or another."  Or, to inflame discord or hate for any band member.  

I disagree that you've supported all of the band members. You've defended Mike's myriad of inflammatory comments about other band members, never once criticizing him. That's not supporting all of the band members. You *don't* support all of the band members.

Defending all of the band members, including against each other at times, is just as important to "supporting" them as "not saying anything negative."

I have no hate for any band member; I don't know any of them. I know you probably don't actually read through the entirety of posts you respond to, and/or don't actually absorb what people write here, but please don't equate criticism with hate. Calling someone hateful for disagreeing with you is, well, obviously ironically kind of hateful itself!

My opinion is that at this point in time, it is pretty low to constantly berate someone who is 75 years old, whether you agree with whatever has gone on in the 50+ years prior.  Seriously.

Making (sometimes) critical comments is not "berating", and Mike's age should have nothing to do with anything. And whether I agree with "whatever has gone on in the 50+ years prior" definitely *does* matter. Why would it not? It doesn't mean we shouldn't look at what continues to happen and develop. I won't dwell on the past to the exclusion of the present or future. Ironically, it's Mike in countless interviews who dredges up the long-since-passed history of the band and the songwriting lawsuits and Wilsons' drug abuse. He's the one still judging people for things that happened decades ago, not me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:47:42 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: July 12, 2016, 07:50:00 AM »

According to the setlist website, they played Pisces Brothers AND Cool Head, Warm Heart back to back last night...God help them  LOL

I've personally witnessed and heard that.. it still gives me shudders. ( Cool Head is actually a better song)

"Cool Head" is probably one of the best things Mike has ever done under his own name. I was really disappointed that Al actually turned in a weaker track than Mike for that Hallmark CD a decade ago. "Cool Head" is a solid song, much better than "PT Cruiser." I kind of wished they had just overdubbed BB vocals onto "Cool Head" and put that on TWGMTR instead of "Daybreak."

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: July 12, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »

w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 12, 2016, 08:16:24 AM »

Heyjude is a great poster, I have never seen somebody stay objective so well in the crazy four years since the C50 blowup. Hell, he has put with my sometimes wacky posts! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 12, 2016, 08:22:28 AM »

Hell, the guy should be a moderator here! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 12, 2016, 12:49:49 PM »

I was at the concert in Portland Maine July 7 and Mike had about a 1 minute introduction to the song! https://youtu.be/gR944nioqAA

Also thought over all the whole concert rocked and they really put on a show! I Loved that they performed Summer In Paradise! That sounded great! https://youtu.be/eENLI9YfYnU
Does Mike make a joke about Flint, Michigan beforehand?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 12, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »

Is there any record of George Harrison reciprocating any sort of affection or even friendship for Mike during George's life?   

Not that I've ever heard of. Other than both of them being in India in 1968, I've never heard of any connection or ongoing relationship. I think there's a photo of Mike and George in the same frame from circa 1971 or so (they both have their long early 70s beards). But there's almost no record of George ever uttering the name "Beach Boys", let alone Mike.

George mentioned the Beach Boys' name during an "Anthology" interview in describing "Paperback Writer" and it's layered vocals. That's the only time I can think of, certainly post-60s, where George even mentioned the band.

I think it's pretty well established that Paul was the main guy that was into Brian and the BBs, and even then it was pretty confined to a few albums/eras, mainly "Pet Sounds."

Paul did tell a funny story about Mike in India in 1968 in, I believe, the "authorized" Barry Miles biography. Paul mentions that Mike would go into town and buy tons and tons of batteries and stuff like that and then sell the stuff to the people at the Maharishi compound, essentially becoming a vendor.

Mike and George both had homes in the Hana area of Maui. It is a very small, remote community.  It is not beyond the realms of imagination that that may have have crscked open a bottle or two at some dinners.  Wouldn't surprise me to see a Hawaii picture of the two in Mike's book.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 12, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »

Wino brothers? Cool Guy

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: July 12, 2016, 01:52:22 PM »

Is there any record of George Harrison reciprocating any sort of affection or even friendship for Mike during George's life?   

Not that I've ever heard of. Other than both of them being in India in 1968, I've never heard of any connection or ongoing relationship. I think there's a photo of Mike and George in the same frame from circa 1971 or so (they both have their long early 70s beards). But there's almost no record of George ever uttering the name "Beach Boys", let alone Mike.

George mentioned the Beach Boys' name during an "Anthology" interview in describing "Paperback Writer" and it's layered vocals. That's the only time I can think of, certainly post-60s, where George even mentioned the band.

I think it's pretty well established that Paul was the main guy that was into Brian and the BBs, and even then it was pretty confined to a few albums/eras, mainly "Pet Sounds."

Paul did tell a funny story about Mike in India in 1968 in, I believe, the "authorized" Barry Miles biography. Paul mentions that Mike would go into town and buy tons and tons of batteries and stuff like that and then sell the stuff to the people at the Maharishi compound, essentially becoming a vendor.

Mike and George both had homes in the Hana area of Maui. It is a very small, remote community.  It is not beyond the realms of imagination that that may have have crscked open a bottle or two at some dinners.  Wouldn't surprise me to see a Hawaii picture of the two in Mike's book.

It'd be interesting to find out, though I suspect Mike would have discussed such a relationship at some point in the intervening years.

Beatles and Solo Beatles fans are much more ardent about finding every photo and story of these guys imaginable; I would think a Love-related George story would have passed through Beatles fans circles if it had occurred.

But you never know....

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 12, 2016, 02:07:45 PM »

It'd be interesting to find out, though I suspect Mike would have discussed such a relationship at some point in the intervening years.

Beatles and Solo Beatles fans are much more ardent about finding every photo and story of these guys imaginable; I would think a Love-related George story would have passed through Beatles fans circles if it had occurred.

But you never know....

I have been there. It is so small. I find it hard to imagine that members of the two greatest rock bands, with the TM connection, living in the same remote area, didn't cross paths. George was very obsessed with his privacy there. Maybe Mike respected that and didn't blab about it per George's wishes.

Yeah, we might find out in Mike's book.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: July 12, 2016, 02:17:51 PM »

But you never know....

I have been there. It is so small. I find it hard to imagine that members of the two greatest rock bands, with the TM connection, living in the same remote area, didn't cross paths. George was very obsessed with his privacy there. Maybe Mike respected that and didn't blab about it per George's wishes.

Yeah, we might find out in Mike's book.

You never know. There are those stories about Lennon and Billy Joel nearly crossing paths in Cold Spring Harbor back in 1979/80 but never happening, etc.

I wouldn't be floored to find out Harrison and Mike had some sort of encounter at some point. I'd tend to doubt they'd socialize to any great extent, though. The TM sort of stuff would be the most likely link of course.

Members of the two greatest bands notwithstanding, the Beatles had relatively little interest in the BBs over the years. Only McCartney seemed particularly intrigued, and even then only by a specific subset of Brian's work.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 12, 2016, 07:12:30 PM »

Yes, I don't see George seeking out ML in Hana but Mike ringing George's doorbell.

There was a big hub bub on Maui about the fence George put up. Now I get why he  did it... LOL

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: July 13, 2016, 06:14:44 AM »

Yes, I don't see George seeking out ML in Hana but Mike ringing George's doorbell.

There was a big hub bub on Maui about the fence George put up. Now I get why he  did it... LOL

That's how detailed "Beatlefan" magazine was/is, I remember regular reports about the fight over an easement on his property.   LOL

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: July 13, 2016, 11:05:47 AM »

FWIW I'd read a long time ago (maybe on this board?) that George's wife came from Hawthorne and that when he found out he wanted to know everything connected with the Beach Boys. I wish I'd remember where I read it. I'm not very much into the Beatles data.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
nybbfan1
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 13, 2016, 04:16:50 PM »

Hey Jude - Pisces Brothers is usually following GOK, and they are linked via lung cancer (maybe a subtle message to please stop smoking and please stay with us) and the short span of time between their untimely deaths.

Does Mike actually make this link in concert, or is that just your filter? If the songs are played back to back, I'm guessing it's because they're both tributes to deceased individuals. If Mike actually made a "lung cancer link" during the concert in discussing those two, I would find that immensely inappropriate and judgmental in that sort of setting.  

I support all of them and it is informed by 50 years of being a fan and almost that amount of time seeing them live.  Nearly every post has a backhanded, poorly veiled insult for the Touring Band.  There is no need for fans to be in "one camp or another."  Or, to inflame discord or hate for any band member.  

I disagree that you've supported all of the band members. You've defended Mike's myriad of inflammatory comments about other band members, never once criticizing him. That's not supporting all of the band members. You *don't* support all of the band members.

Defending all of the band members, including against each other at times, is just as important to "supporting" them as "not saying anything negative."

I have no hate for any band member; I don't know any of them. I know you probably don't actually read through the entirety of posts you respond to, and/or don't actually absorb what people write here, but please don't equate criticism with hate. Calling someone hateful for disagreeing with you is, well, obviously ironically kind of hateful itself!

My opinion is that at this point in time, it is pretty low to constantly berate someone who is 75 years old, whether you agree with whatever has gone on in the 50+ years prior.  Seriously.

Making (sometimes) critical comments is not "berating", and Mike's age should have nothing to do with anything. And whether I agree with "whatever has gone on in the 50+ years prior" definitely *does* matter. Why would it not? It doesn't mean we shouldn't look at what continues to happen and develop. I won't dwell on the past to the exclusion of the present or future. Ironically, it's Mike in countless interviews who dredges up the long-since-passed history of the band and the songwriting lawsuits and Wilsons' drug abuse. He's the one still judging people for things that happened decades ago, not me.

In the concert I saw last week, Mike did say following GOK that Carl died of lung cancer in 1998 and that George Harrison died of the same disease 3 years later.   He said it in a very low key way and I don't think there was anything judgmental implied.    BTW, George's drug use throughout the 70s & 80s in another reason I'm skeptical that George and Mike ever hung out much.   BTW, George did have the song "Pisces Fish" that was released on the posthumous Brainwashed album.  I wonder to what degree that song inspired Mike. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:48:06 PM by nybbfan1 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: July 14, 2016, 08:13:12 AM »

In the concert I saw last week, Mike did say following GOK that Carl died of lung cancer in 1998 and that George Harrison died of the same disease 3 years later.   He said it in a very low key way and I don't think there was anything judgmental implied.   

Mike may well mean well when saying that; I just think it's really inappropriate. That's just my own sense. It's just tonally all wrong (unless the function is like an American Lung Association fundraiser or something), and it doesn't sound like someone who was deeply and intimately familiar and involved with someone who dealt with the disease. It sounds very detached, like something a very distanced journalist would write.

Does Brian May mention in concert every night that Freddie Mercury died of AIDS? Did the Beach Boys mention all the time that Dennis drowned? Does McCartney mention that Lennon was murdered before doing a Lennon-centric Beatles tune? To me, the cause of death is irrelevant in like 99% of the circumstances it could be brought up during a concert.

This isn't to pile onto Mike. I would deem any band that did a "Lung Cancer Tribute" mini set as tonally odd.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 14, 2016, 08:30:34 AM »

It's to position Mike as "Mr. Clean living" to the audience as usual. Funny how clean living BW and Al are not mentioned.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx