gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:16:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 134308 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: May 15, 2016, 07:36:04 PM »

Looks like they added the lyric "we find" after blossom world.  Pretty cool to hear that.  I think it works pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdPv4hSI5HA

Foskett did that during C50. Far from a big deal, but I found it kind of annoying.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 15, 2016, 07:48:57 PM »

Looks like they added the lyric "we find" after blossom world.  Pretty cool to hear that.  I think it works pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdPv4hSI5HA

Foskett did that during C50. Far from a big deal, but I found it kind of annoying.

Oh.  Tongue For some reason I don't remember him doing that part that at the show I attended.   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: May 16, 2016, 07:45:58 AM »

With 150 shows a year it wouldn't have anything to do with the group mixing things up a bit themselves to keep things interesting now would it? Razz

Dennis sang HMR back in the day as well.
Is this the only song that has now been sung by 4 different Beach Boys? (5 if you include Brian solo?)

If you include Brian and Al splitting the lead vocal on "Good Timin'" on C50, then five different BBs have sung it at least once at a Beach Boys show. Carl did it usually of course, Dennis sang it on occasion, and Mike sang it at least once at the Easter Seals Telethon in 1979.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 16, 2016, 05:37:11 PM »

I attended the May 14, 2016, Beach Boys concert in Kansas City. I drove down from Michigan specifically to see a theater show (as opposed to the outdoor amphitheater setting) and because a meet and greet opportunity was available.

The meet and greet was scheduled to begin approximately one hour before show time. About 50 people had purchased this package and most arrived between 6-6:15pm. I had reached out to the venue for specifics months in advance, of which they were of little help. I had a guitar already signed by Brian and Al and wanted to be sure I could bring it in (for Brian and Al, I had to take the pickguard off to stay within the small items requirement). Thankfully, someone from Mike’s social media reached out to me and made arrangements with the tour manager.

We were brought in the venue around 6:30pm and told that Mike and Bruce were on their way, but traffic had been a challenge. We were instructed that we would be brought in two separate groups of approximately 20-25 people. Once in a small backstage area, we were instructed to form a semi-circle and have our item ready to be signed. Surprisingly few people had come prepared with an item to be signed, most had their tickets signed, while I saw a couple of CD jackets. Mike and Bruce were both extremely nice and talkative. After they made their rounds, we were told to line up for photos. The tour manager asked me to wait until that brought everyone through, as she was going to store my guitar for me. So, I waited for the first group to finish, she then brought in the second group. For the second round, I pulled out a copy of the Rolling Stone cover. Bruce loved the RS cover and commented on Al’s goggles, I told him I loved his early-70s mustache. Mike was really impressed with the cover and wondered where I got it. I asked him if he remembered the hat he was wearing and he clearly had no idea what it even was.

After this group, Jeff Foskett and Tim Bonhomme brought some friends/family in to meet the guys (I took this opportunity to get my photo with Jeff and Tim). During photos with Jeff’s guest, Mike was ribbing him for selling meet and greets on the side to make a little extra money—that really cracked the room up. Finally, after all the guests got through, I got my photo with Mike and Bruce and handed my guitar off to be retrieved after the concert.

The theater was beautiful and it appeared to be sold out. Mike and Bruce both were strong vocally (I think they were coming of somewhat of an extended break) and the band was in absolute top form. The opening video was very high quality and basically spanned their career. I can’t remember what songs played, but some of the photos were animated (i.e. Pet Sounds photo with a giraffe walking behind, Mike smoking a pipe with smoke rising from the pipe, etc.). As for the intermission video, I believe it was set to “Pet Sounds” and was essentially a 60s era montage (i.e. lots of hippies, Vietnam scenes, etc.).

Thoughts on specific songs:
- Jeff and Brian doubled on Farmer’s Daughter. Last time I saw them, Brian did it solo.
- Jeff did a particularly strong version of Darlin’.
- The Pet Sounds set was very tastefully done. Mike had a lyric sheet on the stage for Here Today.
- As I previously stated, Bruce was in particularly strong voice for Disney Girls. Seemed his keyboard was audible for this song.
- Mike introduced All This Is That as a song he wrote with Al—one of several mentions during the night.
- Cowsill took the lead on California Dreamin—he sounded fine, so I don’t necessarily buy that Mike has taken the Rhonda vocal due to a sore throat…
- No special intro for Do You Wanna Dance, just straight into it without a mention of the Dennis lead vocal.
- As noted, Mike took the lead on Rhonda and I really didn’t mind it. IMO, preferable to Cowsill.
- Barbara Ann did not include the onstage party with fans, which made it bearable. I’ve always found that the most cringe worthy moment at past shows.

Other thoughts:
- Both the intro video and the intermission video were very well done. However, I don’t understand the use of some of the more modern music videos (i.e. Getcha Back, California Dreamin’, etc.). Best I can tell, they are not source quality, but ripped from YouTube. It wouldn’t bother me as much if they were better quality.
- I thought the addition of Randy Leago on sax, flute and percussion was a huge plus and hope he sticks with them for a while. He took a few breaks from stage when the songs didn’t call for his services. Very solid!
- Overall, just a really great experience and well worth the time spent on the road.

I wish I could have written this immediately following the show, but the late night and early wakeup Sunday morning necessitated the delay. I'm happy to answer any specific questions.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 16, 2016, 05:45:58 PM »

I attended the May 14, 2016, Beach Boys concert in Kansas City. I drove down from Michigan specifically to see a theater show (as opposed to the outdoor amphitheater setting) and because a meet and greet opportunity was available.

The meet and greet was scheduled to begin approximately one hour before show time. About 50 people had purchased this package and most arrived between 6-6:15pm. I had reached out to the venue for specifics months in advance, of which they were of little help. I had a guitar already signed by Brian and Al and wanted to be sure I could bring it in (for Brian and Al, I had to take the pickguard off to stay within the small items requirement). Thankfully, someone from Mike’s social media reached out to me and made arrangements with the tour manager.

We were brought in the venue around 6:30pm and told that Mike and Bruce were on their way, but traffic had been a challenge. We were instructed that we would be brought in two separate groups of approximately 20-25 people. Once in a small backstage area, we were instructed to form a semi-circle and have our item ready to be signed. Surprisingly few people had come prepared with an item to be signed, most had their tickets signed, while I saw a couple of CD jackets. Mike and Bruce were both extremely nice and talkative. After they made their rounds, we were told to line up for photos. The tour manager asked me to wait until that brought everyone through, as she was going to store my guitar for me. So, I waited for the first group to finish, she then brought in the second group. For the second round, I pulled out a copy of the Rolling Stone cover. Bruce loved the RS cover and commented on Al’s goggles, I told him I loved his early-70s mustache. Mike was really impressed with the cover and wondered where I got it. I asked him if he remembered the hat he was wearing and he clearly had no idea what it even was.

After this group, Jeff Foskett and Tim Bonhomme brought some friends/family in to meet the guys (I took this opportunity to get my photo with Jeff and Tim). During photos with Jeff’s guest, Mike was ribbing him for selling meet and greets on the side to make a little extra money—that really cracked the room up. Finally, after all the guests got through, I got my photo with Mike and Bruce and handed my guitar off to be retrieved after the concert.

The theater was beautiful and it appeared to be sold out. Mike and Bruce both were strong vocally (I think they were coming of somewhat of an extended break) and the band was in absolute top form. The opening video was very high quality and basically spanned their career. I can’t remember what songs played, but some of the photos were animated (i.e. Pet Sounds photo with a giraffe walking behind, Mike smoking a pipe with smoke rising from the pipe, etc.). As for the intermission video, I believe it was set to “Pet Sounds” and was essentially a 60s era montage (i.e. lots of hippies, Vietnam scenes, etc.).

- Jeff and Brian doubled on Farmer’s Daughter. Last time I saw them, Brian did it solo.
- The Pet Sounds set was very tastefully done. Mike had a lyric sheet on the stage for Here Today.
- As I previously stated, Bruce was in particularly strong voice for Disney Girls. Seemed his keyboard was audible for this song.
- Mike introduced All This Is That as a song he wrote with Al—one of several mentions during the night.
- Cowsill took the lead on California Dreamin—he sounded fine, so I don’t necessarily buy that Mike has taken the Rhonda vocal due to a sore throat…
- No special intro for Do You Wanna Dance, just straight into it without a mention of the Dennis lead vocal.
- As noted, Mike took the lead on Rhonda and I really didn’t mind it. IMO, preferable to Cowsill.
- Barbara Ann did not include the onstage party with fans, which made it bearable. I’ve always found that the most cringe worthy moment at past shows.

Other thoughts:
- Both the intro video and the intermission video were very well done. However, I don’t understand the use of some of the more modern music videos (i.e. Getcha Back, California Dreamin’, etc.). Best I can tell, they are not source quality, but ripped from YouTube. It wouldn’t bother me as much if they were better quality.
- I thought the addition of Randy Leago on sax, flute and percussion was a huge plus and hope he sticks with them for a while. He took a few breaks from stage when the songs didn’t call for his services. Very solid!
- Overall, just a really great experience and well worth the time spent on the road.

I wish I could have written this immediately following the show, but the late night and early wakeup Sunday morning necessitated the delay. I'm happy to answer any specific questions.

Thanks Marty Castillo. I'm going to have to check them out sometime soon. Took me a minute to figure out why they did California Dreamin. I'd forgotten about that.
What do you mean "Mike had a lyric sheet on stage for Here Today?" And, did Bruce react to the mustache comment?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 16, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »

Marty,

I was there too but didn't do the meet and greet and your seats were much better than mine it looks like.

There was some sort of intro to Wanna Dance wasn't there, because I remember it was kind of odd to introduce a dance song directly after another dance song? I thought Mike mentioned Dennis but now I'm not sure, you are probably right because my memory isn't what it used to be and I kind of get swept along with the experience. I got a kick out of Cowsill's sort of homage to Dennis' style during the performance.

Cheers.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 16, 2016, 06:15:21 PM »

Other thoughts:

Thanks Marty Castillo. I'm going to have to check them out sometime soon. Took me a minute to figure out why they did California Dreamin. I'd forgotten about that.
What do you mean "Mike had a lyric sheet on stage for Here Today?" And, did Bruce react to the mustache comment?

During the intermission, one of the roadies taped down a white paper. I was in the front row, so I took a peak to see if the setlist had been changed, but it was the lyrics to Here Today. During the song, you could tell Mike took a couple glances.

Bruce let out a pretty good laugh about his mustache. Needless to say, I don't think it's coming back. You could tell both Mike and Bruce took pride in the cover of Rolling Stone. I think Bruce mentioned having saved a copy, while Mike reacted like he hadn't seen it in years (though I'm sure this was a put on).

Marty,

I was there too but didn't do the meet and greet and your seats were much better than mine it looks like.

There was some sort of intro to Wanna Dance wasn't there, because I remember it was kind of odd to introduce a dance song directly after another dance song? I thought Mike mentioned Dennis but now I'm not sure, you are probably right because my memory isn't what it used to be and I kind of get swept along with the experience. I got a kick out of Cowsill's sort of homage to Dennis' style during the performance.

Cheers.

Cam, I'm not sure if you are from the KC area, but it was my first visit. I took in the Friday Royals game and visited the Harry Truman Museum earlier on Saturday--mighty fine city and will have to take the whole family some day.

If there was an intro to Do You Wanna Dance, it was very brief and I missed it--certainly not, to the extent of the Carl tribute before GOK.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 16, 2016, 06:17:47 PM »

A couple videos I shot at the show. My apologies for poor camera work, hard to be inconspicuous when you're front row.

Little Deuce Coupe and Little Honda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWZSOYol5Yg

California Girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U48IECnO7AQ
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 16, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »

Cam, I'm not sure if you are from the KC area, but it was my first visit. I took in the Friday Royals game and visited the Harry Truman Museum earlier on Saturday--mighty fine city and will have to take the whole family some day.

If there was an intro to Do You Wanna Dance, it was very brief and I missed it--certainly not, to the extent of the Carl tribute before GOK.

I live in a small town about 45 miles south of the theater.

I remember it as Mike kind of made a stumbling speech bit out of it being a song about dance again but it was a brief introduction and not near the intro for Carl and GOK and I have the impression he mentioned Dennis but it could be a false memory and I couldn't swear to it.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 16, 2016, 07:35:52 PM »

A couple videos I shot at the show. My apologies for poor camera work, hard to be inconspicuous when you're front row.

Little Deuce Coupe and Little Honda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWZSOYol5Yg

California Girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U48IECnO7AQ
Thanks. I got to see Bruce do one of his famous microphone adjustments! Amazing seats you had. I didn't mention, at the Brian show, Little Honda live really drives in a way I never noticed on the recording. Cool song.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 16, 2016, 08:45:42 PM »

I've always enjoyed seeing the Beach Boys Live and In Person.    fun.   fun.   fun.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 16, 2016, 10:48:27 PM »

This is my favorite touring version of the BBs since Carl passed and Al left.  By a lot.  Scott Totten doesn't get enough credit and the additions of Jeff F and Brian Eichenberger have raised the bar considerably for future touring iterations of The Beach Boys or "The Beach Boys" - however you look at it.
KDS
« Reply #387 on: May 17, 2016, 05:21:02 AM »

This is my favorite touring version of the BBs since Carl passed and Al left.  By a lot.  Scott Totten doesn't get enough credit and the additions of Jeff F and Brian Eichenberger have raised the bar considerably for future touring iterations of The Beach Boys or "The Beach Boys" - however you look at it.

They were great when I saw them this past summer with the addition of a sax/flute player and David Marks. 
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 17, 2016, 05:32:07 PM »

Other thoughts:

During the intermission, one of the roadies taped down a white paper. I was in the front row, so I took a peak to see if the setlist had been changed, but it was the lyrics to Here Today. During the song, you could tell Mike took a couple glances.

Bruce let out a pretty good laugh about his mustache. Needless to say, I don't think it's coming back. You could tell both Mike and Bruce took pride in the cover of Rolling Stone. I think Bruce mentioned having saved a copy, while Mike reacted like he hadn't seen it in years (though I'm sure this was a put on).

Marty,

Cheers.

Marty, did you have any of our world famous BBQ? If so, where? None better. That theatre is magic. It used to be a movie house. Saw Jaws there the day it was released in the Summer of 1975. Was last there to see the Moody Blues.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:34:15 PM by Dave in KC » Logged
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 17, 2016, 05:35:53 PM »

Other thoughts:

Sounds like alot of fun! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually feel like I'm warming up to the idea of attending a M&B show! LOL
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:46:32 PM by BachelorsDegreeInBullets » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 17, 2016, 05:59:09 PM »

That theatre is magic. It used to be a movie house. Saw Jaws there the day it was released in the Summer of 1975.

So did I. An inebriated guy a few rows in front of us got sick from the opening scene and had to be helped out of the theater.

KDS
« Reply #391 on: May 18, 2016, 05:20:14 AM »

Other thoughts:

Sounds like alot of fun! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually feel like I'm warming up to the idea of attending a M&B show! LOL

In all honestly, if you can make it to one, it's worth it. 

It may or may not truly be The Beach Boys, but it's a really good show. 
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 18, 2016, 06:19:29 AM »

As a solo presentation from Mike Love it's so much more incredible than you could ever expect from Mike Love. As a beach boys show it doesn't deliver for me. I saw a show in HK a few months ago and I've been so conflicted on what to say about it, because parts of it delivered by Mike were so convincing and well, whereas other parts were completely bot the beach boys. I wish it was just Mike love touring under his own name or something similar to the band.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 18, 2016, 06:29:19 AM »

Just a quick PSA, if you've missed this thread in the Sandbox, please check it out: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/board,8.0.html
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 18, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »

As a solo presentation from Mike Love it's so much more incredible than you could ever expect from Mike Love. As a beach boys show it doesn't deliver for me. I saw a show in HK a few months ago and I've been so conflicted on what to say about it, because parts of it delivered by Mike were so convincing and well, whereas other parts were completely bot the beach boys. I wish it was just Mike love touring under his own name or something similar to the band.

I wonder what would happen to Mike's reputation if Mike decided to say "After thinking about it long and hard, I think it's most appropriate to tour under the name 'The Mike Love Band' and to not use the full 'Beach Boys' name, unless it's with all the surviving members".

Can you imagine the amount of slack that fans would cut Mike for doing that? Lots. Granted, he'd make less money. I wonder: if he actually did that (fat chance, I know), would Brian and Al try to finagle the BB name for themselves? Or would the name just cease to exist as a touring entity?
KDS
« Reply #395 on: May 18, 2016, 09:32:40 AM »

I wonder what would happen to Mike's reputation if Mike decided to say "After thinking about it long and hard, I think it's most appropriate to tour under the name 'The Mike Love Band' and to not use the full 'Beach Boys' name, unless it's with all the surviving members".

Can you imagine the amount of slack that fans would cut Mike for doing that? Lots. Granted, he'd make less money. I wonder: if he actually did that (fat chance, I know), would Brian and Al try to finagle the BB name for themselves? Or would the name just cease to exist as a touring entity?

I think if that happened, Brian and Al would let the band name fade into history.

I also think there's certain fans that will never cut Mike slack.  If he were to do such a thing, you'd hear, "He should've done this back in 1998!!"  Or after C50, or whenever. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 18, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »

I think if that happened, Brian and Al would let the band name fade into history.

I also think there's certain fans that will never cut Mike slack.  If he were to do such a thing, you'd hear, "He should've done this back in 1998!!"  Or after C50, or whenever.  

I think if Mike actually did do that, the complaining fans by and large would cut him slack, and think that he finally saw the light. Better late than never.

What would happen if Mike legally changed his own personal name from "Michael Edward Love" to "The Beach Boys"? In other words, people would address him by his new first name, "The" (Hi, The! Can I have your autograph?)... or alternately as "Mr. Boys". Would he still need a BRI license to tour as The Beach Boys, or could he just say that he's simply touring as his own name?  Smiley As ridiculous a question as it is, I am legitimately curious to know.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:12:54 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #397 on: May 18, 2016, 10:18:45 AM »

I also think there's certain fans that will never cut Mike slack.  If he were to do such a thing, you'd hear, "He should've done this back in 1998!!"  Or after C50, or whenever.  

I think if Mike actually did do that, the complaining fans by and large would cut him slack, and think that he finally saw the light. Better late than never.

What would happen if Mike legally changed his own personal name from "Michael Edward Love" to "The Beach Boys"? In other words, people would address him by his new first name, "The" (Hi, The! Can I have your autograph?)... or alternately as "Mr. Boys". Would he still need a BRI license to tour as The Beach Boys, or could he just say that he's simply touring as his own name?  Smiley As ridiculous a question as it is, I am legitimately curious to know.

I think you're right in that the majority of fans would cut Mike slack if that happened. 

But there's still a few folks who wouldn't give Mike Love credit if he cured cancer, balanced the Federal Budget, wiped out poverty, homelessness, & hunger, and rid the world of terrorism. 

If Mike did all that, you'd still get, "well good for myke luhv, but SIP still sucks." 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 18, 2016, 10:28:25 AM »

I think you're right in that the majority of fans would cut Mike slack if that happened.  

But there's still a few folks who wouldn't give Mike Love credit if he cured cancer, balanced the Federal Budget, wiped out poverty, homelessness, & hunger, and rid the world of terrorism.  

If Mike did all that, you'd still get, "well good for myke luhv, but SIP still sucks."  

I think the warm reception that Mike received at C50 showed that when Mike seemed to truly make an effort to heal old wounds, and to reunite in what initially from the outside appeared to be an action prioritizing the band's legacy above ego and petty differences, that far and away the vast majority of even Mike's biggest critics were ready to be respectful and happy to see him back in the context of the group unit.  That said, even at times where the future seems brightest in BB land, there will always be haters and people focusing on the bad stuff... not just about Mike, even about Brian... just like there were probably people talking about Smart Girls sucking right at the time The Smile Sessions finally was released.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:40:40 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 18, 2016, 10:30:11 AM »

I doubt he would do it to needlessly appease the few hundred "fans" who are bothered about.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:29:31 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx