gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:03:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 134317 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2016, 12:12:40 PM »

Random venting here.  Probably shouldn't say it, but here it goes.  I'm a glutton for punishment.  

Why is it when Mike and Bruce's band do the early 60s stuff, they're "living in the past" or "coasting on nostalgia."?

But, when Brian's band does these songs, it's "well, they're HIS songs."  Also, Brian is touring on his 1966 classic album Pet Sounds for the third time, yet that's not "living in the past" or "coasting on nostalgia."  

Oh, mini rant over.  I'll sit back and awaiting my beating.  

I can't speak for everyone, but for me this is why I label them as living in the past.

I think Brian's band highly respects the spiritual beauty of the music, which is probably why they don't let a cheerleader onto the stage to dance and play an instrument she doesn't know how to play. Yes, it's merely 'Barbara Ann' and they're having 'fun', but it's a cheesy nostalgia trip, plain and simple. The songs Brian and his band plays are nostalgic, but they seem to treat those songs like the art they are. 'Little Deuce Coupe' could be considered just another 60s car song...But Frank Zappa saw further into it and was enamored by the chord progression/structure in that song. Similarly, Brian-centric fans seem to be more engaged with the spiritual and artistic foundation of The Beach Boys' songs...which is why we are a bit more critical when we see cheerleaders flood the front of the crowd during a 'Beach Boys' concert.

I might agree with that except, when was the last time a Beach Boys concert featured actual cheerleaders on stage?  The presentation is much more respectful nowadays.

It seems that they are still using the cheerleader shtick in video form. In which case my point still stands. It is very much a nostalgia trip for the touring band. Whereas Brian's band doesn't seem to need surf boards and palm trees placed on the stage because the show is less about nostalgia and more centered around the beauty of the music itself.

If you strip away the couple of palm trees and the video board that M&B use, they still present a very good version of the classic material.  

That may be, but the stage props and video board are there for a reason. They are supposed to create a nostalgic/fun atmosphere for the songs that are played. Some of us find that it detracts from the artistic foundation of the songs. And in answer to your initial question, that is a probable reason as to why some fans are more critical of Mike when his band performs the classic 60s songs.

I do believe they still have cheerleaders out on occasion for "Be True..", from local areas.

I thought I remember seeing a video of some local area cheerleaders at a recent (2015) concert of theirs. But I could be totally be misremembering.

I wonder who was responsible for the idea of the SMiLE Sessions surfboard? That was such a cheesy and bizarre item that totally contradicted the material. Maybe Brian greenlit the idea in the end, though I assume it originated from some marketing knucklehead suit's idea.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »

I didn't see cheerleaders at the last M^B show I attended but when I went to the C50 shows in Royal Albert Hall and Wembley Arena, they had a screen showing young people in swimsuits, palm trees, beaches during the first half. Mike himself said it was a show in two halves (meaning first and second) but many a true word spoken in jest. The first half was more typical of a M&B show.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2016, 12:19:48 PM »

Bit of a dumb question, but for those of you have attended a M&B show, how would you rate it out of 10?

I haven't seen the latest M&B shows - the last time was in 2014. They have upped their game since I saw them in 2004 but they still tend to concentrate mainly on the early years of The Beach Boys' career. I have mixed, indeed conflicting, feelings about that. On the one hand, I think it gives a false and limiting interpretation of what The Beach Boys meant rather than fully protecting their legacy - imagine a touring Beatles band mainly playing She Loves You, Twist and Shout, Please Please Me and missing out most of Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper and more. On the other hand, songs like Til I Die, that Mike allegedly found depressing, or morbid or whatever he said, and Surf's Up with its VDP 'acid alliteration', Caroline No, which was originally a Brian Wilson single - these songs are so Brian's. Brian believed in them and was prepared to take a chance rather than play it safe. I resent Mike laying claim to them now that they are generally accepted as being great.

So my marks out of 10 for the M&B BBs. I'd probably give a 6, points deducted for an inaccurate impression of the band and for Mike's stage antics although that has improved a bit too. They mainly behave like a tribute band but they're not necessarily giving tribute to the best songs of The Beach Boys' career.
Ang - The Touring Band has come lightyears since 2004.  Those BB published songs are in the "style of the BB's" which is what is a condition of the touring license as I understand.  Mike was a part of the Surf's Up/Holland era and contributed (writing with Al a bit) and as published in the BB catalog.  The Touring Band has performed some of those songs, as recently as February when I was lucky to see them during an East Coast US tour.  I don't see it as the Touring Band "taking claim" as much as "expanding their performing set-lists" to their credit, growing in the job.   Those songs are BB work-product.  IIRC Mike accompanied Brian to Capitol, with Pet Sounds.  That does not look like not being supportive.  

Being part of BRI does not look like not being supportive.  The Paris Gaumont Palace interview clears all of that misconception up.

Let's not forget that Capitol under-promoted Pet Sounds and released a Best of Volume I,  less than 8 weeks post Pet Sounds, apparently feeling that they were at the "end of their production" dollar value.  Establishment of BRI to have more artistic control illustrates that they were all willing to take a financial risk to support Brian's and their work.  

Let's not forget that Mike called this "Brian's ego music' either. My guess is that Mike liked some of the music (with exceptions, like the Hang on to Your Ego lyric) but was worried about how it would be received by the public, which of course is understandable but I think perhaps he should have realised that they had to keep up or else they would have fallen so far behind. Brian was aware of the competition from bands like The Beatles and was anxious not just to rely on the style that was becoming dated.

As I have written, I attended a show in 2014 so I've seen them a lot more recently than 2004. I accept they've improved since then too.

I drew attention in the thread about how Capitol should have acted in 1966 to the unfortunate release of a Best of compilation in competition with Pet Sounds.

Right on target, Ang, but I've gotts ask, why did it take all those years for myKe luHv's band to improve (as you said)? Was it a case of musicians wanting to work but not with him? Was it a case of myKe settling for the status quo or not wanting to part with the cashola. Lastly, why was Brian's band so incredible out of the gate?

My guess is simply that Mike was trying to compete with Brian and went to some lengths to improve the show. They got two people who had worked with Brian, of course, Jeff Foskett and Brian Eichenberger, and having worked with Brian and his band during C50 perhaps was instructive too.

Brian was always more concerned with the music than just a lightweight, fun sort of event and often though not invariably played venues where musical quality was more important. Less noticeable at race tracks and county fairs with an audience who want to throw beach balls about. Those beach balls... it's harmless but I prefer to take music more seriously. I don't want to be hit on the head whilst trying to listen to God Only Knows, thanks very much!
KDS
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2016, 12:21:48 PM »

Random venting here.  Probably shouldn't say it, but here it goes.  I'm a glutton for punishment.  

Why is it when Mike and Bruce's band do the early 60s stuff, they're "living in the past" or "coasting on nostalgia."?

But, when Brian's band does these songs, it's "well, they're HIS songs."  Also, Brian is touring on his 1966 classic album Pet Sounds for the third time, yet that's not "living in the past" or "coasting on nostalgia."  

I can't speak for everyone, but for me this is why I label them as living in the past.

I think Brian's band highly respects the spiritual beauty of the music, which is probably why they don't let a cheerleader onto the stage to dance and play an instrument she doesn't know how to play. Yes, it's merely 'Barbara Ann' and they're having 'fun', but it's a cheesy nostalgia trip, plain and simple. The songs Brian and his band plays are nostalgic, but they seem to treat those songs like the art they are. 'Little Deuce Coupe' could be considered just another 60s car song...But Frank Zappa saw further into it and was enamored by the chord progression/structure in that song. Similarly, Brian-centric fans seem to be more engaged with the spiritual and artistic foundation of The Beach Boys' songs...which is why we are a bit more critical when we see cheerleaders flood the front of the crowd during a 'Beach Boys' concert.

I might agree with that except, when was the last time a Beach Boys concert featured actual cheerleaders on stage?  The presentation is much more respectful nowadays.

It seems that they are still using the cheerleader shtick in video form. In which case my point still stands. It is very much a nostalgia trip for the touring band. Whereas Brian's band doesn't seem to need surf boards and palm trees placed on the stage because the show is less about nostalgia and more centered around the beauty of the music itself.

If you strip away the couple of palm trees and the video board that M&B use, they still present a very good version of the classic material.  

That may be, but the stage props and video board are there for a reason. They are supposed to create a nostalgic/fun atmosphere for the songs that are played. Some of us find that it detracts from the artistic foundation of the songs. And in answer to your initial question, that is a probable reason as to why some fans are more critical of Mike when his band performs the classic 60s songs.

I do believe they still have cheerleaders out on occasion for "Be True..", from local areas.

I thought I remember seeing a video of some local area cheerleaders at a recent (2015) concert of theirs. But I could be totally be misremembering.

I'm sorry, but if palm trees and videos "detract from the artistic foundation of the songs," that just sounds like trying to find something / anything to poke at.  

How many bands do video boards or have props on stage?  Does is really detract from the songs?  
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2016, 12:24:47 PM »

I wonder who was responsible for the idea of the SMiLE Sessions surfboard? That was such a cheesy and bizarre item that totally contradicted the material. Maybe Brian greenlit the idea in the end, though I assume it originated from some marketing knucklehead suit's idea.

That always floored me. I think there was also a No Pier Pressure surfboard for Brian's latest solo release...But better they're being sold online than being displayed at concerts.

Less noticeable at race tracks and county fairs with an audience who want to throw beach balls about. Those beach balls... it's harmless but I prefer to take music more seriously.

A few were tossed about at one Brian concert I went to last year - needless to say they didn't stay out for very long at all...probably a minute haha

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2016, 12:40:19 PM »

I'm sorry, but if palm trees and videos "detract from the artistic foundation of the songs," that just sounds like trying to find something / anything to poke at.  

How many bands do video boards or have props on stage?  Does is really detract from the songs?  

For the touring band, the props and videos work perfectly well for the shows they put on....They create an atmosphere for concert-goers who pay to listen to classic tunes, dance, and have fun...most bands do this. I'm not knocking it, I'm just saying that a certain sect of fans find that it pegs the music into one stereotype of fun-in-the-sun...And thus it detracts from the experience that those people want to have.

Brian's band doesn't feel the need to use props or videos much because many of the people who attend their concerts are there for a deeper experience than nostalgia or fun. It is why those at a Brian concert would probably be more inclined to give a standing ovation to 'Surfs Up' than 'Kokomo'. I apologize if my opinion is offending you, I'm really not trying to find things to poke at, I'm just telling it how I see it.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2016, 12:44:40 PM »

For the touring band, the props and videos work perfectly well for the shows they put on....They create an atmosphere for concert-goers who pay to listen to classic tunes, dance, and have fun...most bands do this. I'm not knocking it, I'm just saying that a certain sect of fans find that it pegs the music into one stereotype of fun-in-the-sun...And thus it detracts from the experience that those people want to have.

Brian's band doesn't feel the need to use props or videos much because many of the people who attend their concerts are there for a deeper experience than nostalgia or fun. It is why those at a Brian concert would probably be more inclined to give a standing ovation to 'Surfs Up' than 'Kokomo'. I apologize if my opinion is offending you, I'm really not trying to find things to poke at, I'm just telling it how I see it.

Rab,

You're not offending me. 

I just happen to get the same enjoyment of hearing the songs done by both groups, regardless of what is or isn't onstage with the group. 

So, I'll just respectfully disagree.

And Ang,

Personally, I'm not a fan of beach balls at ANY concert or ball game, etc.  That can be extremely distracting if you're trying to watch the band and you have to keep the flying beach balls in your field of vision. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: May 05, 2016, 12:45:47 PM »

This is all just an outgrowth of other debates, like the John Stamos conundrum, or whether it's better to do big shows in big cities or a larger amount of smaller shows in smaller markets. It's emblematic of an underlying cultural/social/political issue in some cases (not always; I'm not trying to overanalyze here), and sometimes that probably veers too far into "Sandbox" territory (which I'm not interested in here).

Some people think a more respectable (and thus respected) image for the band is better. Some people think that it's a bigger deal to play Madison Square Garden than the Cleveland Rib Cook-off or a bowling alley in Anchorage. Others feel that such an argument is immediately somehow an elitist argument.

Palm trees on a stage (fake or real, I guess) aren't a big deal. It's another symptom of a different tone and approach and sensibility. It doesn't mean Brian has his whole band dress in formal wear and only play opera houses. Indeed, Brian and Mike actually sometimes play some of the *same* venues, do some of the same songs, and so on.

Mike has stripped away a lot of the tacky aspects of his show, and I think Brian's solo touring (the format, the setlist, the openness to catering to "hardcore" fans more, the build-up of the band's credibility in more "indie" circles, etc.) has been one of the reasons for that. Ironically, Mike has improved the performance quality and setlists of his shows while simultaneously opting out of touring with all of the surviving members. That's how you end up with this weird cognitive dissonance of Mike finally embracing (or at least tolerating, and/or capitalizing on goodwill from fans) stuff like "Surf's Up" and other Brian-centric deep cuts, while eschewing actually touring with Brian or Al and having sidemen sing those songs.

Frankly, I think Mike and his fans have little reason to complain (not that anybody is, in this particular thread anyway). He pretty much is having his cake and eating it too. He does his "party band" thing, with women being invited up on stage and Stamos thrashing around on drums, and also capitalizes on the goodwill Brian has engendered with deep cuts, without actually having to share the stage with Brian, to cede any control over anything to do with touring, without having to compromise with anyone, without hearing the crowd cheer more for Brian even when he just burps.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 05, 2016, 12:56:07 PM »

Rab,

You're not offending me.  

I just happen to get the same enjoyment of hearing the songs done by both groups, regardless of what is or isn't onstage with the group.  

So, I'll just respectfully disagree.

But I'm not saying that there aren't people who enjoy both. I'm saying that there are a certain sect of fans who find the touring band's show to be geared towards nostalgia, and these fans don't enjoy that (which is why they are more inclined to enjoy a Brian show that focuses more on the music and less on the nostalgia), and thus they are critical of the performance...Which is merely a logical response to your initial question.

Props to you for enjoying both shows, I'm sure many people here would and do enjoy both. Everyone has different tastes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:57:00 PM by rab2591 » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 05, 2016, 01:08:34 PM »

The proof is really in this question I'll pose here:

How many people get emotional, truly shedding a tear or two, being overwhelmed by the sheer emotional force of the music at a Brian Wilson show vs. the same happening at a M&B show? I have gotten choked up more than once at Brian shows. I honestly think that a bunch of cheesy props might get in the way of the emotional synapses firing in the same way if I were to attend a M&B show (which I admittedly haven't attended in a decade +).

I'm not saying that people aren't capable of being touched at M&B shows, but that the atmosphere there with things like props + cheerleaders + Stamos is likely to lend itself to the music being less of an emotional whopper to people in a general, overall sense - relatively speaking.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:14:50 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 05, 2016, 01:18:58 PM »

Yes, props to those of us less engaged with the spiritual and artistic foundation of The Beach Boys' songs.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 05, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »

The proof is really in this question I'll pose here:

How many people get emotional, truly shedding a tear or two, being overwhelmed by the sheer emotional force of the music at a Brian Wilson show vs. the same happening at a M&B show? I have gotten choked up more than once at Brian shows. I honestly think that a bunch of cheesy props might get in the way of the emotional synapses firing in the same way if I were to attend a M&B show (which I admittedly haven't attended in a decade +).

Exactly. They are different shows geared towards different types of fan. KDS and others enjoy both, others enjoy one or the other. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with any of that. The touring band performance doesn't at all look like my cup of tea. I'm indeed more inclined to close my eyes and enjoy the ethereal/spiritual beauty of the live harmonies at a Brian Wilson show...and I'm more allowed to do that without distraction there. A few years ago I probably would've enjoyed knocking back a few and dancing/singing to the touring band. Some enjoy both. Different strokes, different folks.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2016, 02:06:15 PM »

A nostalgia trip? That would be milking an album - again - that is a half century old. A nostalgia trip? That would be asking ex-Beach Boy Al Jardine to join in the nostalgia trip, not to sing the handful of tracks he sang on a recent album, but to cover a few surf & turf classics! A nostalgia trip? How about asking another ex-Beach Boy, Brian's good friend What's His Name, to sing a couple songs from another 42 year-old Beach Boys' album.

And, speaking of recent albums...Brian's been a solo performer a lot longer than he's been a Beach Boy, almost thirty years now. Yet he almost completely ignores his solo material. Maybe he doesn't like his solo songs. Or, maybe he doesn't know his solo songs; most people don't.

A question for you, rab2591. What does Brian Wilson have in common with that cheerleader on stage with an instrument she doesn't know what to do with?

And, speaking of cheerleaders and plants and trees on stage. Hey, that's just old Mike Love trying to give the audience a little added touch. Now Brian, well, he has to watch his bottom line. I mean, it's not enough he gets paid for Beach Boys' shows, he has an 80 gig tour of his own! Talk about the goose who laid the golden egg... Now, rab2591, do you think 74 year-old Brian really - REALLY! - wants to be playing 80 gig tours with his mental health issues, his penchant for stage fright, his aching back, and a young family at home? But, I'm glad he's making people happy; I know that is important to him.

And then there's this talk about Mike copying Brian's shows and "upping his game". Don't forget that Mike & Bruce were playing "Wild Honey" live a few years ago before old Blondie Chaplin returned with his guest appearances. Roll over John Cowsill!!!!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2016, 02:27:39 PM »

Brian is doing what he wants....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: May 05, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »

And then there's this talk about Mike copying Brian's shows and "upping his game". Don't forget that Mike & Bruce were playing "Wild Honey" live a few years ago before old Blondie Chaplin returned with his guest appearances. Roll over John Cowsill!!!!!

Not that it matters (really, we're into "who added the deep cut first?" territory?), but Al's "Family & Friends" were doing "Wild Honey" with Matt on lead in 1999 and 2000, before Mike's band ever did it, and before Cowsill was even in Mike's band. I think the last time it had been in the setlist was 1976 with Carl on lead, and it didn't last long during that timeframe either.

Both Brian and Al (in the limited capacity he was able to) were doing more deep cuts in 1999 and 2000 than Mike was. Eventually, spurred by Brian (and perhaps a bit, in concept anyway, by Al) and other factors, he started adding more.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 05, 2016, 02:38:23 PM »

I like a beer and Chardonnay. Mostly one follows the other but occasionally I may have several of one. Both are great!

Bit like Beach Boys music really.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: May 05, 2016, 02:42:14 PM »

And, speaking of cheerleaders and plants and trees on stage. Hey, that's just old Mike Love trying to give the audience a little added touch. Now Brian, well, he has to watch his bottom line. I mean, it's not enough he gets paid for Beach Boys' shows, he has an 80 gig tour of his own! Talk about the goose who laid the golden egg... Now, rab2591, do you think 74 year-old Brian really - REALLY! - wants to be playing 80 gig tours with his mental health issues, his penchant for stage fright, his aching back, and a young family at home? But, I'm glad he's making people happy; I know that is important to him.

I'd venture to guess Mike personally grosses more money per year playing his licensed shows, and also collecting the same 25% of his own license fee as Brian does, than Brian does on his tour and his 25% cut of the licensing fee.

"Goose who laid the golden egg?" It takes some balls to contend (I'm assuming) that Mike is the "goose" for Brian, considering the songwriting breakdown in their respective setlists that I posted above.

Brian is the "goose" for all of these guys, and has been since 1961. Dennis said this way back then, Al will tell you this now. Guess who won't? Doesn't mean they're not all talented. But c'mon.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:43:15 PM by HeyJude » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 05, 2016, 02:42:44 PM »

Brian is doing what he wants....

Brian is controlled and still medicated. It used to be the indiscriminate use of street drugs, but now it’s prescribed drugs. Duh.

A nostalgia trip? That would be milking an album - again - that is a half century old. A nostalgia trip? That would be asking ex-Beach Boy Al Jardine to join in the nostalgia trip, not to sing the handful of tracks he sang on a recent album, but to cover a few surf & turf classics! A nostalgia trip? How about asking another ex-Beach Boy, Brian's good friend What's His Name, to sing a couple songs from another 42 year-old Beach Boys' album.

Your point? If you actually read the post you quoted of mine, you'd see that I agree there is a certain level of nostalgia at Brian's concerts....you know, the part where I wrote "The songs Brian and his band plays are nostalgic"

Al Jardine? He sings on 'One Kind Of Love' in the background (which is in fact a Brian Wilson solo song, as is 'Love and Mercy' which are both played at his shows).

And, speaking of cheerleaders and plants and trees on stage. Hey, that's just old Mike Love trying to give the audience a little added touch.

Yep, and I said as much. He puts on a show geared towards a specific audience. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Now, rab2591, do you think 74 year-old Brian really - REALLY! - wants to be playing 80 gig tours with his mental health issues, his penchant for stage fright, his aching back, and a young family at home?

yet you write...

In my opinion, Brian Wilson can do and say anything, and largely NOT be held accountable for it, because he is mentally ill.

Oh, so he can do anything he wants to do because he's mentally ill, but he can't refuse to tour? Which is it, Sheriff?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 05, 2016, 02:46:11 PM »

Right rab, sounds like sheriff has nostalgia for the mentally ill BW forced on stage during the 1970s. Is Mike forced to stay away from his family to your ever bowling alley and low rent venue around?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: May 05, 2016, 02:46:29 PM »

A question for you, rab2591. What does Brian Wilson have in common with that cheerleader on stage with an instrument she doesn't know what to do with?

Yes, because that cheerleader has the same ability to play guitar as Brian does to play piano? If you want to be taken seriously, try a better analogy.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 05, 2016, 03:00:04 PM »

I might agree with that except, when was the last time a Beach Boys concert featured actual cheerleaders on stage?  The presentation is much more respectful nowadays.

Oh, I'm sorry I watched that. Disappointing.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 05, 2016, 03:01:52 PM »

The full-time cheerleaders on tour ended a long time ago. Were they even still in the show regularly when Carl and Al did their last touring in 1997?

It's funny, though. People have mentioned the cheerleaders from the past and Totten's "guitar" thing with ladies on stage as two examples of tackiness, and I found a pic (dated March 23, 2013) that combines both!

I'm sorry I saw that. Disappointing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 05, 2016, 03:03:50 PM »

Exactly.....

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 05, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »

And, speaking of recent albums...Brian's been a solo performer a lot longer than he's been a Beach Boy, almost thirty years now. Yet he almost completely ignores his solo material. Maybe he doesn't like his solo songs. Or, maybe he doesn't know his solo songs; most people don't.

Brian certainly seemed to be enjoying himself last weekend when I saw them perform.
So, what does Brian have in common with that cheerleader Sheriff John Stone?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: May 05, 2016, 03:16:54 PM »

Now, rab2591, do you think 74 year-old Brian really - REALLY! - wants to be playing 80 gig tours with his mental health issues, his penchant for stage fright, his aching back, and a young family at home?

Unless something changed extremely recently, the answer is yes. And as for the rest of it...you seem to think Brian is incapable of doing anything himself.  He'd certainly disagree with that sentiment, as would anybody who actually is around.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx