gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 134299 times)
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 02:09:48 PM »

I've never seen a BB show with no Wilsons, but I'm tempted to catch them next Tuesday at this cool old theater in Brooklyn, with a great Groupon discount:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-beach-boys-6

I'd definitely take the offer up. When they play theatres, rather than outdoor venues, they often do longer shows with more of the unusual songs, not just the hits, so you'll more than get your money's worth. Looking at the setlist they were playing in theatres last week ( http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2016/granada-theatre-santa-barbara-ca-3f3dd4b.html ), there's some great stuff in there -- Good To My Baby, All This Is That, Til I Die -- that they only do at that kind of venue, and that they do *very* well (Jeff sounds absolutely gorgeous on All This Is That). For the kind of prices they're asking on that site, it'll probably be the best value show you've ever been to...

I can't remember who posted it.  

But somebody on this forum (might've been the 2015 M&B thread) said if you post song requests on Mike's Facebook page, he sometimes includes them.

I'm going to try that next week for the theater gig I'm seeing in Baltimore.  

"Hang on to Your Ego" and "Cabinessence"!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:32:54 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 08:32:38 AM »

Just a heads-up for anyone on the fence about the Brooklyn NY show on Feb. 9th -- there's a great discount offer for last-minute tickets on Groupon:

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2016, 05:40:08 PM »

Heard an advertisement on the radio for the Baltimore show today...never heard a radio plug for them before! It consisted of the chorus of "Good Vibrations" with a cheesy voice-over assuring we would hear ALL the hits. They also clearly defined that the band was featuring Mike Love and Bruce Johnston, thought that was nice considering the occasional confusion with press/media releases.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 07:49:56 PM »

Just a heads-up for anyone on the fence about the Brooklyn NY show on Feb. 9th -- there's a great discount offer for last-minute tickets on Groupon:

Per Groupon, the backing band includes "Randell Kirsch, Scott Totem, Christian Love (of Mike Love’s loins)".
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 02:29:55 PM »

Bought two 15 dollar tix and am taking a friend tomorrow in Brooklyn.  The theater itself is a draw for me.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 09:39:48 PM »

Saw the M&B BBs at the Kings Theater tonight and was impressed.  Very tight band and vocals with some great deep cuts.  Don't Back Down, 'Til I Die, and Farmer's Daughter among others.  Was an almost "Full House" and a great venue with excellent acoustics.  Mike seemed hoarse but his (and Bruce's) vocals were fine.  Mike's patter was fun and restrained.  Gave a heartfelt observance of the recent anniversary of Carl's passing.  Also referred nicely to his "cousin Brian".

It wasn't the religious experience a Brian gig is for me, but I had a great time as did the whole audience who were into it.  The band is like half the size of Brian's, and only 5 vocalists, so you don't get that same wall of sound, but they were excellent and tight and filled the room.  Foskett was in great voice (seemed a bit subdued),  Totten is a terrific guitar player, channeling those great Carl leads with just the right amount of added pizazz.  And John Cowsill is maybe the best BB related drummer I have witnessed!  Really, he is great.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 12:05:39 AM »

Per Groupon, the backing band includes "Randell Kirsch, Scott Totem, Christian Love (of Mike Love’s loins)".

Thanks. I really needed to read that before breakfast...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 09:11:40 AM »

Saw the M&B BBs at the Kings Theater tonight and was impressed.  Very tight band and vocals with some great deep cuts.  Don't Back Down, 'Til I Die, and Farmer's Daughter among others.  Was an almost "Full House" and a great venue with excellent acoustics.  Mike seemed hoarse but his (and Bruce's) vocals were fine.  Mike's patter was fun and restrained.  Gave a heartfelt observance of the recent anniversary of Carl's passing.  Also referred nicely to his "cousin Brian".

It wasn't the religious experience a Brian gig is for me, but I had a great time as did the whole audience who were into it.  The band is like half the size of Brian's, and only 5 vocalists, so you don't get that same wall of sound, but they were excellent and tight and filled the room.  Foskett was in great voice (seemed a bit subdued),  Totten is a terrific guitar player, channeling those great Carl leads with just the right amount of added pizazz.  And John Cowsill is maybe the best BB related drummer I have witnessed!  Really, he is great.
I always looked at myself as one of the Beach Boys greatest fans, but you have me beat. I have been to 50 plus shows between the Boys' and Brian and never, ever did it feel like a religious experience. But then again, I never felt that fun & euphoria come over me during church or catechism class. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 09:36:58 AM »

This looks just like the review I was going to leave! I was blown away by the show. Generally speaking my heart is with Brian's shows, but Mike and the guys came to the plate tremendously at this beautiful theater.

The deep cuts were a treat to hear. Farmer's Daughter, 'Til I Die, The Warmth of the Sun, All This Is That, Ballad of Ole Betsy and plenty more. 

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring was breathtaking, probably the highlight of the night for me. Acapella with Mike, Bruce, Scott and Brian Eichenberger at the front of the stage doing close harmonies. The song was done at a much brisker pace than I'd ever heard it, which was interesting. Pin-drop silence as the audience hung on every word.   

I thought Bruce sounded unusually strong on You're So Good To Me and Disney Girls.

It was a long show, and Mike took the lead on an astounding number of songs. Just amazing he can do this every show.

All the BBs greatest hits sounded strong. Do It Again and Darlin' were particular standouts for me, both with killer drumming by John Cowsill.

Great night!

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 10:00:43 AM »

I always looked at myself as one of the Beach Boys greatest fans, but you have me beat. I have been to 50 plus shows between the Boys' and Brian and never, ever did it feel like a religious experience. But then again, I never felt that fun & euphoria come over me during church or catechism class. Wink

:/

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 10:12:43 AM »

This looks just like the review I was going to leave! I was blown away by the show. Generally speaking my heart is with Brian's shows, but Mike and the guys came to the plate tremendously at this beautiful theater.

The deep cuts were a treat to hear. Farmer's Daughter, 'Til I Die, The Warmth of the Sun, All This Is That, Ballad of Ole Betsy and plenty more. 

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring was breathtaking, probably the highlight of the night for me. Acapella with Mike, Bruce, Scott and Brian Eichenberger at the front of the stage doing close harmonies. The song was done at a much brisker pace than I'd ever heard it, which was interesting. Pin-drop silence as the audience hung on every word.   

I thought Bruce sounded unusually strong on You're So Good To Me and Disney Girls.

It was a long show, and Mike took the lead on an astounding number of songs. Just amazing he can do this every show.

All the BBs greatest hits sounded strong. Do It Again and Darlin' were particular standouts for me, both with killer drumming by John Cowsill.

Great night!

Yeah, "Their Hearts Were full of Spring" was likely the highlight.  Perfect in that setting.  And very touching.

It seemed the heart and focus of the show was not "the hits" although they were well performed and received.  The 1st part of the "2nd part" was very deep and moody.  Lots of "in-between" cuts (between hits and deep) like "Darlin'", "I Can Hear Music", :California Dreaming'",  "Do You Wanna Dance?".  In fact they performed about 4/5s of "Today"!

My quibbles would be some of the video stuff was distracting -- showing the original videos n some songs was a little head scratching.  "Carl" on lead vocals on "God Only Knows" I'm not sure about.  And Mike's song "Pisces Brothers" dedicated to George Harrison was pretty self serving, not to mention a lame tune!

But quibbles they are.  Gotta give credit where it is due, and clearly Mike and Bruce rose to the occasion.

KDS
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »

I like the presentation they do with the footage from the past 55 years. 

Although I'll admit I had a chuckle when I saw them last summer, and during Kokomo, the video they showed had the VH1 Classic logo on the bottom right. 

Judging from this review, I'm really looking forward to seeing them a week from tonight. 
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »

I'm very glad that Americans are getting to see something approaching the shows Mike & Bruce have been bringing to the UK for years. Everyone has fun at a twenty-to-thirty-song hits show, of course, but these long theatre shows give the band a real chance to show that they can represent all sides of the music.
I too have never had the transcendent experience at a Mike & Bruce show that I've had at some of the better Brian shows, but the shows last year, and in 2008, came *very* close...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 12:11:11 PM »

Wow! Sounds might powerful...just as I had been hoping when they announced The Lyric gig. Hopefully the setlist holds up, or continues to grow! Especially hoping to hear "Till I Die" and "The Warmth of The Sun"...would be amazing to add in "All I Wanna Do"...and get "Wild Honey" back on there!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2016, 01:11:15 PM »

"I Can Hear Music"
Forgot about this one... that was a treat to hear live too. Fine vocals by Jeff, and I love the handclap/'hold me tight' section towards the end where the instruments drop out. Sweet rendition.

My quibbles would be some of the video stuff was distracting -- showing the original videos n some songs was a little head scratching. 
I can't disagree that it sometimes got distracting. They ran the original 'Getcha Back' video from the 80s, where a geeky doofus in a screaming white suit tries to get the woman of his dreams... it was extremely funny, and towards the end I realized I had tuned out the song entirely.  LOL

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2016, 01:50:59 PM »

[/quote]
I can't disagree that it sometimes got distracting. They ran the original 'Getcha Back' video from the 80s, where a geeky doofus in a screaming white suit tries to get the woman of his dreams... it was extremely funny, and towards the end I realized I had tuned out the song entirely.  LOL

[/quote]

Exactly.  On the other hand some of the flashback photos and video were quite touching.

baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:50 AM »

Wow! Sounds might powerful...just as I had been hoping when they announced The Lyric gig. Hopefully the setlist holds up, or continues to grow! Especially hoping to hear "Till I Die" and "The Warmth of The Sun"...would be amazing to add in "All I Wanna Do"...and get "Wild Honey" back on there!
I honestly think if enough of us request All I Wanna Do they'll play it for sure.
KDS
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 09:40:58 AM »

I honestly think if enough of us request All I Wanna Do they'll play it for sure.

I'm planning on making a request on both Mike and TBB Facebook pages for All I Wanna Do, Til I Die, and Warmth of the Sun. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 10:27:37 AM »

I'm planning on making a request on both Mike and TBB Facebook pages for All I Wanna Do, Til I Die, and Warmth of the Sun. 

I'm in!  Grin
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »

All I Wanna Do would be lovely to hear live. I think that was the only deep cut I wanted to hear AND had a good chance of hearing that they didn't do at the Brooklyn show.

I must say too, I thought that the relatively adventurous setlist was well-rewarded, which was great to see. I felt like the crowd was quite attentive for the deep and semi-deep cuts; none of that 'everyone heading to the restrooms' dynamic you sometimes get at shows when a band leaves off playing the songs that everybody knows.

KDS
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2016, 11:23:02 AM »

I'm in!  Grin

Sounds good. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 11:35:24 AM »

All I Wanna Do would be lovely to hear live. I think that was the only deep cut I wanted to hear AND had a good chance of hearing that they didn't do at the Brooklyn show.

I must say too, I thought that the relatively adventurous setlist was well-rewarded, which was great to see. I felt like the crowd was quite attentive for the deep and semi-deep cuts; none of that 'everyone heading to the restrooms' dynamic you sometimes get at shows when a band leaves off playing the songs that everybody knows.

That's the key. A balance is definitely required, but Mike and Bruce are keeping that in tact just fine. There's plenty of room for more deep works when doing qinter theatre gigs like this.
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2016, 10:08:59 PM »

I saw the touring Beach Boys tonight in Colingswood, NJ.  All in all a very decent effort turned in by the boys of summer tonight.  They seemed to have started out just a tad bit sluggish, this was their second show of the day.  All members were in excellent vocal form, this seemed to be a great.  A few very interesting observations from the show.  Jeff Foskett used his new signature 12 string guitar during WIBN and SJB as well as Cal Girls, quite an interesting looking guitar.  Dennis Wilson on lead vocals for Do you wanna dance, in the original tempo takes away from the faster tempo it had with Bruce on lead.  Overall a very nice show with a few deeper cuts but one can def not complain!  Setlist as follows

Surfin'
Catch a Wave
Don't Back Down
Little Honda
Do It Again
Goin' to the Beach
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Farmer's Daughter
Good to My Baby
You're So Good to Me
Dance, Dance, Dance
I'm So Young
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
Darlin
Be True to Your School
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Then I Kissed Her
California Girls
Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
The Warmth of the Sun
God Only Knows
Pisces Brothers
Good Vibrations
Do You Wanna Dance?
Help Me, Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' U.S.A.

Encore:
Kokomo
Fun, Fun, Fun
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:18:56 PM by lastofmykind » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2016, 06:58:54 AM »

Put in good word for some deep cuts...all we can do is wait and see! Mike and Bruce with this band in The Lyric Opera House is going to be sensational in itself...it can only get better from there!
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2016, 10:01:52 AM »

Put in mine too, hopefully at least one gets played. I'm sure we all requested all I wanna do so maybe on that one fingers crossed. The way it's going maybe we can get a 50 song set since they've had a few days off haha. We shall see tomorrow, can't wait!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx