gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:02:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Future 50 year/copyright releases  (Read 13549 times)
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »

Sure John, I agree, it's great that we've received what we've had so far, and I don't doubt that the releases we've had have been better than the bare legal minimum required in terms of track listing thanks to having Mark and Alan involved. But they can't spirit Capitol budget out of nothing if there's no will in the Tower to spend it. It sounds as though that willingness was there for The Big Beat '63, as there were lots of tracks new to official release on there that needed further copyright protection. And KAEOS '64 may have been a special case, as in addition to the legally required tracks for the 1964 copyright extension, there were these other tracks that had already been mixed for a canned two-CD release of mixes of 1964 material prepared from the returned Shut Down Vol.2 multitrack work tapes a few years back. So KAEOS '64 ended up combining all of these available 1964 tracks, and Capitol were happy to put it out with all those tracks, because they'd paid for some of it already and the rest needed to happen for the copyright extension anyway.

For 1965 on, that might mean the copyright extension set for studio recordings  - if there is one at all - is not as lavish as the 1964 one.

May I be double-wrong in all of this, with an extra side helping of 'inaccurate', and grated 'utterly mistaken' sprinkles on top...!
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2015, 04:59:57 PM »

Yeah, if Lee's right (though I must say that makes little sense from a copyright perspective to me, but I am not a lawyer...) we won't see one. The only unreleased songs, other than the Party tracks, I know of are Stella By Starlight, How Deep is the Ocean, and Three Blind Mice. I don't see them being worth UMG's while to put a set around.

Also "Sandy, She Needs Me," right?
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2015, 05:15:14 PM »

I'm hoping Carry Me Home will be released in 2023 as a copyright extension
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2015, 06:16:20 PM »

Yeah, if Lee's right (though I must say that makes little sense from a copyright perspective to me, but I am not a lawyer...) we won't see one. The only unreleased songs, other than the Party tracks, I know of are Stella By Starlight, How Deep is the Ocean, and Three Blind Mice. I don't see them being worth UMG's while to put a set around.

Three Blind Mice was released on The Smile Sessions box set.  Hard to understand why when there was more Smile stuff that was omitted, but there it is.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2015, 07:40:36 PM »

I'm hoping Carry Me Home will be released in 2023 as a copyright extension

There's gotta be some worthy Love You era outtakes looking for a 2027 release! - We Gotta Groove, Clangin', Hey There Momma . . . .

. . . the list goes on . . . maybe someone could compile a list of possible / probable inclusions for next 45 years -  can't wait 'til 2062 so I can hear (assuming I still have my hearing, if I'm indeed still alive) that 2012 version of She Believes In Love Again!

This all assumes that the copyright laws don't change again!

Anyways, the best thing we can do is buy these sets so that there is a good incentive for the company to keep releasing them.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:44:12 PM by thetojo » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2015, 11:18:56 PM »

Sandy was only (as far as I'm aware) a backing track and tag vocals, and those were released on the Made In California mix of Sherry She Needs Me (along with the 1976 [or whenever -- around then] lead vocal).

And yeah, I forgot about Three Blind Mice being on the Smile Sessions set.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2015, 08:58:42 AM »

Sandy was only (as far as I'm aware) a backing track and tag vocals, and those were released on the Made In California mix of Sherry She Needs Me (along with the 1976 [or whenever -- around then] lead vocal).

I was thinking there were two versions of "Sandy" recorded during the SDSN sessions.  A fully produced track with '76 vocal was released on MiC, but I thought the March 29, 1965 SOT version with some BVs was a different track.  Am I mistaken on this?

I figured since they released unfinished tracks on previous copyright protection releases, they might release  the alternate "Sandy" as well.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »

And my understanding is that the label puts them out to extend copyright not to make money. And, while I too love physical releases, the handwriting is on the wall, CDs are being phased out.  The new macs don't even come with a cd port!

That's because they are trying to make them slim as possible..  You can still hook one up with a USB.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2015, 07:21:39 AM »

BTW, the 1963 and 1964 copyright extension sets WERE released on CD somewhere in Europe and I believe are still available. And it's been confirmed that they're legit and made from lossless sources.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 08:07:07 AM »

I don't recall that, Upside-down Follow-up To Pet Sounds... I remember establishing that some of the EU-based on-line music sites were selling lossless files truly derived from the production masters (ie NOT MP3s back-upscaled to lossless files, with the MP3 compression still in them)... but I don't remember anyone selling CDs. Or not legit Capitol/EMI authorised ones, anyway.

Not saying you're wrong, by the way - just that *I* haven't encountered CDs of The Big Beat or KAEOS '64 being on sale here in Europe...!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:10:22 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 09:02:26 AM »

I absolutely love these concerts. I wonder why there has not been a formal (or informal for that matter) press release? Perhaps there is something else coming?
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2015, 09:04:07 AM »

It's just a barebones release to get the stuff out to protect the copyright. I doubt any money was spent on PR - it's not necessary. By now Universal and company know that this news will spread around the forums quickly, so why not use the free advertising?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »

I agree with bryand.....the Chicago concerts are amazing. Listening to them, I reconnect with the BB  I heard as a teen. Fun, funny and exciting rock music. Yes, lots of flubs , lyrics missed etc---   But just like being on stage, a great representation. Incidentally, am finding Carls cd to be not so great--  maybe three fantastic songs....but, regrettably, his writing on the others doesnt work for me. The Party cds.....interesting, glad to have them--- but the Chicago set is the best of the lot.( in my opinion.....)
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »

It's fascinating to hear one after the  other.  I listened to the first Chicago show... it's like they just rolled into town... hurried set-up... get in and out, end of story... but loose and fun.

I listened to a mono mix (from vinyl) of Jan & Dean's Command Performance, as a bridge between the two BB shows... and a comparison between stage styles.

The second night sounds like they worked hard to get a good show... better song order for the set list... more polished.  I enjoyed the addition of 409 and In My Room.  Adding some songs (even if repeated from BBConcert) to have in the can in case a live album got mixed.  And Papa Oom Mow Mow worked great as an encore.

I thought the instrumental backing for Please Let Me Wonder worked better the first night... but the vocals are better the second night.  All in all, fascinating.  I remember driving past the Arie Crown at McCormick Place, as a kid, in 1965.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2015, 12:48:50 PM »

BTW, the 1963 and 1964 copyright extension sets WERE released on CD somewhere in Europe and I believe are still available. And it's been confirmed that they're legit and made from lossless sources.

I don't recall that, Upside-down Follow-up To Pet Sounds... I remember establishing that some of the EU-based on-line music sites were selling lossless files truly derived from the production masters (ie NOT MP3s back-upscaled to lossless files, with the MP3 compression still in them)... but I don't remember anyone selling CDs. Or not legit Capitol/EMI authorised ones, anyway.

Not saying you're wrong, by the way - just that *I* haven't encountered CDs of The Big Beat or KAEOS '64 being on sale here in Europe...!

Same here. I've seen them listed at dodgy sits in Japan and Singapore (I assume) but not Europe. Haven't a clue whether they use MP3s, lossless or upscaled crud… but (for once) I ain't buying. Seems the officially sanctioned lossless downloads are the best option here but I'm too old for that format Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
pudge104
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2016, 10:17:12 AM »

Has there been any update on what might be released this year?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2016, 07:14:37 PM »

There have been rumblings of the Michigan '66 show, but nothing confirmed. Chicago '65 came last year, so it would certainly make sense. But we shouldn't assume anything until or if an announcement materializes.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 07:01:31 PM »

Hope they release it! wonder if there is any plans for a studio sessions or something like they have done in precious years! I dont know what they could actually release besides for maybe Stella on Starlight and How Deep is the Ocean  or something just so they can give us something new to buy! I wouldnt mind  buying two new albums again this year! Wink
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:02:23 PM by The_Beach » Logged
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2016, 08:47:16 PM »

There have been rumblings of the Michigan '66 show, but nothing confirmed. Chicago '65 came last year, so it would certainly make sense. But we shouldn't assume anything until or if an announcement materializes.

Actually it has been confirmed that it is on it's way, subscribe to ESQ Magazine that's where I found out.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:48:33 PM by branaa09 » Logged
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2016, 11:31:20 PM »

I'll be very curious to see what comes out next year regarding material related to the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey era session tapes.   Cool Guy
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2016, 01:31:00 AM »

It seems plausible that we would have Lei'd In Hawaii and the 1967 Live Shows (Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston) next year.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »

Any links?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2016, 12:45:07 PM »

Any links?

While I believe some if not all of the extension sets were released in lossless/highrez as downloads, I don't recall any confirmed legit CD releases.

If they were like the Beatles one-shot "1963" set, then physical pirated copies popped up before long.

But unless someone can come up with links to official physical releases, I'm guessing any CD releases would likely be pirated. Perhaps the pirated versions went to the trouble of using lossless or highrez sources rather than iTunes or MP3 quality, in which case they would *sound* good.

I'm just thinking there are still a good amount of BB fans who loath download-only options and would have jumped at CD copies, to say nothing of collectors.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2016, 11:24:38 AM »

Wasn't Party Unplugged a copyright extension release?  That got a CD issue for whatever reason.

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2016, 04:34:31 PM »

I'll be very curious to see what comes out next year regarding material related to the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey era session tapes.   Cool Guy

interesting! I would love to see some demos and unreleased songs etc! Thre can be some great stuff to release next year! hope for something good this year too!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx