gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:57:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best LP to reignite flagging passion for the Beachboys  (Read 3205 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2015, 09:45:57 PM »

What do you suggest?   Seldom have difficulty rediscovering some part of the catalogue.   But lately it all seems stale.....
I feel I have mined the middle period, Love You,  solo stuff,   Early stuff, and archival stuff......

anyone else feeling this malaise?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:49:16 PM »

Whenever I get in that state I listen to other stuff for a few weeks. Usually early John Martyn or early Neil Youg… eventually the maudlin "pity me"'themes have me longing for something harmonic and positive, and the not Beach Boys wall-to-wall for the next few months!

“We live in divisive times.”
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:14:10 PM »

Pet Sounds, Today, and Summer Days in a pair of fantastic headphones. No bonus tracks, just the straight albums. Anytime I get jaded about anything, I put these on and am in awe ... They just get better and there's always something new to discover in the layers.

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 12:48:34 AM »

What do you suggest?   Seldom have difficulty rediscovering some part of the catalogue.   But lately it all seems stale.....
I feel I have mined the middle period, Love You,  solo stuff,   Early stuff, and archival stuff......

anyone else feeling this malaise?

Every once in a while (say once every 18 months or so), I feel burned out on the Beach Boys and listen mostly to other music for 2 or 3 days.  When I'm ready to return to it, it sounds just as great as ever!  I probably hear at least one Beach Boys song about 360 out of 365 days of the year.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Those breaks help renew my fandom.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 12:49:53 AM »

15 Big Ones.  I enjoy that one because I barely ever listened to it in the first place, and it's always better than I remember.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 03:24:15 AM »

Stack O Tracks is a great way back in, I find, after Beach Boys Burnout. It's a musical feast in itself as well as a stepping stone to all the "parent" albums. Works every time.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 07:41:38 AM »

I'll keep away from the obvious and suggest 20/20
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 08:05:27 AM »

I just walk away for a while, sometimes months.  Many people can get burned out on any music, so it's best to give it a rest now and then.  If they release a 1965 studio sessions release in the next week - then download that and you'll have something new and shiny again.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »

"Music to cool out by."  "Wild Honey."

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 08:03:34 PM »

hi don...

try listening to any of the fug's lp's for a few days. by then you will crave the beach boys harmonies, songs, even mike's "humor" after a few days of the fugs...... and i'm sure you remember them   Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 08:07:02 PM »

hi don...

try listening to any of the fug's lp's for a few days. by then you will crave the beach boys harmonies, songs, even mike's "humor" after a few days of the fugs...... and i'm sure you remember them   Smiley

"Coca Cola Douche!"

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 08:50:20 PM »

I just take a break.  Right now I've been listening to the Beatles' Red and Blue albums, along with Christmas music.  December in general is the time of year that allows me to get a rest from the Beach Boys.  The rest of the year it's pretty much Beach Boys non-stop.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 09:22:03 AM »

hi don...

I do remember them Steve.     that might just do it.     Wink.    didn't know you were still lurking here.........hope you have a nice holiday......pm sometime
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 07:44:18 AM »

Like all great things in life, no matter how wonderful they are sometimes you just need to take a mental break.  

Take coffee for example..  I love the stuff,  but if I go too overboard the thought of drinking it will make me want to gag.  But if I stay away for awhile, it will once again taste like the greatest stuff in the world when I come back to it.

The Boys will never get old for me, but it's nice to take a break every now and then.  So take a break.. Listen to talk radio, listen to Christmas music, listen to modern rock.. Whatever.  Pretty soon your BB addiction will be back and you will be craving those harmonies..

At that point throw on the 93 box set disc one or MIC disc one..  Let the melodies and harmonies wash over you.. Listen to that vintage Brian falsetto.. Your addiction will be back in full swing in no time.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:46:46 AM by Watch a Cave » Logged
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 11:13:50 AM »

The Live in Chicago release (currently on Spotify) really has got me going again.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx