gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:37:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Darlin' featured on The Big Bang Theory TV show  (Read 37364 times)
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2015, 08:00:12 PM »

yes i'm serious and seriously giddy at the idea of folks discovering Wild Honey for the first time. i realize most of the newfound attention is going to the song "Darlin" and not the album it came from, but i bet a bunch of folks will dig a little deeper thanks to this TV show.

how freaking cool would a Wild Honey/Friends tour be?? or at least a few shows. i bet Brian would be down

On next week's episode, Sheldon has "Country Air" stuck in his head until he realizes he wants to go camping.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2015, 10:31:14 PM »

Thanks for this… sadly it see s inaccessible in the uk, at least on an iPhone 3…

“We live in divisive times.”
Peter Pumpkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2015, 01:13:52 AM »

It's also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/THEBIGBANGTHEORYOfficial/videos/934144199968242/.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2015, 01:39:22 AM »

Thanks! Nice to watch without the ads.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2015, 07:31:44 AM »

I wonder how Sheldon got the song stuck in his head in the first place?
Peter Pumpkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2015, 09:43:18 AM »

Indeed. That's not being clarified.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2015, 10:32:16 AM »

I thought it was brilliant how it was featured in a BB episode.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »

Seriously...this is something to get excited about in BB fandomland?  My, my things have gotten pretty dire, have they not.

Darlin IMO is one of the more pedestrian singles they ever released and it has always bothered me that coming out of Smile he was reduced to recycling such an old melody.  I have always thought of it as somewhat like the killing time release of Then I Kissed Her in the UK.  It is actually one of the songs I like least on Wild Honey.

I have not seen this episode of the show yet but you are way off base with that statement. That show draws in millions upon millions of viewers and is already bringing in tens of millions more in syndication. Having a prime time show with a mass audience will expose the BB music to FAR MORE people, new fans or what have you than the BB's Grammy appearance a few years ago or the buzz from L&M including all of Dano's award bids.

As far as not liking the song personally....to each his own....but please don't use the word pedestrian. That goes for everyone out there! This word all of a sudden crept up into daily conversation and it's really....pedestrian to use it. Kind of like amazing. Everything is amazing now.  Tongue
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2015, 01:03:35 AM »

As far as not liking the song personally....to each his own....but please don't use the word pedestrian. That goes for everyone out there! This word all of a sudden crept up into daily conversation and it's really....pedestrian to use it. Kind of like amazing. Everything is amazing now.  Tongue

Yeah, it's kind of like "kind of like"! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2015, 04:38:33 AM »

I wonder how Sheldon got the song stuck in his head in the first place?

Sheldon has an eidetic memory and only needs to hear a song once, he explained in a previous episode.

He also knows the words to Bohemian Rhapsody Smiley
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2015, 04:41:09 AM »

The lyrics are by Mike Love, aren't they? Are they all by Mike?

Why is he not getting the credit for writing the lyrics on the show, when it's the lyrics that were important for the plot?

I guess Brian Wilson is cool and Mike isn't, but imagine if it were the other way around... Mike getting the namecheck instead of Brian... parallel universes.
KDS
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2015, 05:10:19 AM »

Why is he not getting the credit for writing the lyrics on the show, when it's the lyrics that were important for the plot?

I guess Brian Wilson is cool and Mike isn't, but imagine if it were the other way around... Mike getting the namecheck instead of Brian... parallel universes.

I think Brian Wilson was mentioned over Mike because Brian's name came up in Sheldon's list of geniuses who were driven to insanity, so it made sense that siting Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys would jog his memory of the song.

This reminded me of one of my favorite Married.....With Children episodes when Al had Anna (Go With Him) in his head. 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2015, 05:22:58 AM »

But Brian being a genius wasn't the thing, Mike's lyrics were the plot driving thing. 

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
KDS
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2015, 05:31:15 AM »

But Brian being a genius wasn't the thing, Mike's lyrics were the plot driving thing. 

Sheldon was convinced that the earworm was driving him to insanity.  So, just before he realized what the song was, he listed other brilliant minds who were driven mad.  So, in that context, it made more sense to reference Brian than Mike. 

Since Darlin was the song that drove him back to Amy, I would expect the song to be used again at some point.  Knowing Sheldon, he would likely analyze the lyrics to the point that he would contact Mike Love to consult him.  (Not sure if they'd go down that road, but knowing Sheldon's character, it would not shock me). 
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2015, 06:11:08 AM »

I've actually wondered about this -- *did* Mike write the lyrics for Darlin'? They don't sound like Mike's lyrics to me -- frankly I'd expect better from him than "Gonna love you every single night/Cause I think that you're doggone outtasight". They sound Brianesque. I know that if you put new lyrics to a song which has already been published with one set of lyrics, the old lyricist retains a share of copyright and credit, so is Mike's credit there just because of his co-writing Thinkin' 'Bout You Baby?
This seems especially plausible to me given that *all* the Brian/Mike songs are credited jointly on Wild Honey, no matter who did what, and that the track was originally intended for Redwood rather than the Beach Boys, but I don't actually know one way or another.

(NB I am *not* trying to reopen the "who wrote what?" question more generally, or to imply that in the general case Mike doesn't deserve his credits.)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
KDS
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2015, 06:31:32 AM »

Maybe I read too much into it, but when Penny asked Sheldon "Do you even like the Beach Boys?" there seemed to be some disdain in her voice as if she thinks the Beach Boys are like, totally lame. 

She's so basic. 

Smiley 
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2015, 06:39:40 AM »

I agree this should not become another Brian-Mike supporters battle.Mike wasn't mentioned because he's not a crazy genius, and that's what the whole show is about.

Maybe I read too much into it,

I think so. I think Penny's disdain is about the snobby Sheldon seemingly liking something she likes herself, normally he's into things she does find lame herself.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2015, 06:59:46 AM »

Yeah, it's kind of like "kind of like"! Cheesy

You are correct Grin

Getting back to the show. I saw it on demand last night and was delightfully surprised that the song went on through the entire show and Sheldon mentioned Brian in context of great minds with mental problems. Just because the Beach Boys are a historical super group does not mean they are above new wide exposure with a shot in the arm like they got from this Big Bang Theory episode. The audience for this show is GIGANTIC. Well done!

And really....no need whatsoever to turn this into another Mike is being slighted thing. The music was stuck in Sheldon's head. The lyrics came later.

Mike and Bruce will probably reference this show's episode in their act...and that's a good thing for Mike, Brian.....everyone.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2015, 12:22:46 PM »

I agree this should not become another Brian-Mike supporters battle.Mike wasn't mentioned because he's not a crazy genius, and that's what the whole show is about.

Maybe I read too much into it,

I think so. I think Penny's disdain is about the snobby Sheldon seemingly liking something she likes herself, normally he's into things she does find lame herself.
yes if you watch the show over the years it shows that anytime Sheldon or Leonard like something Penny will all of a sudden think that whatever it is, is lame...She's the "Preppy girl" who thinks "nerdy things" are lame....I actually think it's kind of funny since she "got with" Leonard...lol
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2015, 05:28:22 PM »

There was a Beach Boys  'Good Vibrations' reference with this week's (12/17/15) episode. It was titled 'The Opening Night Excitation' about Sheldon and Amy having sex for the first time on the same night as the new Star Wars movie opened.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2015, 06:07:57 PM »

Somebody is a fan over there in big bang theory land

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2015, 11:44:12 PM »

There was a Beach Boys  'Good Vibrations' reference with this week's (12/17/15) episode. It was titled 'The Opening Night Excitation' about Sheldon and Amy having sex for the first time on the same night as the new Star Wars movie opened.

I read that wrong first time around…

First time:

"…about Sheldon and Amy having sex for the first time on the same night, as the new Star Wars movie opened."

Second time:

"about Sheldon and Amy having sex for the first time, on the same night as the new Star Wars movie opened."

First time was more interesting ! LOL
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:45:16 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »

A wonderful showcase for a great BB song. Nice to see the song itself being hyped and not the typical cliche associated with the band. Also, it's fantastic that Mike's ace-lyrics are being showcased as well as Brian's terrific melody.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2016, 07:30:26 AM »

Just went online to listen to Darlin' because of Big Bang and there are hundreds of comments from people who have listened to the song due to the show.  Many thanks to Sheldon and the Big Bang Theory for introducing/re-introducing lots of people to the marvel and talent that is the Beach Boys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uAK0Ws6TwY 

As soon as the episode was over I looked at that video and it had 92000 view now not even 24 hours later it has 122000 views! This should help really get this song well known. That tv show is very popular. I was very pleased to see this song on there. I had no idea that that's what Shelden was humming and even after watching the show and listening to the song I can still hardly get Darlin out of it.
wow this old music video that's been on youtube for quite a while went to 92000 before this episode aired to over 306,000 in just over a month! This should really help the popularity of this song and the beach boys in general!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2016, 08:42:30 AM »

Just went online to listen to Darlin' because of Big Bang and there are hundreds of comments from people who have listened to the song due to the show.  Many thanks to Sheldon and the Big Bang Theory for introducing/re-introducing lots of people to the marvel and talent that is the Beach Boys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uAK0Ws6TwY 

As soon as the episode was over I looked at that video and it had 92000 view now not even 24 hours later it has 122000 views! This should help really get this song well known. That tv show is very popular. I was very pleased to see this song on there. I had no idea that that's what Shelden was humming and even after watching the show and listening to the song I can still hardly get Darlin out of it.
wow this old music video that's been on youtube for quite a while went to 92000 before this episode aired to over 306,000 in just over a month! This should really help the popularity of this song and the beach boys in general!

That's really cool. Thank you for sharing that update.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx