gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:28:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Darlin' featured on The Big Bang Theory TV show  (Read 37371 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2015, 12:47:46 AM »

I'm thinking that there are some folk on this forum who would bitch at any positive publicity for the band because it didn't fit into their rigid framework of likes and dislikes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2015, 01:10:24 AM »

As I was saying.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2015, 01:30:38 AM »

As I was saying.  Grin

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!".  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2015, 05:32:02 AM »

Sitcoms will never be the coolest, hippest, or most critically acclaimed form of TV show. 

But, as I posted in an earlier thread, I have no problem with shows like Full House and The Big Bang Theory exposing people to Beach Boys tracks that might not be as well known to people outside of the BB/BW universe like Forever and Darlin'. 

I'm really not sure how this can be a negative thing. 
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2015, 06:54:31 AM »

Sitcoms will never be the coolest, hippest, or most critically acclaimed form of TV show. 

This fan of Mary Tyler Moore, MASH, All in the Family, Seinfeld, Cheers, Arrested Development, and The BBC version of the Office disgrees with you.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
KDS
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2015, 07:02:36 AM »

This fan of Mary Tyler Moore, MASH, All in the Family, Seinfeld, Cheers, Arrested Development, and The BBC version of the Office disgrees with you.

I never said I wasn't a fan of sitcoms.  I'm a huge fan of Taxi, Cheers, Home Improvement, Fraiser, Seinfeld, The Office (UK & US), and many others including the current reboot of The Muppets. 

I was just pointing out that, in general, the sitcom genre tends to be perceived as uncool or unhip. 
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2015, 07:05:54 AM »

According to whom?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2015, 08:01:30 AM »

I don't watch the show because I find even the commercials for it too annoying to stomach.  But what I wonder is why people here are so happy to see this reference to a BBs song in a TV show.  I mean the BBs are hardly obscure (although I admit that in this case the track isn't one of their ultra-famous songs).  It's not like they're an underground indie band that needs to be discovered - they're one of the most famous bands ever.  If people need a sitcom to "discover the genius" of the BBs, I kind of actually wish that they wouldn't.  It just means that real fans will get crappier seats at Brian Wilson shows.  Why the need for the whole world to love them as much as we do?  

+1

There's really nothing remarkable about 6 notes from a Beach Boys song being the subject of a mediocre sitcom episode... the only cause for celebration is extra royalty money.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2015, 08:42:59 AM »

Having now actually seen the clip :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A54YD3CEvlE&feature=youtu.be

It's very nice and all, but is it worthy of all this fuss ?

Btw, I love The Big Bang Theory !
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »

Not that it necessarily matters, but “Big Bang Theory” is certainly perceived as “cooler” now or any time during its run than “Full House” ever was. It’s a very different climate with ironic/hipster coolness factor and whatnot. They make actions figures and crap like that for “Big Bang Theory”, stuff that ADULTS collect. 

I like the show generally (as I mentioned, recent seasons have been much more “meh”), and even I think the BB song placement was just kind of weird. But yeah, I think it’s kind of silly to have any sort of contempt for the song appearing in the show. They’ve used BB songs in far worse contexts. What movie was it, “Rush Hour”, where in the trailer Jackie Chan is clearly indicated as the “nerd” for playing BB music in the car? That was far more annoying.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2015, 09:05:42 AM »

I don't watch the show because I find even the commercials for it too annoying to stomach.  But what I wonder is why people here are so happy to see this reference to a BBs song in a TV show.  I mean the BBs are hardly obscure (although I admit that in this case the track isn't one of their ultra-famous songs).  It's not like they're an underground indie band that needs to be discovered - they're one of the most famous bands ever.  If people need a sitcom to "discover the genius" of the BBs, I kind of actually wish that they wouldn't.  It just means that real fans will get crappier seats at Brian Wilson shows.  Why the need for the whole world to love them as much as we do?  

+1

There's really nothing remarkable about 6 notes from a Beach Boys song being the subject of a mediocre sitcom episode... the only cause for celebration is extra royalty money.

So you’d rather *less* people get into the Beach Boys? Like you want to keep it all to yourself?

I’ve argued both sides of this equation before. I find the cost/benefit on their multi-episode run on “Full House” much more questionable. The “cheese” rep that show and Stamos had may have been more injurious than the benefit of more ears on the Beach Boys.

But that context is very different from “Big Bang Theory.” No Stamos. No BB’s appearing on screen looking not-very-cool and pitching awful jokes and dialogue with toddlers. No cast member re-recording of a BB song. No prominent placement of a critically divisive song like “Kokomo.”

I don’t really see any downside to the “Big Bang Theory” placement. If the BBs had never been used in any movie or TV show or advertisement, perhaps a different standard would apply. But “Darlin’” in this show is better than Stamos warbling “Forever” or “409” being used to sell tile cleaner. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2015, 09:31:55 AM »

Lessee... song clip used on major network TV series watched by something like 19 million (which will also be in syndication forever)... band is name checked... more to the point, Brian is name-checked... what's not to like here ? What am I missing ?

^^THIS! It can't be any more plain and simple. How is this in any way a bad thing for The Beach Boys or us as fans?

People will complain just to complain, I guess.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2015, 11:08:43 AM »

+1

Some -- many -- on the board "support" the Beach Boys (or one or more members of the band) the way people support football teams, wanting them to "win", and seeing it as a validation of a group identity when they do.
That's not the way I am -- or, presumably the way you two are. I don't care how many or few people like the Beach Boys, so long as enough do to make future tours, archival releases, new albums, and so on viable. But supporting "team Beach Boys" (or team Brian, or team Mike, or whatever) is not an invalid way of being a fan (except when it festers into aggression against someone else's team, real or imagined).
This has made a lot of people on the board very happy. Why not just let them enjoy that, rather than try to show you're above it?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »

Big Bang has a huge "Cult Following" and will be in the future in the same way that shows like "Golden Girls", "The Transformers gen 1",  "Dr. Who", "The Dukes of Hazard", "The Brady Bunch","Star Trek-TOS" and "Three's company" have now become many years after they were canceled or started, a huge fan base with fan clubs and fans that show up at Comic con to buy/sell the products from the show etc that keep growing over the years,,,,, Full House was a good show but I don't see it having a huge fan base and a "Cult Following".. yes This is a good thing because as the fan base grows over the next few years (yes consisting mostly of "Nerds" lol ...but I mean that in a good way since they are the ones that keep these cultural things like the ones I mentioned above in the limelight..) they will be reintroduced to the Beach Boys through this episode in the same way people get reintroduced to Davy Jones singing "Girl" on the Brady Bunch every generation and it's hard to imagine how many people get the lyrics "Girl look what you've done to me.." stuck in their heads when watching antenna tv...lol..Big Bang is a bigger Cultural phenomenon then (I think) that some people on this board realize.... 
KDS
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2015, 11:33:25 AM »

Big Bang has a huge "Cult Following" and will be in the future in the same way that shows like "Golden Girls", "The Transformers gen 1",  "Dr. Who", "The Dukes of Hazard", "The Brady Bunch","Star Trek-TOS" and "Three's company" have now become many years after they were canceled or started, a huge fan base with fan clubs and fans that show up at Comic con to buy/sell the products from the show etc that keep growing over the years,,,,, Full House was a good show but I don't see it having a huge fan base and a "Cult Following".. yes This is a good thing because as the fan base grows over the next few years (yes consisting mostly of "Nerds" lol ...but I mean that in a good way since they are the ones that keep these cultural things like the ones I mentioned above in the limelight..) they will be reintroduced to the Beach Boys through this episode in the same way people get reintroduced to Davy Jones singing "Girl" on the Brady Bunch every generation and it's hard to imagine how many people get the lyrics "Girl look what you've done to me.." stuck in their heads when watching antenna tv...lol..Big Bang is a bigger Cultural phenomenon then (I think) that some people on this board realize.... 

I could be wrong, but I think it's the highest rated comedy on network TV in the States (if it isn't now, then it was fairly recently). 
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2015, 11:49:54 AM »

The clip is pretty awesome, actually.  Not just the BW reference but name your genius...probably more education in this 90 seconds or so than in a full day at school or on Facebook.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »

I wonder how many people will discover the Wild Honey album thanks to this episode? more than a few I'd imagine, which is pretty cool to think about.

also cool to think about:
an expanded reissue of Wild Honey with stereo and bonus tracks, a Wild Honey tour, Wild Honey documentary DVD, Wild Honey t-shirts and assorted merchandise, Wild Honey tribute album and concert... basically all the things this fantastic album deserves!  Smiley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2015, 03:32:23 PM »

The clip is pretty awesome, actually.  Not just the BW reference but name your genius...probably more education in this 90 seconds or so than in a full day at school or on Facebook.
That is sad. That isn't saying much about our school systems throughout the U.S. I do agree though that that whole scene was pretty cool and knowledgable.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2015, 04:02:25 PM »

As I was saying.  Grin

Hate to get off track, but this SO MUCH reminds me of Donald Trump's presidential campaign.  Grin

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »

I wonder how many people will discover the Wild Honey album thanks to this episode? more than a few I'd imagine, which is pretty cool to think about.

an expanded reissue of Wild Honey with stereo and bonus tracks, a Wild Honey tour, Wild Honey documentary DVD, Wild Honey t-shirts and assorted merchandise, Wild Honey tribute album and concert... basically all the things this fantastic album deserves!  Smiley

I hope you're being serious here (sometimes it's hard to tell on the Interwebs), because this would be a very good thing!  Cool
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2015, 09:44:21 PM »

hear hear!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2015, 10:49:29 PM »

yes i'm serious and seriously giddy at the idea of folks discovering Wild Honey for the first time. i realize most of the newfound attention is going to the song "Darlin" and not the album it came from, but i bet a bunch of folks will dig a little deeper thanks to this TV show.

how freaking cool would a Wild Honey/Friends tour be?? or at least a few shows. i bet Brian would be down
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2015, 10:49:50 PM »

Having now actually seen the clip :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A54YD3CEvlE&feature=youtu.be

It's very nice and all, but is it worthy of all this fuss ?

Btw, I love The Big Bang Theory !

Many thanks for posting the clip… good to finally see what's shaking things up so much!

Is that the sum total of Darlin's role in the show or does it extend beyond that clip?

“We live in divisive times.”
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2015, 12:02:20 AM »

he hums those notes throughout the show

entire episode is here:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theory/video/7A338385-5173-C97E-1C10-890935D9E289/the-big-bang-theory-the-earworm-reverberation/
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2015, 05:39:21 PM »

Literally anything is better than Full House

A friend of mine always called it Full Diaper.  That would actually be a good name for this thread!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx