gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:46:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Darlin' featured on The Big Bang Theory TV show  (Read 37369 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 06:06:22 AM »

I don't watch the show because I find even the commercials for it too annoying to stomach.  But what I wonder is why people here are so happy to see this reference to a BBs song in a TV show.  I mean the BBs are hardly obscure (although I admit that in this case the track isn't one of their ultra-famous songs).  It's not like they're an underground indie band that needs to be discovered - they're one of the most famous bands ever.  If people need a sitcom to "discover the genius" of the BBs, I kind of actually wish that they wouldn't.  It just means that real fans will get crappier seats at Brian Wilson shows.  Why the need for the whole world to love them as much as we do? 

I personally think Full House is a better show than Big Bang Theory, but neither have great writing or acting, so...

That being said, the fact that Darlin' isn't the typical Beach Boys song that gets used in television and film, it might help some casual fans take a deeper dive. I really don't understand the snobbish attitude. Who cares if this is the way someone develops a deeper appreciation for the band, everyone needs to start somewhere.

No way on God's Green Earth is Full House better than Big Bang Theory.

Wait, this is Kokomaoist Central, so... nevermind.
I could care less whether you like the show or not or whether one show is better than another. The whole point is is that a network show worked its episode around a Beach Boys tune and even used the actual Beach Boys track. Kokomaoist and Brianista's alike should be equally happy that The Boys received a nice plug on a very popular show.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »

I don't watch the show because I find even the commercials for it too annoying to stomach.  But what I wonder is why people here are so happy to see this reference to a BBs song in a TV show.  I mean the BBs are hardly obscure (although I admit that in this case the track isn't one of their ultra-famous songs).  It's not like they're an underground indie band that needs to be discovered - they're one of the most famous bands ever.  If people need a sitcom to "discover the genius" of the BBs, I kind of actually wish that they wouldn't.  It just means that real fans will get crappier seats at Brian Wilson shows.  Why the need for the whole world to love them as much as we do? 

I personally think Full House is a better show than Big Bang Theory, but neither have great writing or acting, so...

That being said, the fact that Darlin' isn't the typical Beach Boys song that gets used in television and film, it might help some casual fans take a deeper dive. I really don't understand the snobbish attitude. Who cares if this is the way someone develops a deeper appreciation for the band, everyone needs to start somewhere.

I could care less whether you like the show or not or whether one show is better than another. The whole point is is that a network show worked its episode around a Beach Boys tune and even used the actual Beach Boys track. Kokomaoist and Brianista's alike should be equally happy that The Boys received a nice plug on a very popular show.

Let me clarify. Comparing "Full House" and "Big Bang Theory" is apples and oranges. "Full House" was a family comedy, which you don't really see outside of ABC Family or the Disney Channel these days. "Big Bang Theory" is just a poorly written and acted adult comedy that does not hold a candle to the likes of "Parks and Recreation" "The Office" "New Girl" etc. If you like it, good for you. I'm happy the Beach Boys got the exposure.

Also, for the record, Carl is my favorite Beach Boy.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »

Let me clarify. Comparing "Full House" and "Big Bang Theory" is apples and oranges. "Full House" was a family comedy, which you don't really see outside of ABC Family or the Disney Channel these days. "Big Bang Theory" is just a poorly written and acted adult comedy that does not hold a candle to the likes of "Parks and Recreation" "The Office" "New Girl" etc. If you like it, good for you. I'm happy the Beach Boys got the exposure.

Also, for the record, Carl is my favorite Beach Boy.
of course this is your opinion...
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2015, 10:55:28 AM »

of course this is your opinion...

Of course.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2015, 01:35:35 PM »

Seriously...this is something to get excited about in BB fandomland?  My, my things have gotten pretty dire, have they not.

Darlin IMO is one of the more pedestrian singles they ever released and it has always bothered me that coming out of Smile he was reduced to recycling such an old melody.  I have always thought of it as somewhat like the killing time release of Then I Kissed Her in the UK.  It is actually one of the songs I like least on Wild Honey.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2015, 05:27:40 PM »

Seriously...this is something to get excited about in BB fandomland?  My, my things have gotten pretty dire, have they not.

Darlin IMO is one of the more pedestrian singles they ever released and it has always bothered me that coming out of Smile he was reduced to recycling such an old melody.  I have always thought of it as somewhat like the killing time release of Then I Kissed Her in the UK.  It is actually one of the songs I like least on Wild Honey.
I know, what a useless f***ing retread of a song that Brian sprung on us in 1967. Brian's work is all worthless after that Smile fiasco, huh? Oy!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2015, 06:58:58 PM »

They mentioned it on Sirius 60's station today...more exposure...
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2015, 07:53:11 PM »

A worthless song featured on a worthless TV show.
Sure are a lot of Debbie Downers posting on this thread.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »

Well spoke.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2015, 09:29:39 PM »

The sort of thing that keeps Brian and the Beach Boys near the center of popular culture. How is that bad?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2015, 11:21:52 PM »

Lessee... song clip used on major network TV series watched by something like 19 million (which will also be in syndication forever)... band is name checked... more to the point, Brian is name-checked... what's not to like here ? What am I missing ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
halblaineisgood
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2015, 12:59:37 AM »

Note to self: Never listen to Darlin on youtube.
Reason:
accidentally scrolling into thousands of "thumbs up if you're here because of that big bang theory show

Although I log in to Little Richard tutti frutti video the one where alan freed introduces him and he lip syncs and I say thumbs up if the b side t okokomo brought u here. so im a hypocrit

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:13:28 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2015, 02:40:48 AM »

I love the song "Darlin'"; one of my favorites.
On the show, Brian Wilson was called a genius; "Darlin'" was played, in part, and its lyrics were explored, and "Love & Mercy" was referenced by the illustrative "shot" entering Sheldon's ear canal!
I thought it was great.

Listen, listen, listen...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2015, 04:08:30 AM »

and "Love & Mercy" was referenced by the illustrative "shot" entering Sheldon's ear canal!

Much as I'd love that to be the case, I very much doubt it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2015, 06:38:18 AM »

Take two and call me in the morning.

Yeah, he recycled an old melody, but it's what he did with it.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2015, 07:35:02 AM »

The views on that youtube  video went up from 92,000 to 161,000 Almost doubled in just 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!! all because of the big bang theory
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »

Seriously...this is something to get excited about in BB fandomland?

Yes, it is. We live in a time where pop culture has reduced one of our favorite bands down to being just another oldies group with some songs about surfing. This show, even though I'm not a fan of it, is one of the most watched shows in North America. They basically spent an episode talking about the Beach Boys and referenced a song that most people didn't even know existed. A song not about surfing, the beach, or cars... but rather a really great pop song by an amazing band.

It's something to be excited about.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2015, 11:40:45 AM »

I like this show alot. To see a melding of one of my favorite shows with a band and a creator whose work I respect is more than I could have hoped for in 2015. Being a fan sine 1973 and having endured the "these guys are has beens" for a lot of that time, I like this so much more.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2015, 12:33:36 PM »

I like this show alot. To see a melding of one of my favorite shows with a band and a creator whose work I respect is more than I could have hoped for in 2015. Being a fan sine 1973 and having endured the "these guys are has beens" for a lot of that time, I like this so much more.

It's nice to be recognized as a group and Brian as a genius regardless of the circumstances.  It's nice for Mike to have his lyrics featured as a pivotal  plot point too.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ThreeCats
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »

They should have used the song I'd Love Just Once to See You instead and explained that Sheldon had it stuck in his head because it expresses how he feels about Amy. Then at the end of the episode they'd play the actual song and reveal the lyric "I'd love just once to see you... in the nude." Would have made for a funny twist for non-Beach Boys fans.

I also just think that it's a more hummable tune.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2015, 07:45:19 PM »

"A Day in the Life of a Tree" would have been cool but I'll take this.  From "Wild Honey!"

Interestingly, it is the lyrics that are truly spotlighted.  Written by Mike Love if I'm not mistaken.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2015, 08:55:21 PM »

Doesn't Billboard have a chart for songs 100-200?  I'm thinking they do, but can't find it.  Will be interesting to see if Darlin' is on the chart.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2015, 09:34:42 PM »

Wow!  I think this is something worth getting excited about.  Darlin' is a catchy, but relatively unknown tune from a fairly dark, and somewhat obscure era in the BB's history...featured (rather heavily) in an episode of one of the more popular TV sitcoms today.  Very cool!

And for those who made it clear that they don't like Big Bang Theory....next time, try to remove the stick from your @$$ before you sit down to watch it....
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »

I could care less whether you like the show or not or whether one show is better than another. The whole point is is that a network show worked its episode around a Beach Boys tune and even used the actual Beach Boys track. Kokomaoists and Brianistas alike should be equally happy that The Boys received a nice plug on a very popular show.

What a strange assumption that somebody would prefer a TV show over another for the sole reason that one of the actors of one show frequently appears with Mike while in the other show Brian is praised. That's agenda crap. Tells a lot about the mindset of someone who makes an assumption like that.

I never watched Full House, so I can't have an opinion about it. TBBT - although not all scripts are great, I love the acting in TBBT, the team has great chemistry. I watched the whole 7th and 8th seasons on long distance flights to and from Australia, while in Australia I met a nice person whose favorite BBs song actually IS "Darlin'", so this to me is a special thing to happen even outside the fact that my favorite band is given a big time plug.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2015, 12:45:13 AM »

Literally anything is better than Full House
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx