gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:32:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Darlin' featured on The Big Bang Theory TV show  (Read 37365 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2015, 07:40:48 PM »

I think this deserves it's own thread because the legacy of The Beach Boys just got a significant shot in the arm tonight by having the song 'Darlin' featured so prominently on one of TV's most watched TV shows. Consider this: the show is watched by roughly 15 million people each week or about 13 or 14 times as many people that went to see 'Love & Mercy' in theaters. The song will be played repeatedly in reruns for years to come for millions and millions more people. Beyond shifting plenty of downloads of the song (which it surely will) the song has basically become the love theme for an extremely popular TV show. And John Stamos had nothing to do with it!

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »

One of my favorite songs in one of my favorite shows. As soon as Sheldon hummed the first line, I told my wife that was Darlin' by The Beach Boys. SO SO COOL!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 09:02:58 PM »

The song is on Itunes Top 200 as of midnight. Outstanding! How high can it go? I could have sworn that Itunes said it was at #28, but it now says #197.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:20:04 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 09:04:21 PM »

One of my favorite songs in one of my favorite shows. As soon as Sheldon hummed the first line, I told my wife that was Darlin' by The Beach Boys. SO SO COOL!

I feel ashamed that I didn't know what he was humming. I thought it sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it. What a surprise it was when it was revealed.

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 10:35:09 PM »

I feel ashamed that I didn't know what he was humming. I thought it sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it. What a surprise it was when it was revealed.

Same here. I guess we would have stunk on "Name that Tune."

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 04:56:04 AM »

I too couldn't immediately place the tune but I said to my wife "I swear that's a Beach Boys song". She rolled her eyes and said "not everything has to always be about the Beach Boys you know". Sure enough  Grin

Episode link
http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theory/video/7A338385-5173-C97E-1C10-890935D9E289/the-big-bang-theory-the-earworm-reverberation/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:57:19 AM by J.G. Dev » Logged
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 05:14:06 AM »

Wake the World It's a brand new morning!  Little jewel's that make a persons day.  What a nice surprise to hear Darlin on the show.
bb4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 07:36:53 AM »

Just went online to listen to Darlin' because of Big Bang and there are hundreds of comments from people who have listened to the song due to the show.  Many thanks to Sheldon and the Big Bang Theory for introducing/re-introducing lots of people to the marvel and talent that is the Beach Boys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uAK0Ws6TwY 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 10:27:54 AM »

I think this show has kind of been "jumping the shark" in the last few years, but certainly cool to see the BB track. I'd argue Sheldon's "ear worm" melody stuck in his head actually didn't exactly match the lead melody of "Darlin'", but it was kind of a jaw-dropping moment for me to see in light of how obscure a reference it was.

They never explained where Sheldon had heard the song in the first place. They've never established he listens to or likes the BB's.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 10:33:02 AM »

I'm so glad the show has given Darlin' (& The BBs - AND a Brian Wilson name drop!) some exposure, but I don't get the appeal of The Big Bang Theory. Awful acting, awful writing, unfunny jokes. I've seen a few episodes and just can't grasp the millions of people who think this is 'comedy'. Anyway, I watched this episode because of obvious reasons and it made me cringe. The script writing, especially in the scene where Sheldon is on the laptop reading lyrics, felt like a bad fan ficition. Yikes. Hopefully it generates some downloads of the tracks - and I'm sure a few people will discover the genius of Brian Wilson through this, so I shouldn't complain.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 10:39:21 AM »

I'm so glad the show has given Darlin' (& The BBs - AND a Brian Wilson name drop!) some exposure, but I don't get the appeal of The Big Bang Theory. Awful acting, awful writing, unfunny jokes. I've seen a few episodes and just can't grasp the millions of people who think this is 'comedy'. Anyway, I watched this episode because of obvious reasons and it made me cringe. The script writing, especially in the scene where Sheldon is on the laptop reading lyrics, felt like a bad fan ficition. Yikes. Hopefully it generates some downloads of the tracks - and I'm sure a few people will discover the genius of Brian Wilson through this, so I shouldn't complain.

The show was better in its first few seasons. Now it’s pretty much just a remake of “Friends.” But it used to have truly nerdy, geeky references and humor. But as the show has become more popular (and geek culture has gone from actually geeky to “trendy”), it has been kind of dumbed down even more. No, it wasn’t genius to begin with. But the whole point of the show that they were truly nerdy, socially awkward guys who couldn’t get girlfriends was eventually completely betrayed. Now they do a lot more bland, clichéd sitcom tropes out of the "Three's Company" playbook.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:40:56 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »

I can't wait to be a snob about this.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 12:18:30 PM »

That's cool... Grin
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 12:38:54 PM »

Here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lVC_-1KHs&feature=share
 Grin
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 01:35:52 PM »

Just went online to listen to Darlin' because of Big Bang and there are hundreds of comments from people who have listened to the song due to the show.  Many thanks to Sheldon and the Big Bang Theory for introducing/re-introducing lots of people to the marvel and talent that is the Beach Boys – especially the great and awesome Carl Wilson!

FIFY
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 01:53:35 PM »

Don't be ashamed that you didn't know the song. DO be ashamed that you watch that show !
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 01:57:22 PM »

Isn't Sheldon more of a long, tall Texan? Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 02:27:35 PM »

I don't watch the show because I find even the commercials for it too annoying to stomach.  But what I wonder is why people here are so happy to see this reference to a BBs song in a TV show.  I mean the BBs are hardly obscure (although I admit that in this case the track isn't one of their ultra-famous songs).  It's not like they're an underground indie band that needs to be discovered - they're one of the most famous bands ever.  If people need a sitcom to "discover the genius" of the BBs, I kind of actually wish that they wouldn't.  It just means that real fans will get crappier seats at Brian Wilson shows.  Why the need for the whole world to love them as much as we do?  

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:28:48 PM by marcella27 » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 02:29:36 PM »

Never watched the show, I know it's huge though.

Pretty cool

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 02:46:31 PM »

I think this show has kind of been "jumping the shark" in the last few years, but certainly cool to see the BB track. I'd argue Sheldon's "ear worm" melody stuck in his head actually didn't exactly match the lead melody of "Darlin'", but it was kind of a jaw-dropping moment for me to see in light of how obscure a reference it was.

They never explained where Sheldon had heard the song in the first place. They've never established he listens to or likes the BB's.
Although they didn't explain where Sheldon had heard the song, Sheldon said he was not a fan of the group because they had "beach" in their name.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »

I don't watch the show because I find even the commercials for it too annoying to stomach.  But what I wonder is why people here are so happy to see this reference to a BBs song in a TV show.  I mean the BBs are hardly obscure (although I admit that in this case the track isn't one of their ultra-famous songs).  It's not like they're an underground indie band that needs to be discovered - they're one of the most famous bands ever.  If people need a sitcom to "discover the genius" of the BBs, I kind of actually wish that they wouldn't.  It just means that real fans will get crappier seats at Brian Wilson shows.  Why the need for the whole world to love them as much as we do?  

I personally think Full House is a better show than Big Bang Theory, but neither have great writing or acting, so...

That being said, the fact that Darlin' isn't the typical Beach Boys song that gets used in television and film, it might help some casual fans take a deeper dive. I really don't understand the snobbish attitude. Who cares if this is the way someone develops a deeper appreciation for the band, everyone needs to start somewhere.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »

Just went online to listen to Darlin' because of Big Bang and there are hundreds of comments from people who have listened to the song due to the show.  Many thanks to Sheldon and the Big Bang Theory for introducing/re-introducing lots of people to the marvel and talent that is the Beach Boys!

As soon as the episode was over I looked at that video and it had 92000 view now not even 24 hours later it has 122000 views! This should help really get this song well known. That tv show is very popular. I was very pleased to see this song on there. I had no idea that that's what Shelden was humming and even after watching the show and listening to the song I can still hardly get Darlin out of it.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 04:20:31 PM »

I finally watched this on the cbs website and noticed that Jim Parsons (Sheldon) has a story writing credit. Needless to say, I too think that the show has jumped the shark but I really did enjoy this episode and all of the YouTube comments on the link shared above.

Edit: Sorry, I was incorrect on the writing credit. The writer's name was Jim Reynolds.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 05:44:58 PM by Esoteric » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 11:06:45 PM »

I personally think Full House is a better show than Big Bang Theory, but neither have great writing or acting, so...

That being said, the fact that Darlin' isn't the typical Beach Boys song that gets used in television and film, it might help some casual fans take a deeper dive. I really don't understand the snobbish attitude. Who cares if this is the way someone develops a deeper appreciation for the band, everyone needs to start somewhere.

No way on God's Green Earth is Full House better than Big Bang Theory.

Wait, this is Kokomaoist Central, so... nevermind.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 05:35:13 AM »

Not a fan of the show but it's cool for the Boys. 

Must be nice to be specifically lyric-checked as a pivotal scene in a currently popular show, even if it took 48 years.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx