gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:32:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Xmas Single from Al  (Read 11285 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »

http://cdbaby.com/cd/aljardine2
With Scott Bennett and Paul Mertens from Brian's band, and Scott's friend Billy Roach. Downloadable for $1, with the money going to charity.
Very "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree", but Al sounds great as always.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 04:16:47 PM »

Where's the song? It just links me to "Miyeh - America"??
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 04:22:04 PM »

Same here initially... Try copying the link and pasting it in your browser's address bar, and it should work fine.

Song is titled "Hurry Up, Hurry Up, Santa Claus" by the way.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:27:58 PM by 8o8o » Logged
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 04:37:30 PM »

Same here initially... Try copying the link and pasting it in your browser's address bar, and it should work fine.

Song is titled "Hurry Up, Hurry Up, Santa Claus" by the way.

Thanks for the help, crazy to think its almost Christmas already  Shocked
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »

Don't know what's causing your problem. Link works fine for me...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 05:51:03 PM »

Works for me too.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 06:36:04 PM »

OK, a short snip on the site but blimey Al's vocals are in such good shape ( to say the least )  Smiley
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 02:31:05 AM »

Fun little song and, yeah, Al's voice must have a portrait in the attic.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 02:58:40 AM »

Fun little song and, yeah, Al's voice must have a portrait in the attic.

Old Man

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 08:15:10 PM »

Is this going to be available from other vendors?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 02:12:30 AM »

Is this going to be available from other vendors?
CDBaby usually automatically distribute tracks to Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, YouTube, et al. However, that takes a while (sometimes up to three months back when I was putting stuff out through them, though they may well have got quicker), so it wouldn't be available before Xmas. Also, more of the money will go to the charity through CDBaby, as there won't be a distributor taking a cut. And when you buy from CDBaby you can get it as a FLAC download, which is non-lossy compression, rather than just as an MP3.
Scott's not mentioned anything specific about another vendor on the FB page he's put up for the song.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 09:50:35 PM »

How in the world does he sound so young? 

Put an image in your mind of a 22 year old guy, with a guitar standing on a stage.... then play that song, and see if it sounds off.

He literally sounds like he's in his early 20's. 

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 12:03:25 PM »

Great little Xmas song from Al---also love the single cover.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »

How in the world does he sound so young? 

Wheat germ, probably. Keepin' it clean.
KDS
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 10:14:06 AM »

Finally made the time to download and listen to this yesterday.  Fun Christmas song. 

I think 2015 was a great year for Beach Boys fans overall.  New BW album, great tours from BW, Al, & Blondie, and well as Mike and Bruce (and sometimes David). 

New Christmas singles from Mike and Al are a nice way to end the year. 

Of course an announcement of a Pet Sounds BW show in Baltimore would be another great way to end 2015.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 07:42:07 AM »

A certainly fun, innocuous Christmas song. I was happy to purchase (and also contribute to their separate "Go Fund Me" campaign) and get a little money to charity.

I do wonder if Scott Bennett is aware that it's a running (but I think largely good-natured) joke among BB fans that Al has on multiple occasions put spoken-word intros on his songs.  LOL

I do like the idea that some of Brian's backing guys are open to working with Al separately. I've been wondering in the last few years if there might ever be any chance Al could swing a one-off show or little mini-tour and do a deep-cut setlist and use some of Brian's backing guys. Probably too expensive. But I wouldn't mind seeing a deep-cut show from Al, perhaps with a mixture of Brian's guys and a few of the old backline guys like Hinsche and of course Matt Jardine.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 08:16:54 AM »

I do like the idea that some of Brian's backing guys are open to working with Al separately. I've been wondering in the last few years if there might ever be any chance Al could swing a one-off show or little mini-tour and do a deep-cut setlist and use some of Brian's backing guys. Probably too expensive. But I wouldn't mind seeing a deep-cut show from Al, perhaps with a mixture of Brian's guys and a few of the old backline guys like Hinsche and of course Matt Jardine.

If Brian does give up touring, as has been hinted, I wonder if people are thinking of the possibility of "the Brian Wilson Band, featuring Beach Boy Al Jardine" touring for a while without Brian. It wouldn't surprise me, and I'd go and see that (though I'd really miss Brian, of course).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 09:16:04 AM »

If Brian does give up touring, as has been hinted, I wonder if people are thinking of the possibility of "the Brian Wilson Band, featuring Beach Boy Al Jardine" touring for a while without Brian. It wouldn't surprise me, and I'd go and see that (though I'd really miss Brian, of course).

I’d love to see that, but I don’t know how plausible it is under that set of circumstances. While Brian and Al are getting along, I would guess Brian and his folks would not really want his name used like that. Even if he didn’t mind, I think that would just be another huge clusterfudge for Al in terms of band names. “The Brian Wilson Band” without Brian, while Brian is still alive, is super confusing.

An “Al Jardine & Friends” tour or something, with some advertisements mentioning he’s backed by members of Brian Wilson’s backing band, would work I think. But that gets us to the other main issue: There’s no way Al could afford it. Certainly not on the scale Brian does it. I’ve heard for years that some if not many of Brian’s tours don’t pull in a huge profit. Al’s shows would be smaller scale. I think Al could do a little mini-tour with elements of Brian’s band. Maybe Darian and/or Scott, Nicky, Probyn, and perhaps Mertens, and then fill it out with Ed Carter (who, I’m only *guessing* might be cheaper than Bob Lizik, regardless of who might be a better player), Billy Hinsche, and Matt Jardine. I dunno, that’s already most of Brian’s band, so the whole thing is probably already too big.

What I think Al *could* swing with some good agents/managers is get someone to invest in a one-off show, or a short run of two or three nights at a venue, and pay for the whole big shebang of Brian’s band and whatnot, and record it for Blu-ray/DVD and CD. There’s a HUGE gap in the marketplace for live Beach Boys archival video and audio releases (they should be doing something like what the Stones are doing with their old live stuff), and a live Al show release could do just that.

Separately, I think a scaled-back (maybe or maybe not fully acoustic/unplugged style) tour with Matt, Darian, Scott, Probyn, and a few others playing deep cuts could play well. It’s weird, because I sense Al doesn’t HUGELY care about the money at this stage. He reportedly played without pay on the 2006/2007 Brian dates. He was salaried on C50, and I doubt he makes a HUGE chunk of change currently touring with Brian. So I’m surprised he hasn’t just done some club gigs or small venues just to get out and do it. I love that he’s with Brian, and I’m not trying to be jaded or take anything for granted. But I’d love to hear him sing some stuff beyond the stuff in Brian’s current setlist, and it doesn’t look like Brian’s tour is going to be the venue to bust out “Lookin’ at Tomorrow” (though they rehearsed that for the PBS show) or “Santa Ana Winds” or even “Honkin’ Down the Highway.”

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 09:23:56 AM »

I'd love to see a small scale Al Jardine tour, but I agree with Hey Jude that the logistics would be tough. 

Maybe his friend Brian would lend him a hand financially.  If Brian gets to a point where he doesn't feel like touring, but still wants his songs out there....you never know. 

Maybe Brian could even come out during the encores at select shows. 
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »

I’d love to see that, but I don’t know how plausible it is under that set of circumstances. While Brian and Al are getting along, I would guess Brian and his folks would not really want his name used like that. Even if he didn’t mind, I think that would just be another huge clusterfudge for Al in terms of band names. “The Brian Wilson Band” without Brian, while Brian is still alive, is super confusing.

My thought there was that *if* Brian didn't want to tour again, *if* his band wanted to continue working together, and *if* Al felt like it, Brian and his team might welcome the extra income stream from licensing his name for the band.
Obviously, I *hope* that Brian carries on touring for a long time (and that he does so because he's enjoying it, and so on). But it would surprise me if they hadn't at least considered the possibility.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 09:32:11 AM »

I'd love to see a small scale Al Jardine tour, but I agree with Hey Jude that the logistics would be tough. 

Maybe his friend Brian would lend him a hand financially.  If Brian gets to a point where he doesn't feel like touring, but still wants his songs out there....you never know. 

A happy medium would be something more like a true 50/50 billing. A Brian set and an Al set, with of course a section with both of them. Ideally, they could do a sort of 50/50 show but both stay on stage for the entire time. Essentially, a C50 show without the other three guys (David joining in certainly would be nice, as would Blondie), and with some of the Mike-centric stuff replaced with some deep cuts. A couple car songs with Al singing (or Brian) are fine.

One of the things I thought worked very well on C50 was that Brian didn’t have to do a ton of heavy lifting. I like the idea of Brian as a side man, a backing guy. It was pretty interesting to hear him take lead parts on “California Dreamin’”, “All This is That”, etc. How about “Santa Ana Winds” with Brian singing the Mike lines. How about Matt and Brian sharing the lead on “Be Here in the Morning.” Stuff like that. 

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »

My thought there was that *if* Brian didn't want to tour again, *if* his band wanted to continue working together, and *if* Al felt like it, Brian and his team might welcome the extra income stream from licensing his name for the band.
Obviously, I *hope* that Brian carries on touring for a long time (and that he does so because he's enjoying it, and so on). But it would surprise me if they hadn't at least considered the possibility.

Definitely, I think the idea of an Al show with Brian's band is as intriguing at this stage as a Brian show. I certainly hope something like that happens. But it would be a weird sort of branding, and might not garner the best press, whether it was done while Brian was still alive or not.

I think Al might be able to relatively independently get a tour going (meaning still finding a promoter) and afford most of Brian's band if he banded together with, say Blondie and Dave, and did a super deep-cuts show with some early stuff with Dave wailing on guitar, and then a lot of early 70's era stuff. It would still be smaller venues, and Brian's guys would make less. But I wish *someone* in the BB camp would do something like that instead of these sidebands that basically just do a sort of "Papa Doo Run Run" show.

KDS
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 09:39:24 AM »

A happy medium would be something more like a true 50/50 billing. A Brian set and an Al set, with of course a section with both of them. Ideally, they could do a sort of 50/50 show but both stay on stage for the entire time. Essentially, a C50 show without the other three guys (David joining in certainly would be nice, as would Blondie), and with some of the Mike-centric stuff replaced with some deep cuts. A couple car songs with Al singing (or Brian) are fine.

One of the things I thought worked very well on C50 was that Brian didn’t have to do a ton of heavy lifting. I like the idea of Brian as a side man, a backing guy. It was pretty interesting to hear him take lead parts on “California Dreamin’”, “All This is That”, etc. How about “Santa Ana Winds” with Brian singing the Mike lines. How about Matt and Brian sharing the lead on “Be Here in the Morning.” Stuff like that. 

That would be very cool.  On the NPP Tour, Al handled quite a few of the leads.  With Matt, Darian, and Blondie contributing leads too, it probably took some of the weight off Brian's shoulders. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2015, 09:04:29 PM »

One of the great mysteries to me will always be why a guy like Al Jardine (there are many other examples in pop music) can be so damn talented, a great singer, decent songwriter.... why a guy like him never made it big solo.  

The only way I reconcile it in my mind, and this goes for pretty much all the beach boys including Brian... is that they're all kind of amateurs.  Best music ever, best singers ever, but they never really did things in a professional way in my opinion.  Not because they are irresponsible or anything, they show up when they say they will, they treat their fans with respect, they're authentic... but they've always kind of been self-taught and seem to out of of their way to NOT make smart business decisions that might move them towards a bigger market.  

So you end up with situations like having a 70 something Al Jardine who sounds better than 90% of the musicians on the radio but yet he doesn't appear to be making any money off of it.  Whole thing is just strange.

Meanwhile Mick Jagger could probably make millions of dollars doing a solo show somewhere.  Steve Perry has been retired for 20 years, would probably make 10mil plus if he did a show somewhere.  Al sounds better than both.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:06:20 PM by Ron » Logged
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 05:13:32 AM »

Shows you don't need to excessively drench your voice in processing.  He sounds naturally good as he always has.  Vocal performances are what most bring me down about a lot of current stuff, yet here a 70 year old man can still hold his own.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx