gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:47:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472236 times)
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: October 08, 2016, 02:37:55 AM »

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: October 08, 2016, 05:44:52 AM »

Good to know people are buying those RedBubble shirts... You are all slowly and steadily providing for a small fraction of my student grocery funds. Grin

Yeah, I bought my first one from Redbubble, but there was a light, hazy box on the front of the shirt where they must have pressed on the screening--it always bothered me and I had a size too big. I found a cheap, light blue shirt at Old Navy, brought it to my local hobby shop and they did the lettering for me. I love it!

Anyway, I was hoping I could get a quick answer, but for the VIP packages: will there be time between the meet & greet and the show for folks to grab dinner, etc. in between? I mean, I'm assuming "yes," because hungry, cranky fans aren't all that appealing. I just would like to know exactly when, I guess.

Thanks in advance.

The timing for my soundcheck and meet & greet was something like this:

3:30pm - Check-in and chance to buy from the merch table
4:00pm - Enter the soundcheck
4:30pm - Soundcheck concludes
4:45-5:00pm - Soundcheck only folks leave and the meet & greet starts
5:30pm - Meet & greet concludes

Actually, the meet & greet may have finished before that, I was one of the first 3 or 4 groups. I had plenty of time to grab dinner and make it back for the 8pm start time.

Have fun and report back!
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: October 08, 2016, 07:00:35 AM »

Marvellous.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: October 08, 2016, 11:05:43 AM »

Who is covering on keys now? I heard Darian was not in Portland and his sub was a new person?
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: October 08, 2016, 12:18:30 PM »

Love and Mercy with the final bows last night in Portland...

https://youtu.be/uQZLEUoixfQ
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: October 08, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »

Who is covering on keys now? I heard Darian was not in Portland and his sub was a new person?

Gary Griffin and Debbie Shair were on keys in Portland
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1806 on: October 08, 2016, 12:32:37 PM »

Brian sounds really good in that video...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: October 08, 2016, 12:47:02 PM »

Brian sounds really good in that video...

I really enjoyed the entire show but he was hit or miss last night. Love and Mercy was perfect, especially if I never get to see another Brian Wilson concert. I hope this wasn't my last, but you never know...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1808 on: October 10, 2016, 06:19:06 AM »

Anyone go to the Seattle show, or planning on going to Arcata tonight? Still no setlist for the Seattle show up at setlist.fm.

I doubt much has changed since Portland, but curious to see if anything changes up on this final run of US shows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: October 10, 2016, 08:40:17 AM »

Morning Hey Jude......I was there with  both undercover-m and bubbly waves.  So unbelievable to see this generation of 20-somethings enjoy the music as much as I have for the last 40 years !!  Believe me when I say Smiley Smile is in good shape with these kids (hee hee) contributing to the board. 

I can tell you the set-list is the almost exact same as Portland but with Your So Good To Me instead of Little Honda

And GREAT job keeping these set lists up to date
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: October 10, 2016, 09:06:28 AM »

And may I add about the show......just a beautiful evening.  The  Paramount Theatre in Seattle is a wonderful venue that has 3000+ seats.  People were begging for tickets outside the front door.

I felt Matt Jardine was the star of the show.  His voice just resonated both on his solo's and as he covered for Brian and the audience FULLY embraced him.
The band truly looked energized as they received multiple standing ovations throughout the show.  Brian was in a great mood and VERY talkative.  Al was....just Al.  His voice just ages like a fine wine.  And did Blondie rock !!

This was my first show seeing the new keyboardists.  The vocal stacked seemed different to me when they sang backup on some of the songs but in a good different way.  I think Gary is much lower than Darian (almost down to ML bass line but not quite) and Debbie obviously was higher than Scott in the old stack but also maybe a bit higher than when Taylor Mills was in the band. 

And as the encore worked its way to Love and Mercy, I started tearing up thinking this may be the last time I/we may see Brian out on an extended tour like we've seen this year.  Since 1974, this was my 45th  Beach Boys/ML Band/BW band show.  If this was my last show, I can't think of having a better evening meeting some Smiley Smilers and listening to the music we love.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: October 10, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »

I can attest to how good the show was. Brian was in a great mood, and I thought his voice sounded wonderful. Al and Matt and Blondie, too.

The meet & greet was a delight; got some posters and my CD copy of PS signed. After the show, my dad and I rushed upstage and received another handshake from Al and two copies of the setlist, which interestingly enough was just the album tracklist. I was pretty ecstatic since I've never gotten one before.

It was a pleasure to meet up with you, barsone. Bubbly & I both had fun at the dinner.
Here are our gorgeous faces (me, barsone, and bubbly, respectively, on the right, plus my father on the left):

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: October 10, 2016, 04:31:30 PM »

A thousand thanks for posting that photo of Brian with Maureen Love, HeyJude.  There's a lot of love and affection showing there.  Good vibrations too ;-)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1813 on: October 11, 2016, 09:52:03 AM »

Weird specific question: Can anyone who has seen or has purchased the black "hoodie" from Brian's merch stand confirm whether there's a giraffe printed on the sleeve? Brian's website doesn't show this, and one merch stand pic I can find doesn't (though it could be obscured), but I've seen a pic of Al on tour wearing one, and there's a giraffe on the his left sleeve.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1814 on: October 12, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »

Currently at intermission for the SF show. No weird surprises in the first set, though Do It Again replaced Salt Lake City.

Band and Brian sound great. Band is tight. Blondie broke a string during Wild Honey.

Blondie did some comical, um, thrusting during Wild Honey.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:16:47 PM by HeyJude » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1815 on: October 12, 2016, 09:22:52 PM »

Awesome...keep the reports coming!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1816 on: October 13, 2016, 12:56:30 AM »

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1817 on: October 13, 2016, 01:05:13 AM »

Cool

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1818 on: October 13, 2016, 06:41:48 AM »

I'll probably have a "full" review up at some point soon. But some observations from last night (and I apologize if someone already mentioned these things from previous shows):

As mentioned in a previous post, no surprises on the setlist other than dropping "Salt Lake City" and adding "Do It Again" in its place, the latter having not been done that often on this tour or particularly often at all since C50. On this show, the pick between "Little Honda" and "You're So Good To Me" went to "Little Honda."

Band was TIGHT. Last year, I heard them on the opening night of the NPP tour (where they were still surprisingly tight), and then a one-off show in September, so this is the first time since probably 2013 that I got them *during* a tour and at the tail-end of one. They were amazingly tight musically and vocally.

I thought I had seen them doing WIBN in the lower key earlier in the tour; I could just be misremembering. In any event, they did it the standard old BB concert key (I think just a half-step below the original record), and Matt sang the full song except for Brian on the bridge.

Brian did the "talky" singing on PS to some degree, though it wasn't as prominent as other shows on the tour I've heard, and it was confined only to some PS songs.

I was surprised to see that Matt Jardine switches over to *electric guitar* in Probyn's spot for "Let's Go Away for Awhile" and does all of the electric guitar noodly bits as the sole electric guitar player during the song. It's a pretty prominent guitar part to hear a guy do who prior to 2015 I had never seen play guitar at all through all his years playing with the BBs and Al. I really dig that Matt's branching out and playing more guitar.

I sense perhaps Blondie is getting a bit restless doing his same few songs, and on this show he seemed to vary his vocal intonations more and, as mentioned earlier, was trying out some new "moves" on stage including a *hilarious* and equally odd "thrusting/gyrating" bit during "Wild Honey."

Blondie came out and joined the band for "Little Honda", which seemed to surprise Al.

Blondie broke a string during "Wild Honey", but kept playing, and also played with the broken string through "Sail on Sailor." His guitar was one of the few times where the mix wasn't bringing it forward enough, so his guitar soloing was lost in the mix a bit and may have sounded to the audience as more noise than guitar solo.

Gary Griffin has seemed to morph more into Darian's on-stage role, playing a more prominent part and even seemingly *leading* the band during some songs. Debbie Shair seemed to play Griffin's previous role, doing more straight "rhythm piano" and then a few other assorted bits. She seemed to smile the entire time like she was getting a kick out of being there.

As pictured above, I was quite surprised to see this was one of the few shows that got its own individual (well, for the two night run of shows anyway) poster. Yes, they did just take the template from the Hollywood Bowl poster and change the background color and some wording/graphics. But still cool, and much more interesting than the standard poster. Unsigned posters were $20, signed were $100. I already have a few Brian autographs, so I went with saving $80. I also grabbed a program and hoodie.

Looks like they were also selling Brian's book at the show.

Sound was quite good at The Masonic, much better acoustics for a rock show than last year at Davies Symphony Hall. This was my first time at the Masonic.

Brian was in a good mood, and I have noticed what others have often mentioned: He seems to be in better voice and mood after a day (or more) off. Brian's singing during the non-PS stuff was good, better than I anticipated and better than a lot of the YouTube stuff I've seen/heard. He was also better than I anticipated  on the PS stuff. I have to wonder if he's just a little bored of doing PS every night, leading to the weird Sinatra/Nick Cave "talky" singing. I've seen Brian a dozen or however many times since 1999, so I know how good and bad it can be for him on any given night. He had a good night last night in San Francisco, and I'm glad.

Al was in fine voice as always. Kicked ass on "I Know There's an Answer."

Matt Jardine is now being brought to the front of the stage for "Don't Worry Baby"; the crowd went nuts for him. It almost seemed like he brought a fan club with him or something with all the swooning and whatnot.

Simply put, Matt is easily the best falsetto guy either the BBs or Brian have ever used on tour. No doubt, no question. As I've often said since Matt joined, this isn't a knock on Foskett; I was openly lobbying for Matt to join Brian's tour all the way back in 1999 when such an event seemed *impossible*.

Overall, a great, great show. Other than not changing up the setlist more, I have no complaints. So, so glad I got to see another show. More thoughts as they come....

Awful smartphone pic that really just proves I was there more than anything else (I'm guessing the local papers and other posters will come up with far better pics):

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:55:09 AM by HeyJude » Logged

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: October 13, 2016, 06:52:11 AM »

Thanks HJ, fantastic review by one of the best pens, best ears, and most rational thinkers, in all BB/BW fandom.
Agree 100% on Matt Jardine. Well, he is his father's son after all. Smiley

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1820 on: October 13, 2016, 07:05:37 AM »

A review from the Mercury News:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/13/review-brian-wilson-brings-pet-sounds-to-life/

And some pics:

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: October 13, 2016, 07:56:18 AM »

Brian was in a good mood, and I have noticed what others have often mentioned: He seems to be in better voice and mood after a day (or more) off. Brian's singing during the non-PS stuff was good, better than I anticipated and better than a lot of the YouTube stuff I've seen/heard. He was also better than I anticipated  on the PS stuff. I have to wonder if he's just a little bored of doing PS every night, leading to the weird Sinatra/Nick Cave "talky" singing. I've seen Brian a dozen or however many times since 1999, so I know how good and bad it can be for him on any given night. He had a good night last night in San Francisco, and I'm glad.

Al was in fine voice as always. Kicked ass on "I Know There's an Answer."

Matt Jardine is now being brought to the front of the stage for "Don't Worry Baby"; the crowd went nuts for him. It almost seemed like he brought a fan club with him or something with all the swooning and whatnot.

Simply put, Matt is easily the best falsetto guy either the BBs or Brian have ever used on tour. No doubt, no question. As I've often said since Matt joined, this isn't a knock on Foskett; I was openly lobbying for Matt to join Brian's tour all the way back in 1999 when such an event seemed *impossible*.

I had a similar observation in Detroit, one day of rest and we got a very upbeat, rested Brian with strong vocals. I know I have contributed to this by posting my YouTube videos, but I think it's unfair to put too much stock in anything posted to YouTube--audio pulled from an iPhone isn't the best. You can get an overall feel, but it's far from ideal.

I do question why he would be any more bored by the PS songs compared to the other hits he plays night in and night out???

No doubt that Matt got one of the biggest reactions of the night at the show I attended. Much deserved.

Sounds like a great night!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1822 on: October 13, 2016, 09:26:05 AM »

YouTube videos definitely have their limitations. I don't put much stock in them when rating how well a show's sound was mixed, or how good the acoustics are in a venue.

But, assuming the lead vocal can be heard, I think it gives a pretty good baseline for how Brian (or others) are doing vocally.

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: October 13, 2016, 11:14:10 AM »

YouTube videos definitely have their limitations. I don't put much stock in them when rating how well a show's sound was mixed, or how good the acoustics are in a venue.

But, assuming the lead vocal can be heard, I think it gives a pretty good baseline for how Brian (or others) are doing vocally.

Fair point.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: October 13, 2016, 04:06:27 PM »

Do it Again is back! Hurray! They did it back in June in Burlington and it was fantastic...that moment just before the last chorus when there's a second of pause and then everyone starts in again...bliss. When I saw them three weeks later in Ottawa it had disappeared from the set and remained off for months.

And just to note that Blondie has been humping his guitar periodically throughout the tour...it's always an interesting moment.

The poster is really nice!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx