gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472175 times)
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: September 29, 2016, 01:15:35 PM »

Anybody know what Darian's schedule for the remaining part of the tour should be?

I don't know Darian's schedule, but it appears that his recent return was not planned and was a result of Billy Hinsche having to leave. They apparently went with no fill-in for a few shows, then Darian returned and my 100% total guess is that he only came back temporarily until they could find (and perhaps Darian could help "train") another keyboardist.

As mentioned awhile back, Billy Hinsche was originally only slated to fill-in for Darian through the June 19th show, but then when the tour resumed at the end of June, Billy was still there and remained until earlier this month. I don't know if Darian was originally scheduled to return at the end of June, or if they were planning on getting yet *another* replacement at that time. I would guess the original plan was for Darian to return, but he wasn't able to, and Billy was able to continue to fill in.

Considering the main "North American" leg of the tour ends in a couple of weeks, I would guess Darian probably won't be back in October. Who will reappear for the October/November/December gigs outside the US is anybody's guess at the moment.  

This is probably a pretty common thing for a band that is doing *extensive* touring (the schedule has to be at or near 100 shows at this point) in a given year when they are not normally on a round-the-clock contract/retainer all year long with Brian. Whereas, say, Mike Love's guys rarely are missing because they have a year-long, year-after-year schedule and thus don't need to take other engagements, the members of Brian's band on typical years are usually doing other things, and clearly at least in Darian's case he wasn't able to clear the entire year to tour because of other commitments. This year's near full-time schedule between March and October is a relatively rare thing for Brian.

Interesting. Thanks for the great analysis. It does beg a few questions:

1. Is it safe to assume that Darian's day job with Disney XD's Future-Worm! is more lucrative than touring with Brian? Or does it have more to do with Darian's long term aspirations and career building?
2. Do you think the length of this tour has been a surprise to those in the Brian Wilson band universe?
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: September 29, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »

Anybody know what Darian's schedule for the remaining part of the tour should be?

I don't know Darian's schedule, but it appears that his recent return was not planned and was a result of Billy Hinsche having to leave. They apparently went with no fill-in for a few shows, then Darian returned and my 100% total guess is that he only came back temporarily until they could find (and perhaps Darian could help "train") another keyboardist.

As mentioned awhile back, Billy Hinsche was originally only slated to fill-in for Darian through the June 19th show, but then when the tour resumed at the end of June, Billy was still there and remained until earlier this month. I don't know if Darian was originally scheduled to return at the end of June, or if they were planning on getting yet *another* replacement at that time. I would guess the original plan was for Darian to return, but he wasn't able to, and Billy was able to continue to fill in.

Considering the main "North American" leg of the tour ends in a couple of weeks, I would guess Darian probably won't be back in October. Who will reappear for the October/November/December gigs outside the US is anybody's guess at the moment.  

This is probably a pretty common thing for a band that is doing *extensive* touring (the schedule has to be at or near 100 shows at this point) in a given year when they are not normally on a round-the-clock contract/retainer all year long with Brian. Whereas, say, Mike Love's guys rarely are missing because they have a year-long, year-after-year schedule and thus don't need to take other engagements, the members of Brian's band on typical years are usually doing other things, and clearly at least in Darian's case he wasn't able to clear the entire year to tour because of other commitments. This year's near full-time schedule between March and October is a relatively rare thing for Brian.

Having Scott Bennett unavailable probably didn't help things. Usually their fill-in would be Gary Griffin, but it seems he's working with Brian pretty much full-time now.

I think having to constantly switch keyboard players in and out is part of the reason why the setlists haven't been too adventurous. The lineup of the band is changing almost week-by-week.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: September 29, 2016, 02:26:13 PM »

I attended the show in Easton on Sunday; if you were there, guitarfool, I would have liked to have met up!

This was my first BW solo gig, after attending two C50 gigs previously. The wife, who was less than enthusiastic going into it, was smiling and dancing (when appropriate) the whole time. She was actually rather agitated that so many people just sat completely still in their seats during so many songs. HOW CAN YOU SIT STILL DURING "DANCE DANCE DANCE"Huh!?!?!

So yeah, boring crowd. I tried to make up for it by screaming my bloody head off after Wake the World and Add Some Music, which most people clearly didn't recognize and barely received any applause. I have avoided this thread (and setlists generally) in the hopes of surprising myself, and Wake the World and Add Some Music really made my night. The house was dark, the crazy piano chords for "Wake the World" filled the air... so special. SO FLIPPIN SPECIAL.

Wait-- holy crap, Darian's "Darlin'" blew my mind, too. He sounded so much like Carl at some points-- and not at others, but Carl is a tough act to follow -- that I kept closing my eyes to pretend. That guy's amazing.

"Sail Away" rocked live, I'm glad we got something newer than "Love & Mercy" in the set. First time hearing L&M live. Is Every L&M different? It just seemed so personal, so of-the-moment and so special, that I felt like that was *our* version.

Man, I wish Blondie had more to do. But it made the missus and I smile every time he loped onto the stage, whether for guitar and vocals or just some tambourine pyrotechnics. That's what this band needed! Some high energy from a bona fide rock star. Nicky Wonder has some flash, but Blondie! They must limit his appearances in order to prevent him from stealing the show all night long.

Al was Al, and I love him all the more for it. Corny, calm, steady. Pleasant.

Brian. Brian was either having a great time, or was feeling up to making it seem like he was. Either way, I kick myself for not taking advantage of every opportunity to see him live in the past. He missed cues, yes. His delivery on his Pet Sounds leads was that weird, breathy lounge thing. We cringed a few times, but I already knew what to expect, as did the wife. It made the experience bittersweet, much like the album itself. I was a little sad that Brian wasn't what he was 50 years ago, but since that's a ridiculous thing to expect, I just got over it. In the end, our hearts were filled to bursting.

Brian was funny, and made us laugh quite a bit. The "That's Not Me" bit made us lol, and the "Did you come to hear 'Bad' Vibrations? Or did you come to hear 'Silly' Vibrations? How about 'Good' Vibrations?" did, too. He almost skipped over Pet Sounds (instrumental), and after a gentle, sweet reminder from Darian, blamed it on his teleprompter guy. Gold. I didn't take my phone out once, but I wish I had a HD recording of the show and a soundboard boot. I don't want to forget a thing.

The band had a few moments where things didn't go quite perfectly, and I heard a few bum notes on a few harmony blocks that weren't Brian or Al. Matt Jardine was the wife's favorite, and I definitely enjoy his falsetto more than Foskett's.

JESUS what a band, what a show. I was satisfied, and left wanting more. It actually made me want to catch the M&B Beach Boys the next time they play the local Elks lodge.

Cheers!

Fantastic review! Due to a scheduling conflict I couldn't make it to Easton this year (I did last year and it was one of the best experiences of my life). My parents went to this show and sometime during the show my father texted me and said "Brian is on fire tonight!" - I'm bummed I missed out on it!

I'm really glad that Brian, the band, and the audience had such a great night.

Of the 7+ (or something like that?) times I've seen Brian, Easton was definitely one of the best. His vocals were on point and he was interactive with the crowd. Loved it!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: September 29, 2016, 06:56:31 PM »

Brian seemed at ease and relaxed Tuesday night in CT. Right from the start introducing songs etc. He perfectly timed Row Row Your Boat when the audience was returning late from intermission. I thought he was totally in control. The only vocal I thought was a real noticeable struggle was YSBIM.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1729 on: September 30, 2016, 11:20:33 AM »

Cool interview with Matt Jardine from, I presume, yesterday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGGXI-OGkKY

What a freaking easy going, cool guy. I'm so glad he's the guy filling that role in Brian's band. I sincerely hope this is the guy that can fill that role in Brian's band for the remainder of Brian's career.

Would definitely love to see (and hear) a long interview with him; between his years in the BB organization, plus Al's band, and now Brian's, there have to be a ton of cool stories. He's shared a few over the years about Carl and whatnot.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1730 on: September 30, 2016, 11:22:23 AM »

One tiny nitpick about the show; it looks like Matt is singing even more of the lead on "Don't Talk" compared to earlier in the tour. I wish they could bring the key back up to the original recording's key now that Matt's doing most of the lead.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:22:59 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: September 30, 2016, 01:22:06 PM »

Great to hear from Matt J; definitely the sort of guy we could happily hear more from

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: September 30, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »

Cool interview with Matt Jardine from, I presume, yesterday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGGXI-OGkKY

What a freaking easy going, cool guy. I'm so glad he's the guy filling that role in Brian's band. I sincerely hope this is the guy that can fill that role in Brian's band for the remainder of Brian's career.

Would definitely love to see (and hear) a long interview with him; between his years in the BB organization, plus Al's band, and now Brian's, there have to be a ton of cool stories. He's shared a few over the years about Carl and whatnot.

Very nice.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: September 30, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »

Grabbing some dinner after the Detroit soundcheck and meet & greet. Brian is in great voice and was really in charge during the soundcheck. Johnny B. Goode was introduced as not being done in a very long time. Here is what was played:

California Saga (w/o Brian)
Johnny B. Goode (w/o Brian)
Johnny B. Goode
Surfer Girl
Salt Lake City
Sail Away

With limited wifi, Johnny B. Goode is the only video I have uploaded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqLeEcPO2gE

As for the meet & greet, you are still able to get any two items signed by the guys. Most folks were doing just the poster and GOK lyric sheet. Here is what I got:

Review of the show will have to wait a few days, as I have a 2.5 hour drive home and then on a plane first thing in the morning.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:13:46 PM by Marty Castillo » Logged
Scaroline No
« Reply #1734 on: September 30, 2016, 03:11:01 PM »

Grabbing some dinner after the Detroit soundcheck and meet & greet. Brian is in great voice and was really in charge during the soundcheck. Johnny B. Goode was introduced as not being done in a very long time. Here is what was played:

Johnny B. Goode
Surfer Girl
Salt Lake City
Sail Away

As for the meet & greet, you are still able to get any two items signed by the guys. Most folks were doing just the poster and GOK lyric sheet. Here is what I got:

[/URL]

Review of the show will have to wait a few days, as I have a 2.5 hour drive home and then on a plane first thing in the morning.

This made me all fan  squealy 
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: September 30, 2016, 03:30:20 PM »

I lied, wifi was relatively good and was able to get all the videos uploaded...heading to the show now:

California Saga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeXFrNs6Y_g

Johnny B. Goode (I only recorded the one with Brian)

Surfer Girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_awz0nXj0

Salt Lake City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUfGTPv58vc

Sail Away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWCkG8uD53s
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: September 30, 2016, 05:07:20 PM »

Johnny B. Goode
Surfer Girl
Salt Lake City
Sail Away

[/URL]

This made me all fan  squealy 

Seconded! Damn what a collection  Shocked
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: September 30, 2016, 05:07:46 PM »

He talked again about a R&R album next year and a cover of JBG. Seeing that clip I think it's a fun song for the show but I don't hear anything worthy of a cover I'm afraid.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: September 30, 2016, 06:20:00 PM »

He talked again about a R&R album next year and a cover of JBG. Seeing that clip I think it's a fun song for the show but I don't hear anything worthy of a cover I'm afraid.

Next year!  Rock and Roll album!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1739 on: September 30, 2016, 06:24:18 PM »

Just like how the bedroom tapes are gonna be released later this year Wink

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: September 30, 2016, 09:06:25 PM »

Just got back from the Detroit show.  What a day.  Marty filled you in on the soundcheck.  I believe Brian said "Johnny B Goode" was for tomorrow.. He said "Chicago."  After that we got ready for the meet and greet, though I couldn't hear any of the instructions.  I wasn't going to bother getting individual guys to sign specific things..  My wife got the 2 items they give you signed (poster & GOK sheet) and I got my LP jackets for "Pet Sounds" and "Love & Mercy" soundtrack signed (love that artwork).

The meet & greet was very fast.  The lady stood between us and the 3 guys and instructed them on what to sign.  Then she kind of told us to get behind them for the picture.  We did so, but it really didn't feel like I met them, or made eye contact with any of them.. so I said "do you guys shake hands?"  What followed was a couple seconds of silence, and I wasn't sure they heard me, then Brian said "sure" and I got to shake all 3.. Then Brian told me to enjoy the show.  That was cool!

I got back in the lobby and everyone was gone.  I asked the guy, "did everyone leave?" and he said "yeah, you have to, doors are at 6:30" (about an hour from now).  I didn't know this.. It was probably in the inaudible instructions.  So we went and put my goodies in the car and went to the Hockeytown cafe for an appetizer.  Bob Lizik came in and sat at the bar with another guy.  When we got back in the venue, Probyn, Nelson, and possibly Nick were walking around the merch booth area.  

We got to our front row seats.. Unfortunately that's a frustrating place to sit (but an awesome place to stand).  Frustrating because the only way in & out of the orchestra pit is in front of us and people love to come late and leave for drinks every couple songs.  Also couldn't see Brian easily over his piano.. you could see his mouth if you sat up straight, but not his chin.  It was great though..  I got to stand and observe a flawless "Love & Mercy" from Brian that brought tears to my eyes.  The first set was excellent and probably overshadowed "Pet Sounds" with it's energy and solid performances from all the guys.  Brian's only sour notes came during the more difficult "Pet Sounds" material.  Still, IJWMFTT is always excellent and he had a couple vocal moments during "That's Not Me" that got applause from the crowd.  I was disappointed to hear Darian wouldn't be there, but Debbie Shair was a lot of fun to watch.

God Bless this man.  I got 4 autographs for each of the 3 guys, a t-shirt, program, mug, VIP passes, the poster & GOK sheet, encore setlist page from Probyn, 3 handshakes, a picture with the guys, and memories that will last me the rest of my life.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:43:18 PM by TV Forces » Logged
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: October 01, 2016, 05:36:53 AM »

I was able to record Little Deuce Coupe, Salt Lake City, Sloop John B and God Only Knows during the main set. I'll have to wait to upload until later today, as I'm working off free airport wifi. Here is the first set:

Pet Sounds set

Followed by the standard encore of:
Good Vibrations
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun, Fun, Fun
Love & Mercy
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1742 on: October 01, 2016, 11:06:46 AM »

I lied, wifi was relatively good and was able to get all the videos uploaded...heading to the show now:

California Saga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeXFrNs6Y_g

Johnny B. Goode (I only recorded the one with Brian)

Surfer Girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_awz0nXj0

Salt Lake City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUfGTPv58vc

Sail Away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWCkG8uD53s

Thanks for those!

Brian sounded pretty good on JBG

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: October 01, 2016, 06:33:52 PM »

Here are the four videos I recorded at the Detroit show last night. I apologize for the low angle, but security was pretty diligent and admonishing folks who were recording less discretely:

Little Deuce Coupe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfEY1lopk-s

Salt Lake City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQw_3j2MESU

Sloop John B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7CCU0rcxAc

God Only Knows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWxMIEVfeGI
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1744 on: October 01, 2016, 06:45:32 PM »

Gonna check them out tonight!

At the show I went to, the security was letting people shoot videos , and one of them made use of his phone during the car songs

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: October 01, 2016, 07:16:40 PM »

Waiting to hit the can during intermission, but the first half was the strongest I have sern on the tour. Brian in fine form and the band kicking ass. Brian dedicated Johnny B Goode to John Cusack who is at the show.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1746 on: October 01, 2016, 07:35:45 PM »

Awesome  Cool

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: October 02, 2016, 01:14:37 AM »

For Pet Sounds,  Brian, I thought did more of his usual singing style as opposed to Crooner Brian. It all still works and he was in a nice, relaxed mood. I imagine, based on the amount of audience reaction and love, that many of the current audiences on this tour are new fans. Nothing wrong with that, of course. But I would still urge any longtime fans who are on the fence about going because "he's already played Pet Sounds how many times" to go. This will not last forever and, to me, these shows have been truly moving experiences. Especially seeing the audience love.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: October 02, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »

Thanks for all the vids, great stuff

Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: October 03, 2016, 01:58:16 AM »

For Pet Sounds,  Brian, I thought did more of his usual singing style as opposed to Crooner Brian. It all still works and he was in a nice, relaxed mood. I imagine, based on the amount of audience reaction and love, that many of the current audiences on this tour are new fans. Nothing wrong with that, of course. But I would still urge any longtime fans who are on the fence about going because "he's already played Pet Sounds how many times" to go. This will not last forever and, to me, these shows have been truly moving experiences. Especially seeing the audience love.

So glad you were able to go to Chicago show.  This was obviously his 2nd appearance there this tour, but appears to be the preferable one as far as sound, comfort levels, etc.  Hope to hear more about it, and Detroit and Minneapolis.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx