gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:24:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472238 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1525 on: August 16, 2016, 12:18:19 PM »

Hard to say. They now have three European dates spanning the end of October and beginning of November. At the very least, I could see them filling in a few more shows between that Paris gig and the Oslo gig.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1526 on: August 17, 2016, 01:58:11 PM »

No setlist found yet for last night's Bowling Green show, though someone on the BW website board mentioned "Wake the World" and "Add Some Music to Your Day."

Was also curious if Darian would be back yet, but a short clip on YouTube shows Billy Hinsche is still there.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: August 19, 2016, 08:54:27 AM »

saw the show in Asheville last night. Brian and the band got a great reception and did a fantastic performance.

been avoiding this thread to keep from spoiling any possible surprises this tour, so I was indeed surprised by the "River Deep" intro to CA Girls not to mention Funky Pretty! Wake the World and California were also great treats to hear. I wasn't expecting Billy to be in the band so that was very cool too. Matt sounded really great... the crowd loved him. Brian telling folks to "please be seated" 2 or 3 times over the course of the show was this tour's crack-up moment. Blondie was feeling great and it showed, I don't think too many in the crowd were expecting his presence at all especially when he cranked up and rocked out... I was loving every second of it. and what can you say about Al that hasn't already been said... he was solid as ever, his voice is the fountain of youth, and he dressed the part in his white suit and matching guitar. I may have shouted out "Keep it Clean!" at one point, can't quite recall.

Brian wasn't nearly as animated or talkative as last summer's tour, but I like his new vocal approach on some of the songs... almost talking his way through verses at times and playing with the timing, similar to Willie Nelson or Bob Dylan. really seems to suit him at his age and it's great to hear him trying something new.

picked up a poster and tour booklet, which features several outtakes from the front and back cover shoots I'd never seen before. the $100 bronze bust of Brian was a cool thing I'd love to own, but I had to pass.

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 19, 2016, 11:02:16 PM »

saw the show in Asheville last night. Brian and the band got a great reception and did a fantastic performance.

been avoiding this thread to keep from spoiling any possible surprises this tour, so I was indeed surprised by the "River Deep" intro to CA Girls not to mention Funky Pretty! Wake the World and California were also great treats to hear. I wasn't expecting Billy to be in the band so that was very cool too. Matt sounded really great... the crowd loved him. Brian telling folks to "please be seated" 2 or 3 times over the course of the show was this tour's crack-up moment. Blondie was feeling great and it showed, I don't think too many in the crowd were expecting his presence at all especially when he cranked up and rocked out... I was loving every second of it. and what can you say about Al that hasn't already been said... he was solid as ever, his voice is the fountain of youth, and he dressed the part in his white suit and matching guitar. I may have shouted out "Keep it Clean!" at one point, can't quite recall.

Brian wasn't nearly as animated or talkative as last summer's tour, but I like his new vocal approach on some of the songs... almost talking his way through verses at times and playing with the timing, similar to Willie Nelson or Bob Dylan. really seems to suit him at his age and it's great to hear him trying something new.

picked up a poster and tour booklet, which features several outtakes from the front and back cover shoots I'd never seen before. the $100 bronze bust of Brian was a cool thing I'd love to own, but I had to pass.

I was at the Raleigh show tonight and it was very similar to the show you went to.  Brian missed a few cues and a lyric or two, but Al was there to pick him up. He did the talk/singing thing, but it has that quirky Brian charm and it does seem like he is telling a story, especially in You Still Believe In me.  It almost seemed like he and Matt were playing the roles of couple; it kind of reminded me of some stuff Daltrey and Townshend do. And I can't say enough about how great Matt Jardine is....this is my second time seeing him, I saw him a few years back with the Surf City All-Stars with Al, David and Dean and he was fantastic there too. And Brian's band is just ridiculously good.  It was also exciting to see Billy, as I didn't become a huge BB fan until after his and Ed Carter's time in the band was over.

I picked up the "Help Me Rhonda" baseball tee....pricey at $50, but I've wanted that shirt for years.

I couldn't be happier.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1529 on: August 19, 2016, 11:20:25 PM »

I was at the Raleigh show, too. It was fantastic. And I agree with others above. Matt Jardine is a major talent. They all are, really. Enjoyed watching Blondie play some lead guitar. And Mike D'Amico paid homage to Dennis by playing drums "Denny Style" on "Surfin' U.S.A." . . . Left hand playing the hi-hat and the right on snare.

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: August 19, 2016, 11:46:36 PM »

I was at the Raleigh show, too. It was fantastic. And I agree with others above. Matt Jardine is a major talent. They all are, really. Enjoyed watching Blondie play some lead guitar. And Mike D'Amico paid homage to Dennis by playing drums "Denny Style" on "Surfin' U.S.A." . . . Left hand playing the hi-hat and the right on snare.

I was playing that way once and bent my hi-hat....the cymbals were kinda cheap but I still got a laugh out of it.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1531 on: August 22, 2016, 09:32:32 AM »

Updated the setlist links on the top post. Anyone have a setlist for the 8/18 Asheville show? That one is still missing.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 22, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »

Updated the setlist links on the top post. Anyone have a setlist for the 8/18 Asheville show? That one is still missing.

Thanks for keeping everything up. I'm still surprised at the number of early Beach Boy tunes in the show. YES I KNOW- it is Brian's music he can play what he wants...please, people in the woodwork waiting to attack...just stay there. My thoughts are that with the number of musicians on stage and especially the presence of Blondie, he wouldn't feel the need to be playing so many car songs etc.  Hoping the gorgeous Hippodrome here in Baltimore tomorrow night inspires them to dig out some deeper cuts in place of those tomorrow!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1533 on: August 22, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »

Thanks for keeping everything up. I'm still surprised at the number of early Beach Boy tunes in the show. YES I KNOW- it is Brian's music he can play what he wants...please, people in the woodwork waiting to attack...just stay there. My thoughts are that with the number of musicians on stage and especially the presence of Blondie, he wouldn't feel the need to be playing so many car songs etc.  Hoping the gorgeous Hippodrome here in Baltimore tomorrow night inspires them to dig out some deeper cuts in place of those tomorrow!

I've been hoping for something different: more deep cuts, a rare Al song or two, another Blondie song, etc. But I think the setlist is pretty firmly in place. I'm sure we'll get a weird item (or at least different, or something rotated in from previous months) here and there randomly. But they rehearsed "Leaving this Town" and have never added it to the setlist, they dropped "Honkin' Down the Highway" some time back, appear to have quickly dropped the intriguing variation of Blondie singing the bridge on "Surfer Girl", and the 38-39 song setlist seems like the "long" variation at this point.

So I would expect and assume that the most recent 38-39 song setlists are the best case scenario, and sometimes it goes back down to 32-35 songs.

I just wish they could even do a few seeming "no brainers" that have even been performed or rehearsed on occasion in the past like "Lookin' at Tomorrow" or "Leaving This Town."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:30:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1534 on: August 22, 2016, 12:38:25 PM »

I hadn't really noticed that "One Kind of Love" has been gone from the setlist for awhile. The last performance I can find is July 15th. It wasn't one of my favorites, so I don't particularly mind.

But it would be interesting if they dug into something else from his solo catalog.

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 22, 2016, 11:50:23 PM »

Nice to see the setlists back up to 38 songs...  maybe Brian is feeling better.

I find it a bit sad that they seem to have dropped 'One Kind of Love'--that was really great when they played it in Osaka.  Maybe they can bring back another NPP song, like 'Sail Away' though? 
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 23, 2016, 04:41:16 AM »

Nice to see the setlists back up to 38 songs...  maybe Brian is feeling better.

I find it a bit sad that they seem to have dropped 'One Kind of Love'--that was really great when they played it in Osaka.  Maybe they can bring back another NPP song, like 'Sail Away' though? 

In general they should have more solo songs.  There are plenty of good ones to choose from.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1537 on: August 23, 2016, 07:12:11 AM »

Once "new album" solo stuff gets dropped, it doesn't often reappear. There are random times where things get reintroduced. He has put "Your Imagination" back into the setlist as recently as 2013.

But I wouldn't count on much new solo stuff being added. And, if it is, it's more likely to be some random older cut than it is a different track from NPP.

Would still love to hear the band tackle, say, "Orange Crate Art" or "San Francisco."

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: August 23, 2016, 09:00:35 PM »

First and foremost...SETLIST: the order may be slightly off...

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
River Deep --> California Girls
Dance, Dance, Dance
I Get Around
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Little Honda
Don't Worry Baby
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Wake The World
Add Some Music To Your Day
You're So Good To Me
California Saga
Wild Honey
Funky Pretty
Sail on Sailor
-Intermission-
-Pet Sounds-
-Standard Encore-
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: August 23, 2016, 09:20:07 PM »

So thoughts on the show...by section:

The Opening Set- The sound was very quiet and the theatre was very cold. However, it was a great crowd. The band could have played anything at all...it was all very well received, something that certainly doesn't happen at a "Beach Boys" concert often. Brian started out great. His vocals were mostly solid. I still wish they played more Post-Pet Sounds material. It's really awkward to sit in a cold, dark theatre listening to an under tempo version of "Dance, Dance, Dance" politely in your seat. That being said, it was the PERFECT venue for "Wake The World" onward. The only noticeable screw-up was on the bridge of "In My Room" Brian started with "Do my crying and my sighing" so when that part came up he realized it instantly and threw his hands over his face. Also, one good Brianism came before "You're So Good To Me" (which I think made it's tour debut tonight?) when Al asked Brian if he knew which album it was from and Brian dead pans with an exasperated "Well I don't know!"...got a good chuckle! Blondie's set is still hands-down the highlight of the first set when he's with them. "Leaving This Town" would be the cherry on top...hopefully it gets in there by September.

Pet Sounds- I've only seen an album performed live once and that was Rush's "Moving Pictures" tour in 2011. When they did it, there was almost no breaks at all...they played it like the record was playing and it was a really cool effect that I think would've gone down well tonight. Brian introduced every single song, and also pointed out which ones were instrumentals...and Alan's joke about flipping the record went over well. But, I think this could be so effective as just one work of art...no breaks, no jokes, no introductions. It was definitely a "Pet Sounds" crowd...everyone knew which song came next. Additionally, Brian seemed incredibly tense during this set. He did not appear comfortable like he did in the opening set at all. His hands were away from the keyboard much more and he missed a lot of lines so much, to the point that Matt Jardine began to start a lot of the phrases and then Brian would ease in. Of course, some of these seemed rehearsed but some definitely did not. Brian also had a much rougher voice in this set...which isn't an adjective I'd often use to describe anything about Brian, but his voice got kinda growly at times. Caroline, No wasn't even close to over yet...he sang his last word and took off in a very unsteady sprint off stage without a wave or glance at the audience. I've always seen Brian at least wave before he leaves and he'll usually wait till the songs in the final bars or so.

Encore- I liked this more than usual. Von Mertens got the crowd on their feet after introducing Brian, and luckily they stayed up! Additionally, Alan sang the leads on "Barbara Ann" and most of "Surfin' USA" and "Fun Fun Fun" which added more strength to the vocal line. "Love and Mercy" was incredibly touching and definitely Brian's best lead of the night...he really nailed it.

We left as they were bowing, and as we were crossing the street to the parking garage, we saw Brian and posse making a break out the stage door to the bus just across the street...as he got on, I yelled out a big "Love ya Brian!"...no sign if he heard me or not, but how often do I get to tell Brian Wilson I love him from across the street?  Cheesy   I'm really excited for the Strathmore show. We have the first two seats on the upper box so we're like almost on the edge of the stage. I think I'll try and make a sign or sheet or something to hang over with like a "Pet Sounds Forever" or something on it...the wheels are turning...
KDS
« Reply #1540 on: August 24, 2016, 05:24:57 AM »

RS,

I noticed his vocals were a little rougher on PS too, particularly on YSBIM.  But, overall, a very good vocal performance.  Matt did a terrific job on the higher notes.

I also noticed the theater was a little chilly at the beginning of the show, but I felt like they turned the AC down a bit.  I thought it was noticeably warmer by the end of the PS set.  Maybe it was the music.

You already mentioned the Brianism before YSGTM.  Brian also asked the crowd to please be seated during several standing ovations in the middle of the PS set. 

Also amusing moment, when Blondie came out at the end of the first set, he forgot what song they were going into. 

Great show.  The sound mix was incredible.  The band was on the whole night.  Like you said, Brian's vocals were very good in the first set.  Got a little rough around the edges at times at the beginning of the PS set, but seemed to smooth out by the time he got to I'm Waiting for the Day. 

Very minor setlist gripe.  I wouldn't mind seeing the early car songs dropped in favor of more Sunflower / Surf's Up era material. 

Great night.  Now, 27 days til Bethesda. 
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: August 24, 2016, 06:01:47 AM »

They did You're so good to me earlier in the tour, in Burlington, I think.

Is anyone going to Syracuse next week? Don't know what to expect, as this is a show that is included in fair admission. I think that will make it a "greatest hits" type crowd as opposed to some of the theatre shows I've seen where people are clearly there for more than just the car songs.
KDS
« Reply #1542 on: August 24, 2016, 06:25:26 AM »

I didn't mention in my earlier post of the Baltimore show. 

One of my highlights was the performance of I Know There's an Answer.  Brian would sing the first line of the verse (Mike's part), followed by Al on banjo singing the rest of the verse.  Then, Matt comes up to do the chorus. 

One of many highlights, but that one stuck out to me.  I'm really hoping for a live document of the tour, if just to have a live version of this PS song with Al's vocals. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: August 24, 2016, 07:32:58 AM »

RS,

I noticed his vocals were a little rougher on PS too, particularly on YSBIM.  But, overall, a very good vocal performance.  Matt did a terrific job on the higher notes.

I also noticed the theater was a little chilly at the beginning of the show, but I felt like they turned the AC down a bit.  I thought it was noticeably warmer by the end of the PS set.  Maybe it was the music.

You already mentioned the Brianism before YSGTM.  Brian also asked the crowd to please be seated during several standing ovations in the middle of the PS set. 

Also amusing moment, when Blondie came out at the end of the first set, he forgot what song they were going into. 

Great show.  The sound mix was incredible.  The band was on the whole night.  Like you said, Brian's vocals were very good in the first set.  Got a little rough around the edges at times at the beginning of the PS set, but seemed to smooth out by the time he got to I'm Waiting for the Day. 

Very minor setlist gripe.  I wouldn't mind seeing the early car songs dropped in favor of more Sunflower / Surf's Up era material. 

Yes! Forgot about please be seated moments...that was mildly terrifying.  LOL

Where were your seats? I was on the main level but beneath the upper level and it was really quiet back there. Really looking forward to Strathmore!
KDS
« Reply #1544 on: August 24, 2016, 07:56:23 AM »

RS,

Where were your seats? I was on the main level but beneath the upper level and it was really quiet back there. Really looking forward to Strathmore!

I was orchestra center row O, which I suppose was about 20 rows back or so. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: August 24, 2016, 08:23:24 AM »

RS,

I was orchestra center row O, which I suppose was about 20 rows back or so. 

I was much farther back in row BB far, far left.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1546 on: August 24, 2016, 10:27:48 AM »

Added a November 7 Sweden show to the top post schedule.

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1547 on: August 24, 2016, 01:01:36 PM »

For those on Facebook, here are three full-song video clips from the Raleigh show, 8-19-16.

You Still Believe In Me:
https://www.facebook.com/mark.a.moore.79/videos/10210282306280146/

God Only Knows:
https://www.facebook.com/mark.a.moore.79/videos/10210282529925737/

Band Intro and Good Vibrations:
https://www.facebook.com/mark.a.moore.79/videos/10210282686929662/

KDS
« Reply #1548 on: August 24, 2016, 01:10:52 PM »

Another stray observation from Baltimore's concert last night. 

Nobody sang Mike's lyrics on the coda of WIBN ("Good Night / Sleep Night / etc"). 

Has this occurred on other shows on the tour? 

lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 24, 2016, 01:45:14 PM »

Another stray observation from Baltimore's concert last night. 

Nobody sang Mike's lyrics on the coda of WIBN ("Good Night / Sleep Night / etc"). 

Has this occurred on other shows on the tour? 

The coda was not sung at the Asheville show either.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx