gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:55:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472153 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1375 on: June 20, 2016, 07:17:02 AM »

I'm still a bit confused; were the Boston Pops at the Tanglewood show? The setlist.fm entry says so, and the similar setlist suggests it. But the review above of the Tanglewood show doesn't mention the presence of an orchestra, which would be a pretty significant omission for a show review.

The Boston Pops was not at Tanglewood, just the two Symphony Hall shows Fri and Sat.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1376 on: June 20, 2016, 07:19:34 AM »

By Ray Kelly

While Wilson was never the Beach Boys strongest singer, Jardine still has a remarkable set of pipes, as he demonstrated on tunes like "Wake the World." His son, Matt Jardine, handled lead vocals on one of the best songs of the night, "Don't Worry Baby."

I get why Brian's voice is jarring for reviewers these days, but Brian was "never the Beach Boys strongest singer?"  Has this guy listened to "Pet Sounds?" Nice review, but what a weird line.

It really doesn't make sense! Maybe it was a typo, lol. That one comment definitely sticks out in the article like a sore thumb.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1377 on: June 20, 2016, 07:25:52 AM »

I'm still a bit confused; were the Boston Pops at the Tanglewood show? The setlist.fm entry says so, and the similar setlist suggests it. But the review above of the Tanglewood show doesn't mention the presence of an orchestra, which would be a pretty significant omission for a show review.

The Boston Pops was not at Tanglewood, just the two Symphony Hall shows Fri and Sat.

Hopefully once they get back on the road at the end of the month, the setlist will get back to around 40 songs or so. It's a bit of a bummer to see a non-orchestra, non-festival show with no opening act only go to 34 songs as apparently was the case at Tanglewood.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1378 on: June 20, 2016, 07:30:55 AM »

Hopefully once they get back on the road at the end of the month, the setlist will get back to around 40 songs or so. It's a bit of a bummer to see a non-orchestra, non-festival show with no opening act only go to 34 songs as apparently was the case at Tanglewood.

I was happy to see Add Some Music on the list! And it also appeared Brian had something up his sleeve with River Deep Mountain High, I wonder if that will be done up in a more full version at some point on this tour.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1379 on: June 20, 2016, 07:48:07 AM »

I was happy to see Add Some Music on the list! And it also appeared Brian had something up his sleeve with River Deep Mountain High, I wonder if that will be done up in a more full version at some point on this tour.

Of course it seems that Brian's Rock&Roll album will never be finished (or even started?). But I wonder if he might be getting closer to plan it, especially now that he has Al and Blondie with him. He also played "Proud Mary" a couple of times on this tour. So maybe he's doing this stuff to try something out for a studio record.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: June 20, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »

I was happy to see Add Some Music on the list!
+1  Smiley

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: June 20, 2016, 10:19:21 AM »

Add Some Music:
+2
srv1303
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: June 20, 2016, 10:29:27 AM »

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere already but here goes...

I have soundcheck tickets to the Vegas show in 2 weeks. Are there any instructions for what time that starts and where to pick up the tickets?

Also anyone down to meet up at the Hard Rock before the show?

Thank you!!!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: June 20, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »

Is the "grand" white piano finally gone? Hope so. The black one in the photos looks smaller and will make it easier for audience members to see Brian.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: June 21, 2016, 09:43:27 PM »

Yeah, what's up with that? 

For whatever reason, Setlist FM does say that Tanglewood was an orchestra show, but many that was just a careless typo. 
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: June 21, 2016, 10:14:53 PM »

No orchestra at Tanglewood, I was there.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1386 on: June 22, 2016, 06:04:49 AM »

For whatever reason, Setlist FM does say that Tanglewood was an orchestra show, but many that was just a careless typo. 

The setlist.fm website allows one to copy and paste entire setlists, which is indeed often convenient when the setlist doesn't change much from show to show. There seems to be one or two people in particular on that site that feel the need to jump on and be the first person to update setlists, and it's no coincidence that they seem to be the one(s) who occasionally don't pay close enough attention to whatever they're copying and pasting to account for the changes between shows. This is especially true for little addendums and notations like the mention of a Brian show featuring an orchestra.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: June 23, 2016, 08:10:31 AM »

The setlist.fm website allows one to copy and paste entire setlists, which is indeed often convenient when the setlist doesn't change much from show to show. There seems to be one or two people in particular on that site that feel the need to jump on and be the first person to update setlists, and it's no coincidence that they seem to be the one(s) who occasionally don't pay close enough attention to whatever they're copying and pasting to account for the changes between shows. This is especially true for little addendums and notations like the mention of a Brian show featuring an orchestra.
Hey Jude - they "copy and paste" alright, make a minor modification, such as a cover song artist name substitution, and then attribute it to themselves.   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1388 on: June 23, 2016, 09:31:57 AM »

I should say that there's nothing wrong with copying and pasting on that setlist.fm website; it certainly makes things much more expedient than manually entering in identical data. But two things people have to look out for are the accuracy of the data they're copying, and to pay attention to any changes that need to be made to the pasted version. Typically, it's just a song or two swapping out, or sometimes no changes at all.

Then there are a whole bunch of weird issues of semantics on that website; like titling the first set in Brian's show a "Greatest Hits" set, which I think is wrong (just call it "first set"), and the convention of tying song entries to a sort of "master song" listing (which makes sense in terms of sorting the data, but it still bugs me to see "Then He Kissed Me" listed on Brian and BB setlists; how many of the lyrics need to be changed before the new song title is appropriate?).

As others have mentioned, the bigger problem on the setlist.fm website is the *old* setlists that people post. Sometimes they're using boot recordings with incorrect venues and/or dates, sometimes they make assumptions about the shows (e.g. Brian shows mentioning Al being in attendance when he wasn't). I've seen solo Beach Boys shows listed as "Beach Boys" shows, "ELO Part II" shows listed as ELO, and so on. I've had to correct Ringo Starr setlists from shows I attended, etc.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:32:42 AM by HeyJude » Logged

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1389 on: June 23, 2016, 01:33:38 PM »

I was fortunate enough to receive 2 VIP tickets for the Tanglewood show for my High School Graduation gift. My girlfriend came up from upper NY to go see it with me. The soundcheck rehearsal was truly amazing to watch. First, the group rehearsed the "River Deep Mountain High" segment performed three times throughout the concert. It was great to see Brian directing everyone on what to do, nice to see he's still in charge of the music. Then they played through "You're So Good to Me" twice before Blondie came in and they worked on "Funky Pretty". They didn't perform FP during the concert, so it was still cool that I was able to hear them perform my favorite Holland song live. After that came the Meet & Greet section. I wasn't the biggest fan of how systematic the whole thing was: You give the guy your stuff, they hand it over to Brian & Co to sign, and then you stand behind them and get your picture taken. It didn't allow for the opportunity to say that much to any of them. While standing behind Brian, I said hello, but I don't think he heard me. Must've spoken in the bad ear! I'm still kicking myself for deciding not to bring my Smile Sessions record to have signed, but it's still nice to have the signed poster and music sheet. After that came a break before the main concert began. My girlfriend and I had third row seats, that was truly amazing! Reviews of the concert have said that the first performance of "Heroes and Villains" was plagued by sound system problems, but because we were seated so close to the stage, I couldn't notice any of that. After the first set, there was a 15 minute break before the performance of Pet Sounds began. Definitely one of the big highlights of the concert, of course! Brian seemed to be a little out of it that day, he stopped singing half-way through the ending of "God Only Knows", and seemed to have forgotten some lyrics to the beginning of "Here Today". Aside from those minor flubs, it was such an a amazing performance, it was great to see everyone give Brian standing ovations and dance in the aisles. Although it was unfortunate that the Boston Symphony didn't show up, the overall quality of the show was enough to brush that aside. For the final performance of "Love and Mercy", Brian changed one of the lines to "A lot of people getting shot, and it really scares me". A somber reference to the recent tragedy in Orlando. After the show, Al was sticking around signing autographs and talking to a few people, I was able to walk up and shake his hand. I think he was a little preoccupied with what someone else was saying to him, but nevertheless, that was a big highlight for me. Overall, a fantastic day, perhaps one of the greatest weekends of my life so far!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: June 23, 2016, 02:06:14 PM »

For the final performance of "Love and Mercy", Brian changed one of the lines to "A lot of people getting shot, and it really scares me". A somber reference to the recent tragedy in Orlando.

Woah, that must have been surprising! Thanks for the review.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: June 23, 2016, 05:45:42 PM »

I was fortunate enough to receive 2 VIP tickets for the Tanglewood show for my High School Graduation gift. My girlfriend came up from upper NY to go see it with me. The soundcheck rehearsal was truly amazing to watch. First, the group rehearsed the "River Deep Mountain High" segment performed three times throughout the concert. It was great to see Brian directing everyone on what to do, nice to see he's still in charge of the music. Then they played through "You're So Good to Me" twice before Blondie came in and they worked on "Funky Pretty". They didn't perform FP during the concert, so it was still cool that I was able to hear them perform my favorite Holland song live. After that came the Meet & Greet section. I wasn't the biggest fan of how systematic the whole thing was: You give the guy your stuff, they hand it over to Brian & Co to sign, and then you stand behind them and get your picture taken. It didn't allow for the opportunity to say that much to any of them. While standing behind Brian, I said hello, but I don't think he heard me. Must've spoken in the bad ear! I'm still kicking myself for deciding not to bring my Smile Sessions record to have signed, but it's still nice to have the signed poster and music sheet. After that came a break before the main concert began. My girlfriend and I had third row seats, that was truly amazing! Reviews of the concert have said that the first performance of "Heroes and Villains" was plagued by sound system problems, but because we were seated so close to the stage, I couldn't notice any of that. After the first set, there was a 15 minute break before the performance of Pet Sounds began. Definitely one of the big highlights of the concert, of course! Brian seemed to be a little out of it that day, he stopped singing half-way through the ending of "God Only Knows", and seemed to have forgotten some lyrics to the beginning of "Here Today". Aside from those minor flubs, it was such an a amazing performance, it was great to see everyone give Brian standing ovations and dance in the aisles. Although it was unfortunate that the Boston Symphony didn't show up, the overall quality of the show was enough to brush that aside. For the final performance of "Love and Mercy", Brian changed one of the lines to "A lot of people getting shot, and it really scares me". A somber reference to the recent tragedy in Orlando. After the show, Al was sticking around signing autographs and talking to a few people, I was able to walk up and shake his hand. I think he was a little preoccupied with what someone else was saying to him, but nevertheless, that was a big highlight for me. Overall, a fantastic day, perhaps one of the greatest weekends of my life so far!

What a great HS graduation gift.  Glad you enjoyed the sound check and the show.  I understand your feelings re: the M&G, but have no idea how it could be handled better to be fair to everyone.  If you have some good ideas, I'll bet Brian's people would enjoy hearing them. 
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1392 on: June 23, 2016, 06:06:50 PM »

What a great HS graduation gift.  Glad you enjoyed the sound check and the show.  I understand your feelings re: the M&G, but have no idea how it could be handled better to be fair to everyone.  If you have some good ideas, I'll bet Brian's people would enjoy hearing them. 

Oh I totally understand the need for the system, everything had to be within a certain time frame, everyone needed time to get ready, etc. Hell, that was probably the best part of the day! Even though I would've preferred the opportunity to walk up and personally give my stuff to Brian & Co, I still appreciate and thank the staff for the huge amount of effort that went into the entire day. I'm planning on majoring in music production in college, and I'd just like to thank Brian a whole lot for inspiring me to make that decision!

I think I forgot to mention that I got third row seats for the concert, that was so cool!

It was actually kinda funny. While waiting on line for the M&G, the big green backdrop began to fall because of the wind or whatever. The backdrop hit Blondie on the back of the head, and while everyone was panicking and freaking out, he kinda just looked around in confusion like nothing had even happened!  LOL Thankfully that was the worst thing that happened that day!

My girlfriend and I with the big three:

My new favorite picture of Al:

[/URL]

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: June 24, 2016, 06:08:22 PM »

Theme buffett to go with St Louis show.  Grin

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/musicblog/2016/06/24/family-arena-to-serve-up-hilarious-buffet-of-beach-boy-puns-for-brian-wilsons-pet-sounds-tour
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: June 29, 2016, 03:48:32 PM »

Just saw this on Brian's Facebook page.  Would love to have a copy of this to hang on my wall!

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: June 29, 2016, 07:20:37 PM »

Wow- very cool...wish they did more like this.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1396 on: June 30, 2016, 11:49:15 AM »

It would definitely be cool to see more posters for individual gigs, or even something for specific legs of the tour, or even just something that lists tour dates/cities/venues, etc.

The 2013 and 2016 tours just have a rather generic poster, while 2015 had none at all. Nothing like the cool Mark London posters for the 06/07 PS tours, or whomever did the 2007 "Endless Summer" inspired posters. Those were nice, hand-pulled style prints.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1397 on: July 01, 2016, 03:10:04 PM »

Looks like the San Diego County Fair gig had a shortened setlist. No "Barbara Ann!"

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2016/del-mar-fairgrounds-del-mar-ca-73ff9a79.html

thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 02, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »

Has anyone found any clips of footage of "river deep, mountain high"?
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 02, 2016, 10:56:04 PM »

Looks like 'California Saga: California' has been added to the last couple of shows. That's a great one...  I realize that the setlist for the Osaka show that I saw was better than most, but it still would have been awesome to hear Al sing that! 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx