gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:40:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472109 times)
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: June 16, 2016, 06:43:20 AM »

I was a the Portland show last night (2nd row). Brian was in very good spirits and very engaged. I've seen him many times and you can pretty much tell within 20 seconds or so after he hits the stage whether he'll be on that night, and he was. His voice did crack a few times and in my opinion, is getting a bit weaker, which is understandable, the man will be 74 in a few days. His voice isn't going to get stronger at this point. Al was still fighting the last affects of his cold I believe, but he got stronger as the night went on. During Cottonfields he mentioned that it went to #1 all over the world except for in the States. They started the song and Al realized he had the wrong guitar (acoustic) and yelled "wait, stop! I have the wrong guitar!". The band kept going though and he said "ok, oh well", and proceeded on. Funky Pretty was outstanding, and Pet Sounds was fantastic from start to finish.  They also did YSGTM. Brian dedicated L&M to the people of Orlando.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:44:12 AM by J.G. Dev » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: June 16, 2016, 07:52:03 AM »

Anyone here go to last night's show? I'm curious if they've finally been able to get back to their standard-length setlist.

Yep! I was there and can report back when I get home. Yes, it was a full setlist (more than 40 songs I think). Show was good - Brian's voice wasn't as good as last time I saw them (2015) and he needed help walking (he complained that his back was in pain). Al has a cold and his voice was raspy, but they did do Help me, Rhonda. Other interesting choices: Funky Pretty, Do it Again.  
I was really hoping for Funky Pretty at the Brooklyn show... not to be. Glad that you got it!

The setlist on Setlist FM says 40 songs...  fairly standard, but 'You're So Good To Me' made it for the first time in the tour (I think).  There was also both 'Wake The World' and 'Cottonfields,' indicating that Al must be feeling a bit better!

Setlist is wrong!  On many fronts.  Someone has just cut and pasted it.  At the June 14 Vermont show they did NOT do Girl Don't Tell Me, Monster Mash, Cottonfields, or Love and Mercy.  Also, the order of the encore is wrong.  I wrote down the setlist but don't have the paper with me right now; I'll update later.  I'll also try to edit Setlist. 

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:12:32 AM by marcella27 » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: June 16, 2016, 08:13:18 AM »

In fact, at one point Brian actually said (I assume in response to someone in the front rows?) "No, we're not doing Cottonfields". 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1353 on: June 16, 2016, 08:18:51 AM »

Anyone here go to last night's show? I'm curious if they've finally been able to get back to their standard-length setlist.

Yep! I was there and can report back when I get home. Yes, it was a full setlist (more than 40 songs I think). Show was good - Brian's voice wasn't as good as last time I saw them (2015) and he needed help walking (he complained that his back was in pain). Al has a cold and his voice was raspy, but they did do Help me, Rhonda. Other interesting choices: Funky Pretty, Do it Again.  
I was really hoping for Funky Pretty at the Brooklyn show... not to be. Glad that you got it!

The setlist on Setlist FM says 40 songs...  fairly standard, but 'You're So Good To Me' made it for the first time in the tour (I think).  There was also both 'Wake The World' and 'Cottonfields,' indicating that Al must be feeling a bit better!

Setlist is wrong!  On many fronts.  Someone has just cut and pasted it.  At the June 14 Vermont show they did NOT do Girl Don't Tell Me, Monster Mash, Cottonfields, or Love and Mercy.  Also, the order of the encore is wrong.  I wrote down the setlist but don't have the paper with me right now; I'll update later.  I'll also try to edit Setlist. 

Thanks for fixing that. I don't know for sure, but I think the user on that setlist.fm website is the same user that often jumps the gun on setlists and details and whatnot.

I'm not one to throw stones since I spent plenty of time on the internet, but that site seems to have a few people who seem to get off on being the first to post a show listing or setlist, even at the expense of accuracy, and seem to be able to have all the free time in the world to doodle around on that site. Maybe it's the same people who rush to update someone's death on their Wikipedia page.  3D

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: June 16, 2016, 10:39:22 AM »

Very glad to hear Al is doing better!
That was the other thing that was a bit off about the Brooklyn show. Missed Al's leads and (I imagine) the extra richness his voice at its peak adds to the harmonies.

J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: June 16, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »

Portland show review
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/06/16/concert-review-surf-sounds-old-favorites-and-love-mercy-from-brian-wilson/

The sounds of summer filled Merrill Auditorium on Wednesday night as Brian Wilson appeared for a long-sold-out concert.

Backed by a solid 10-piece band, including fellow original Beach Boys member Al Jardine, the legendary singer-songwriter packed two and a half hours with hits from the band’s golden era and beyond.

At the center of it all was a 50th anniversary tribute to the highly respected album “Pet Sounds,” an innovative set of songs built around feelings of love, longing and regret, which was performed in its entirety.

As chronicled in the recent biopic “Love & Mercy,” Wilson drew upon an array of sources and methods in creating “Pet Sounds.” He and his band brought all of that to the Merrill stage. Along with the expected reverb-heavy guitars, there were multiple brass and woodwind instruments, vibes, keyboards, and various large and small percussion instruments employed. On top of that, were the famous vocal harmonies and choral arrangements, with singing parts for as many as seven band members.

The 73 year-old Wilson, who was assisted in getting on and off stage, sat at the piano and sang well in the middle range of his distinctive voice. His signature falsetto parts were ably handled by Jardine’s son, Matthew. Their shared vocals worked to particularly good advantage on the dreamy and wistful “Caroline, No.”

“God Only Knows” was another standout from the “Pet Sounds” portion of the evening. Building on harmonies and counterpoint to become a sort of hymn, the song followed up on the romantic sentiments expressed earlier in “Wouldn’t It Be Nice.” “Sloop John B” featured a solid vocal from the elder Jardine.

Much of the rest of the program was given over to a still-impressive string of Beach Boys hits, many of which provided the soundtrack for a youth culture built on hot rods, cool girls and hanging out at the beach.

“California Girls” was the first of many songs to earn a standing ovation, while “I Get Around” got the crowd moving as multi-colored beams of light shown down from above. “Shut Down” featured some nice surf guitar and the “Little Deuce Coupe” still roared. Wilson noted that he had written “Surfer Girl” as a 19-year-old while driving his car.

“In My Room” confirmed the melancholy strain that runs through some of Wilson’s best work, while the leader’s well-documented, child-like eccentricities came to the fore as he twice led the audience in sing-alongs of “Row, Row, Row Your Boat.”

Singer/guitarist Blondie Chaplin, a Beach Boys member in the 1970s, took the lead for a short set capped by a full-bodied take of “Sail On, Sailor.”

“Good Vibrations,” complete with the famous Theremin sound, led off a sturdy collection of encore tunes that included “Help Me, Rhonda” and “Surfin’ USA.”

Wilson chose to finish the evening with the title piece from “Love & Mercy,” which he dedicated to “all the people of Orlando.”

Steve Feeney is a freelance writer who lives in Portland.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: June 16, 2016, 04:57:10 PM »

Portland show review
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/06/16/concert-review-surf-sounds-old-favorites-and-love-mercy-from-brian-wilson/

The sounds of summer filled Merrill Auditorium on Wednesday night as Brian Wilson appeared for a long-sold-out concert.

Backed by a solid 10-piece band, including fellow original Beach Boys member Al Jardine, the legendary singer-songwriter packed two and a half hours with hits from the band’s golden era and beyond.

At the center of it all was a 50th anniversary tribute to the highly respected album “Pet Sounds,” an innovative set of songs built around feelings of love, longing and regret, which was performed in its entirety.

As chronicled in the recent biopic “Love & Mercy,” Wilson drew upon an array of sources and methods in creating “Pet Sounds.” He and his band brought all of that to the Merrill stage. Along with the expected reverb-heavy guitars, there were multiple brass and woodwind instruments, vibes, keyboards, and various large and small percussion instruments employed. On top of that, were the famous vocal harmonies and choral arrangements, with singing parts for as many as seven band members.

The 73 year-old Wilson, who was assisted in getting on and off stage, sat at the piano and sang well in the middle range of his distinctive voice. His signature falsetto parts were ably handled by Jardine’s son, Matthew. Their shared vocals worked to particularly good advantage on the dreamy and wistful “Caroline, No.”

“God Only Knows” was another standout from the “Pet Sounds” portion of the evening. Building on harmonies and counterpoint to become a sort of hymn, the song followed up on the romantic sentiments expressed earlier in “Wouldn’t It Be Nice.” “Sloop John B” featured a solid vocal from the elder Jardine.

Much of the rest of the program was given over to a still-impressive string of Beach Boys hits, many of which provided the soundtrack for a youth culture built on hot rods, cool girls and hanging out at the beach.

“California Girls” was the first of many songs to earn a standing ovation, while “I Get Around” got the crowd moving as multi-colored beams of light shown down from above. “Shut Down” featured some nice surf guitar and the “Little Deuce Coupe” still roared. Wilson noted that he had written “Surfer Girl” as a 19-year-old while driving his car.

“In My Room” confirmed the melancholy strain that runs through some of Wilson’s best work, while the leader’s well-documented, child-like eccentricities came to the fore as he twice led the audience in sing-alongs of “Row, Row, Row Your Boat.”

Singer/guitarist Blondie Chaplin, a Beach Boys member in the 1970s, took the lead for a short set capped by a full-bodied take of “Sail On, Sailor.”

“Good Vibrations,” complete with the famous Theremin sound, led off a sturdy collection of encore tunes that included “Help Me, Rhonda” and “Surfin’ USA.”

Wilson chose to finish the evening with the title piece from “Love & Mercy,” which he dedicated to “all the people of Orlando.”

Steve Feeney is a freelance writer who lives in Portland.

Very nice - thanks!
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: June 17, 2016, 04:22:34 PM »

Two lawn seat some to Tanglewood still available, make me an offer!
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 17, 2016, 06:04:41 PM »

Intermission at the Boston Pops show they cut a good amount of songs for this show. All the car songs gone except I Get Around, no Funky Pretty  Cry   And they moved the faster songs dance dance and get around to the end of the set before Blondie's spot. Al sounded great on Wake the World so I think he's better. No kissed her, cotton or honkin so that was cut as well. Brian in pretty good voice, sounded great with Orchestea. Brian made funny comment about how he wrote dance dance dance for Mike but since Mike's on his own tour as the Beach Boys he'll sing it. Then he said don't ask why it's really complicated all you need to know is I'm Brian Wilson and he's the Beach Boys. Overall good first half. Sorry for the scattered comments will try for more complete thoughts later after the show.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: June 17, 2016, 07:42:24 PM »

Brian made funny comment about how he wrote dance dance dance for Mike but since Mike's on his own tour as the Beach Boys he'll sing it. Then he said don't ask why it's really complicated all you need to know is I'm Brian Wilson and he's the Beach Boys.

Hahaha!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1360 on: June 17, 2016, 07:49:09 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: June 17, 2016, 08:15:36 PM »

Truly was a hilarious moment. He mentioned Mike again during the Pet Sounds part of the show saying how That's Not Me Was originally sung by Mike and nobody can sing it as great as him but he was going to try and hoped everyone liked it. Forget to mention when he made the first Mike comment some people booed Mike  LOL. Anyway symphony orchestra was great on Pet Sounds they then did Vibes with the orchestra and left coming back for encore band only. Al sang second half of Funx3 which was nice. Overall amazing show can't wait for night 2 tomorrow! Hopefully they change the setlist a bit tomorrow but I doubt it's very likely.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: June 17, 2016, 08:25:17 PM »

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:59:35 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1363 on: June 18, 2016, 10:28:17 AM »

Truly was a hilarious moment. He mentioned Mike again during the Pet Sounds part of the show saying how That's Not Me Was originally sung by Mike and nobody can sing it as great as him

And I'm inclined to agree with Brian. The original recording has a very strong performance by Mike and as someone mentioned in the Mike&Bruce thread, he certainly would still sound great doing it nowadays in concert.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: June 19, 2016, 03:46:15 AM »

The setlist on Setlist FM says 40 songs...  fairly standard, but 'You're So Good To Me' made it for the first time in the tour (I think).  There was also both 'Wake The World' and 'Cottonfields,' indicating that Al must be feeling a bit better!

You are correct, I believe. "You're So Good To Me" was done sporadically in 2015, though not very often. They did it in San Francisco in September. That's one I actually wish they'd give to Al to sing; he sounded good singing that one with his "Family & Friends" band back in 1999/2000. I used to think it was probably outside his vocal range, but then all of a sudden in 2012 he started doing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" again and sounding shockingly good, so I think he could do it.

Also glad to see the setlist back to normal length, and that Al's stuff is being added back into the setlist.

I'm curious now if "Monster Mash" will survive through the entire tour!

I saw him sing WIBN twice in 2012, and yeah, he sounded awesome.  I think it's his song, and I'm still kinda surprised that they are having Matt do it.  Not that Matt isn't awesome, but Al really has the intonation down--he sounds more like the old Brian than anyone on that particular song. 
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: June 19, 2016, 05:45:54 AM »

"Then he said don't ask why it's really complicated all you need to know is I'm Brian Wilson and he's the Beach Boys."

Pure gold, on so many levels.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 19, 2016, 07:25:26 AM »

Same set last night with Symphony minus dance dance dance and do it again. Another great Brian quote about Mike before that's not me he mentioned Mike tours as the beach boys and he wanted to let everyone know that so nobody thought they were the only act in town. He followed that up by saying we (referring to he and his band) were not that good anyway and he didn't sing that's not me originally but he was gonna try his best anyway and hoped we liked it. The we're not that good comment got a "we are that good Brian much better in fact" or something along those lines from Al which was funny. The symphony also sounded much better and fused into the band then night one especially on the pet sounds tracks.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1367 on: June 19, 2016, 10:01:35 AM »

Review of Brian's Friday June 17th Pet Sounds show with the Boston Pops, from the Boston Globe:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2016/06/18/brian-wilson-produces-stirring-sounds-with-boston-pops/Cf9Cxb6CyRBd7oj3tl6BaK/story.html

Brian Wilson produces stirring ‘Sounds’ with Boston Pops
By Steve Smith Globe Staff  June 18, 2016

When you enter a Brian Wilson concert in 2016, you’d be well advised to leave his baggage at the door. The Beach Boys architect’s saga of youthful incandescence, precipitous decline, and unlikely recovery is amply documented, not least in the recent biopic “Love & Mercy.” That Wilson, who turns 74 Monday, is performing at all, let alone engaging in lengthy tours, is astonishing.

His current venture — in which he’s playing the milestone 1966 album “Pet Sounds” complete for the last time — has split opinion. “The saddest gig ever,” declared the banner over a 2-star Telegraph review of his May 15 show in Bristol, England. “A spectacularly moving evening,” the headline stated over a 5-star Guardian review of his May 24 show in Manchester.

Any sadness in the air when Wilson and his band joined the Boston Pops Friday night for the first of two long sold-out Symphony Hall shows — tickets remain available for a Tanglewood matinee on Sunday — was overshadowed by palpable elation among audience members, visibly moved by some of the greatest pop music ever crafted, and grateful to be in its creator’s presence.

After Joyce Linehan, Mayor Martin J. Walsh’s chief of policy, read a proclamation designating June 17, 2016, “Pet Sounds Day” in Boston, Wilson took the stage with a phalanx of guitarists, keyboardists, and utility players. Included were fellow Beach Boy Al Jardine, 73, and his son Matt Jardine, who handled soaring falsetto vocals flawlessly.

The show opened with classics in swift succession: “Heroes and Villains,” “California Girls,” “In My Room,” “Surfer Girl,” “Don’t Worry, Baby,” and more, all the old bells and whistles, sumptuous harmonies, and eerie Theremin wails accounted for. Joined by singer-guitarist Blondie Chaplin, a Beach Boy briefly in the early ’70s, Wilson drifted into the rougher tides of “Wild Honey” and “Sail On, Sailor.”

Absent gaze notwithstanding, Wilson was engaged and animated, singing with rough vigor and playing piano ably. He rambled gregariously; twice he led the audience in “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” singalongs. In essence and substance, he was fully present.

A well-rehearsed “Pet Sounds” followed a short break, trenchant in its evocations of love and discord. Was the buoyant hope of “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” ever more poignant, the chaste devotion of “God Only Knows” more affecting, the melancholy resignation of “I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times” more moving? Arguably, no.

Throughout, the orchestra’s contributions mostly fell prey to a muddy mix. You could see the players working diligently under the conductor Lucas Richman’s attentive leadership. Their exertions produced a roseate glow, seeping through thin cracks in dense arrangements, and little more.

Perhaps this was to be expected; amplified performances rarely take full flight in halls designed to showcase acoustic music. Wilson’s remarks indicated satisfaction with what he was hearing. But when the band returned, sans orchestra, for another string of hits in the encore — from “All Summer Long” to a stirring “Love and Mercy,” dedicated by Wilson to the people of Orlando — the music was as colorful and detailed as anything that preceded it, and noticeably clearer.

BRIAN WILSON WITH THE BOSTON POPS: ‘Pet Sounds’

At Symphony Hall, June 17 (repeats June 19 at Tanglewood)

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1368 on: June 19, 2016, 10:12:25 AM »

Some photos of Friday's concert from Arthur Pollock and posted by The Boston Herald:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: June 19, 2016, 11:31:57 AM »

Beautiful photos. Thank you.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1370 on: June 19, 2016, 04:47:44 PM »

Here is a published review (already) of Brian's show at Tanglewood from this afternoon (June 19th), complete with setlist and a photo, courtesy of MassLive.com

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/06/review_brian_wilson_with_al_ja.html

By Ray Kelly | rkelly@repub.com
Follow on Twitter
on June 19, 2016 at 6:23 PM, updated June 19, 2016 at 6:33 PM

LENOX – Fifty years after the release of the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds," songwriter Brian Wilson has taken to the road to celebrate the landmark album by playing it in its entirety for what he says will be the last time.

Accompanied by Beach Boys co-founder Al Jardine and the band's former guitarist Blondie Chaplin, Wilson and his amazing nine-piece backup band not only performed the 13-track album at Tanglewood on Sunday afternoon – but tossed in nearly 20 other fabulous songs for good measure.

"Pet Sounds" was the brainchild of Wilson, who produced and arranged the disc and wrote most of its songs. Considered by many critics to be the Beach Boys' finest achievement, "Pet Sounds," which was released in May 1966, went beyond the pop rock sound of the era and incorporated elements of jazz, classical and avant garde music.

But before tackling "Pet Sounds" at Tanglewood, Wilson began the show with more than a dozen other songs from his impressive catalog, beginning with 1967's "Heroes and Villains," which was hampered by sound problems.

With a better mix in place, the crowd-pleasing "California Girls" brought many on the lawn to their feet.

Other hits followed ranging from the plaintive "In My Room" to the joyous "I Get Around."

Through it all, the 73-yeatr-old Wilson, who has overcome drug abuse and battled mental illness, was animated and reveling in the music.

While Wilson was never the Beach Boys strongest singer, Jardine still has a remarkable set of pipes, as he demonstrated on tunes like "Wake the World." His son, Matt Jardine, handled lead vocals on one of the best songs of the night, "Don't Worry Baby."

Wilson launched into the "Pet Sounds" portion of the show with the stirring "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and reintroduced the crowd to such as album tracks as "God Only Knows" and "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" before performing the album closer "Caroline, No."

Following the performance of the "Pet Sounds" album, Wilson and company returned for a seven-song encore beginning the No. 1 hit "Good Vibrations," whose recording began during the "Pet Sounds" session, though it was released as a standalone single in October 1966.

Wilson closed the show with "Love and Mercy," a track from hsi first solo album and title of a recent biopic.

SETLIST 6.19.2016

Heroes and Villains
California Girls
Dance, Dance, Dance
You're So Good to Me
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby
Wake the World
Add Some Music to Your Day
One Kind of Love
I Get Around
Wild Honey
Sail On, Sailor

Pet Sounds:
Wouldn't It Be Nice
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
I'm Waiting for the Day
Let's Go Away for Awhile
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
I Know There's an Answer
Here Today
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No

Encore:
Good Vibrations
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' U.S.A.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Love and Mercy

Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: June 19, 2016, 05:50:31 PM »

Brian also did three little snippets of River Deep, Mountain High throughout the show. Sung by Mertens, Probyn, and little bit of Blondie. Probably about 30 seconds each time. Someone(Al?) asked what it was and Brian said a bit about Phil Spector.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: June 19, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »

Wonderful pics, thanks for posting

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1373 on: June 20, 2016, 07:06:54 AM »

By Ray Kelly

While Wilson was never the Beach Boys strongest singer, Jardine still has a remarkable set of pipes, as he demonstrated on tunes like "Wake the World." His son, Matt Jardine, handled lead vocals on one of the best songs of the night, "Don't Worry Baby."

I get why Brian's voice is jarring for reviewers these days, but Brian was "never the Beach Boys strongest singer?"  Has this guy listened to "Pet Sounds?" Nice review, but what a weird line.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1374 on: June 20, 2016, 07:09:31 AM »

I'm still a bit confused; were the Boston Pops at the Tanglewood show? The setlist.fm entry says so, and the similar setlist suggests it. But the review above of the Tanglewood show doesn't mention the presence of an orchestra, which would be a pretty significant omission for a show review.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx