gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:04:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 474496 times)
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 08, 2016, 12:32:29 PM »

Hope none of the band was nearby

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/06/08/shooting-in-tel-aviv-leaves-9-injured-gunman-arrested.html?intcmp=hpbt4
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 08, 2016, 04:28:53 PM »

Odd that Brian's social media pages haven't commented.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1327 on: June 08, 2016, 04:29:53 PM »

Probyn did on facebook.  They were nowhere near

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 08, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »

Brian is scheduled to play from 8:15 to 10:00.  How many songs do you think they could fit into that time frame?

GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 08, 2016, 09:43:38 PM »

Brian is scheduled to play from 8:15 to 10:00.  How many songs do you think they could fit into that time frame?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2016/raanana-park-amphitheater-tel-aviv-israel-3bfe2c78.html

First set only 12 songs, then Pet Sounds, lastly full encore except Love & Mercy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1330 on: June 09, 2016, 06:15:22 AM »

If there's no intermission, they could cram more songs in, but I'd guess in that slot that they would be unlikely to do the full 40-ish song setlist.

Kind of surprised the Israel gig was truncated; that wasn't a festival gig or anything as far as I know. Hopefully once they get back to "regular" theater/amphitheater gigs, they'll be back to the normal show length.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1331 on: June 09, 2016, 07:09:51 AM »

Review of the Israel show (with a pic or two):

http://www.timesofisrael.com/on-dark-night-beach-boy-brian-wilson-brings-sunny-vibes-to-israel/

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1332 on: June 09, 2016, 09:41:09 AM »

A couple of impressions of the Tel Aviv show (including a.o. a complete You Still Believe In Me). Thanks to the original uploader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLdPf6CRiPk
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:46:12 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 11, 2016, 08:59:03 AM »

did anyone hear/read an interview with BW, somewhere in his current tour, saying he would like to go back on the road with the BB again because 2012 was such a blast?

thanks
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 12, 2016, 02:36:00 AM »

"You have another solo Hollywood Bowl coming up in July on this tour. What’s the biggest difference between performing these songs with your solo band versus with the Beach Boys, as you did at the Bowl back in 2012?"
"I don’t want to talk about that. But the Hollywood Bowl, I love that place. It’s a great place to play."

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/brian-wilson-pet-sounds-beach-boys-50th-anniversary-interview-2016
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: June 12, 2016, 07:36:17 PM »

Quick comments:  Of all the times I've seen Brian and the band, that was probably the roughest.  It wasn't really their fault.  It was an outdoor gig on a windy day so mics and instruments went out occasionally though it wasn't a huge issue.  Brian was in good voice for the most part though he did forget the lyrics to I Just Wasn't Made for These Times at one point and got frustrated, yelling "Wrong!" But the band kept playing and he recovered.  Al's voice was completely shot.  I think he may have had a cold and they avoided having him sing leads.  This was probably first Beach Boys related show I've seen when Al didn't sing Help Me Rhonda and Brian sang most of Sloop John B himself (and did a very good job).  This was probably the first time I've seen Brian in better voice than Al.  It was an abbreviated set, no deep cuts.  Blondie did Wild Honey and Sail On Sailor but did not sing on Surfer Girl as I've heard he's done lately.  Brian sang the bridge as usual.  There were no band introductions and no encore.  Billy Hinsche was there in place of Darian (where is Darian?) and did a pretty cool keyboard duel with Gary Griffin on Fun Fun Fun.  It was a bit of a mess but it was a lot of fun and the guys put their all into it despite the setbacks.  The audience, a mix of young and old was very enthusiastic and seeing my favorite album played in its entirety was a wonderful experience.  I was singing my heart out the entire time.

Setlist:
California Girls
I Get Around
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby
Wild Honey
Sail On Sailor
Pet Sounds album (with a little bit of Row Row Row Your Boat halfway through)
Good Vibrations
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun, Fun, Fun
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:56:42 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1336 on: June 13, 2016, 06:18:26 AM »

Billy Hinsche was there in place of Darian (where is Darian?) and did a pretty cool keyboard duel with Gary Griffin on Fun Fun Fun.  

As mentioned previously in the thread, Billy has been filling in for Darian, doing gigs starting on May 15 in the UK, and I believe his run ends with the June 19th show.

I don't know if Darian will be missing any other runs of shows on the tour.

As for the show review (I'm assuming it's a review of the Brooklyn show?), the setlist looks very similar to the previous gig at Primavera in Portugal. It appears for the "Festival" gigs, Brian is essentially just doing "Pet Sounds" and then a handful of additional songs.

I think it's a good idea in theory to book the festivals, it's good industry and "indie" cred. But certainly the full-length, indoor theater shows typically yield better overall results both for the band and audience.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1337 on: June 13, 2016, 06:21:48 AM »

This was probably first Beach Boys related show I've seen when Al didn't sing Help Me Rhonda and Brian sang most of Sloop John B himself (and did a very good job).  

I'm curious, did they drop "Rhonda", or did someone else (Brian or Matt?) sing it? The setlist.fm website setlist includes "Rhonda."

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 13, 2016, 06:24:02 AM »

This was probably first Beach Boys related show I've seen when Al didn't sing Help Me Rhonda and Brian sang most of Sloop John B himself (and did a very good job).  

I'm curious, did they drop "Rhonda", or did someone else (Brian or Matt?) sing it? The setlist.fm website setlist includes "Rhonda."

They did not do Help Me Rhonda.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1339 on: June 13, 2016, 06:36:11 AM »

Thanks for confirming. One of the drawbacks of that setlist website is that you can copy and paste other setlists and drop them into a new show date, so I think sometimes people take the previous show's setlist without making needed changes.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 13, 2016, 07:18:31 AM »

It makes sense if Al wasn't feeling well, I'm thinking.  I saw Steve Desper speaking on another thread about Mike L having a cold and how these things happen.  It's called a live performance.  These things happen.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 13, 2016, 07:26:01 AM »

Al was definitely under the weather, but in great spirits. From what I could see of the crowd, it was VERY young compared to recent NYC  gigs and very music centric. I'd say an average age of 30, maybe? When Brian would change his phrasing, or when he missed a line, the crowd was extremely loud -- like a mic'd voice singing along to PET SOUNDS. Very cool, and very unlike anything I've seen before -- singing along en masse to deep LP cuts.  He easily could've gotten away with FRIENDS or LOVE YOU with this audience. Nice to see some chicks and kids on guys' shoulders.

In all, a far "hipper" crowd than Jones Beach last year, or any of the C50 shows (granted Williamsburg is a musical/artistic hub). That said, they weren't at all snobs about the pre-'66 material.

It's a hot show, a LOT of buzz, and with the turnout, I think it's safe to say that for the next NYC appearance following the Beacon, it's time to bump it up to Radio City. If Jeff Lynne can book two nights at Radio City playing a third of the hits Brian does (and on the back of a stiff LP for Columbia), Brian -- with Al, (much more) Blondie, PS or SMILE, can absolutely snag those numbers. His stature -- the looming 75th birthday and his rep -- deserves it. Bonnie Raitt is a Beacon show. Bryan Adams is a Beacon show.

This is the real Beach Boys -- at the very least, book Carnegie for three nights.

Always great to see Billy next to Brian and GOTTA say -- this Matt Jardine is incredible. Watching him as he blends the note from Brian's last into his own falsetto -- this guy's major.
He's keeping something very real alive.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 13, 2016, 09:26:31 AM »

Al was definitely under the weather, but in great spirits. From what I could see of the crowd, it was VERY young compared to recent NYC  gigs and very music centric. I'd say an average age of 30, maybe? When Brian would change his phrasing, or when he missed a line, the crowd was extremely loud -- like a mic'd voice singing along to PET SOUNDS. Very cool, and very unlike anything I've seen before -- singing along en masse to deep LP cuts.  He easily could've gotten away with FRIENDS or LOVE YOU with this audience. Nice to see some chicks and kids on guys' shoulders.

In all, a far "hipper" crowd than Jones Beach last year, or any of the C50 shows (granted Williamsburg is a musical/artistic hub). That said, they weren't at all snobs about the pre-'66 material.

It's a hot show, a LOT of buzz, and with the turnout, I think it's safe to say that for the next NYC appearance following the Beacon, it's time to bump it up to Radio City. If Jeff Lynne can book two nights at Radio City playing a third of the hits Brian does (and on the back of a stiff LP for Columbia), Brian -- with Al, (much more) Blondie, PS or SMILE, can absolutely snag those numbers. His stature -- the looming 75th birthday and his rep -- deserves it. Bonnie Raitt is a Beacon show. Bryan Adams is a Beacon show.

This is the real Beach Boys -- at the very least, book Carnegie for three nights.

Always great to see Billy next to Brian and GOTTA say -- this Matt Jardine is incredible. Watching him as he blends the note from Brian's last into his own falsetto -- this guy's major.
He's keeping something very real alive.
I do love the Beacon shows but I agree with you, Radio City would be a great get for Brian.

The Brooklyn show was wild. Just as Howie said, it was a very young crowd of music geeks (I felt right at home!) that knew every word of EVERY song, which gave it a unique vibe. Huge cheers when Blondie was introduced, and likewise a cheer when Sail on Sailor was introduced.
One guy I saw in line was wearing a "Keep it clean with Al Jardine" t-shirt... anyone here perchance? Wink

I thought Brian started out pretty rough on California Girls, but found his voice as the show got going. The hits were fun and the Pet Sounds album was well-played and enjoyable. That's Not Me, never a particular favorite, was a surprise standout for me -- performed with some real bite to it. To me some of the lyrics have added resonance after the Landy years.

Funny Brian intro to You Still Believe In Me, from memory -- "This one's not so much a rock-and-roll song. It's about a guy who's been very uncool to his girl, but she still loves him anyway! HAHAHA." (crowd laughs)

I did wish there had been a few more deep cuts, but definitely a fun night and a unique experience.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:28:16 AM by MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 14, 2016, 08:04:16 PM »

Oh, thanks. . . . . that's sad. . . . . .

"You have another solo Hollywood Bowl coming up in July on this tour. What’s the biggest difference between performing these songs with your solo band versus with the Beach Boys, as you did at the Bowl back in 2012?"
"I don’t want to talk about that. But the Hollywood Bowl, I love that place. It’s a great place to play."

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/brian-wilson-pet-sounds-beach-boys-50th-anniversary-interview-2016
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1344 on: June 15, 2016, 08:11:44 AM »

Anyone here go to last night's show? I'm curious if they've finally been able to get back to their standard-length setlist.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 15, 2016, 09:55:53 AM »

Anyone here go to last night's show? I'm curious if they've finally been able to get back to their standard-length setlist.

Yep! I was there and can report back when I get home. Yes, it was a full setlist (more than 40 songs I think). Show was good - Brian's voice wasn't as good as last time I saw them (2015) and he needed help walking (he complained that his back was in pain). Al has a cold and his voice was raspy, but they did do Help me, Rhonda. Other interesting choices: Funky Pretty, Do it Again. 
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 15, 2016, 01:23:39 PM »

I have two extra lawn tickets to the Tanglewood show this Sunday. PM me if interested, $50 for both which is below face value.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 15, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »

Yep! I was there and can report back when I get home. Yes, it was a full setlist (more than 40 songs I think). Show was good - Brian's voice wasn't as good as last time I saw them (2015) and he needed help walking (he complained that his back was in pain). Al has a cold and his voice was raspy, but they did do Help me, Rhonda. Other interesting choices: Funky Pretty, Do it Again. 
I was really hoping for Funky Pretty at the Brooklyn show... not to be. Glad that you got it!

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 15, 2016, 11:12:14 PM »

I was really hoping for Funky Pretty at the Brooklyn show... not to be. Glad that you got it!

The setlist on Setlist FM says 40 songs...  fairly standard, but 'You're So Good To Me' made it for the first time in the tour (I think).  There was also both 'Wake The World' and 'Cottonfields,' indicating that Al must be feeling a bit better!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1349 on: June 16, 2016, 06:13:38 AM »

The setlist on Setlist FM says 40 songs...  fairly standard, but 'You're So Good To Me' made it for the first time in the tour (I think).  There was also both 'Wake The World' and 'Cottonfields,' indicating that Al must be feeling a bit better!

You are correct, I believe. "You're So Good To Me" was done sporadically in 2015, though not very often. They did it in San Francisco in September. That's one I actually wish they'd give to Al to sing; he sounded good singing that one with his "Family & Friends" band back in 1999/2000. I used to think it was probably outside his vocal range, but then all of a sudden in 2012 he started doing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" again and sounding shockingly good, so I think he could do it.

Also glad to see the setlist back to normal length, and that Al's stuff is being added back into the setlist.

I'm curious now if "Monster Mash" will survive through the entire tour!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx