gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:10:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472277 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: May 31, 2016, 11:48:35 AM »

Blondie texted me that Brian told him the idea for him to sing "Surfer Girl" came to him in the middle of the night.

That is awesome. I wonder if this was a throwback to Brian having Denny sing that SG bridge part (am I nuts, or didn't that happen a time or two back in the day?) I'd say Blondie's voice is the closest to a Denny type voice in the current band, so it would make sense.

Imo Blondie's voice always fit the Beach Boys' sound very well. Listen to his "ta-a-a-a-a-tions" on GV from In Concert. It has such a warm quality to it (for lack of a better description).

Dennis sang the bridge for example on one of those '66 Michigan show and in Japan '66.

Thanks, Rocker! I knew I hadn't imagined Denny singing it Smiley
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: May 31, 2016, 04:35:04 PM »

I'm dying to hear this Blondie middle-eight. Aside from the fact that this guy TRULY has pipes (and balls) so many people are buzzing over it because it's Brian delegating parts like he did when at his best --- letting it all breathe and grow. Not to mention, it's SO '70s -- the switching of a lead line between members. It's true to both Brian AND Carl. (A friend of mine who was there just said quote -- "I'd trade 45 impish Fosketts pretending to be blissed out while miming 'Good Vibes' in D.C. for just 4 Blondie 'Surfer Girl' bridges.") BOOM!!!! OUCH!!!!

Having actual Beach Boys onstage with Brian becoming even more a part of this music is what makes it WILSON.
Different vibes, different colors. It's VERY Wilson.

Man, I say give Blondie "That's Not Me."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: May 31, 2016, 04:55:11 PM »

I'm dying to hear this Blondie middle-eight. Aside from the fact that this guy TRULY has pipes (and balls) so many people are buzzing over it because it's Brian delegating parts like he did when at his best --- letting it all breathe and grow. Not to mention, it's SO '70s -- the switching of a lead line between members. It's true to both Brian AND Carl. (A friend of mine who was there just said quote -- "I'd trade 45 impish Fosketts pretending to be blissed out while miming 'Good Vibes' in D.C. for just 4 Blondie 'Surfer Girl' bridges.") BOOM!!!! OUCH!!!!

Having actual Beach Boys onstage with Brian becoming even more a part of this music is what makes it WILSON.

At the Glasgow gig I slipped down front with a few others for the encore. Looking across the stage front from the right hand side and clocking that front line - Billy Hinsche, Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, Blindie Chaplin… I got a taste of what it must have been like to be at an early 70s show… geez you could see the sweat rising!

“We live in divisive times.”
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: May 31, 2016, 05:10:24 PM »

That would be a most RAD idea.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: May 31, 2016, 08:14:54 PM »

I still say Blondie would do a killer "Here Today".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: June 01, 2016, 01:35:46 AM »

Or Mess of Help!

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1306 on: June 01, 2016, 06:23:15 AM »

Just the idea that Brian is waking up the middle of the night and coming up with the idea of Blondie singing a random bridge, and that Brian is randomly deciding "We'll just be doing "Monster Mash" in May, thank you very much" gets me really excited. Similarly, things like a random "I'm Broke" performance are intriguing as well.

I've long said any change-up and spontaneity in the live show is exciting, even if they're not picking my all-time favorite songs. I dig "Funky Pretty", but it was never like my number one all-time setlist wish. But I've been longing to hear them do it since they soundchecked it early on the 2015 tour, if only just to hear something new.

Still hoping they manage to wedge "Leaving this Town" into the setlist at some point (which, I probably like a little more than "Funky Pretty" honestly), and otherwise have Blondie do another number or two. Have him take a few lines on "Add Some Music." The idea of Blondie taking a few lead lines or a full lead on a PS track is intriguing. It actually sounds like something that might work. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1307 on: June 01, 2016, 06:30:48 AM »

Anyone have the Liverpool setlist?

Sounds like they soundchecked "Marcella" in Liverpool, which they haven't don't much on the last few tours. I think they only did "Marcella" three times last year.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 01, 2016, 06:50:22 AM »

Sounds like they soundchecked "Marcella" in Liverpool, which they haven't don't much on the last few tours. I think they only did "Marcella" three times last year.

Yeah they had tried "Marcella" at a London soundcheck too.

According to AH and BH on FB, in Liverpool "Marcella" replaced "Do It Again", "Then I Kissed Her" replaced "Honkin'", "Monster Mash" and one chorus of "Proud Mary" were played.  "Girl Don't Tell Me" was also played.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1309 on: June 01, 2016, 11:05:11 AM »

Just the idea that Brian is waking up the middle of the night and coming up with the idea of Blondie singing a random bridge, and that Brian is randomly deciding "We'll just be doing "Monster Mash" in May, thank you very much" gets me really excited. Similarly, things like a random "I'm Broke" performance are intriguing as well.

I've long said any change-up and spontaneity in the live show is exciting, even if they're not picking my all-time favorite songs. I dig "Funky Pretty", but it was never like my number one all-time setlist wish. But I've been longing to hear them do it since they soundchecked it early on the 2015 tour, if only just to hear something new.

Still hoping they manage to wedge "Leaving this Town" into the setlist at some point (which, I probably like a little more than "Funky Pretty" honestly), and otherwise have Blondie do another number or two. Have him take a few lines on "Add Some Music." The idea of Blondie taking a few lead lines or a full lead on a PS track is intriguing. It actually sounds like something that might work. 

Great, isn't it? It reminds me of 2012 when the Beach Boys tour got rolling and they started to put in unexpected song after song... Marcella, Add Some Music To Your Day, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times etc.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1310 on: June 01, 2016, 11:32:12 AM »

Great, isn't it? It reminds me of 2012 when the Beach Boys tour got rolling and they started to put in unexpected song after song... Marcella, Add Some Music To Your Day, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times etc.

It's also interesting to know which additions are somewhat off the cuff versus rehearsed at the beginning of a tour. For instance, "Marcella" was (as infamously depicted in the RS article) added after the tour started by Brian. Whereas, I believe "IJWMFTT" was rehearsed from the beginning, as Bruce teased something pre-tour that had "Spanish lyrics" or something to that effect.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 01, 2016, 09:17:09 PM »

Blondie on "Student Demonstration Time."  I honestly think it would be cool.....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1312 on: June 02, 2016, 07:05:17 AM »

I'm continually updating the setlists on the top post for those who want to catalog the changes over the course of the tour.

Including all the little snippets and whatnot, the setlist is up to as many as 42 songs per show now. Not sure if "Monster Mash" is really going to survive to the end of the tour, but please bring on more of the off-kilter song selections?

Still waiting for "Goin' On"!

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 02, 2016, 07:39:41 AM »

Yeah they had tried "Marcella" at a London soundcheck too.

According to AH and BH on FB, in Liverpool "Marcella" replaced "Do It Again", "Then I Kissed Her" replaced "Honkin'", "Monster Mash" and one chorus of "Proud Mary" were played.  "Girl Don't Tell Me" was also played.

Is Proud Mary being performed like the Paley Sessions version?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 02, 2016, 08:12:39 AM »

I'm continually updating the setlists on the top post for those who want to catalog the changes over the course of the tour.

Thanks, HJ. I haven't read all 50-something pages for comments (no stamina) but I see mainland Europe is still represented by just three dates, two of them in the Iberian Peninsula! I can't imagine it staying that way, at least I hope not.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
markb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 02, 2016, 09:30:22 AM »

Saw the guys in Nottingham last night. This was my fourth show of the U.K. tour and easily the one with the oldest audience. Think this meant that the response was extremely positive as opposed to the raucous reception the guys got in Cardiff and London. Brian did a great job on God only knows and sloop with al. Don't worry baby was a standout in all the shows I saw and I thought the band sounded excellent. My only moan was that Barbara Ann seems to be getting slower and slower! They need to listen to some of the shows from summer 1993 when it really rocked. I also was fortunate enough to be in the soundcheck - marcella, don't worry, sloop, couple of lines of monster mash, Brian in good spirits. Overall a great tour. A personal view is that this incarnation of the band is outstanding. Yes, Darian was missed but there is complete integrity in what the guys do and the crowds were massively appreciative. Fingers crossed that I get to see them do it again at some point soon but , if not, it is a great way to bow out.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 04, 2016, 03:42:09 AM »

I just wanted to say thanks to all of the British fans for your great reviews.  I was looking forward to this thread for the British leg of the tour, and you guys did not disappoint! 
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 05, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »

Final post on this I promise!

Hello Folks!

I have some Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin tickets that I have to sell (or trade) for the Las Vegas and Toronto Pet Sounds shows - face value.

I have two wonderful tickets to Brian Wilson (With Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin) on Friday July 1, 2016 in Las Vegas at The Joint in The Hard Rock that I can't use due to a maddening work conflict. I bought tickets to Massey Hall a few days later (July 4) in Toronto instead and now it seems I cannot use those either. Anyhow, I believe the Las Vegas show is now sold out. I am not a scalper and am just looking to recoup what I paid. The seats are great. They are in the Gold2 section Row KK (the two seats are together, of course) which is 11th row centre on the floor in the orchestra section. This is prime seating as if you are much closer you may not see Brian with his white piano obscuring his body and head. This has happened to me before so these seats are up close but not too close. Anyhow please contact me if you are interested. The 2 Toronto Massey Hall tickets are also very good seats (right balcony - which is best view for seeing Brian's face when he performs) RSB2 Row E.

If you have any interest or know someone who does please send them my way:

richp20@hotmail.com

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and these are hard tickets in my current possession, not sketchy e-tickets. Buyer pays shipping.

I am now planning on attending the Hollywood Bowl show and would be happy to do a trade if you have premium seats for that.

Also, has anyone ever used StubHub for SELLING tickets?  Just curious if you would recommend them or not.  Just wanna make sure that these tickets get used and I make back the cash I paid.  Thanks!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1318 on: June 06, 2016, 08:32:04 AM »

I've updated the setlists on the top post.

Not surprisingly for a "festival" gig, the June 4th Barcelona show was shortened quite a bit, and they appear to have pretty much just done the PS album (and opened the show with it), and then did what you could either call a *really long* encore, or a shortened second set.

It's also kind of hilarious that in a truncated 24-song setlist where only 11 songs were performed after PS, they *did* keep "Monster Mash" in!

Also interesting that it's one of few shows where "Barbara Ann" was dropped.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 06, 2016, 10:14:32 AM »

Few friends of mine we're at the Barcelona festival .. By all accounts the band we're on fire and Brian was a highlight for the weekend
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:41:24 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: June 06, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »

Few friends of mine we're at the Barcelona festival .. By all account then band we're on fire and Brian was a highlight for the weekend

Wonderful - waiting for reports from my friends who were there, as well.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1321 on: June 06, 2016, 07:01:23 PM »

Brian is playing the Mid-State Fair in Paso Robles, CA on July 29.
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/entertainment/mid-state-fair/article82167172.html
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:04:08 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 06, 2016, 07:12:03 PM »

I hope Brian plays a longer set when I see him on Sunday in Brooklyn.  Either way, I'm glad to hear the Pet Sounds album played live but I was looking forward to hearing some rarities too.

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 07, 2016, 10:16:24 PM »

I hope Brian plays a longer set when I see him on Sunday in Brooklyn.  Either way, I'm glad to hear the Pet Sounds album played live but I was looking forward to hearing some rarities too.

Based on the sets so far, for a full-length show, you can probably expect to get somewhere between 38 and 42 songs.  If 'Wake the World' 'Wild Honey' 'Funky Pretty' 'Our Prayer' and 'Add Some Music' qualify as rarities (to me they are at least deep cuts), then I think you can pretty much count on them being there.  I'm not a big fan of 'Monster Mash,' but if they play that, I think it definitely qualifies as a 'rarity'!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1324 on: June 08, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »

Based on the sets so far, for a full-length show, you can probably expect to get somewhere between 38 and 42 songs.  If 'Wake the World' 'Wild Honey' 'Funky Pretty' 'Our Prayer' and 'Add Some Music' qualify as rarities (to me they are at least deep cuts), then I think you can pretty much count on them being there.  I'm not a big fan of 'Monster Mash,' but if they play that, I think it definitely qualifies as a 'rarity'!

I think the curiosity/concern with the Brooklyn gig might be that it's another festival gig, and often (as in the case of Brian's Primavera gig in Spain recently, and past instances like the BB reunion tour at Bonnaroo) festival gigs feature shorter setlists. So for Primavera, Brian came out and did PS first and then did a short second set, for a total of about 24 songs instead of the usual 38 to 42. Not sure if the Brooklyn Northside Festival gig will be similar; perhaps it depends on how many artists are scheduled for each day.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx