gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:40:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472118 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: May 28, 2016, 08:27:15 AM »

I love that JK Rowling and Brian met.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1276 on: May 28, 2016, 09:23:28 AM »

Who's there tomorrow?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: May 28, 2016, 11:48:11 PM »

not THAT nice. yikes:

Unfortunately, the rest of the first set didn't quite hit those heights, the band still sounded great, but the songs were Wilson's lesser efforts, like In My Room, Surfer Girl and Don't Worry Baby. All decent in their own right, if only hinting at what Wilson was really capable of, but just not strong enough to be played one after the other for the guts of an hour.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: May 29, 2016, 01:54:27 AM »

not THAT nice. yikes:

Unfortunately, the rest of the first set didn't quite hit those heights, the band still sounded great, but the songs were Wilson's lesser efforts, like In My Room, Surfer Girl and Don't Worry Baby. All decent in their own right, if only hinting at what Wilson was really capable of, but just not strong enough to be played one after the other for the guts of an hour.

I didn't agree with that part.  Those three songs were actually some of the best performed on the night!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 01:55:45 AM by mikeddonn » Logged
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: May 29, 2016, 07:06:54 AM »

Not sure how anyone can slag off on any of those songs, particularly "Don't Worry Baby." Yikes.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: May 29, 2016, 11:35:30 AM »

Are the Boston Pops not playing at the Tanglewood show anymore? They're not in the event description now.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1281 on: May 29, 2016, 01:35:06 PM »

It's obviously all subjective, but I can't imagine a Brian fan who is into his poignant ballads not thinking "In My Room" is a classic.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1282 on: May 29, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »

Are the Boston Pops not playing at the Tanglewood show anymore? They're not in the event description now.

I thought the Pops had always only been listed for the two Boston shows, but I haven't closely followed those shows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1283 on: May 29, 2016, 02:13:23 PM »

I'm sorry if this is not totally on topic, but just in case you don't check out the Pro Shot Concert list, I just found this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iukjCxiiFw

Brian, Al and Blondie in Toronto, Nov. 22nd 2015

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: May 29, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »

I'm sorry if this is not totally on topic, but just in case you don't check out the Pro Shot Concert list, I just found this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iukjCxiiFw

Brian, Al and Blondie in Toronto, Nov. 22nd 2015

Many thanks.

Geez what a corporate bash! All suits and very little appreciation! blondie on stage almost throughout though, what's not to love?

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: May 29, 2016, 06:49:47 PM »

The show in Glasgow was incredible.

Lovely to hear "Wake the world" live, Al did such a great job. Pet sounds brought the house down and by the encore the place was rocking, the whole venue was a dance floor.

Performing "the monster mash" in May was a strange choice but the people loved it.

I loved Blondie's contribution, maybe the long solos weren't everybody's cup of tea but I loved it.

All in all, what a show.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: May 29, 2016, 07:22:43 PM »

According to Setlist FM, Blondie took the lead on Surfer Girl in Gateshead. If true, that's pretty interesting.  I'll be curious to see if he stayed on stage or went back until his mini-set came up. 

And yeah, it's pretty weird for a reviewer to slag off songs like 'Don't Worry Baby' and 'In My Room.' Regardless of whether one is a big fan of pre-65 BBs, those songs are pretty much stone-cold classics. 
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1287 on: May 30, 2016, 02:02:45 AM »

According to Setlist FM, Blondie took the lead on Surfer Girl in Gateshead. If true, that's pretty interesting.  I'll be curious to see if he stayed on stage or went back until his mini-set came up. 

And yeah, it's pretty weird for a reviewer to slag off songs like 'Don't Worry Baby' and 'In My Room.' Regardless of whether one is a big fan of pre-65 BBs, those songs are pretty much stone-cold classics. 

He sang the bridge.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: May 30, 2016, 02:30:39 AM »

Lovely to hear "Wake the world" live, Al did such a great job. Pet sounds brought the house down and by the encore the place was rocking, the whole venue was a dance floor.

Performing "the monster mash" in May was a strange choice but the people loved it.

I loved Blondie's contribution, maybe the long solos weren't everybody's cup of tea but I loved it.

All in all, what a show.

Funny having Paul von Mertens sing lead too… is this a resurfacing of that Brian humour that had Jack Reilly sing lead on Day in the Life…?

“We live in divisive times.”
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: May 30, 2016, 08:05:55 AM »

I like Blondie....but his voice does not fit the bridge of Surfer Girl at all. That's an odd choice. You've got Brian and Al right there who have sung it countless times.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1290 on: May 30, 2016, 12:32:56 PM »

Review of the Gateshead show last night:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/brian-wilson-presents-pet-sounds-at.html
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: May 30, 2016, 02:16:57 PM »

"Chaplin, who, after spending so long playing with the Rolling Stones  bizarrely sports their somewhat weathered appearance"  Smiley

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: May 30, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »

Blondie texted me that Brian told him the idea for him to sing "Surfer Girl" came to him in the middle of the night.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1293 on: May 30, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »

That's pretty awesome!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: May 30, 2016, 04:48:26 PM »

Blondie texted me that Brian told him the idea for him to sing "Surfer Girl" came to him in the middle of the night.

That is awesome. I wonder if this was a throwback to Brian having Denny sing that SG bridge part (am I nuts, or didn't that happen a time or two back in the day?) I'd say Blondie's voice is the closest to a Denny type voice in the current band, so it would make sense.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: May 30, 2016, 05:07:59 PM »

That's really cool

I'm surprised Brian texts  Grin
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:08:35 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: May 31, 2016, 05:01:12 AM »

That's really cool

I'm surprised Brian texts  Grin

It's possible Brian does text, but it clearly says the text came from Blondie.
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: May 31, 2016, 09:51:20 AM »

All in all, what a show.

Funny having Paul von Mertens sing lead too… is this a resurfacing of that Brian humour that had Jack Reilly sing lead on Day in the Life…?

Hold on... Paul did what...?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1298 on: May 31, 2016, 11:25:15 AM »

All in all, what a show.

Hold on... Paul did what...?

Sang Monster Mash
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1299 on: May 31, 2016, 11:39:34 AM »

That is awesome. I wonder if this was a throwback to Brian having Denny sing that SG bridge part (am I nuts, or didn't that happen a time or two back in the day?) I'd say Blondie's voice is the closest to a Denny type voice in the current band, so it would make sense.

Imo Blondie's voice always fit the Beach Boys' sound very well. Listen to his "ta-a-a-a-a-tions" on GV from In Concert. It has such a warm quality to it (for lack of a better description).

Dennis sang the bridge for example on one of those '66 Michigan show and in Japan '66.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:40:22 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx