gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:11:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472166 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1250 on: May 26, 2016, 12:12:52 PM »

Yep, a super piece by Andrew.
I saw this earlier on Facebook, and I'm sure Andrew wont mind me stating again (as I did on FB) that this wasn't the first time that Honkin' has been performed in the UK - The BB's did it at the infamous (closed exec) London CBS Convention in July 1977

One other possible correction regarding the review is that it contends Brian played a 52-song setlist in 2002 in the UK (the article contrasts this to the 40-song present setlist). But I'm not sure Brian ever did *that* long of a show back in 2002. Most of the examples I'm looking at from the 2002 PS dates show a total setlist around 42-43 songs, which is very similar to the 2000 US PS shows. Perhaps Brian added ten extra songs for a particular UK date in 2002, but I've never heard of it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 26, 2016, 01:23:51 PM »

How about adding some music to your day people?

Add Some Music to your Day - https://youtu.be/cN02CMnTawo

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 26, 2016, 02:13:43 PM »

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 26, 2016, 04:14:37 PM »

I'm just back from the Edinburgh show. What can I say - BRIAN WAS UP FOR IT!!!

And so were the rest of the band!  Cheesy

From the moment they walked on stage Brian was very relaxed, he sang great (particularly in the first half of the show, second half some of the 'new' phrasing was more noticeable which I'm not as keen on). 

I felt the crowd were a bit subdued in the first set.  I was ready for a standing ovation from the start!  I thought by California Girls or certainly Do It Again they'd be on their feet.  I think they will be in Glasgow tomorrow!

So many great moments, particularly Surfer Girl, In My Room, Add Some Music and One Kind of Love, Don't Worry Baby, Blondie, Al, Brian, the Band!  Cheesy

I was row F, Centre and the mix could maybe have been better but with all those instruments it can't be easy.  I also think the band are still getting used to recent changes (maybe some slightly different keyboard sounds, different guitar effects to what I've heard before).  Has anyone else thought this?  But let me be clear, these things in no way detracted from the wonderful gig I have been lucky to see Brian put on again.  I thank God every time I see him up there giving it his all.

Roll on tomorrow when I'm going with a few others who weren't there tonight.

Can I just add, the way Brian was tonight he could do this for years to come.  He looked happy and as if he was enjoying the show. As I said before he was very relaxed.  Grin
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 26, 2016, 06:23:19 PM »

Wonderful. Great to hear!   Smiley

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 26, 2016, 07:13:36 PM »

From the moment they walked on stage Brian was very relaxed, he sang great (particularly in the first half of the show, second half some of the 'new' phrasing was more noticeable which I'm not as keen on). 

I felt the crowd were a bit subdued in the first set.  I was ready for a standing ovation from the start!  I thought by California Girls or certainly Do It Again they'd be on their feet.  I think they will be in Glasgow tomorrow!

So many great moments, particularly Surfer Girl, In My Room, Add Some Music and One Kind of Love, Don't Worry Baby, Blondie, Al, Brian, the Band!  Cheesy

I was row F, Centre and the mix could maybe have been better but with all those instruments it can't be easy.  I also think the band are still getting used to recent changes (maybe some slightly different keyboard sounds, different guitar effects to what I've heard before).  Has anyone else thought this?  But let me be clear, these things in no way detracted from the wonderful gig I have been lucky to see Brian put on again.  I thank God every time I see him up there giving it his all.

Can I just add, the way Brian was tonight he could do this for years to come.  He looked happy and as if he was enjoying the show. As I said before he was very relaxed.  Grin
I'm so pleased you enjoyed it. Was your daughter with you?
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 27, 2016, 12:53:05 AM »

I was in the upper circle, What was said above.  Brian was in good form, Blondie had a great time!!

Surfer Girl was my personal favourite

Absolutely delighted to have seen Brian, Al and the band!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 27, 2016, 05:41:44 AM »

I'm so pleased you enjoyed it. Was your daughter with you?

Not last night Emily, but she will be tonight!  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1258 on: May 27, 2016, 07:03:19 AM »

Anyone have a full setlist from Edinburgh? It's usually easy to pull the previous show's setlist and just note any differences. Thanks everyone for your reviews as the tour rolls along.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 27, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »

I managed to get one at the end. I'll get it up tomorrow as I'm at tonight's show.

Soundcheck highlight today:  Monster Mash! Brian wants tw play it tonight!

They also did God Only Knows(up to the bridge), Don't Worry Baby, Wake the World, Wild Honey (intro), Do It Again.

Al had his usual problems with levels  Smiley and Brian tried to keep them moving along.  Some cool interaction when Brian asked Paul what key Monster Mash was in.  B? E?  I can't hear you Paul. G?  Then after they started playing Al went over to Brian and asked him and Brian said "G for ...I couldn't  make the rest out!

Very relaxed and worth the price of admission alone!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:02:10 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: May 27, 2016, 01:09:45 PM »

I managed to get one at the end. I'll get it up tomorrow as I'm at tonight's show.

Soundcheck highlight today:  Monster Mash! Brian wants tw play it tonight! They also did God, DWB, Wake, Wild (part).
that you in the radish shirt?

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1261 on: May 27, 2016, 02:54:16 PM »

Soundcheck highlight today:  Monster Mash! Brian wants tw play it tonight! They also did God, DWB, Wake, Wild (part).

Monster Mash would be a cool off the wall inclusion. Unlikely, but apparently a few days ago was "Half-oween", the mid-way point between Halloweens for those who are *really* into Halloween.

I really dig and hope they do more of the weird off the cuff things like "I'm Broke" and hopefully "Monster Mash." These songs aren't my favorite, but I like when they can just mix it up.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 27, 2016, 04:01:23 PM »

Hell of a gig tonight.

We got Monster Mash, a burst of Proud Mary (not a very long one) and some very cool musicianship.

Blondie is the rocket up the ass that audience and band alike need. Long may he rock

Outstanding song of the night: tbc.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 27, 2016, 04:04:44 PM »

Soundcheck highlight today:  Monster Mash! Brian wants tw play it tonight! They also did God, DWB, Wake, Wild (part).

Just saw your post John.  It was me with the Radish Shirt!

Where did you see me?

It was another great night.  They were less chatty tonight between songs than they were last night but still fabulous.  Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: May 27, 2016, 04:40:06 PM »

We were about five rows in front, right of the sound desk.

Only guessed it was you as you'd mentioned your daughter, and spotted you all squeezing by to sit down.

A splendid memorable night. If this's really the last EU tour, then I'm happy that we've wrung every delectable pleasure from the last 14 years of Brit shows. Our cup hath run over.

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: May 28, 2016, 12:30:09 AM »

The Glasgow show was poor. It gives me no pleasure to report. Of the 20 odd Brian shows I'very seen this was easily the worst. Brian was just not there. Vocal flubs, missed cues, bad phrasing, he gave up on I know there's an answer. The band seemed to lack energy. The sound had none of the definition and precision I've come to expect. Matt sounded wonderful but was mixed too low. It was uncomfortable 90% of the time. I say this as someone who has seen some transcontent Brian shows, at least 3 of which are in my top 5 concerts I've ever been too.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: May 28, 2016, 01:12:52 AM »

The Glasgow show was poor. It gives me no pleasure to report. Of the 20 odd Brian shows I'very seen this was easily the worst. Brian was just not there. Vocal flubs, missed cues, bad phrasing, he gave up on I know there's an answer. The band seemed to lack energy. The sound had none of the definition and precision I've come to expect. Matt sounded wonderful but was mixed too low. It was uncomfortable 90% of the time. I say this as someone who has seen some transcontent Brian shows, at least 3 of which are in my top 5 concerts I've ever been too.

In your opinion!

I wouldn't have said the show was poor.  I do agree with some of your points.  I felt the mix was not great in both shows.  Last night I felt Nelson's roto toms were too quiet, particularly on WIBN where they are a big part of the song.  Nicky's guitar was too loud in places, couldn't hear enough flute on Add Some Music, and at some points Matt was too low and others too loud etc etc. (I was a few rows behind the mixing desk last night, centre).  They had problems during the soundcheck.  I've played plenty gigs over the years so know a wee bit about this stuff.  I expected better.  Maybe it's because they are still trying to get used to the different patches that Billy and Gary use on the keyboards.  Also Nicky's guitar in Edinburgh didn't sound as 'authentic' as it has on previous "Pet Sounds" tours.

I think the band have really missed the other guys, including Jeff.  They seem at bit hesitant at times.  Things like when to finish the song.  I don't think Brian's new phrasing/improvisational style particularly helps them either.  It creates a timing problem.  I would prefer it if he sang "Love and Mercy" for example the way he used to sing as it now has a feeling of making up words on the spot.  I also said they were less chatty between songs and seemed more in a hurry to get through the show, which was a shame as the Glasgow crowds are always up for it!

I also loved seeing Blondie but not everyone did.  I wouldn't have him doing the last 3 songs of set 1.  They should do a couple more after that like "Do It Again".

As I said in my Edinburgh review, none of the above detracted from my enjoyment.  I thought the show was still excellent.  Brian sounded pretty good on everything apart from a few of the "Pet Sounds" songs and the crowd loved the show.

The friends/family I was with both nights had a great time and my 7 year old daughter loved her first concert (although she started to tire near the end, it was very hot where we were seated!).  I would agree more with John Manning's words and if this was the last show then it was a good way to bow out.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1267 on: May 28, 2016, 01:39:21 AM »

Hell of a gig tonight.

We got Monster Mash, a burst of Proud Mary (not a very long one) and some very cool musicianship.

Blondie is the rocket up the ass that audience and band alike need. Long may he rock

Proud Mary?! Did it sound like the booted version of him and Andy Paley? Can you describe your impression even if it was just a short performance?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: May 28, 2016, 01:49:55 AM »

Hell of a gig tonight.

Proud Mary?! Did it sound like the booted version of him and Andy Paley? Can you describe your impression even if it was just a short performance?

It was just the "rollin', rollin', rollin' on a river" part sung about 5 times.  They could easily do a great full version of this song!  In Edinburgh Brian spoke about the cool bass line before he started playing the song.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: May 28, 2016, 01:54:39 AM »

Nice review and link to JK Rowling's Twitter picture of her meeting Brian!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/brian-wilson-review-beach-boys-8064304#ywGIxeKbCQ4TqOtH.97

And another:

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/music/gig-review-brian-wilson-presents-pet-sounds-edinburgh-1-4140108
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:59:23 AM by mikeddonn » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1270 on: May 28, 2016, 01:56:40 AM »

Hell of a gig tonight.

It was just the "rollin', rollin', rollin' on a river" part sung about 5 times.  They could easily do a great full version of this song!  In Edinburgh Brian spoke about the cool bass line before he started playing the song.

Thank you!
Man, I'd really like to hear the Rock'n'Roll album and a finished Proud Mary by Brian. Maybe he and Don Was were reminded of PM during the NPP sessions....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: May 28, 2016, 02:33:55 AM »

Where did you see me?

It was another great night.  They were less chatty tonight between songs than they were last night but still fabulous.  Grin

Amazing reports from John and Mike!

Monster Mash!  The best song in the history of music performed by Brian W & Al Jardine etc.  Then Proud Mary!  Perhaps "that" rock album would see the light of day.

Mike, I can't believe you wouldn't have noticed John Manning - he'd be the guy with walking poles, sitting in a one man tent, brewing up a steel canteen of tea over a one burner butane stove.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: May 28, 2016, 04:28:43 AM »

Is this what you wanted to link, Andy?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154213343097241&substory_index=0&id=34250497240

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: May 28, 2016, 07:00:15 AM »

Where did you see me?

Amazing reports from John and Mike!

Monster Mash!  The best song in the history of music performed by Brian W & Al Jardine etc.  Then Proud Mary!  Perhaps "that" rock album would see the light of day.

Mike, I can't believe you wouldn't have noticed John Manning - he'd be the guy with walking poles, sitting in a one man tent, brewing up a steel canteen of tea over a one burner butane stove.

Cheesy In that case  Alan I don't know how I missed John. I really need to be more alert. I think my head was still in the clouds from the Meet and Greet! I did see a lot of the usual crowd as well. Guys I have been seeing for 25 years since my first Beach Boys gig in 1991. I can't believe it's been so long!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: May 28, 2016, 07:21:18 AM »

Anyone have a full setlist from Edinburgh? It's usually easy to pull the previous show's setlist and just note any differences. Thanks everyone for your reviews as the tour rolls along.

Here it is:

Our Prayer/Heroes
Cal Girls
Dance Dance Dance
I Get Around/Shut Down/Deuce
Little Honda
Girl Don't Tell Me
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby
Wake the World/Add Some
Cotton Fields