gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:03:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472102 times)
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: May 25, 2016, 06:35:23 AM »

Here's the correct setlist (I think). Heteronym, my impressions are similar to yours. I just wrote down some more impressions but then accidentally delted them. Might try again later.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2016/o2-apollo-manchester-manchester-england-1bfe95e8.html

Please delete my account
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: May 25, 2016, 06:37:50 AM »

Man, I have to give you props for staying spoiler free for nearly a year, since "Wake the World" has been a setlist regular since last June.

Yeah, I've been pretty careful. It makes such a difference to one's enjoyment I find. A concert by another band recently, I made the mistake of watching the entire set from a previous date on youtube. And they didn't change the set at all! I much prefer surprises.

Please delete my account
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1227 on: May 25, 2016, 06:43:17 AM »

Man, I have to give you props for staying spoiler free for nearly a year, since "Wake the World" has been a setlist regular since last June.

Yeah, I've been pretty careful. It makes such a difference to one's enjoyment I find. A concert by another band recently, I made the mistake of watching the entire set from a previous date on youtube. And they didn't change the set at all! I much prefer surprises.

Yep, I certainly try to at least not watch an entire set that may end up being identical to what I'm about to see.

I was spoiled a tiny bit last year, as I had tickets to the opening show of the Summer 2015 tour, so there were no references for what might be performed. Obviously, the show had a somewhat similar setlist to other previous shows. But the "Wake the World/Busy Doin' Nothin'" combo was surprise, and at that point nobody was sure which NPP were going to be performed. He ended up doing four NPP songs to start the tour off.

The drawback to seeing an "opening night" on tour is that sometimes it's later on when they start adding other interesting, new songs.

Biggest actual surprise for me for a BW setlist is still the 2000 PS show where they performed "Let It Shine" for the first time. It's a favorite of mine, but I figured there would have been a half dozen other BW'88 songs they would have done before that one. That was a jaw-hitting-the-floor moment for sure. That was a "deep cut" setlist wish that I figured there was ZERO chance of ever hearing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: May 25, 2016, 06:56:08 AM »

At the Meet and Greet are people using cameras or mobile phone cameras?  Do they check it to make sure the picture turned out ok?  Would they let you take it again if it was blurry?  I just want it to work out!
The meet and greet I attended, people were using both regular cameras and iPhones/smartphones. I brought both a camera and iPhone and the iPhone photo turned out much better. The assistants made an announcement beforehand to check your photo after you meet the guys to make sure it turns out, if not, they would retake it. I'm not sure if this is standard instructions, but they were very clear about it at the one I attended last November.

Also, I have a signed copy of Pet Sounds with Brian's signature.  But the pen I gave him at the time wasn't the best!  My dilemma is if I take another copy to get signed Blondie didn't play on it.  Should I just get the poster signed and maybe Holland or Carl and the Passions?  Is it two items total, or sheet music and two items?
I have not attended a meet and greet on this current Pet Sounds tour, but I have been trying to collect as much information, as possible, before my meet and greet later this year in Detroit. From what I gathered, you get two items signed, one of which has to be the provided poster or sheet music and then you are allowed to substitute your own personal item (an LP, photo, etc.), for the second item. My suggestion, if you really want Pet Sounds signed, give clear instructions to the assistants that you want only Brian (and Al?) on the Pet Sounds and then get Blondie on Holland, CATP or In Concert. That is my plan, as I hope to add Brian and Al to my Rolling Stone cover and will probably try to get Blondie on something else.

Please, if you have done a meet and greet on this tour, please confirm the policies. Thanks!
Confirm.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: May 25, 2016, 08:45:28 AM »

Biggest actual surprise for me for a BW setlist is still the 2000 PS show where they performed "Let It Shine" for the first time. It's a favorite of mine, but I figured there would have been a half dozen other BW'88 songs they would have done before that one. That was a jaw-hitting-the-floor moment for sure. That was a "deep cut" setlist wish that I figured there was ZERO chance of ever hearing.

I'm pretty sure I've seen you mention this before and I wanted to ask - how was that performance of "Let It Shine" after all? It's also a favorite of mine, with a definite Beach Boys meets ELO vibe (gee, wonder why). So I'm intrigued to hear how they pulled it off live.
garyc
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: May 25, 2016, 08:55:05 AM »

I bought the VIP meet and greet package for the Manchester show last night. I didn't really know what to expect. There were about 35 of us and we were ushered into the hall to see the soundcheck which was great. It was like a mini concert. Lots of stage banter going on between Brian and Al and they were asking audience if sound was ok etc. Then the people who just had the soundcheck package were asked to leave. It was just one person though and he said rather meekly "just me then ?" and left. Then we queued up for the meet and greet. Brian, Al and Blondie were at the table. We had to hand our stuff to sign over to someone else then we were each asked to stand behind the table for the photo which were taken with our own cameras, phones. I asked Al to personalise my autograph which he did but then Brian instructed me to stand behind the table for the photo. After the photo was taken I got my chance for a handshake off all three then I stood near to the table to see the rest of the people go through the meet and greet. There was hardly any conversation at all apart from Brian bursting into a rendition of "Honking Down The Highway" whilst pointing at my friend ! One thing I did notice was Brian kept saying to his security "how many more ?" then rather hurridly departed after the last meet and greet. It was worth every penny though to meet these musical legends.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: May 25, 2016, 10:46:20 AM »

Just saw on the BBC Radio 2 website that Brian Wilson is going to be Johnnie Walker's guest on the Sounds of the '70s show. That's Sunday at 15:00 UK time for those who want to hear it live. It will also be available on the BBC's iPlayer Radio.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07c5rhr

From the photo, I'm guessing that Brian's interview is already in the can.

Blurb on the website:
"Johnnie Walker is joined in conversation by Brian Wilson, co-founder of The Beach Boys.

"Considered to be one of the most iconic American bands, The Beach Boys began their music career in the 1960s. The seventies saw them continue to tour and release new material with Brian's help on albums like Sunflower and Surf's Up. Brian shares his memories as he celebrates 50 years of one of the group's iconic albums, Pet Sounds."

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:55:48 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 25, 2016, 10:47:28 AM »

I bought the VIP meet and greet package for the Manchester show last night. I didn't really know what to expect. There were about 35 of us and we were ushered into the hall to see the soundcheck which was great. It was like a mini concert. Lots of stage banter going on between Brian and Al and they were asking audience if sound was ok etc. Then the people who just had the soundcheck package were asked to leave. It was just one person though and he said rather meekly "just me then ?" and left. Then we queued up for the meet and greet. Brian, Al and Blondie were at the table. We had to hand our stuff to sign over to someone else then we were each asked to stand behind the table for the photo which were taken with our own cameras, phones. I asked Al to personalise my autograph which he did but then Brian instructed me to stand behind the table for the photo. After the photo was taken I got my chance for a handshake off all three then I stood near to the table to see the rest of the people go through the meet and greet. There was hardly any conversation at all apart from Brian bursting into a rendition of "Honking Down The Highway" whilst pointing at my friend ! One thing I did notice was Brian kept saying to his security "how many more ?" then rather hurridly departed after the last meet and greet. It was worth every penny though to meet these musical legends.

Wow. Thanks for that, garyc. You must be really chuffed!   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 25, 2016, 11:39:15 AM »

Hey man, welcome to SS. I was in the M&G too, felt very much the same. I wouldn't have swapped it back for the cash given the opportunity but I also don't think I'd be doing it again. I probably rambled at you at some point...I was the guy in the Love You T-Shirt

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 25, 2016, 02:06:29 PM »

Well....that was a bit awesome.

I've got loads of pictures and video and such (including Honkin' full song). Did the meet and greet, sound check, met cool people but the gig, oh that was the highlight. Oof! Back of the net!

Will you share the video of Honkin'?  Wink

Certainly Sir.... https://youtu.be/e5GkKLqmleg

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1235 on: May 25, 2016, 02:25:22 PM »

I've got loads of pictures and video and such (including Honkin' full song). Did the meet and greet, sound check, met cool people but the gig, oh that was the highlight. Oof! Back of the net!

Thank you! That is a Beach Boy classic imo!  Smiley

I just found this 0:34 mins video of the same song played in Auckland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcGkn5Ak1LQ

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 25, 2016, 02:27:35 PM »

Another clip of Honkin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtpJj8h2GLs
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 25, 2016, 02:28:15 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing! Absolutely incredible performance by Al & the rest of the band.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: May 25, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »

Loving the videos of Honkin' Down the Highway. I'm actually surprised Brian didn't pull this one out earlier.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Gorman Ruttles
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 25, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »

Just left the venue. Initial thoughts is that Brian was in great mood and it was a fantastic evening!!!

definitely......have never seen Brian so obviously enjoying a show,right from the start.....wonderful

Do you like worms?
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: May 25, 2016, 09:30:27 PM »

Thanks for all the M&G reviews.  Keep them coming.

I only have 4 more months to obsess about mine.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1241 on: May 25, 2016, 11:10:02 PM »

Excellent, really REALLY hope they play that tonight!

ducie
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 26, 2016, 02:35:11 AM »

Hey man, welcome to SS. I was in the M&G too, felt very much the same. I wouldn't have swapped it back for the cash given the opportunity but I also don't think I'd be doing it again. I probably rambled at you at some point...I was the guy in the Love You T-Shirt

I was there with garyc and agree, it was an awesome day! (Rentatris - Also think it was me who asked about your most excellent Love You T-Shirt in the queue). Can't add much to Gary's comments - the soundcheck was cool, great to see how the band works.  The Meet and Greet was brief but I didn't feel short changed.  The actual concert itself was just as good as I expected it would be.  Not seen Brian live for a few years, but he was fully into it.  Al - sounds as good as he did back in the day, and Blondie rocks!

Anyone who's umming and ahhing about the meet and greet, I'd say definitely do it.  Rationally it's a ridiculous amount of money, but what's rational about the Beach Boys world?  Smiley
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1243 on: May 26, 2016, 04:31:39 AM »

Just left the venue. Initial thoughts is that Brian was in great mood and it was a fantastic evening!!!

definitely......have never seen Brian so obviously enjoying a show,right from the start.....wonderful

From the sound of it, these shows must really be a hit or miss affair. When I saw Brian Saturday in London he seemed more quiet and less enthusiastic than all other times I've seen him (4) - I went to the show with two friends who've seen him 5 and 8 times before. They felt the same as me.

I guess the span between Brian's good and bad days on the road is just pretty wide. (does this phrase make sende in English? It's not my native language...)

Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 26, 2016, 05:08:13 AM »

I have to say: I thought Blondie rocked Wild Honey in Manchester.

Wild Honey - https://youtu.be/049doGBIrS8

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: May 26, 2016, 05:09:08 AM »

yeah well, the guy is 74, nearly 75. that alone. give him a break, let alone everything else he has had to deal with.
how many 74/75 year old's tour the world delivering magic these days?
be kind guys.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: May 26, 2016, 05:13:42 AM »

yeah well, the guy is 74, nearly 75. that alone. give him a break, let alone everything else he has had to deal with.
be kind guys.

I agree. The main thing that stood out to me in the m&g was how frail Brian is. It was like seeing your grandad. Then he comes out on stage and treats us to THAT show. Wow, if I can rock half as hard at him at 60 I'll be delighted!!!!

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 26, 2016, 05:33:17 AM »

Review of the Manchester show by A Hickey:
https://andrewhickey.info/2016/05/26/brian-wilson-al-jardine-and-blondie-chaplin-manchester-apollo-24516/

Please delete my account
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 26, 2016, 06:13:06 AM »

be kind guys.

he's 73, nearly 74.

what topics are approved for discussion?  just so i know...
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 26, 2016, 06:21:25 AM »

Yep, a super piece by Andrew.
I saw this earlier on Facebook, and I'm sure Andrew wont mind me stating again (as I did on FB) that this wasn't the first time that Honkin' has been performed in the UK - The BB's did it at the infamous (closed exec) London CBS Convention in July 1977
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx