gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:11:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472152 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: May 24, 2016, 01:46:20 PM »

At the Meet and Greet are people using cameras or mobile phone cameras?  Do they check it to make sure the picture turned out ok?  Would they let you take it again if it was blurry?  I just want it to work out!

Also, I have a signed copy of Pet Sounds with Brian's signature.  But the pen I gave him at the time wasn't the best!  My dilemma is if I take another copy to get signed Blondie didn't play on it.  Should I just get the poster signed and maybe Holland or Carl and the Passions?  Is it two items total, or sheet music and two items?

What time is Brian coming on stage?

Help me out folks!  Grin
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: May 24, 2016, 02:06:28 PM »

At the Meet and Greet are people using cameras or mobile phone cameras?  Do they check it to make sure the picture turned out ok?  Would they let you take it again if it was blurry?  I just want it to work out!
The meet and greet I attended, people were using both regular cameras and iPhones/smartphones. I brought both a camera and iPhone and the iPhone photo turned out much better. The assistants made an announcement beforehand to check your photo after you meet the guys to make sure it turns out, if not, they would retake it. I'm not sure if this is standard instructions, but they were very clear about it at the one I attended last November.

Also, I have a signed copy of Pet Sounds with Brian's signature.  But the pen I gave him at the time wasn't the best!  My dilemma is if I take another copy to get signed Blondie didn't play on it.  Should I just get the poster signed and maybe Holland or Carl and the Passions?  Is it two items total, or sheet music and two items?
I have not attended a meet and greet on this current Pet Sounds tour, but I have been trying to collect as much information, as possible, before my meet and greet later this year in Detroit. From what I gathered, you get two items signed, one of which has to be the provided poster or sheet music and then you are allowed to substitute your own personal item (an LP, photo, etc.), for the second item. My suggestion, if you really want Pet Sounds signed, give clear instructions to the assistants that you want only Brian (and Al?) on the Pet Sounds and then get Blondie on Holland, CATP or In Concert. That is my plan, as I hope to add Brian and Al to my Rolling Stone cover and will probably try to get Blondie on something else.

Please, if you have done a meet and greet on this tour, please confirm the policies. Thanks!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: May 24, 2016, 03:00:32 PM »

Thanks Marty and also Ciff1000uk (a few pages back before shizzle started to get crazy!) for posting your experiences.

Marty that's good they mentioned about checking the photos.  I wold hate to pay all that money and not have a good memento.  I also wouldn't mind videoing the soundcheck!  Cheesy. But, at the same time maybe I should just sit and try to take as much in as possible.
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: May 24, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »

Just left the venue. Initial thoughts is that Brian was in great mood and it was a fantastic evening!!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 24, 2016, 03:44:14 PM »

More! More! Tell us more!

“We live in divisive times.”
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: May 24, 2016, 04:06:36 PM »

The word is that "Honking Down the Highway" was played tonight in Manchester!

Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: May 24, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »

It was. I let out a ridiculously excited shriek when Brian announced it.

I'll post more details when I get home (on a train now). They played Little Honda which surprised me as well.

Also no Cotton Fields (apparently it was played in London)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:14:17 PM by Heteronym » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: May 24, 2016, 04:19:22 PM »

I'll post more details when I get home (on a train now). They played Little Honda which surprised me as well.

Also no Cotton Fields (apparently it was played in London)

Yes it was, but I assume that it was now replaced by "Honkin'".
I'd say you traded up!

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: May 24, 2016, 04:21:24 PM »

That is awesome.

Love You tour PLEASE!!!!!!!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: May 24, 2016, 04:55:45 PM »

I really hope Brian plays Honkin' Down the Highway in September when I see him...that'd make my night.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: May 24, 2016, 05:00:47 PM »

Well....that was a bit awesome.

I've got loads of pictures and video and such (including Honkin' full song). Did the meet and greet, sound check, met cool people but the gig, oh that was the highlight. Oof! Back of the net!

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: May 24, 2016, 05:26:27 PM »

Wonderful show.

I'd mostly avoided spoilers, except "Funky Pretty", so I didn't realise "Honkin' Down The Highway" was a new addition to the set. From my reaction, my amused companion said he reckoned I enjoyed that more than anyone else in the building. I said I very much doubted it. I wasn't expecting "Wake the World" or "Girl Don't Tell Me" either. A great selection of songs.

Band terrific, Brian in good mood, audience enthusiastic though not ecstatic.
I'm prepared to accept the show as possibly the last time I'll see any of the Beach Boys on stage.

Please delete my account
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 24, 2016, 05:40:27 PM »

It's a damn shame Brian isn't coming to Ohio. Columbus would be ideal, but Cleveland or Cincinnati would be great too.  Sad

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:42:38 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 24, 2016, 09:09:36 PM »

It's a damn shame Brian isn't coming to Ohio. Columbus would be ideal, but Cleveland or Cincinnati would be great too.  Sad

Yeah I'm going from Columbus to Detroit to see the show.  I get out of class at 3 that day so I'm gonna have to book it straight to detroit as soon as I get out.  Good thing it's on a friday!

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 25, 2016, 12:01:28 AM »

I've got loads of pictures and video and such (including Honkin' full song). Did the meet and greet, sound check, met cool people but the gig, oh that was the highlight. Oof! Back of the net!

Will you share the video of Honkin'?  Wink

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: May 25, 2016, 02:09:10 AM »

He did the exact same thing in Osaka...  when he was done singing, he just walked off stage.  I remember thinking it was a bit odd, but perhaps it's something he's been doing in multiple shows. 

The odd thing for me about Brian's vocals is that they seemed unexpectedly strong in the first set and encore set (I was especially surprised by how well he sang 'One Kind of Love'), but he struggled with a fair bit of the Pet Sounds material, especially the stuff from the first side, though God Only Knows and Caroline No were pretty well-sung...  he really seemed to concentrate and got those ones right. I was kind of surprised...  it was a long first set, so I thought maybe he had strained his vocals in the first set and was struggling for Pet Sounds, but then in the encore, he sounded fine.  Maybe the PS stuff is just hard to sing (and maybe that's why this will be the last PS tour). 
Every detail here was exactly the same in Dallas.

Interesting, thanks!  Someone else made a similar comment below--that the slower songs on the first side of PS were the ones he seemed to struggle with the most. 
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 25, 2016, 02:35:36 AM »

Will you share the video of Honkin'?  Wink

There will be much shared my dear friend. Probably tomorrow Morning when I get chance to sort things tonight.

Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 25, 2016, 03:02:54 AM »

Going tomorrow to see Brian, looking forward to it.  It says on the tickets that the door opens at 7, what time has he been on stage from?
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 25, 2016, 03:07:13 AM »

Went on at 20:15 last night. Finished about 22:30

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 25, 2016, 03:48:36 AM »

I would be there according to the start time of the ticket.  with no support act, the show can start immediately.  these guys don't muck around.  you don't want to miss out on the introduction of BW and 'our prayer'.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 25, 2016, 04:14:02 AM »

Email the venue's box office and ask for show times.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 25, 2016, 05:26:32 AM »

I got an email from ticket master with an official 'timetable' for the evening, and Brian wouldn't be on until 20:15. If you got an official information like this then there's no way they will start playing earlier.
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 25, 2016, 05:44:51 AM »

(sorry for the double post) My thoughts on the evening, on waking up after a very late train journey through the pennines:

This is the only second Brian Wilson concert I have attended, so I'm basing any comparisons with the 2014 Cork (Ireland) gig.

Brian was in a great mood for the first half (the hits) of the show. He cracked jokes, got the audience to sing along to 'row row row your boat' and was moving quite a bit with the more upbeat songs. He sounded really good, and introduced almost every song in his endearing child-like way. Honkin' Down the Highway was tremendous and a big surprise - Brian started to explain who would play what instrument on the following track, and suddenly announces it was Honkin'! I never saw that coming, and it was one of the highlights of the evening.

Blondie did the final three songs of the first half, and he was very cool with his guitar playing and general stage presence. He looked like he was enjoying himself, as did the crowd.

Pet Sounds started somewhat abruptly, with many people being caught out of their seats in the bar or loo. Weirdly enough I thought Brian looked less excited from there onward. And whilst his voice was certainly strong and good, he struggled quite a bit with a shortness of breath. It seemed markedly more severe than I'd ever heard or seen from him (both in Cork and YouTube videos). God Only Knows got a huge and long ovation, as expected. I also noticed that whilst every band member was being greeted by the crowd and presented by Paul Mertens, Brian just rushed to his piano not giving Mertens the opportunity to call out his name. I don't know if he does that often, but he just seemed like he wanted to avoid applauses and the adulation.

The encore was a lot of fun, but by then Brian definitely seemed a bit more turned off. Al and Matt sounded great as always though.

I thought it was a lovely evening. The audience was very appreciative of Brian and the band, and Brian seemed and looked a LOT more comfortable than when I saw him in Cork.

EDIT: Here's a review from the Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/review-brian-wilson-manchester-o2-11381585). They have the setlist, too, but it looks obviously wrong to me, unless I blacked out during Please Let Me Wonder and Cotton Fields.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:20:47 AM by Heteronym » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1223 on: May 25, 2016, 06:20:29 AM »

Good to see "Honkin'" back. I'm glad they're at least mixing the setlist up a tiny bit from show to show. I wish they'd vary it a bit more, especially when they do two or three-night runs at the same venue. Especially when the second half of the show is always locked in for obvious reasons.

Also still hoping some other "new" additions show up. Would be cool to see one other Al deep cut. I don't have a KTSA fetish or anything, but both "Santa Ana Winds" and "Goin' On" are two I think the band would pull off quite well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1224 on: May 25, 2016, 06:24:24 AM »

Wonderful show.

I'd mostly avoided spoilers, except "Funky Pretty", so I didn't realise "Honkin' Down The Highway" was a new addition to the set. From my reaction, my amused companion said he reckoned I enjoyed that more than anyone else in the building. I said I very much doubted it. I wasn't expecting "Wake the World" or "Girl Don't Tell Me" either. A great selection of songs.

Man, I have to give you props for staying spoiler free for nearly a year, since "Wake the World" has been a setlist regular since last June.

It was also interesting to see the full London performance of "Funky Pretty." Previous descriptions of it on tour suggested Blondie was singing the entire lead, but on the London video I saw, Brian took a bit (the nonsense lyrics bit), and Al was also taking a few lines.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx