gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:15:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 474742 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1075 on: May 22, 2016, 02:35:28 AM »

I don't think Honkin' had been played at any of the UK dates so far. Hopefully it (or another rarity) will make it back in at some point.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
T2458
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: May 22, 2016, 02:46:17 AM »

Palladium first night the band went from 'Add Some Music' straight into 'Do It Again'.

Two great songs that Al could have sung 'Then I Kissed her' and/or 'Cottonfields' - it hurts that we missed both!

As said before - earlier on 'Little Honda' replaced 'Girl Don't Tell Me'.

The concert started quite late - it seemed like they didn't get everyone away from the concessions or the bar until well after 20:15.  We could see all the band waiting in the wings for a good ten minutes or more - did they run out of time?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1077 on: May 22, 2016, 04:04:39 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/22/brian-wilson-presents-pet-sounds-review-a-spectacularly-moving-evening
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1078 on: May 22, 2016, 04:13:43 AM »

Wow, this is getting pretty off-topic.

Perhaps a mod could come in and redirect the conversation back to this year's great tour?

You're  joking, aren't you? This show has legs.  However, maybe we could switch all this thrust and parry to an Ask Guitarfool thread before yet another nail is hammered  into the board's coffin and we can get back to the topic in hand...
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: May 22, 2016, 05:56:02 AM »

Palladium first night the band went from 'Add Some Music' straight into 'Do It Again'.

Two great songs that Al could have sung 'Then I Kissed her' and/or 'Cottonfields' - it hurts that we missed both!

As said before - earlier on 'Little Honda' replaced 'Girl Don't Tell Me'.

The concert started quite late - it seemed like they didn't get everyone away from the concessions or the bar until well after 20:15.  We could see all the band waiting in the wings for a good ten minutes or more - did they run out of time?

The setlist for the 20th is up now on Setlist dot com, and they do list Cottonfields as having been played...  is that incorrect? 

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2016/the-palladium-london-england-4bfeb316.html
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: May 22, 2016, 06:37:53 AM »

Yeah, incorrect.  It was Saturday only.

Just occurred to me - we didn't get Sail Away.  Why no Sail Away?  I thought we'd get that for this tour.  All the singers were present too.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 06:40:05 AM by Fire Wind » Logged

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 22, 2016, 06:42:07 AM »

Play Leaving This Town or we riot!  Rock!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
IainLee
« Reply #1082 on: May 22, 2016, 07:02:51 AM »

I was at the show last night with my 6 year old boy. His second ever concert

Great seats, second row of the first balcony.

I really enjoyed it. Brian seemed into it. His voice was a little croakier than it has been. Al and Blondie sounded great and a real thrill to hear Blondie sing Funky Pretty.

The band were good. Not the best I've seen. Personally I felt without Jeff or Darian they lacked a little something.

A great night though. My son loved it although he slept through some of the second half.

Just my thoughts.

Oh. And I have no idea what's happened on this board but some of you are coming across as a bit silly and may be scaring casual fans away. Let's just talk about the Beach Boys, huh?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 07:03:46 AM by IainLee » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 22, 2016, 07:18:50 AM »

I really enjoyed it. Brian seemed into it. His voice was a little croakier than it has been. Al and Blondie sounded great and a real thrill to hear Blondie sing Funky Pretty.

The band were good. Not the best I've seen. Personally I felt without Jeff or Darian they lacked a little something.

A great night though. My son loved it although he slept through some of the second half.

Just my thoughts.

Oh. And I have no idea what's happened on this board but some of you are coming across as a bit silly and may be scaring casual fans away. Let's just talk about the Beach Boys, huh?

Well said Ian!

Glad you and your boy enjoyed the show.  I'm taking my 7 year old on Friday and I wonder what she'll make of it.  It will be her first concert.  Her two favourite songs are "Ten Little Indians" and "Runaway Dancer"! Not much chance of those being played.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: May 22, 2016, 07:45:41 AM »

Just my thoughts.

What a great second concert for your son to see! That's terrific. Is he a fan of listening to the music at home too?

For me, I saw the Smile show/tour without Jeff (he got sick prior to the show and couldn't perform the whole thing) and the band found a way to pull together and do a magnificent show (of course it was the Smile tour, the crowd was into it 100% and that always helps drive the band). I also saw a show last fall where Darian couldn't play due to the Zombies tour, and again the highlights were as stunning as any other show. Matt Jardine actually came close to stealing the show that night, and won the crowd over to a standing ovation on songs like Don't Worry Baby. I prefer his falsetto in this band's blend over previous ones, actually- his vocal quality fits the blend, especially when Al is supporting him with the harmony notes underneath, it creates that family blend that has almost a "third voice" quality when siblings or parents/children sing harmony together. And Surf's Up that night was transcendent, one of those performances that just clicked, Billy H was on keys. There was also one show where Darian couldn't make it (I think due to the Heart tour at that time), and I did notice a difference that night, but that was over a decade ago.

On the last point - It would pale in comparison to the numbers of new or casual fans who have said they were afraid of posting to this board for fear of being corrected, reprimanded, or even insulted if they asked a question or made a comment that wasn't up to the level of where some experts thought those posting comments here should be. Some even quit posting entirely because of it. Hopefully those insults are a thing of the past and anyone who was afraid of being insulted here as a new fan who wants to learn more and talk will consider coming back to chat without being insulted.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 22, 2016, 07:59:52 AM »

Just my thoughts.

What a great second concert for your son to see! That's terrific. Is he a fan of listening to the music at home too?

For me, I saw the Smile show/tour without Jeff (he got sick prior to the show and couldn't perform the whole thing) and the band found a way to pull together and do a magnificent show (of course it was the Smile tour, the crowd was into it 100% and that always helps drive the band). I also saw a show last fall where Darian couldn't play due to the Zombies tour, and again the highlights were as stunning as any other show. Matt Jardine actually came close to stealing the show that night, and won the crowd over to a standing ovation on songs like Don't Worry Baby. I prefer his falsetto in this band's blend over previous ones, actually- his vocal quality fits the blend, especially when Al is supporting him with the harmony notes underneath, it creates that family blend that has almost a "third voice" quality when siblings or parents/children sing harmony together. And Surf's Up that night was transcendent, one of those performances that just clicked, Billy H was on keys. There was also one show where Darian couldn't make it (I think due to the Heart tour at that time), and I did notice a difference that night, but that was over a decade ago.

On the last point - It would pale in comparison to the numbers of new or casual fans who have said they were afraid of posting to this board for fear of being corrected, reprimanded, or even insulted if they asked a question or made a comment that wasn't up to the level of where some experts thought those posting comments here should be. Some even quit posting entirely because of it. Hopefully those insults are a thing of the past and anyone who was afraid of being insulted here as a new fan who wants to learn more and talk will consider coming back to chat without being insulted.

Absolutely, Craig, that "holier than thou", arrogant and pugnacious behavior toward members here has finally left the building for good.  w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1086 on: May 22, 2016, 08:00:34 AM »

Perhaps a mod could come in and redirect the conversation back to this year's great tour?

You're  joking, aren't you? This show has legs.  However, maybe we could switch all this thrust and parry to an Ask Guitarfool thread before yet another nail is hammered  into the board's coffin and we can get back to the topic in hand...

A thread to talk or a thread to blame me for everything perceived to be wrong with this board?  Smiley

I'm curious who either provided the nails or swung the hammer on the number of Beach Boys related boards in the past that either imploded or simply fell apart (or never got off the ground). Cabinessence, Shut Down, Male Ego, The Record Room, The Vibe Room, The Smile Shop, The Sunshine Pop board (or whatever the title)...I was only a regular poster and registered member of The Smile Shop, and the reasons why that folded didn't involve me at all but you could always ask those it did involve.

So what were the reasons why the others collapsed...could it be some of the same people causing the same issues from board to board that led to whatever arguments and issues and all else? The same people getting warnings, bans, and even getting the boot from those forums who also came here? This board is still standing. Even the recent Hoffman board exodus (another board I'm not registered and do not post) was eventually crushed when the mods there must have gotten fed up with it and ended up deleting all of the discussions that heavily featured members who were banned from this board and who have axes to grind. I guess I was to blame for that too?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 22, 2016, 08:11:01 AM »

[/quote]

Yeah, and how about the number of people who don't post because they feel if they post an honest opinion that goes against the party line they will be labeled Brian Haters or accused of being on The Lovester's payroll?  They can't all be on the payroll. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: May 22, 2016, 08:46:31 AM »

Yeah, and how about the number of people who don't post because they feel if they post an honest opinion that goes against the party line they will be labeled Brian Haters or accused of being on The Lovester's payroll?  They can't all be on the payroll.  

Yeah, how about it - Is your suggestion now that two wrongs make a right, or at least cancel each other out? There are opinions on all sides and those expressing them or even soliciting them can't expect those who don't see it the same way to not offer a debate, as long as it doesn't go too far into personal insults. If someone writes in a review that going to a Brian Wilson concert is akin to the family pushing Grandpa out in a wheelchair for Thanksgiving dinner, do you think people won't react and respond in kind and blast that kind of thing if they take offense?

But for years new fans were coming here and being either scared off or intimidated into not posting basic questions because of what was seen as the prevailing attitude on this board. I have heard from fans who said they felt they were at risk of being called idiots, trolls, or any number of other names if they posted what was judged by whoever thought it was their duty to be naive or uninformed, in fact quite a few actually were. Therefore there was a reluctance to post here, and that became one of the images this board picked up as a result. maybe that is one of the reasons why some labeled the board toxic - Hopefully that's in the past.

Did you think that was OK seeing new fans being raked over the coals for asking questions?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:47:00 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1089 on: May 22, 2016, 08:49:40 AM »

Yeah, incorrect.  It was Saturday only.

Just occurred to me - we didn't get Sail Away.  Why no Sail Away?  I thought we'd get that for this tour.  All the singers were present too.

Other than "One Kind of Love", the other NPP songs have been dropped for all the 2016 shows so far. I don't see much solo stuff creeping back into the setlist, though Brian has in past years randomly resurrected stuff like "Your Imagination."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1090 on: May 22, 2016, 09:05:21 AM »

You're  joking, aren't you? This show has legs.  However, maybe we could switch all this thrust and parry to an Ask Guitarfool thread before yet another nail is hammered  into the board's coffin and we can get back to the topic in hand...

A thread to talk or a thread to blame me for everything perceived to be wrong with this board?  Smiley

I'm curious who either provided the nails or swung the hammer on the number of Beach Boys related boards in the past that either imploded or simply fell apart (or never got off the ground). Cabinessence, Shut Down, Male Ego, The Record Room, The Vibe Room, The Smile Shop, The Sunshine Pop board (or whatever the title)...I was only a regular poster and registered member of The Smile Shop, and the reasons why that folded didn't involve me at all but you could always ask those it did involve.

So what were the reasons why the others collapsed...could it be some of the same people causing the same issues from board to board that led to whatever arguments and issues and all else? The same people getting warnings, bans, and even getting the boot from those forums who also came here? This board is still standing. Even the recent Hoffman board exodus (another board I'm not registered and do not post) was eventually crushed when the mods there must have gotten fed up with it and ended up deleting all of the discussions that heavily featured members who were banned from this board and who have axes to grind. I guess I was to blame for that too?

The Cab board/Shut Down? Personally speaking, I came here after AGD and others with knowledge decamped and because I got pissed off by a couple of posters who bullied others - which is kinda ironic when you realise who one of them was. The other boards? I don't know, except for The Record Room, which I only visited occasionally and didn't care for its ego-simonizing. I don't think people left there because of the posters you're being careful not to reference. Still think your own personal board would improve things. Posters can blame you for not doing enough about those who ruin thread after thread by whining about Mike or to blame you and your cheering section for the perception that they're not allowed to criticise Brian (even though they're all fans) and you can write and they can read and re-read your justifications until everyone's heart is content.  

Stuff doesn't belong in a thread about Brian's 2016 tour, however.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:07:37 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 22, 2016, 10:37:58 AM »

I think it would be nice if all this was in another thread. I'm not an on-topic purist, but I think this may be a thread that non-board/not really active fans will run into while looking for tour reviews/info. It would be good if their first impression isn't of a battle-zone.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1092 on: May 22, 2016, 11:20:08 AM »

I hope this wasn't posted before. If so, I apologize.
An interview with Brian on Pet Sounds' anniversary:

Brian Wilson on Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary-2016 Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-enTP0_mY5U

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: May 22, 2016, 11:24:16 AM »

You're  joking, aren't you? This show has legs.  However, maybe we could switch all this thrust and parry to an Ask Guitarfool thread before yet another nail is hammered  into the board's coffin and we can get back to the topic in hand...

The Cab board/Shut Down? Personally speaking, I came here after AGD and others with knowledge decamped and because I got pissed off by a couple of posters who bullied others - which is kinda ironic when you realise who one of them was. The other boards? I don't know, except for The Record Room, which I only visited occasionally and didn't care for its ego-simonizing. I don't think people left there because of the posters you're being careful not to reference. Still think your own personal board would improve things. Posters can blame you for not doing enough about those who ruin thread after thread by whining about Mike or to blame you and your cheering section for the perception that they're not allowed to criticise Brian (even though they're all fans) and you can write and they can read and re-read your justifications until everyone's heart is content.  

Stuff doesn't belong in a thread about Brian's 2016 tour, however.

Posters can blame me but am I the only moderator and do I make decisions on my own to do or not do something, then act alone when doing it? Despite some who believe otherwise, the answer is a firm "no". Yet I get singled out. If there is a need for my own board or thread or whatever else (and there very well could be a sub forum or thread here in the sandbox or wherever if that's what posters want), at least have it be factually based on how this board is actually moderated and not based on false claims or assumptions.

Was it not enough when in the past 6 months myself, Billy, Klaas, and most recently Charles have in various threads all posted public statements and refuted all the charges about rogue moderators, moderators who bully others, and whatever other bogus statements were being made about the moderation of this board? I guess I'm the only one who is expected to do something even though it's a team effort and decisions are made by consensus.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 22, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »

Yeah, and how about the number of people who don't post because they feel if they post an honest opinion that goes against the party line they will be labeled Brian Haters or accused of being on The Lovester's payroll?  They can't all be on the payroll.  

Yeah, how about it - Is your suggestion now that two wrongs make a right, or at least cancel each other out? There are opinions on all sides and those expressing them or even soliciting them can't expect those who don't see it the same way to not offer a debate, as long as it doesn't go too far into personal insults. If someone writes in a review that going to a Brian Wilson concert is akin to the family pushing Grandpa out in a wheelchair for Thanksgiving dinner, do you think people won't react and respond in kind and blast that kind of thing if they take offense?

But for years new fans were coming here and being either scared off or intimidated into not posting basic questions because of what was seen as the prevailing attitude on this board. I have heard from fans who said they felt they were at risk of being called idiots, trolls, or any number of other names if they posted what was judged by whoever thought it was their duty to be naive or uninformed, in fact quite a few actually were. Therefore there was a reluctance to post here, and that became one of the images this board picked up as a result. maybe that is one of the reasons why some labeled the board toxic - Hopefully that's in the past.

Did you think that was OK seeing new fans being raked over the coals for asking questions?

You've missed the point.  I don't mind people leaping to Brian's defence if they feel a review has been harsh or don't agree with the sentiments expressed.  That's what the board is about - discussion.  What I, and others, take offence to is you and others claiming they have an agenda for saying maybe Brian should quit touring, or maybe his voice wasn't up to scratch when they saw him play.  I'm sure most people give an honest assessment of how they see it.  If you see it another way fine. But don't (especially as a MOD) accuse people of an agenda or being on Mike's payroll.  Many of these fans you 'call out' have spent thousands of dollars/pounds supporting Brian and the Beach Boys over the years.  They would pay £60 a ticket to cheer Brian just for everything he's done, but they still have the right to comment on how he appears or sounds on stage.  As you have the right to defend him and have a different opinion.  Think back to your reaction to the autotune discussion of NPP.  You were desperate to discredit those who claimed it was used.  Yet, Brian himself has said he uses it on vocals.  It didn't ruin my enjoyment of the album but might have done for others, doesn't mean they had an agenda.

I'm sorry to Emily and others for being off topic, I just feel strongly about all of this.  Maybe some honesty would be great all round.  I'll start by saying I love the Beach Boys, everyone of them.  But when it comes down to it I would go and see Brian if both he and the Beach Boys were in town on the same night! But I don't dislike any of them and value all their contributions.  That's what made/makes them such a uniquely talented group. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 11:28:58 AM by mikeddonn » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1095 on: May 22, 2016, 11:33:05 AM »

I think it would be nice if all this was in another thread. I'm not an on-topic purist, but I think this may be a thread that non-board/not really active fans will run into while looking for tour reviews/info. It would be good if their first impression isn't of a battle-zone.

How many fans do you think were lost through the recent years when they posted something and got either a public or private message calling them idiots or trolls or trying to correct something they said on the board? First impressions of this board have been formed, unfortunately, by actions and behavior well before this thread and which didn't involve people actively participating in it this week. If it means starting up another thread or something, by all means do it. But of all the topics that go in and out of being religiously "on topic", this is only one of them, and it's reacting to what came up several pages ago.

I'd love to read more reviews and comments on the live shows! Unfortunately that's limited by who feels like posting them and sharing those thoughts. It is great to see actual thoughts on the actual shows instead of requests for pre-sale codes and ticketing info that is best addressed to the ticket offices, ticket brokers, and venues hosting the shows, but all of those comments are not discouraged nor are they deleted or moved from a thread about the live shows themselves.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 22, 2016, 11:35:13 AM »

Who is up for a show in PA this year? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 22, 2016, 11:35:37 AM »

I feel the same way as mikeddon. All I ask for is consistency. I don't even care if you are tough or lenient, but however you decide to moderate, you do it the same whether a person is pro-Brian, pro-Mike or just an overall fan of the Beach Boys.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
IainLee
« Reply #1098 on: May 22, 2016, 11:36:47 AM »

How many fans do you think were lost through the recent years when they posted something and got either a public or private message calling them idiots or trolls or trying to correct something they said on the board? First impressions of this board have been formed, unfortunately, by actions and behavior well before this thread and which didn't involve people actively participating in it this week. If it means starting up another thread or something, by all means do it. But of all the topics that go in and out of being religiously "on topic", this is only one of them, and it's reacting to what came up several pages ago.

I'd love to read more reviews and comments on the live shows! Unfortunately that's limited by who feels like posting them and sharing those thoughts. It is great to see actual thoughts on the actual shows instead of requests for pre-sale codes and ticketing info that is best addressed to the ticket offices, ticket brokers, and venues hosting the shows, but all of those comments are not discouraged nor are they deleted or moved from a thread about the live shows themselves.

Dude

I have literally no idea what's happened here. But. You need to take a break. Step away from the keyboard and breathe.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1099 on: May 22, 2016, 11:44:39 AM »

Someone posted this video of a couple of impressions of the show from May 15th. Check it out and be sure to catch Blondie's dedication to Dennis and Carl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmHVAygk8cc

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx