gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:48:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 474134 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 28, 2016, 07:25:08 PM »

Will have a review and set list later for the Jackson show.
Not a Pet Sounds show.
Blondie wore a white flower in his hair.
Brian said something that should go down as a classic Brianism
The band was very loose
GREAT SHOW!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:53:32 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 29, 2016, 05:35:18 AM »

Setlist for Jackson - it was a benefit concert with a few speeches beforehand, so shorter than usual.

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls
Dance Dance Dance
I Get Around
Shut Down - Al
Little Deuce Coupe - Al
Little Honda
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby - Matt
Then I Kissed Her - Al
Do It Again
One Kind of Love
Wild Honey - Blondie
Sail on Sailor - Blondie
Wouldn't it Be Nice- Matt
Sloop John B - Al/Brian
God Only Knows
Pet Sounds
Good Vibrations
All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda - Al
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA
Fun Fun Fun
Love and Mercy

No encores. The band played straight through. Gary Griffin was at this show.

Brian and the band were very loose and in great form.
After Brian came out and said, "Hello, Jackson!" he said, "How loud can the girls yell?" And we yelled. Then "How loud can the boys yell?"

Brian kept praising Al throughout the show. At one point he said, "Al Jardine is the latest and the greatest! He died and went to heaven last night!" Al looked at Brian and said, "Huh??" Then Brian shrugged and said, "I don't know!" The audience laughed, I thought it was hilarious, as it was obvious that Brian had no idea why he said what he did.

Later, Blondie came out, wearing a white flower in his hair. Before singing Wild Honey, he gave out this weird wonderful wailing sound. I tell you, these guys were loose!

Loved the two drummers going at it alone during Pet Sounds after the sax solo. (note - I got to the auditorium early and heard loud drumming - guess they were rehearsing this)

Brian said "I say Yeah" and the crowd said Yeah in return. Then it repeated a few times. Was thinking, what song was this? Sounded like some oldies including Stevie Wonder's Fingertips. But ended up being Barbara Ann

At the end of Fun Fun Fun the final part of Rhapsody in Blue was played.

A wonderful show.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 29, 2016, 05:41:31 AM »

Setlist for Jackson - it was a benefit concert with a few speeches beforehand, so shorter than usual.

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls
Dance Dance Dance
I Get Around
Shut Down - Al
Little Deuce Coupe - Al
Little Honda
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby - Matt
Then I Kissed Her - Al
Do It Again
One Kind of Love
Wild Honey - Blondie
Sail on Sailor - Blondie
Wouldn't it Be Nice- Matt
Sloop John B - Al/Brian
God Only Knows
Pet Sounds
Good Vibrations
All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda - Al
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA
Fun Fun Fun
Love and Mercy

No encores. The band played straight through. Gary Griffin was at this show.

Brian and the band were very loose and in great form.
After Brian came out and said, "Hello, Jackson!" he said, "How loud can the girls yell?" And we yelled. Then "How loud can the boys yell?"

Brian kept praising Al throughout the show. At one point he said, "Al Jardine is the latest and the greatest! He died and went to heaven last night!" Al looked at Brian and said, "Huh??" Then Brian shrugged and said, "I don't know!" The audience laughed, I thought it was hilarious, as it was obvious that Brian had no idea why he said what he did.

Later, Blondie came out, wearing a white flower in his hair. Before singing Wild Honey, he gave out this weird wonderful wailing sound. I tell you, these guys were loose!

Loved the two drummers going at it alone during Pet Sounds after the sax solo. (note - I got to the auditorium early and heard loud drumming - guess they were rehearsing this)

Brian said "I say Yeah" and the crowd said Yeah in return. Then it repeated a few times. Was thinking, what song was this? Sounded like some oldies including Stevie Wonder's Fingertips. But ended up being Barbara Ann

At the end of Fun Fun Fun the final part of Rhapsody in Blue was played.

A wonderful show.

Thanks so much for the review.  I'm in Covington, so the concert was only about 2 hours away, but I couldn't make it due to another commitment.  I'm glad to hear the band was in good form and having fun.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: April 29, 2016, 07:25:04 AM »

A wonderful show.

Thanks for the setlist and show review. Bummer they couldn't do a full-length show, but sounds like the Brian and the band's upbeat energetic mood made up for it!

And yeah, I've seen Brian blurt some weird stuff out at shows. Back in 2007 he said something about how "Sail on Sailor" wasn't a good song but that they'd "do it anyway", and Al reassured Brian that it was in fact a good song!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #854 on: April 29, 2016, 07:37:34 AM »

Not super interesting, but it looks like they did "Do It Again" last night for the first time on this tour, and they only rarely did it last year.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: April 29, 2016, 09:57:28 AM »

I've added the Montreal date to the top post. Interesting that they're still filling in dates on the schedule.

K so tickets are now on sale for Brian at Montreal Jazz Festival 2016. I just got mine  Grin

He's playing Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier in Place-des-Arts complex, which is the centerpoint of Jazz fest. Its a very cool theather, where the OSM (Symphonic Orchestra from Montreal) plays classical concerts. So its also very prestigious. I saw him there back in 2010 for the Gershwin show, sound was great.

So this is going to be my 4th year in a row catching Brian playing live (including the 2013 reunion show). Hope he continues to play for many, many more.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 29, 2016, 05:18:08 PM »

Has anyone got any photos of the stuff they received at the Meets and Greets?  Would love to get a look.  I'm still hoping to get the package.
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 01, 2016, 10:30:32 AM »

Got our tix for the Hollywood Bowl - very excited about seeing Brian in this historic venue.  We've seen Brian in many places, but never in California - I figured that this tour would be the time we head west. 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 01, 2016, 08:08:03 PM »

Grand Prairie show was great with so much energy and talent and skill. I'll review more tomorrow with photos.
Here's the set list (similar to most above):

Sound check:
California girls Brian
Dance dance dance Brian
Honkin down the highway Al
Sail on sailor Blondie
I get around Brian and Matt

Show
Our prayer
Heroes and villain Brian
California girls Brian
Dance dance dance Brian
I get around Brian and Matt
Shut down Al
Little deuce Coupe Al
Little Honda Brian
In my room led by Brian
Surfer girl Brian and Matt
Don't worry baby Matt
Wake the world al
Add some music Brian
Honkin down the highway al
Darlin darian
One kind of love Brian
Wo Blondie Chaplin amazing wild honey
Funky pretty Blondie
Sail on sailor Blondie
Pet Sounds
Wouldn't it be nice Matt and Brian
Ysbim Brian
That's not Me Brian and Matt
Don't talk Matt and Brian
Waiting for the day Brian
Let's go away
Sloop Al Brian Al
God only knows Brian
I know there's an answer brian and al and Matt
Here today Brian
I just wasn't Brian and Matt
Pet sounds
Caroline no Brian

Encore
Gv Brian Matt
Proud Mary chorus group
All summer long  Brian
Rhonda Al
Barbara Ann Matt
Surfin USA Brian
Fun fun fun Brian
Love and mercy Brian
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #859 on: May 01, 2016, 08:45:40 PM »

Proud Mary? Interesting....

RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 02, 2016, 12:13:57 AM »

Proud Mary! That's cool!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #861 on: May 02, 2016, 07:34:09 AM »

According to a review on setlist.fm, "Proud Mary" was only a short snippet, around 30-45 seconds or so. I'm curious to know how impromptu this was versus being something they're rehearsing for future inclusion.

While it's an interesting setlist pick, I've never been enamored with Brian's fascination with (or recordings of) this song.

Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 02, 2016, 08:05:26 AM »

Went to the Grand Prairie show last night. Was a great show, Brian had a great energy for a majority of the show. The first set was insane, especially when Blondie came out. His leads and guitar solos were great as was his stage presence. Before "Honkin Down The Highway", Brian said Al wrote and produced it, which Al denied soon after  Grin.

Pet Sounds was solid, Brian was struggling with a few leads here and there but overall it was awesome. "Let's Go Away For Awhile" specifically was masterfully executed by the band.

The encore was amazing. The energy in the theatre was contagious. "Help Me, Rhonda" got the most reception from the crowd in seemed to me. "Proud Mary" wasn't very long (they only covered the chorus if I remember correctly), but people were definitely singing along. Brian seemed pumped to play it.

Overall, it was a fantastic concert. Brian was into it, had some great leads. The band was in pretty much perfect form. What more can you ask for?!

Ps: "Funky Pretty" was very good as well, but I would love them to do "Leave This Town" instead!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #863 on: May 03, 2016, 04:20:37 AM »

Proud Mary! That's cool!

I wonder if they performed it in the same style as the Paley recording in 92. I'm happy that Brian and the group are starting to dig out some more material (i.e "I'm Broke") from that great era of music. A part of me hopes that they're hinting at an eventual release of the Paley material, but it's highly unlikely!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 03, 2016, 04:39:34 AM »

Sounds like another good show!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: May 03, 2016, 07:09:22 AM »

Proud Mary! That's cool!

I wonder if they performed it in the same style as the Paley recording in 92. I'm happy that Brian and the group are starting to dig out some more material (i.e "I'm Broke") from that great era of music. A part of me hopes that they're hinting at an eventual release of the Paley material, but it's highly unlikely!

I like the idea of the band spontaneously doing more stuff, but it seems to not happen too often. "I'm Broke" only got one airing; they didn't try it again spontaneously nor did they fully rehearse it and add it into the setlist.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #866 on: May 03, 2016, 02:04:12 PM »

A 9/24 show at the Beacon Theatre in NYC has been added.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 03, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »

A 9/24 show at the Beacon Theatre in NYC has been added.

Thx for the heads up! Didn't feel like going all the way out to Jersey. Knew our boy would come through for NYC.  Smiley
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 03, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »

I don't have a whole lot to add to Rocket's review. Keep in mind that this is my first time seeing Brian's band so I can't say how they were relative to other nights - just my isolated impression. I know most of you have seen them before.A few things:

-Proud Mary sounded really good - great harmonies. Yes, just the chorus about 5 times. And Brian seemed excited about it when he introduced it.
-Everyone seemed really on. Perhaps the break from the cancelled festival gave them added energy. \
At the soundcheck everyone seemed really cheerful and joking around a lot. Apparently American Airlines lost Blondie's luggage and he was wearing borrowed clothes. Brian and Al were ribbing each other a lot but obviously with good humor.
-At the meet and greet, Brian, Al and Blondie all took some extra time and talked and joked very nicely with my daughter. She was shy but very excited, and they are all clearly good with kids because they got her past her shyness really well. Brian said a few very friendly words and gave her a big smile and wink as we left.
-Our seats were really good - toward the front and a bit to the left so our view wasn't blocked by the piano.
-Blondie has a cool job - he completely rocks things out for three songs and then mills around on and offstage and occasionally plays tambourine.
-Al's voice, of course, like Blondie's, seems almost ageless.
-Matt Jardine was perfect.
-Brian really surprised me with his energy and enthusiasm. I've read things that sound like people have perceived at some shows like he's not very engaged, but he really was. He gave fun little intros to the songs, sang with zest and his voice sounded really nice and clear. As Rocket indicated, he seemed to get a little tired mid-show for two or three songs but then he bounced back with gusto. On a few songs when he and Matt were trading lines - with Brian doing the Mike part and Matt doing the Brian part - he would do this funny action like he was throwing a ball over his head to Matt for Matt to carry the ball for the next line.
-My daughter commented that it sounded just like the recording, but with more energy, and I'd say that's about right.

I'm astounded at the sound that comes out of this 11-12 person band. It was amazing. They really deserve their reputation. And, Andrew Hickey, if you're listening, I should pay more attention than I've done to the individuals in the band and not just think of them as a bunch of anonymous "Brian's band" members. They are obviously each brilliant musicians in their own rights. Wow.

It was my daughter's first concert (outside of the symphony), and what a great one. The meet and greet really personalized it for her. By the time the show started, they were not just remote famous people on a stage, but humans, which I think allowed her to relax and enjoy their humorous mood and absorb the music a bit better. After a few songs she was pointing out amazing percussive or guitar moments; commenting on the horns...

Absolutely an incredible experience. And if I could I would give massive thanks to everyone involved with this show for the accessibility, not just through the meet and greet but through the very relaxed, jovial stage manner, and for the technical quality - the sound was terrific - and most of all for the quality of the music. The performance lived up to the songs - some of the best ever written.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 03, 2016, 02:22:22 PM »

Has anyone got any photos of the stuff they received at the Meets and Greets?  Would love to get a look.  I'm still hoping to get the package.
I'll post some tomorrow. I'm going to post my pictures from the concert now, then I have to go out.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: May 03, 2016, 02:23:43 PM »

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 03, 2016, 02:27:22 PM »

I've got a series that shows, in three shots, the whole stage and everyone on it, but it uploads upside down for some reason. I'll try again later.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 03, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »

I'll post some tomorrow. I'm going to post my pictures from the concert now, then I have to go out.

Thank you Emily!

Great review, glad you both enjoyed the show.  I will be taking my daughter in May.  Hope she enjoys it too!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 03, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »

Emily - Your review was wonderful, but I must say that happy little face in the last photo in front of the band says it all.

Actually, it's really refreshing to get a review from a younger Brian fan and her daughter who haven't been to so many shows.  I understand that the detailed, comparative reviews are useful, but the sheer joy of reading about you and your daughter having a fabulous time Sunday night should put a smile on anyone's face. That's what this is all about, isn't it? 

Brian has made it clear that he tours because he makes people happy and he shares love.  I think you made it clear that his intention continues to be successful.
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 03, 2016, 10:41:34 PM »

Fantastic review, Emily!

I forgot to mention in my brief review that it was actually my first ever concert (I'm turning 21 very soon so I guess I'm a late concert bloomer  Grin). If it sounded like I had seen it all before, it was solely based on the multitude of YouTube videos I had to live off of till I finally got the chance the see him live myself on Sunday night. It truly is incredible seeing Brian live. After so many years of holding him in high regard, he had reached an almost mythological status in my mind until I finally saw him up close and realized that indeed this man who has provided my favorite music and inspired me to make music was in the very same room as me and so many others that have been touched by his music.

Definitely was an experience I will never forget!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx