gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:55:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472293 times)
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: April 05, 2016, 05:21:32 PM »

Here's hopin' they get around to playing Leaving This Town!
Now yer talkin!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 05, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »

Now yer talkin!
Complete with extended synth solo that lasts the entire concert.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:17:26 PM by BachelorsDegreeInBullets » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 05, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »

Did anybody see the show on the 5th?  Looks like the setlist was the same as the one on the 3rd, for what that's worth. 

And yeah, while I like Funky Pretty, I would be even happier if they did Leaving This Town instead!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 05, 2016, 10:52:54 PM »

I watched the film & Gary in it. I just wondered who of the Wrecking Crew he played.

Al Deloray

Pretty sure its Delory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_De_Lory
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 06, 2016, 05:19:02 AM »

A little bit of Funky Pretty here:  https://youtu.be/qq1TIZ_G72o?t=4m39s

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 06, 2016, 05:44:03 AM »

A little bit of Funky Pretty here:  https://youtu.be/qq1TIZ_G72o?t=4m39s

Thanks!  I am hoping a full version is recorded and posted soon.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 06, 2016, 08:54:58 AM »

A little bit of Funky Pretty here:  https://youtu.be/qq1TIZ_G72o?t=4m39s

I like it!   Smiley

orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 06, 2016, 11:33:40 PM »

Now yer talkin!
Complete with extended synth solo that lasts the entire concert.

My need is deep inside.
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 07, 2016, 02:58:05 AM »

Just did the meet and greet in Perth. God I clammed up hard, but I can cross it off the bucket list.

Blondie is one seriously cool dude.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 07, 2016, 04:14:54 AM »

Just did the meet and greet in Perth. God I clammed up hard, but I can cross it off the bucket list.

Blondie is one seriously cool dude.

Can you give us a bit more info please?  I'm still tempted to do it in May.
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 07, 2016, 05:10:38 AM »

Give you a full rundown when I get home, they're about to play Pet Sounds in a bit.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 07, 2016, 06:10:30 AM »

Give you a full rundown when I get home, they're about to play Pet Sounds in a bit.

Thank you, I look forward to hearing all about it.  I didn't realise you were still at the show!  Enjoy.  Grin
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 07, 2016, 06:24:18 AM »

Did anybody see the show on the 5th?  Looks like the setlist was the same as the one on the 3rd, for what that's worth. 

And yeah, while I like Funky Pretty, I would be even happier if they did Leaving This Town instead!
Leaving This Town is one of their absolute epic classics. 

It would be great for them to test it out at a show or two to see how well it is received.   Wink
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 07, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »

Thank you, I look forward to hearing all about it.  I didn't realise you were still at the show!  Enjoy.  Grin

Hey it was a great show. Definitely worth it in my opinion, Blondie really killed it and got a stack of energy going. He acted like a man possessed during 'pet sounds', he was shaking that tambourine like it was some kinda raindance ritual. The band sounded excellent, musically it was very on point and I don't think anyone left disappointed.

I'll tell you my experience with the Meet & Greet. I got the VIP package that included some trinkets, sound check, early merch access and, of course, the meet and greet. Sound check was pretty good, lasted for about 30ish minutes. It's just the band running though a couple of songs and testing the levels. It's a nice candid look into the behind the scenes operations. At one point someone said "Let's try a song with Blondie" and Blondie stepped to the mic and said "I'm gonna do Funky Pretty". Brian just interrupts "NO, do Sail on sailor" that was funny as hell, everyone just kinda shrugged and got on with SOS.

Now, for the meet and greet. They only allowed 2 items to be signed, no more than that. For pictures, you give someone your phone and they'll take a photo with it. No videos for the meet and greet. They had us in a single line and sent us through one individual/group at a time. It was Brian, Al and Blondie sitting at a table, they told us before we went in that they'd be seated and they wouldn't get up for photos. I was near the end of the line and heard Brian yell out "How many more left?" I think he was kinda over it, which is fair enough. I went in and my mind went completely blank! I walked up to Brian and said "Hey Brian" (Like I didn't know what the hell to say) and and he just said "Hey". There was a little bit of silence, and Al says to me "What do you know?" and I just say the first thing that comes into my mind. "Not much". goshdarn. Anyway, leaned down for the photo, had a quick interaction with Blondie and was on my way.

That about covers it. Great night, would recommend, it's pretty damn cool. Lemme know if you have anymore questions, i'm gonna get some sleep i'm mega tired.

Peace.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 07, 2016, 09:51:44 AM »

That's why I'll probably never go to one of those Meet and Greets. I would spend days preparing some 5-10 second profound statement, but when I actually meet them I'd stammer something like 'ahummahummahumma' and feel like a fool. :-)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 07, 2016, 09:54:33 AM »

Hey it was a great show. Definitely worth it in my opinion, Blondie really killed it and got a stack of energy going. He acted like a man possessed during 'pet sounds', he was shaking that tambourine like it was some kinda raindance ritual. The band sounded excellent, musically it was very on point and I don't think anyone left disappointed.

I'll tell you my experience with the Meet & Greet. I got the VIP package that included some trinkets, sound check, early merch access and, of course, the meet and greet. Sound check was pretty good, lasted for about 30ish minutes. It's just the band running though a couple of songs and testing the levels. It's a nice candid look into the behind the scenes operations. At one point someone said "Let's try a song with Blondie" and Blondie stepped to the mic and said "I'm gonna do Funky Pretty". Brian just interrupts "NO, do Sail on sailor" that was funny as hell, everyone just kinda shrugged and got on with SOS.

Now, for the meet and greet. They only allowed 2 items to be signed, no more than that. For pictures, you give someone your phone and they'll take a photo with it. No videos for the meet and greet. They had us in a single line and sent us through one individual/group at a time. It was Brian, Al and Blondie sitting at a table, they told us before we went in that they'd be seated and they wouldn't get up for photos. I was near the end of the line and heard Brian yell out "How many more left?" I think he was kinda over it, which is fair enough. I went in and my mind went completely blank! I walked up to Brian and said "Hey Brian" (Like I didn't know what the hell to say) and and he just said "Hey". There was a little bit of silence, and Al says to me "What do you know?" and I just say the first thing that comes into my mind. "Not much". goshdarn. Anyway, leaned down for the photo, had a quick interaction with Blondie and was on my way.

That about covers it. Great night, would recommend, it's pretty damn cool. Lemme know if you have anymore questions, i'm gonna get some sleep i'm mega tired.

Peace.

Sounds brilliant!  Thank you for taking the time to let me know a bit more.  I've met Brian a few times and would love to meet Al and Blondie.  Getting a picture with all three would be a great memento.  I'd be paranoid in case the photo was blurry!  I know what you mean about not knowing what to say.  I've found myself a bit tongue tied too!  Maybe I'd wear my Radiant Radish or Keep It Clean With Al Jardine t-shirt and see if someone passes comment!

Cheers.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: April 07, 2016, 10:35:58 AM »

If setlist.fm is correct, it looks like the same 38-song setlist again for Perth. Not a bad thing of course; I'm glad the one shortened Sydney shows appears to have been an anomaly.

A little more variance from night to night would be cool (ideally without replacing deep cuts with hits), and I would imagine we'll see more of that considering we're not even 10% into this tour.

I'm curious if we'll see "Honkin'" dropped in May in the UK in favor of "Cottonfields."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 07, 2016, 12:00:03 PM »

Went to the Perth show, and can confirm what appears on setlist.fm. I had an okay time - Matt Jardine does a real nice Don't Worry Baby, and I got to hear a Love You song live for the first time - but it didn't change my opinion that it's time for Brian to hang up the gloves.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 07, 2016, 12:11:05 PM »

It was nice that Funky Pretty was in the set, but it didn't leave a great impression on people I spoke to who weren't familiar with it. They undersold the vocal round at the end, which is what makes it such an underrated song IMO.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 07, 2016, 05:37:18 PM »

My need is deep inside.

Deep and wide!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: April 12, 2016, 09:17:23 AM »

Looks like the first Tokyo show didn't have any drastic changes. They did replace "Honkin' Down the Highway" with "Then I Kissed Her."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: April 12, 2016, 09:19:52 AM »

It would be cool if they changed the setlist up more between shows when they do two night at the same venue. Hopefully maybe "Honkin'" or something new will surface on the second Tokyo show.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: April 12, 2016, 09:21:17 AM »

Al posts some interesting pics on Facebook.

Apparently, BRI lawyers finally caught up with Al in Tokyo:

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 12, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »

Here's a new article/interview. So, shelving SMiLE was influenced by something Van Dyke Parks said...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=22&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj9yfiexonMAhWMaD4KHbQ0D6o4ChAWCFgwCw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.japantimes.co.jp%2Fculture%2F2016%2F04%2F07%2Fmusic%2Fgenius-brian-wilson-beach-boys-mastermind-short-words-long-legacy%2F&usg=AFQjCNEcINA_62oPcWaRNpx_2drm8Kqujg&sig2=fLQtfIXsmTtvOikp3h8-8A

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:05:59 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 12, 2016, 06:08:59 PM »

It would be cool if they changed the setlist up more between shows when they do two night at the same venue. Hopefully maybe "Honkin'" or something new will surface on the second Tokyo show.

Yeah, I really hope they at least exchange 'And I Kissed Her' for Honkin' in Osaka!  I'd really love to hear 'Honkin',' but also they played 'Kissed' in both Japan BB's shows that I saw in 2012, and it didn't seem to get a big response anyway.  In my experience, Japanese Brian fans tend to be really into the deeper cuts. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx