gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:55:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472229 times)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 29, 2016, 08:05:13 PM »

Looks like on the most recent show, Brian is back to his piano being more off to the side as opposed to dead center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUAZzy8V9K0

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 29, 2016, 09:30:29 PM »

I think it's odd that they would do Leaving This Town as it was not written by Brian and he probably had nothing to do with that song when it was recorded.  It would be cool to hear but I'm just not sure if it's appropriate for a Brian Wilson concert.  Wild Honey makes a lot more sense.

I'd LOVE to hear LTT, but I've had the same thought--it doesn't have much, if anything to do with Brian.  I do like it more than FP, but will be happy to hear either or both songs!

For what it's worth, looks like the two more recent shows have had the exact time setlist as the first. 
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 29, 2016, 10:00:21 PM »

Thanks for the confirmation. Was "Then I Kissed Her" performed? Someone removed that song from the 9/29 setlist on the setlist.fm website.

No "Then I Kissed Her" on March 29, sorry!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 29, 2016, 10:30:44 PM »

ABC Home

ABC NEWS

Wouldn't it be nice to perform with Brian Wilson?BY ELLOISE FARROW-SMITHUPDATED 16 MINUTES

PHOTO 

Beach Boys legend Brian Wilson played with four women from the Byron Bay hinterlands at Bluesfest.

FACEBOOK: BLUESFEST BYRON BAY

Have you ever dreamed of being a rock star?

One day you are living your quiet life on the farm; pulling weeds from the garden, chasing children in for meal and bath times and somehow finding a moment or two to strum a few tunes on the guitar or play a few bars on the violin.

The next day ... you're standing on a stage before around 6,000 people with Beach Boys legend Brian Wilson perched at a piano only a few steps away.

Happens every day, right?

Four women from the Byron Bay Hinterland had that experience, pulled from their everyday, normal lives for an evening of making music with a musical genius.

PHOTO Two cellists and two violinists land the gig of a lifetime, playing with Beach Boys legend Brian Wilson.ABC: MICHAEL MACKENZIE

The women — two violinists and two cellists — all play together at different times in various ensembles. But this was described as the gig of a lifetime.

Violinists Sue Simpson and Oren Siedler said scoring the big gig all came down to luck and a bit of "who you know".

AUDIO 3:59Wouldn't it be nice to play music with Brian WilsonABC NEWS

"Having come from Melbourne and having done a lot of touring, a friend of mine from Melbourne gave me a call and asked would I be available and of course I said yes!" Ms Simpson said.

Oren Siedler said she couldn't believe her ears when she was asked, and it was an immediate yes.

But after watching a video online of Brian Wilson's performance with Elton John she began to wonder if she was up to the job.

"Elton John gets up at the beginning and says 'Hi, I'm Elton John and I just want to let you know how honoured I am to be sharing the stage with Brian Wilson; this is like a dream come true'," Ms Siedler said.

"I thought, damn if Elton John feels honoured to be sharing the stage with Brian Wilson, how am I supposed to feel?

"So then I started getting a little nervous, what if I play an F sharp when it's supposed to be F natural and Brian Wilson hears it?"

PHOTO Byron string ensemble (from left) cellists Robbie Farrar and Claire Yerbury, and violinists Oren Siedler and Sue Simpson.ABC: MICHAEL MACKENZIE

But as they say in the business, it'll be all right on the night … and it was.

The musicians, along with cellists Robbie Farrar and Claire Yerbury came off the stage beaming.

"It was great fun; it was awesome," Ms Simpson said.

"The male voices, that high classic Beach Boys sound, it was beautiful."

It was a big sound with 11 musicians in the core band and then eight extra for the Bluesfest performance made up of five strings and three brass who also doubled on wind instruments.

PHOTO Kudos to Byron Bay strings players from Brian Wilson and his band.ABC: MICHAEL MACKENZIE

As for Ms Siedler's nerves: "I was trying my hardest to look like I wasn't counting but inside I was counting one, two, three, four, two-two, three, four and hoping it wasn't showing on my face," she said.

"But it was so much fun and I felt very relaxed after the first few minutes.

"It was wonderful seeing the musicians having such a wonderful time and then looking out to the crowd and seeing all the beaming happy faces and thinking, wow, we are actually part of imparting all this joy to this room of thousands of people; it felt so satisfying."

Ms Simpson said she would love to one day get around to doing it again.

"I think the band really enjoyed playing with an extra bit of 'fat' with the strings and the woodwinds," she said.

"I hope they loved it because I'd love to come back and do it again."

The day after the night as a rock star, Ms Siedler's experience seems surreal.

It's back to vacuuming, loads of washing and caring for children but the good vibrations of her night as a rock star will keep resonating for some time yet.

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 30, 2016, 02:22:23 AM »

Thanks for the confirmation. Was "Then I Kissed Her" performed? Someone removed that song from the 9/29 setlist on the setlist.fm website.

No "Then I Kissed Her" on March 29, sorry!

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Yeah, looks like 'Darlin'' replaced 'Then I Kissed Her.'  Not a bad trade, though it would be even better if they replaced it with 'California Saga' or something. 
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 30, 2016, 02:24:17 AM »

I just wanted to let people know that the tickets for the Ottawa Jazz Festival show went on sale today and the site notes the following band members.  Darian and Scott are not listed.  As others noted, there will probably be some changing of band members during the tour. 

Featuring:

Brian Wilson - Vocals, Piano
 Al Jardine - Guitar & Vocals
 Blondie Chaplin - Guitar & Vocals
 Gary Griffin - Keys & Vocals
 Probyn Gregory - Guitars, Horns & Vocals
 Billy Hinsche - Keys & Vocals
 Paul von Mertens - Horns & Vocals, Musical Director
 Michael D'Amico - Drums
 Nelson Bragg - Percussion & Vocals
 Nick Walusko - Guitar & Vocals
 Robert Lizik - Bass Guitar
 Matt Jardine - Vocals & Guitar

What's most surprising is that they're providing a full manifest of backing band members on the show's website. I rarely see that sort of detail. Usually, we're lucky if they remember to put Al and Blondie's name on there.

Yes, I was surprised too! I've never seen that before. It kind of even surprises me that that level of detail would be released to the venue.

I'm happy that I'll get to see Billy Hinsche, as I've never seen him before, but will really miss Darian. I hope he'll be at some of the other East Coast shows.

The Japanese page for the Pet Sounds tour also has the same detailed band member list. Nice that they are being so specific!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #631 on: March 30, 2016, 07:30:36 AM »

I just wanted to let people know that the tickets for the Ottawa Jazz Festival show went on sale today and the site notes the following band members.  Darian and Scott are not listed.  As others noted, there will probably be some changing of band members during the tour. 

Featuring:

Brian Wilson - Vocals, Piano
 Al Jardine - Guitar & Vocals
 Blondie Chaplin - Guitar & Vocals
 Gary Griffin - Keys & Vocals
 Probyn Gregory - Guitars, Horns & Vocals
 Billy Hinsche - Keys & Vocals
 Paul von Mertens - Horns & Vocals, Musical Director
 Michael D'Amico - Drums
 Nelson Bragg - Percussion & Vocals
 Nick Walusko - Guitar & Vocals
 Robert Lizik - Bass Guitar
 Matt Jardine - Vocals & Guitar

What's most surprising is that they're providing a full manifest of backing band members on the show's website. I rarely see that sort of detail. Usually, we're lucky if they remember to put Al and Blondie's name on there.

Yes, I was surprised too! I've never seen that before. It kind of even surprises me that that level of detail would be released to the venue.

I'm happy that I'll get to see Billy Hinsche, as I've never seen him before, but will really miss Darian. I hope he'll be at some of the other East Coast shows.

The Japanese page for the Pet Sounds tour also has the same detailed band member list. Nice that they are being so specific!

But geez, if they're going to put down "Robert Lizik", how about Alan Jardine, Matthew Jardine, Nicholas Walusko (no, I don't even know if that's his full first name), William Hinsche....   Grin

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: March 30, 2016, 07:40:34 AM »

I think it's odd that they would do Leaving This Town as it was not written by Brian and he probably had nothing to do with that song when it was recorded.  It would be cool to hear but I'm just not sure if it's appropriate for a Brian Wilson concert.  Wild Honey makes a lot more sense.

I'd LOVE to hear LTT, but I've had the same thought--it doesn't have much, if anything to do with Brian.  I do like it more than FP, but will be happy to hear either or both songs!

For what it's worth, looks like the two more recent shows have had the exact time setlist as the first. 

While these are "Brian Wilson" shows and both fans and band members are doing well by remembering that, once Al (and especially with Matt and Blondie in there too) steps in, I do see the show as more of a "band" performance. It's really kind of an "alternate" touring Beach Boys lineup in my mind. I recognize it's not going to be like old Beach Boys tours where Al has a say in setlist and whatnot. I've also pointed out that indeed Al and Blondie's performances are usually of songs Brian either wrote or co-wrote, or songs he originally sang a part on. But I don't think having Blondie sing a song from an actual Beach Boys album is too off-topic for a BW show. It's not like he's having Blondie do a mid-show solo set of songs nobody has heard before (though frankly that *could* be interesting too). If Dave can do "Little Bird", I'm happy hearing Blondie do "Leaving this Town", or "Hold on Dear Brother." I've often hoped they might let Matt Jardine sing something like "The Trader", which I believe was briefly rehearsed in the old "Family & Friends" days.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 30, 2016, 10:02:08 AM »

Feel free to tear this ageist reviewer a new one:
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/brian-wilson-review-beach-boy-was-once-genius-but-its-time-to-let-it-go-20160330-gntq79.html

BRIAN WILSON REVIEW: BEACH BOY WAS ONCE GENIUS BUT IT'S TIME TO LET IT GO
March 30, 2016
Bernard Zuel

I'm of the sentiment that no one should be expected to give up their art just because they're getting older.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 30, 2016, 10:34:39 AM »

I don't think the reviewer is saying it'e because they are older.  The issue is the quality.  He didn't think it was befitting of the great Brian Wilson and that's fair comment.  Maybe he doesn't care that some nights are good and some aren't.  I've been to every Brian Tour in the UK since 2002 (several shows per tour) and I am booked up for at least 2 more in May.  But IMHO Brian's voice is not as good as it was in 2002 (even then he had his moments).  It's the same as the old "He could still sing falsetto if he wants" argument.

I love Brian and will always cut him slack but not everyone is a hard core fan like most of us here.  I will also be delighted to see Blondie but I can also understand why someone might not like his singing.  I would love to hear them do "Sail Away".

So yeah, many people here have questioned Brian still continuing to tour. The reviewer is doing the same.

Roll on May, I can't wait. God Bless Brian Wilson, it is amazing he is still out there at all.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #635 on: March 30, 2016, 10:35:55 AM »

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/brian-wilson-review-beach-boy-was-once-genius-but-its-time-to-let-it-go-20160330-gntq79.html

March 30, 2016
Bernard Zuel

I'm of the sentiment that no one should be expected to give up their art just because they're getting older.

The #1 aspect of the review that lends an air of a lack of credibility to me is not that he didn't like the show, but rather than he contends that in 2004 Brian sounded markedly better.

As I've *often* said, an argument can be made against Brian doing shows/tours. I don't agree with that argument, but it's an argument that is not without a few potentially valid points (obviously depends on what those points are). But those points have existed all along, since 1999. If you think Brian's performance is sub-par in 2016 but think it was stunningly awesome in 2004, then I'd say *your* perception and judgment and taste has changed FAR more than Brian's stage presence or performing ability. Brian has ups and downs, but the show isn't *hugely* different now from what it was in 2007 or 2004 or even 2000.

I also find his observation suspect that *all* of the band just happened to all be off at the same time? I suspect this guy just took perhaps a more tentative, shaking-the-cobwebs-off performance and turned every little aspect of it into a negative. That he seems to suggest the backing band and Jardine are normally solid, but had an off night, also undercuts his argument that they should just hang it up, because he's implying they haven't hit some wall where they all suck now, but rather had an off night.

He also doesn't understand either the fanbase or Brian very well if he things "Cabinessence" is both an equally plausible and more preferable setlist choice to something like "Funky Pretty." He doesn't get it. Something new is exciting. Brian did "Cabinessence" at 80 or so shows in 2004 and 2005, and I don't think he has ever done the song outside of a "Smile" set.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: March 30, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »

I don't think the reviewer is saying it'e because they are older.  The issue is the quality.  He didn't think it was befitting of the great Brian Wilson and that's fair comment.  Maybe he doesn't care that some nights are good and some aren't.  I've been to every Brian Tour in the UK since 2002 (several shows per tour) and I am booked up for at least 2 more in May.  But IMHO Brian's voice is not as good as it was in 2002 (even then he had his moments).  It's the same as the old "He could still sing falsetto if he wants" argument.

I love Brian and will always cut him slack but not everyone is a hard core fan like most of us here.  I will also be delighted to see Blondie but I can also understand why someone might not like his singing.  I would love to hear them do "Sail Away".

So yeah, many people here have questioned Brian still continuing to tour. The reviewer is doing the same.

Roll on May, I can't wait. God Bless Brian Wilson, it is amazing he is still out there at all.

Not to simply reiterate points from my other post, but I don't believe Brian in 2015 or 2016 is *vastly* different than he was in 2004. He literally moves a little slower due to back stuff. But his stage demeanor on the two 2015 shows I saw, and his voice, were both not hugely different from other shows. If anything, he was in a better mood in 2015 than he had been on previous more recent shows.

The writer's main argument ("it's time to let it go") isn't without at least enough validity to ponder it. But he undercuts his argument by being so effusive in praising the 2004 and 2002 tours, because people were writing these same sort of negative reviews of his shows back then too.

Again, I sense the writer has changed more than Brian has.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 30, 2016, 10:42:05 AM »

He also doesn't understand either the fanbase or Brian very well if he things "Cabinessence" is both an equally plausible and more preferable setlist choice to something like "Funky Pretty." He doesn't get it. Something new is exciting. Brian did "Cabinessence" at 80 or so shows in 2004 and 2005, and I don't think he has ever done the song outside of a "Smile" set.

2002 UK June tour, as part of a medley with Wonderful.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #638 on: March 30, 2016, 10:42:42 AM »

Ironically, while still enjoyable performances, "Sail Away" was organizationally one of the weaker moments at both 2015 shows I attended. All three of the guys tripped over each other and sang over each other.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #639 on: March 30, 2016, 10:44:53 AM »

2002 UK June tour, as part of a medley with Wonderful.

Ha, I was going to say he has rarely done it outside of the full album. Should have stuck to that. But it's pretty clear that the song isn't a likely choice for Brian to just pluck out and randomly insert into the setlist, and I do believe he hasn't performed it *since* the final "Smile" date in 2005. He has professed a dislike of doing "Surf's Up" and "Busy Doin' Nothin'" due at least in part to the verbosity of the lyrics, and indeed both are now gone again from the setlist. I think I caught the last time to date that Brian did "Busy Doin' Nothin'" back in September in San Francisco.

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 30, 2016, 04:34:02 PM »

The #1 aspect of the review that lends an air of a lack of credibility to me is not that he didn't like the show, but rather than he contends that in 2004 Brian sounded markedly better.

I was there at the show on the 29th.  I don't think he's wrong on that -- Brian *was* in better voice in 2004 than the other night.

I'm just not generalizing out to his entire touring career from one really rough show.

The thing is, night before last, Brian was in really bad form for much of the show -- clipping lines, bellowing them, rushing or hesitating, going off-pitch or just not singing bits.  He got markedly better as he went along (starting around side 2 of "Pet Sounds" -- there was a really sweet bit where he harmonized with Al on "this is the worst trip I've ever been on"), but it was still easily the most haphazard performance I've seen from him (out of about a dozen shows).  It wasn't just the singing -- his stage banter was minimal even by Brian standards.  Then he tried to introduce "my very good friend...  I've forgotten his name."  (Blondie.)  And he was in full I-just-wanna-get-this-show-over-with mode.  He got up before the end of "Good Vibrations" and headed offstage with the urgency of a man headed for the bathroom.  Then he came out halfway through Paul's spiel introducing him for the encore.  He had the out-of-sync sluggish reactions of a man trying to get through things when he's *exhausted*.

And you know what?  I'm sure he *was* exhausted.  The band played Auckland on the 26th, flew to another country in a different timezone on the 27th, played Bluesfest on the 28th, flew down to Sydney on the morning of the 29th, checked in, then pretty much went straight to soundcheck to play that night.  No rest day.  Yesterday was their first actual day off.

At 73?  No wonder you'd be wiped.  My dad's four years older than Brian, and I couldn't imagine putting him through that.  And that's without even taking into account Brian's assorted medications.  (When Kate and I go Up Over, there's a whole rigamarole surrounding adjusting the timing of various meds which make her drowsy, so that she doesn't miss a dose as she crosses all the timezones or end up taking them in the morning rather than the evening -- it can knock her off balance for days.)

Hell, I don't think Brian was even the only one having a lousy day.  The band managed to stuff up *Our Prayer* -- how is that even possible?  But there were a bunch of off-key notes coming out, and I don't think it was just Brian.

So basically, yeah, I can believe that the reviewer thought Brian was shot.  I just don't agree that this is normal for him.  I've seen the man's performances get steadily *better* performances from 2000 onwards, all the way to the Jeff Beck shows in 2013.  This was a stumble.  An obvious one, and a sign of issues they'll have to watch out for on their touring schedule even more from here on out, but not the new baseline.

And now I'm desperately trying to scrape together the money for a ticket for tonight, because I don't want that to be my last memory of seeing Brian.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:35:45 PM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 30, 2016, 05:56:24 PM »

My thoughts on the Sydney show.
First of all the EXPERIENCE was wonderful, the venue the context and the performance was memorable experience for my fellow guest and I.
Now on to the little things.
Scheduling- I raised this prior to the tour's commencement, this first Sydney show was always going to be the one that was at risk of the lag factor. To play at the Opera House after arriving less than 8 hours before at the age of 73 was at best poorly thought out. Then to arrive in the pouring rain and a few hours later sound check then show...

Performance- In my opinion was slightly effected by the scheduling, though the band did a stellar job as always. Brian looked anxious and showed signs of it, which to those that know him or are familiar with his mannerisms can be picked up . The band knew Brian was feeling really anxious, a day to settle in, get ready for Sydney was a better option. Brian definitely reacted after the GOK's standing ovation. Overall it wasn't a bad Brian effort, he loves The Opera House and was really fucking trying at times to get through his feelings and get it out to the audience. It added so much to me the effort he was giving and most that I spoke to had seen the movie and where delighted that he could even be there to deliver his music. I disagree with Jonathan with extreme prejudice. And I have two spares and you aint getting one!

"That review"- Anyone that thinks Foskett was better than Matt is a fucking idiot! And clearly shows where this "reviewers" allegiances lay. Foskett was a prick! And whilst I personally think Matt's vocals are not close to Brian's they are a different sound and it sounds good and pure and very sweet.... Maybe to sweet for my ears. But the band loves him!

I am going to enjoy tonight, I look forward to another great performance of the greatest album of all time!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 30, 2016, 07:04:33 PM »

March 30, 2016
Bernard Zuel

Wow the quote about Matt being fine but no as good as the fabulous Jeff Foskett. This guy has no idea.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 30, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »

I disagree with Jonathan with extreme prejudice. And I have two spares and you aint getting one!

Thanks for that.  Having finally confirmed I have the cash, I've been trying all morning to get even a single SRO ticket, and they're completely sold out.  So, it looks like this is it.  Love and mercy to you.

BTW, if you're thinking I said that because I was bashing Brian, you couldn't be farther from the truth.  I have *been* there -- psychedelic with exhaustion, dead on my feet, just trying to get through the rest of the day.  I have nothing but sympathy for the man.

Regards,
Jon Blum
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 30, 2016, 07:58:46 PM »

The first Opera House show was not Brian's best - as previously stated clipping and missing words and at times he did seem to be in a hurry to get the show over with - and at this stage of the tour Al & Matt can't cover for Brian's mistakes in the same way that Foskett could. On the plus side Al, Matt and Blondie really add a new dimension to the show - Al's in great voice and I'm in the camp that prefers Matt's vocals over Jeff Foskett's (please Brian let Matt do Hushabye). I really liked the first set, it opened with Prayer/H&V then had a run of 8 or 9 hits - moved on to a mini set of more obscure tracks as far as the meat and potatoes crowd were concerned then on comes Blondie and gives a swaggering taste of what the Beach Boys were live in the early 70's - something we in Australia never got to witness (and I'd love to see H&V moved from the opener to closing the set with a more rocking 70s take on the song).

I struggled with the Pet Sounds set, at times to me it felt like performing Pet Sounds is an ask too much for Brian and the tour may have been better off sticking to a broader selection of songs and letting the rest of the band carry more of the vocals without diminishing Brian's presence. I'm off to the second show tonight and will be happy to be proved wrong. The encore rocked ... even Barbara #$%^in' Ann.

I felt the crowd was broader that previous tours with a distinct "Love & Mercy' film influence about the attendees. I'm not a fan of the sound quality at the Opera House - its generally too muddy and not loud enough for my taste - it diminishes the live experience.

Having said all of the above about Pet Sounds I had a chance last night to hear a recording of the first Sydney show and Brian sounded much better than I (and others in attendance) could remember. Perhaps I've been over exposed to Brain and Pet Sounds - so perhaps it really is time for a Love You tour  Grin
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: March 31, 2016, 12:30:04 AM »

I'm not a fan of the sound quality at the Opera House - its generally too muddy and not loud enough for my taste - it diminishes the live experience.

I agree. This was the first time I've been to the opera house and I was so underwhelmed by the sound system. Your right the sound was just muddy, it was hard to differentiate the instruments, sort of sounded like everything coming out of one speaker.

As for any hiccups Brian made vocally doesnt bother me I'm just happy his here.
I noticed Brian kind of shuffling walking off stage, I hope his back isn't causing too much trouble again.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:05:17 PM by MrRobinsonsFather » Logged
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 31, 2016, 02:03:04 AM »

The writer's main argument ("it's time to let it go") isn't without at least enough validity to ponder it. But he undercuts his argument by being so effusive in praising the 2004 and 2002 tours, because people were writing these same sort of negative reviews of his shows back then too.

Again, I sense the writer has changed more than Brian has.

Yes, the writer does praise the previous tours, but since then, if you feel the writer has changed, IMO, I think it's because he clearly sees that the 'novelty' of seeing Brian Wilson in
person, has since run it's course.  How long will it go on?? 

And let me add:  I love Brian.  I saw his NO PIER PRESSURE show last year in San Francisco.  I recorded the whole show, and listening back to it.... I just couldn't get through it.
it just wasn't that good or that interesting. It just lacked any inspiration and was so flat in so many places.  Brian's vocals at times were awful, and when a song would end, he wouldn't pause
for a moment and accept the applause and admiration, he would start introducing the next song, or the person who was going to sing the next song.  The audience didn't know what to do at
times.  It was like, "Okay, let's get on to the next one".  Just a bit painful to see.  But let's face it, many in the audience are very forgiving on this, and on many other things. 

Also, Alan and Blondie are great singers/musicians, but neither added much to the show.   The band, (God Bless them) do what they can to cover up all of these imperfections, and they
do a great job imitating that "Beach Boys' Sound", but frankly, sometimes they sound like they're rushing to get through the song.  The arrangements are sometimes bland and
not very refreshing.  I especially cringe at the arrangement of "Wild Honey" which is such a durge!  It's just sometimes too painful.  Just not very uplifting. 

Maybe I expect more, but not for myself or the fans, but for Brian.  He might be enjoying himself, and smiling and acting like he's into it, but at times he seems to be somewhere else, and
just going through the motions.  I know I can't expect too much from him, but I didn't leave the show last year feeling like, "Wow...I just saw an amazing Brian Wilson show".   It was more,
"Well, there were some good things, but there was a lot of things, that didn't come across that well."  It wasn't a show that I even cared to tell my friends about.

I know a lot of you may criticize me for saying so, but I also don't think Brian deserves to have to go through all of the hassle to be out on tour. 
He should be relaxing at home, and enjoying his life.   If he wants to record from time to time, so be it.  He's had a great career and has nothing more to prove. 
But he shouldn't be touring anymore.  Just doesn't need to do it anymore.   He's never been one for life on the road.

As for this tour, I do not plan to see it.  Like I said, it's just too painful to watch the drama unfold.  And for seeing the WHOLE of PET SOUNDS album done live...well, been there done that many times before. 

Dogbone
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 31, 2016, 02:05:11 AM »

Another review of the same show but a much more positive one. http://www.thebrag.com/music/brian-wilson-sydney-opera-house

I don't doubt there were flaws though but given the schedule it isn't really surprising. Four standing ovations? Still sounds as though the audience had a good time.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: March 31, 2016, 02:26:36 AM »

"Given the schedule" Huh It's the third show of tour, not the seventy third. I wasn't there, and there have been contradictory reports, from fans as well as reviewers. All very confusing. Hopefully any potential kinks will have been ironed out by May.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 31, 2016, 02:46:40 AM »

I know a lot of you may criticize me for saying so, but I also don't think Brian deserves to have to go through all of the hassle to be out on tour. 
He should be relaxing at home, and enjoying his life.   If he wants to record from time to time, so be it.  He's had a great career and has nothing more to prove. 
But he shouldn't be touring anymore.  Just doesn't need to do it anymore.   He's never been one for life on the road.

This is to assume that Brian doesn't want to tour and sees it as an imposition, rather than as something he either enjoys or believes to be good for him.
I don't believe Brian is being coerced to tour, and I don't believe that if he was his band members would go along with that coercion. I believe that he either sees it as something he enjoys, or as something that is good for his mental health in the same way running is good for his physical health.
One big advantage of having Al, and now Blondie, to take some of the leads is that it means Brian's bad nights don't have to be all bad. The show I saw in 2014 (the only Brian/Al UK show so far) was clearly an off-night for Brian at first -- he was missing cues and forgetting to sing at all -- but having Al there took enough of the weight off that he was able to get through a very rough first half of the set and do a transcendently gorgeous second half, with the best live God Only Knows and Heroes & Villains I've ever heard.
I think this is a genuinely good thing for Brian. I also think that even when Brian's at his worst, his band are capable of putting on a great show. I hope his performances get better than people are saying this one in Australia was, but even if they don't, I'll still look forward to the two UK shows I have tickets for. I'll be there as much to support Brian as to enjoy the shows, anyway -- but I'm certain I will enjoy them.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx