gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:28:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472233 times)
Angua
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 28, 2016, 10:41:54 AM »

Brian has the best group thing going at the moment, but if both camps could just pull it together. damn!
they are even doing a similar setlist these days.  Brian has incorporated the car/surf hits, and Mike has included
deeper and rare cuts.  They are almost on the same plane that it's not even funny.  I wish politics and money
had nothing to do with these groups, because together with Bruce included, these guys could do stellar things again.
Brian with Al and Blondie
Mike with Bruce.
damn guys!  

They do stellar things without Mike and Bruce.  In fact I think that Mike and Bruce's interpretation lowers the quality.  

I have absolutely zero interest in seeing Mike and Bruce ever again.  Even if Brian wanted to and there were no 'political' problems it would reduce my enjoyment, not least of all because you don't know how it would all go wrong again.  Last time there was little sign of them enjoying each other's company - before the show they were waiting in the wings, separate from each other and not talking.  On stage there was a good bit of sniping.  Whereas with Brian's band they make it clear that they feel respect for Brian and show him support.

Sorry but I'm not going to mince my words on this issue any longer.  I want to make it clear to Brian and his management that they shouldn't get together with them on my account.  I hope everyone who feels the same way will make their feelings clear too.  Those in favour have been banging on about it for years so it's time those of us who are not should stand up and be counted.
Honestly, all the hate in here has really rubbed off on me. Anymore, I don't care what they do together or apart. This place has made me sick to death of the entire Beach Boys thing. I have no desire to see any of them anymore. Since the new year, I have hardly played any of their music. If that was effect and affect you guys are going for; it worked! Never in my wildest dreams would I expect a Beach Boys fan board to turn me off to my ex-favorite band. Well done, people.

It wasn't this board that put me off the Beach Boys.  

A bit strange that you find yourself unable to listen to the music but can continue to post here.

Please don't let us detain you.  By the way I don't like the 'forgive us our wife and Managers' line in your prayer.

To keep this on topic and to be positive - to all those who have been and are going to the concerts, I'm really thrilled for you all (and myself).  Lots to look forward to!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:44:06 AM by Angua » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: March 28, 2016, 11:00:37 AM »

Looks like the new tour merch is all "backordered" right now (I'm guessing they posted the items before they actually had the stock). I like that a program and poster exist.

I wish they'd do something more unique with the logo designs and especially the posters. The poster is very "corporate graphic design" instead of being anything approaching the style or spirit of great "concert poster" art. Even back in 2006 and 2007 they were doing more unique, hand-pulled style textured posters for specific shows or short runs of shows. Some great Brian stuff was being done all the way back in 1999 even.

I don't like that nothing other than one or two t-shirts even lists cities, and nothing lists dates or venues.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:02:59 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 28, 2016, 12:34:57 PM »

Brian has the best group thing going at the moment, but if both camps could just pull it together. damn!
they are even doing a similar setlist these days.  Brian has incorporated the car/surf hits, and Mike has included
deeper and rare cuts.  They are almost on the same plane that it's not even funny.  I wish politics and money
had nothing to do with these groups, because together with Bruce included, these guys could do stellar things again.
Mike with Bruce.
damn guys! 

They do stellar things without Mike and Bruce.  In fact I think that Mike and Bruce's interpretation lowers the quality. 

I have absolutely zero interest in seeing Mike and Bruce ever again.  Even if Brian wanted to and there were no 'political' problems it would reduce my enjoyment, not least of all because you don't know how it would all go wrong again.  Last time there was little sign of them enjoying each other's company - before the show they were waiting in the wings, separate from each other and not talking.  On stage there was a good bit of sniping.  Whereas with Brian's band they make it clear that they feel respect for Brian and show him support.

Sorry but I'm not going to mince my words on this issue any longer.  I want to make it clear to Brian and his management that they shouldn't get together with them on my account.  I hope everyone who feels the same way will make their feelings clear too.  Those in favour have been banging on about it for years so it's time those of us who are not should stand up and be counted.
Honestly, all the hate in here has really rubbed off on me. Anymore, I don't care what they do together or apart. This place has made me sick to death of the entire Beach Boys thing. I have no desire to see any of them anymore. Since the new year, I have hardly played any of their music. If that was effect and affect you guys are going for; it worked! Never in my wildest dreams would I expect a Beach Boys fan board to turn me off to my ex-favorite band. Well done, people.

Please don't let us detain you.  By the way I don't like the 'forgive us our wife and Managers' line in your prayer.

I didn't write it, Hypehat did. Plus, I don't give a sh*t whether you like it or not. See, the hate you send out does return to you or was that a smile?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: March 28, 2016, 01:06:02 PM »

It appears there was an orchestra of some size at the Bluesfest show, which may have been advertised and I just missed it. No setlist I can find yet. I doubt it was much different from the previous night, but I'm curious if they tried "Leaving this Town." Or maybe they did a shorter show because it was a festival gig?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 28, 2016, 01:35:18 PM »

I was wondering if 'Wild Honey' or 'Leaving This Town' might be a typo? Both WH and SOS have been consistent since Blondie joined and it would be strange to have 2 new songs on the same bill in Auckland ie FP, LTT and SOS.

I'm thinking: 'Funky Pretty' or 'Leaving This Town'
                    'Wild Honey'
                    'Sail On Sailor'

.....would have made more sense until both new songs were nailed down?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: March 28, 2016, 02:08:35 PM »

Hard to say until more setlists pop up. "Leaving the Town" is a full Blondie lead just as "Wild Honey" is, so in that sense it makes sense to swap them back and forth. Then if "Funky Pretty" is a shared lead as on the original record (Al sang on the studio and "In Concert" album versions, and perhaps Brian sings some lines too?), it kind of takes the place of "Sail Away" from last year. So the notations on the setlist made sense to me.

But I haven't heard any firm reports as to whether Blondie sang *all* of "Funky Pretty" or not. It's weird though, that they bring him out on tour and don't just give him four songs instead of three. He's presumably going to travel the world for 80+ shows to come on stage for three songs per night (plus some encore numbers), so why not just make it four at least?

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 28, 2016, 02:10:17 PM »

Guys, guys. There just isn't enough time left in the lives of these folks--no matter who you deem to be the "heroes" and who the "villains"--for any of us to wallow in the "anti-positivity." If you favor M&B, go see them; if you favor B&A&B plus M, go see them. Enjoy the music and the various folks who were involved in creating it while we still can!

If they never regroup, we will always have 2012...we really have to just be grateful for whatever we get. Really!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 28, 2016, 03:07:59 PM »

Blondie did the FP lead Saturday. Others may come in later but just him first time out.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 28, 2016, 03:49:37 PM »

Guys, guys. There just isn't enough time left in the lives of these folks--no matter who you deem to be the "heroes" and who the "villains"--for any of us to wallow in the "anti-positivity." If you favor M&B, go see them; if you favor B&A&B plus M, go see them. Enjoy the music and the various folks who were involved in creating it while we still can!

If they never regroup, we will always have 2012...we really have to just be grateful for whatever we get. Really!

Amen Don. I always wanted to see a Bee Gees concert before they stopped touring and now only Barry is still around and seldomly touring. I had the once in a lifetime oppurtunity to see BRIAN WILSON live in my lifetime and I'll never take it for granted!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 28, 2016, 03:57:25 PM »

It should certainly be about the here and now, not constantly hankering over the past. The originals are touring albeit in separate bands. We don't need them to be together in order to appreicate whichever concerts we go to see.

As for the 'hate' to which drbeachboy refers, that isn't just down to the fans but is caused by the differences between band members, which has caused factions to develop.

I don't need to look back to 2012 to be happy about the music - there is plenty to appreciate right now and in years to come perhaps we will be looking back at this tour as one of the highlights. I hope so.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 28, 2016, 04:06:45 PM »

I'd prefer it if they gave Blondie all four songs with Leaving This Town taking place of Shut Down or Little Deuce Coupe.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: March 28, 2016, 04:17:50 PM »

Blondie did the FP lead Saturday. Others may come in later but just him first time out.

Interesting, as he's only one of four lead vocalists on the original recording. Then again, Brian, Al, and Blondie seemed to sometimes mess up the lead vocal cues on "Sail Away", so "Funky Pretty" might be even more challenging for them in that regard.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 28, 2016, 04:47:11 PM »

It should certainly be about the here and now, not constantly hankering over the past. The originals are touring albeit in separate bands. We don't need them to be together in order to appreicate whichever concerts we go to see.

As for the 'hate' to which drbeachboy refers, that isn't just down to the fans but is caused by the differences between band members, which has caused factions to develop.

I don't need to look back to 2012 to be happy about the music - there is plenty to appreciate right now and in years to come perhaps we will be looking back at this tour as one of the highlights. I hope so.
I've said it many times in here and I will say it again. The hate that goes on here is way over the line as compared to how the guys feel about each other. I cannot see how hating on Mike more than how Brian or Mike feel about each other accomplishes anything more than just writing it here to stir up sh*t. This was a great thread going until the Mike haters interjected and started the thread downhill. It was quite refreshing to read the all good things that happened at Brian's show and how excited the attendees were about the playlist and being there.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 28, 2016, 04:56:07 PM »

I've said it many times in here and I will say it again. The hate that goes on here is way over the line as compared to how the guys feel about each other. I cannot see how hating on Mike more than how Brian or Mike feel about each other accomplishes anything more than just writing it here to stir up sh*t. This was a great thread going until the Mike haters interjected and started the thread downhill. It was quite refreshing to read the all good things that happened at Brian's show and how excited the attendees were about the playlist and being there.

Unfortunately that seems inevitable that the talk will head that way, but who cares? I don't care if people say what they please thats up to them, all I know is I saw Brian Wilson on 26/03/2016 and it changed my life.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 29, 2016, 01:01:58 AM »

I enjoyed reading the positive comments about the show which was the subject of the thread.  What set it off in a different direction was the comment about the Beach Boys getting back together (a comment not made by a Mike hater). They've been there, done that, and it is over. Can't we ever just enjoy what we have now, rather than continually going on about returning to the past?

As for the way the guys feel about each other, obviously that is between them but reading the details of that 2005 lawsuit and various comments in Mike's interviews doesn't give a good impression and that goes right up to date, Mike complaining about how Brian didn't attend his birthday party for example.

If someone wants to do a thread about a reunion, perhaps better to do it under another title. I will happily avoid it.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 29, 2016, 01:19:46 AM »

ah blown out of proportion, but maybe it was taken in the wrong context.
I was just merely stating that the guys are almost on the same plane now it's nearly silly.
I said what I said 'rhetorically' speaking, and maybe I shouldn't have said anything and should
have chosen my words more carefully.  I said it in the fact, M&B over the last 5 years or so,
have started putting in some deep cuts not normally that would be in their show, and that now Brian
and his guys have dropped more of his solo things and have and made his show more of a 'beach boys' show.  
Yes I understand the politics and the reasons between the two, but I was meaning to say that they guys make great music together
it's a shame that they are so close, but so far apart.  I am no ML hater at all, I've seen his (their) group
a number of times and have enjoyed what he brings to the show, no one can do that like Mr. Love.
Let's keep things on topic.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:21:05 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 29, 2016, 01:33:24 AM »

ah blown out of proportion, but maybe it was taken in the wrong context.
I was just merely stating that the guys are almost on the same plane now it's nearly silly.
I said what I said 'rhetorically' speaking, and maybe I shouldn't have said anything and should
have chosen my words more carefully.  I said it in the fact, M&B over the last 5 years or so,
have started putting in some deep cuts not normally that would be in their show, and that now Brian
and his guys have dropped more of his solo things and have and made his show more of a 'beach boys' show.  
Yes I understand the politics and the reasons between the two, but I was meaning to say that they guys make great music together
it's a shame that they are so close, but so far apart.  I am no ML hater at all, I've seen his (their) group
a number of times and have enjoyed what he brings to the show, no one can do that like Mr. Love.
Let's keep things on topic.  Sorry.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I can understand that some wish the original Beach Boys were still together. It's just that drbeachboy's accusation that Mike haters suddenly out of nowhere brought this up is unfair.

Mike and Bruce have undoubtedly improved the standard of their shows and bring pleasure to many fans. We have Brian and his band, Mike and Bruce and their band. Those who want to see both bands still can, or pick whichever they choose. A lot for which to feel grateful and of course it won't last forever so we should all be making the best of it.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 29, 2016, 01:36:30 AM »

indeed Ang, I see Brian in 5 days.  Looking forward to the show.  I agree, that debate needs to be elsewhere.
This is such a good time for the fans, let's not degrade this thread over that discussion.
someone else can start that cos it's not going to be me.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 29, 2016, 01:43:37 AM »

Brian's at the Sydney Opera House as I write this, I wonder how the show is going?  havn't heard anything from anybody.
People?
edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCOb6nKF6t0
sail on sailor at Byron bay, Sydney.

short clip, Brian sounding Greatttttt!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkc3-NPnyiM
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:48:33 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 29, 2016, 02:38:10 AM »

Brian's at the Sydney Opera House as I write this, I wonder how the show is going?  havn't heard anything from anybody.
People?
edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCOb6nKF6t0
sail on sailor at Byron bay, Sydney.

short clip, Brian sounding Greatttttt!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkc3-NPnyiM

Thanks for the clips! Brian sounds brilliant.

Glad to learn you'll be seeing Brian soon. I hope you have a great time. I'm looking forward to his UK shows in May.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:40:29 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Angua
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 29, 2016, 02:43:29 AM »

they are even doing a similar setlist these days.  Brian has incorporated the car/surf hits, and Mike has included
deeper and rare cuts.  They are almost on the same plane that it's not even funny.  I wish politics and money
Mike with Bruce.
damn guys! 

They do stellar things without Mike and Bruce.  In fact I think that Mike and Bruce's interpretation lowers the quality. 

I have absolutely zero interest in seeing Mike and Bruce ever again.  Even if Brian wanted to and there were no 'political' problems it would reduce my enjoyment, not least of all because you don't know how it would all go wrong again.  Last time there was little sign of them enjoying each other's company - before the show they were waiting in the wings, separate from each other and not talking.  On stage there was a good bit of sniping.  Whereas with Brian's band they make it clear that they feel respect for Brian and show him support.

Sorry but I'm not going to mince my words on this issue any longer.  I want to make it clear to Brian and his management that they shouldn't get together with them on my account.  I hope everyone who feels the same way will make their feelings clear too.  Those in favour have been banging on about it for years so it's time those of us who are not should stand up and be counted.

Please don't let us detain you.  By the way I don't like the 'forgive us our wife and Managers' line in your prayer.

I didn't write it, Hypehat did. Plus, I don't give a sh*t whether you like it or not. See, the hate you send out does return to you or was that a smile?

I didn't notice any of the posts before yours being full of hate. I simply expressed my own opinion that I don't want them to get back together again and the reasons why.  You are entitled to your own opinion.

I didn't suppose for a moment that you cared what I thought - I was just pointing out ever so gently that the prayer you post as a signature every single time you post is a little hateful (if not for that line it could be considered to be teasing).  Sometimes hate, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder - you take exception to some things, I take exception to others.

I heard some of God Only Knows this morning from the Blues-fest and Brian seems in really good voice.  

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 29, 2016, 02:56:40 AM »

But I haven't heard any firm reports as to whether Blondie sang *all* of "Funky Pretty" or not. It's weird though, that they bring him out on tour and don't just give him four songs instead of three. He's presumably going to travel the world for 80+ shows to come on stage for three songs per night (plus some encore numbers), so why not just make it four at least?

It seems odd to me that they don't have him on stage for the whole show (or at least the first set), adding backing vocals and guitar since he's there *anyway*. He played and sang on those songs in Beach Boys shows for three years in the 70s, so it's not like he can't do it...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 29, 2016, 05:52:34 AM »

Al sounding great in Sydney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcKpLDuc-mk
Angua
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 29, 2016, 06:42:26 AM »

I'm so glad - Al's voice is amazing.  He sounds as good now as he did at 25.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: March 29, 2016, 07:12:20 AM »

Okey, third try. Anyone interested in keeping this discussion in the 2016 tour thread? As I mentioned, in the future when people want to search this forum for info on the 2016 tour, they're much less likely to find this thread.

The "Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)" was intended for the entire tour. It wasn't a pre-tour discussion thread, or just intended for Europe or North America.

I know there's often cross-discussion for things in multiple threads, especially for tours, but we're getting to the point where there's no discussion of, say, the Sydney show in the actual 21-page tour thread, but there is here. In particular, links to YouTube clips and things like that are PERFECT for the tour thread, and as I said, this thread will drop off into oblivion in the future. I just hate to see the actual tour thread die just as the tour actually starts. It's going to lead to scattered threads for the entire tour.

But I'm not a mod, and my previous posts were pretty much ignored on this topic. I just figured since I started the 2016 tour thread, it might be worth suggesting keeping all the exciting tour discussion to that singular thread as much as possible.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx