gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:12:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472196 times)
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 27, 2016, 07:42:51 PM »

Also, sorry for multi-posting but here is One Kind of Love, I recorded snippets of all the songs so if you have any requests don't hesitate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dq0zv1fyh8&feature=youtu.be
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 27, 2016, 08:55:06 PM »

Brian sounds in good voice, even if a little choppy.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 27, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »

Brian sounds in good voice, even if a little choppy.

Apart from slight hiccups such as the start of OKL he starter most songs strong particularly I thought GOK
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 27, 2016, 09:19:59 PM »

of the course we know the man gets nervous as hell.  It's not that he can't, it's that he gets stage fright too.
even after all these years.  I'm glad a lot of us can cut the guy a little slack.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 27, 2016, 10:32:45 PM »

SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 27, 2016, 10:42:53 PM »

He should have gotten one with a Kiwi!
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 27, 2016, 10:43:38 PM »

'Probably the best song I ever wrote', he confidently announced before singing (beautifully, though the closing round got a bit muddled) 'God Only Knows'.

Interesting (but not surprising) for him to acknowledge that. With all he's done, that is his "best" song in his own opinion.

I agree that Brian seems more confident and happy, even from the Jeff Beck tour I think- which I did see, but haven't seen him since, just judging from videos.
I think Brian's more confident than me now   Shocked
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #557 on: March 28, 2016, 01:28:03 AM »

Bizarre New Zealand Herald review laying into Blondie!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 28, 2016, 01:56:56 AM »

And here it is!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11612499

Guess the reviewer doesn't like those songs. Still a decent review.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 28, 2016, 02:11:30 AM »

I personally prefer Matt over Foskett...  I'm not one of those Foskett haters at all (seems like a great guy and obviously a great singer and support for Brian over the years), but his voice often sounds a bit shrill to me.  I did enjoy hearing him singing DWB during the 2012 tour, but based on the comments here, I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing Matt tackle it! 
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 28, 2016, 02:46:00 AM »

I personally prefer Matt over Foskett...  I'm not one of those Foskett haters at all (seems like a great guy and obviously a great singer and support for Brian over the years), but his voice often sounds a bit shrill to me.  I did enjoy hearing him singing DWB during the 2012 tour, but based on the comments here, I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing Matt tackle it! 

Matt really was superb, patient and didn't seem imposing in the songs. I agree with Foskett being a tad shrill but even he is in his 50's so the strain of the falsetto may be setting in (even tho I suppose Matt is 48!)
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 28, 2016, 03:39:00 AM »

If there was a photo of Al with a kiwi (as in the bird variety) it would look something like this.

Dark.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 04:00:16 AM by bonnie bella » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 28, 2016, 04:29:45 AM »

Three Beach Boys and a Beach Boy's son. It's not THE Beach Boys but it's the closest we can get.

Sort of a... Beach Boys Family & Friends?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 28, 2016, 04:41:06 AM »

Brian has the best group thing going at the moment, but if both camps could just pull it together. damn!
they are even doing a similar setlist these days.  Brian has incorporated the car/surf hits, and Mike has included
deeper and rare cuts.  They are almost on the same plane that it's not even funny.  I wish politics and money
had nothing to do with these groups, because together with Bruce included, these guys could do stellar things again.
Brian with Al and Blondie
Mike with Bruce.
damn guys! 
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 28, 2016, 06:13:14 AM »

Brian has the best group thing going at the moment, but if both camps could just pull it together. damn!
they are even doing a similar setlist these days.  Brian has incorporated the car/surf hits, and Mike has included
deeper and rare cuts.  They are almost on the same plane that it's not even funny.  I wish politics and money
had nothing to do with these groups, because together with Bruce included, these guys could do stellar things again.
Mike with Bruce.
damn guys! 

It isn't my decision of course but I don't see why Brian needs to get back together with Mike and Bruce. Brian has an excellent band and at the moment two other Beach Boys and the son of Al Jardine are touring with him. It isn't just about politics - it's about how well these people manage to get on together and on past experience, things go wrong and they did last time. I don't see what either Mike or Bruce could add to Brian's shows other than the knowledge that most of the surviving Beach Boys were back together again.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 28, 2016, 06:29:52 AM »

Mike with Bruce.
damn guys! 

It isn't my decision of course but I don't see why Brian needs to get back together with Mike and Bruce. Brian has an excellent band and at the moment two other Beach Boys and the son of Al Jardine are touring with him. It isn't just about politics - it's about how well these people manage to get on together and on past experience, things go wrong and they did last time. I don't see what either Mike or Bruce could add to Brian's shows other than the knowledge that most of the surviving Beach Boys were back together again.

You're exactly right, Ang, myKe and Br00th have nothing to add to Brian's band-nothing but their baggage. Of course, if they'd turn over the name to Brian with the promise to go away...

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Angua
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 28, 2016, 06:42:43 AM »

Mike with Bruce.
damn guys! 

They do stellar things without Mike and Bruce.  In fact I think that Mike and Bruce's interpretation lowers the quality.  

I have absolutely zero interest in seeing Mike and Bruce ever again.  Even if Brian wanted to and there were no 'political' problems it would reduce my enjoyment, not least of all because you don't know how it would all go wrong again.  Last time there was little sign of them enjoying each other's company - before the show they were waiting in the wings, separate from each other and not talking.  On stage there was a good bit of sniping.  Whereas with Brian's band they make it clear that they feel respect for Brian and show him support.

Sorry but I'm not going to mince my words on this issue any longer.  I want to make it clear to Brian and his management that they shouldn't get together with them on my account.  I hope everyone who feels the same way will make their feelings clear too.  Those in favour have been banging on about it for years so it's time those of us who are not should stand up and be counted.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 28, 2016, 06:47:37 AM »

Three Beach Boys and a Beach Boy's son. It's not THE Beach Boys but it's the closest we can get.

Sort of a... Beach Boys Family & Friends?

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Cheers Jon! You're right... but I suppose they couldn't use that name without being taken to task for it!

Never mind - what's in a name? as Shakespeare once wrote. The name Brian Wilson sounds good enough to me!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #568 on: March 28, 2016, 07:13:09 AM »

Bizarre New Zealand Herald review laying into Blondie!

I don't agree with the comments about Blondie, and there are several tells that the reviewer isn't a super knowledgeable fan ("Wild Honey" isn't a 70s song, and I really question the painfully obvious "Brian's voice isn't what it used to be" commentaries after nearly 17 years of solo touring and really at least 40 years of Brian's "new", "non-youthful-falsetto" voice, including several "down under" tours; it's not as if he's never been to the New Zealand/Australia region since 1964).

But I can see how certain types of BB/BW fans might not be into Blondie's thing. It's very different from what you usually see in a Brian show. I think it's great, and Blondie kicks the entire band in the ass a little bit and injects energy into the whole thing (and not just his songs; his mere presence on the tours I think rejuvenates them a little bit). But if you're pretty exclusively into Brian's lush, meticulous arrangements, I can see how an extended Blondie guitar solo might not be your thing. His voice is also an acquired taste. I heard people walking away from the venue after the show opening night of the 2015 tour complaining about Blondie's voice (which, while I love Brian too, is a bit "rich" of a complaint coming from someone who thinks Brian's voice is pristine).  Again, I think it's great and for the first time *since* Blondie's time in the band, some BB-related band is *finally* doing something to represent one of the band's most-celebrated periods. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 28, 2016, 07:15:49 AM »

I actually agree. Mike and Bruce do a great show. Brian and Al do a great show. They both have superb bands. We get to choose which to see, or get to see both if we want to. There are obviously personal problems between various of the principals, and they're in their seventies now and those problems are unlikely to change. I don't want to force a bunch of old men who don't get on (or whose wives don't get on, or whatever the personal problems between them actually are) to work together unhappily.

If they did get back together, obviously I'd go and see them, but I'd only want them to do that if it would make them all happier than being apart does, and I don't see that ever happening. And I'm not particularly upset by that.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: March 28, 2016, 07:24:44 AM »

Matt really was superb, patient and didn't seem imposing in the songs. I agree with Foskett being a tad shrill but even he is in his 50's so the strain of the falsetto may be setting in (even tho I suppose Matt is 48!)

I think these veteran falsetto guys like Matt Jardine and Foskett are impressive in their longevity, singing falsetto parts in their original key into the 50s (or near 50s). Nobody in the BBs barring Al Jardine really kept anything approaching their original voice intact past age 50. Carl sang great to the end, but his voice was a somewhat different type of great by the 90s. Bruce could still continue to hit high notes, but developed the rasp thing for whatever reason.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 28, 2016, 07:57:49 AM »

Mike with Bruce.
damn guys! 

They do stellar things without Mike and Bruce.  In fact I think that Mike and Bruce's interpretation lowers the quality.  

I have absolutely zero interest in seeing Mike and Bruce ever again.  Even if Brian wanted to and there were no 'political' problems it would reduce my enjoyment, not least of all because you don't know how it would all go wrong again.  Last time there was little sign of them enjoying each other's company - before the show they were waiting in the wings, separate from each other and not talking.  On stage there was a good bit of sniping.  Whereas with Brian's band they make it clear that they feel respect for Brian and show him support.

Sorry but I'm not going to mince my words on this issue any longer.  I want to make it clear to Brian and his management that they shouldn't get together with them on my account.  I hope everyone who feels the same way will make their feelings clear too.  Those in favour have been banging on about it for years so it's time those of us who are not should stand up and be counted.

I've loved Brian's band since the beginning, and like many others have traveled a few continents to see them over the years.  Remarkably, now this band is the best it's ever been and Brian is clearly loving it.  I'm another person who has no desire to see that change.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 28, 2016, 08:50:55 AM »

Mike with Bruce.
damn guys! 

High Five High Five

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 28, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »

Mike with Bruce.
damn guys! 

They do stellar things without Mike and Bruce.  In fact I think that Mike and Bruce's interpretation lowers the quality. 

I have absolutely zero interest in seeing Mike and Bruce ever again.  Even if Brian wanted to and there were no 'political' problems it would reduce my enjoyment, not least of all because you don't know how it would all go wrong again.  Last time there was little sign of them enjoying each other's company - before the show they were waiting in the wings, separate from each other and not talking.  On stage there was a good bit of sniping.  Whereas with Brian's band they make it clear that they feel respect for Brian and show him support.

Sorry but I'm not going to mince my words on this issue any longer.  I want to make it clear to Brian and his management that they shouldn't get together with them on my account.  I hope everyone who feels the same way will make their feelings clear too.  Those in favour have been banging on about it for years so it's time those of us who are not should stand up and be counted.
Honestly, all the hate in here has really rubbed off on me. Anymore, I don't care what they do together or apart. This place has made me sick to death of the entire Beach Boys thing. I have no desire to see any of them anymore. Since the new year, I have hardly played any of their music. If that was effect and affect you guys are going for; it worked! Never in my wildest dreams would I expect a Beach Boys fan board to turn me off to my ex-favorite band. Well done, people.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.