gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:00:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472149 times)
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 27, 2016, 01:43:41 AM »

Check out Blondie rocking it out! 

https://youtu.be/zCZLAgFAhIY

kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 27, 2016, 02:00:40 AM »

Snap. Corrected, as above.

Audience taken by surprise don't you think? Wink

I was downstairs and heck yes, the collective gasps all around me when Matt started DWB were quite staggering. I heard Matt several times in the late 80's and early 90's and I don't think he's lost anything.
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 27, 2016, 02:03:14 AM »

Listening to the audience reaction that clip says it all.

Blew me away.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 27, 2016, 02:06:28 AM »

Listening to the audience reaction that clip says it all.

Blew me away.

He absolutely nailed it, I've always preferred him over Foskett (not saying Foskett was anything to scoff at of course)
The_Holy_Bee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 27, 2016, 02:12:31 AM »

Hi guys, Funky Pretty and Kiwi Surfer have it pretty much covered but a couple of my own reactions to last night's show:

I thought Brian was, indeed, pretty relaxed and into it (for Brian). I last saw him at the very end of the 2004 Smile Tour, when they did comedy bits with the band in the first set and any onstage banter from Brian seemed scripted and occasionally reluctant. Last night, as he and Al struggled to define 'In My Room' and 'You Still Believe In Me' (settling, in the first instance, for a 'very pretty rock ballad' and, in the second, as somewhere between a 'ballad' and a (soft?) rock ballad) his comments seemed much more natural and unrehearsed. A lot less of what one of the band members once described to me as Brian's 'Sinatra moments' - 'Oh YEAH!'s and 'Rock ON's - and the trademark arm movements were comparatively restrained. Compared to twelve years ago, Brian seemed to me much more comfortable - and indeed, quite keen on - being recognised as the leader of the band, the man in the centre of things. 'Probably the best song I ever wrote', he confidently announced before singing (beautifully, though the closing round got a bit muddled) 'God Only Knows'.

This said - and perhaps because of a renewed (post-2012?) sense of place and purpose on the stage - I thought I felt a couple of moments of tension in Brian when other players pulled focus. During Blondie's strutting and soloing, for instance, Brian went quite slack; and this isn't just a result, I think, of his physical manner when not singing or playing the keys, because during the two Pet Sounds instrumentals he stayed much more erect and alert, appearing to engage with the music even while not actually playing on it. And there was a strange, slightly manic laugh during the opening verse of 'Don't Talk' which I thought might have been a reaction to a lack of applause to his previous (very committed) vocal on 'It's Not Me'. (It wasn't that the audience didn't enjoy the number, it just segued directly into 'Don't' and people weren't sure if they were meant to applaud. Same thing happened to Al at the end of 'Wake the World'.) A couple of the hand offs from Brian to Matt for the high parts seemed a bit terse too, but this was probably just a result of it being the first concert of the tour, and will be smoothed out in coming weeks. (Speaking of which, Brian did do a couple of lines in WIBN, I think the beginning of the bridge.)

But that stuff is nothing, really. When Brian was good (and he very often was, and sometimes very good), I thought he sang with a confidence and verve and sensitivity that exceeded what I heard from him over a decade ago. 'I Just Wasn't Made for These Times' was hugely moving. His rock and roll voice on 'I Get Around' was great. 'Heroes' - with Bicycle Rider! - was astonishing. GOK, as I said above, was spine-tingling in places, and 'One Kind of Love' and 'Love and Mercy'' genuinely beautiful. And the band, of course, was incredible as always, not only musically but in the pure love they showed to each other, Brian, Al and Blondie. Jokes and grooving and hugs throughout. A particular favourite moment: Nelson's grinning glee as he squeezed the bicycle horn at the end of 'You Still Believe in Me'.

Let's put it this way: I'm That Sort of Person who loathes 'Barbara Ann' with all of my being. After two hours in the company of these amazing musicians, I was singing along and jiving like a maniac to every 'Ba-Ba-Ba'.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and wanna follow what others have said before me: both Jardines were, of course, phenomenal.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:09:36 AM by The_Holy_Bee » Logged
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 27, 2016, 02:18:28 AM »

One for you Funky Pretty.  Wish I'd got the whole song

https://youtu.be/igVmT7Zy0aw
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 02:41:24 AM by bonnie bella » Logged
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 27, 2016, 02:22:57 AM »

Let's put it this way: I'm That Sort of Person who loathes 'Barbara Ann' with all of my being. After two hours in the company of these amazing musicians, I was singing along and jiving like a maniac to every 'Ba-Ba-Ba'.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and wanna follow what others have said before me: both Jardines were, of course, phenomenal.

Exactly the same re Barbara Ann, possibly my least favourite BB song. One Kind of Love, L&M and Don't Talk were sung with such strong conviction from Brian it was beautiful. He really did seem to be trying to make a great start to the tour!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: March 27, 2016, 05:26:58 AM »

My utter loathing for "Barbara-f******-Ann" is well known in these circles, and eclipsed only by my hatred of that twat Morrissey.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 27, 2016, 05:56:35 AM »

Tour merchandise up on BW.com

http://brianwilson.shop.livenation.com/store/
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 27, 2016, 06:01:46 AM »

It's so exciting hearing the reports from Auckland, from the "young'uns".

Now on to Australia, where it's turning to Monday now. Learning the differences in time zones from US Central Time-  18 hours difference from Auckland, 16 hours from Byron Bay and Sydney. He goes on around 18.45 today (Monday)

Keep the reports coming. Looking forward to seeing them next month. Will even happily endure 'Barbara Ann'!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:03:18 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 27, 2016, 07:38:52 AM »

It was everything I'd ever dreamed. Brian was amazing, Al was back in 1965, Matt blew the roof off. I am now an official Blondie disciple. Nothing can top that ever. For those curious aside from Pet Sounds they played:

Wake the World
Honkin Down The Highway
Funky Pretty
Wild Honey
In My Room
Don't Worry Baby (Matt)
Shut Down (Al)
Little Deuce (Al)
Barbara Ann
All Summer Long
California Girls
GV
Heroes and Villains (Bicycle Rider)
Our Prayer (Opened the show, I wept)
Love and Mercy
Surfin USA
One Kind of Love
I Get Around

This is the band that should be called The Beach Boys. They play BB's music and 3 of the core guys are there. It's not a BW solo show, not with Al and Blondie there, and they're not playing BW solo tracks.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhh!

Oops - how did I miss that quote!?  Thanks OSD.  This band is glorious - saw them last July.  I can't imagine anyone coming close.  And I'm serious.  Look at all the actual BBs who still have talent and make music on this stage, with the family organic sound - gorgeous vocals.  I'm thrilled with this and can't wait to see all the shows I booked.

Ain't Nothin' Like The Real Thing, huh Deb?? Now, about that license...

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 27, 2016, 08:05:59 AM »

Three Beach Boys and a Beach Boy's son. It's not THE Beach Boys but it's the closest we can get.

Thanks to those who've posted reviews!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:09:18 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 27, 2016, 08:12:13 AM »

I need to see this tour! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 27, 2016, 10:01:23 AM »

Wow! In Auckland the program was $20 and the poster $10 I believe. (About 15 and 7 US)

SurferDownUnder. Row S dead centre. Could see Brian's foot tapping.

Bonnie. Thanks again for the clips.

Holy Bee. Yes it was a bit of a work in progress on the night, but as someone else said it was proof that this was a real band and not some backing track. I loved it as those guys switched instruments between songs and called out 'l'm not ready yet' or 'Wait' as they moved around.
Not sure about the comment about Brian and Blondie. Looking at clips from past shows he looks disinterested during WH etc but he is still on the tour so who knows?

We knew how good Matt was but I think when Al introduced him most in the audience thought 'Aawwww how nice, he's got his son with him. Oh and he's aloud to sing a song too. Ain't that cute....' until they realised 'Holy Crap...This guy CAN sing! LOL
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 27, 2016, 11:00:54 AM »

Is there still going to be a Chicago show?
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: March 27, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »

You know, I was so absorbed I didn't even notice the rest of the audience!

Yes, thanks again, Bonnie.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 27, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »

Wow! In Auckland the program was $20 and the poster $10 I believe. (About 15 and 7 US)

Holy Bee. Yes it was a bit of a work in progress on the night, but as someone else said it was proof that this was a real band and not some backing track. I loved it as those guys switched instruments between songs and called out 'l'm not ready yet' or 'Wait' as they moved around.
Not sure about the comment about Brian and Blondie. Looking at clips from past shows he looks disinterested during WH etc but he is still on the tour so who knows?

We knew how good Matt was but I think when Al introduced him most in the audience thought 'Aawwww how nice, he's got his son with him. Oh and he's aloud to sing a song too. Ain't that cute....' until they realised 'Holy Crap...This guy CAN sing! LOL

You know I love you guys, but I kind of think that there's one thing that's obvious - the mutual respect that Brian and Blondie have for each other, as they've stated publicly, and with the fact that Brian hired Blondie to do this tour after touring with him last year, and that Blondie - a very "in demand" guy - agreed to do it.  If Brian didn't love what Blondie does, he wouldn't have him in his band, and if Blondie didn't love what Brian does, he has lots of other offers.  I said it several pages back, but I'll repeat it, Brian often sits "stone faced" when he's listening to music because he's listening and that's how he looks when that happens - he's serious about music.  I've seen him listening to his favorite records doing the exact same thing.  It's him. 
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 27, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »

Thank You Debbie!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: March 27, 2016, 12:07:25 PM »

You know I love you guys, but I kind of think that there's one thing that's obvious - the mutual respect that Brian and Blondie have for each other, as they've stated publicly, and with the fact that Brian hired Blondie to do this tour after touring with him last year, and that Blondie - a very "in demand" guy - agreed to do it.  If Brian didn't love what Blondie does, he wouldn't have him in his band, and if Blondie didn't love what Brian does, he has lots of other offers.  I said it several pages back, but I'll repeat it, Brian often sits "stone faced" when he's listening to music because he's listening and that's how he looks when that happens - he's serious about music.  I've seen him listening to his favorite records doing the exact same thing.  It's him. 

My daughter does the same thing...I asked her about it, and she was like 'cause I get inside the music, that's why...it's like I go somewhere else, just me and the music'.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The_Holy_Bee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 27, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »

Pretty Funky, Debbie - I definitely felt Brian was very happy to have Blondie on tour with them. If he wasn't, after all, why would Blondie be? It was only during the extended guitar soloing I suspected any tension, and absolutely that's just my interpretation. Very probably wrong.

Also, I thought Blondie was absolutely brilliant as well. Really dug 'Pretty Funky', which I didn't expect. Should have mentioned that above.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 27, 2016, 03:20:26 PM »

My daughter does the same thing...I asked her about it, and she was like 'cause I get inside the music, that's why...it's like I go somewhere else, just me and the music'.

Billy - Bingo!  You got it.
srv1303
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 27, 2016, 04:19:21 PM »

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Going to the Vegas and SF shows. Beyond excited. Thanks for the video links, July 1st can't come soon enough!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: March 27, 2016, 05:33:31 PM »

Is there still going to be a Chicago show?

July 16th, Pitchfork Festival.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 27, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »

http://imgur.com/zvzYS9B

http://imgur.com/CBVlQdS

This is what my T-Shirt looks like if anyone is interested!
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 27, 2016, 07:18:54 PM »

Also a top down view of the stage set-up I took

http://imgur.com/iS0YG9R
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx