gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:52:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472157 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 26, 2016, 08:02:25 PM »

amazed that BW is still doing this and glad he has the support of that fantastic vocal and musical crew.     glad for those of you who are able to see this level of excellence from BW and company.    I've had the good fortune of seeing BW and many of these people several times since 2000 at the original PS tours.    I may never get to experience that again but so glad some of you are able to experience this at this late date
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 26, 2016, 08:06:04 PM »

amazed that BW is still doing this and glad he has the support of that fantastic vocal and musical crew.     glad for those of you who are able to see this level of excellence from BW and company.    I've had the good fortune of seeing BW and many of these people several times since 2000 at the original PS tours.    I may never get to experience that again but so glad some of you are able to experience this at this late date

I'm glad we all get to see Brian!! Who would have guessed this back in 1980?!!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 26, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »

who would have guessed back in 1990?
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 26, 2016, 08:45:42 PM »

It'll be interesting to see how much of the PS leads Brian hands off to others on the upcoming tour. Foskett sang "Don't Talk" in its original key on its few 2013 performances. Will Matt sing it in the original key on the upcoming tour? Or will they lower it and have Brian sing it as he did in the past? Will Matt sing WIBN, or will Al? Or Brian? Will Matt fill in some falsetto bits (e.g the end of "Caroline, No")?

Not guaranteed definitive but from memory...

'Don't Talk'     Brian and Matt
'WIBN'           Matt
'Sloop'             Al
'Caroline'        Brian only

others

'Believe'         Brian and Matt
'Thats Not'     Brian and Matt
'Waiting'        Brian and Matt
'GOK'             Brian only
'I Know'         Brian only?
'I Just Wasn't' Brian and Matt (Al during final exchange)

As my wife said, he was doing "God' and 'Caroline' solo no matter what!

I was fairly sure I heard Al sing a verse in I Know There's An Answer?

You'd think they'd have Al sing on IKTAA, as he sings on the original, and he should be able to hit the high notes. 

Also, I wonder if Al is singing all of 'Sloop,' or alternating with Brian?
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 26, 2016, 08:50:09 PM »

Anyway, pretty awesome setlist.  I really hope that 'Honkin' Down the Highway,' 'and 'Wake The World' in particular, makes it to the Japan shows. 

If that's the setlist they end up playing, I'm going to be very happy--about the only thing I could ask for is 'Surf's Up,' 'California Saga' and one of the songs on side two of 'Today.'  But I suppose with two songs from 'Holland' already, having 'California Saga:  California' in there would be a bit much.

Also, it seems that they are really concentrating on stuff Brian wrote or co-wrote, hence we aren't getting stuff like 'California' or 'Leaving This Town.' 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 26, 2016, 08:52:14 PM »

Anyway, pretty awesome setlist.  I really hope that 'Honkin' Down the Highway,' 'and 'Wake The World' in particular, makes it to the Japan shows. 

If that's the setlist they end up playing, I'm going to be very happy--about the only thing I could ask for is 'Surf's Up,' 'California Saga' and one of the songs on side two of 'Today.'  But I suppose with two songs from 'Holland' already, having 'California Saga:  California' in there would be a bit much.

Also, it seems that they are really concentrating on stuff Brian wrote or co-wrote, hence we aren't getting stuff like 'California' or 'Leaving This Town.' 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if any of the songs you mentioned pop-up at some point in the tour, or even become regulars!
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 26, 2016, 09:10:13 PM »

Civic Theatre review

http://13thfloor.co.nz/reviews/concert-reviews/brian-wilson-civic-theatre-march-26-2016/
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 26, 2016, 09:27:20 PM »

Great review I thought. I was a bit worried that Brian might have gotten a poor review by some here in NZ that were unaware of his style, heard some murmurs throughout the crowd from casual listeners who seemed confused by his stop and start piano playing. Nevermind tho I loved it as I knew I would and its gotten some great reviews :D
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 26, 2016, 09:30:59 PM »

who would have guessed back in 1990?

Quite true! Gah I honestly haven't felt this fulfilled in a long time! What an experience  angel
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 26, 2016, 09:33:39 PM »

It'll be interesting to see how much of the PS leads Brian hands off to others on the upcoming tour. Foskett sang "Don't Talk" in its original key on its few 2013 performances. Will Matt sing it in the original key on the upcoming tour? Or will they lower it and have Brian sing it as he did in the past? Will Matt sing WIBN, or will Al? Or Brian? Will Matt fill in some falsetto bits (e.g the end of "Caroline, No")?

'Don't Talk'     Brian and Matt
'WIBN'           Matt
'Sloop'             Al
'Caroline'        Brian only

others

'Believe'         Brian and Matt
'Thats Not'     Brian and Matt
'Waiting'        Brian and Matt
'GOK'             Brian only
'I Know'         Brian only?

Damned if I can remember! Al started it  (Sloop) which surprised and threw me. Was expecting Brian. Will have to see if any YouTube clips appear.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:34:49 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 26, 2016, 09:34:36 PM »

'Don't Talk'     Brian and Matt
'WIBN'           Matt
'Sloop'             Al
'Caroline'        Brian only

others

'Believe'         Brian and Matt
'Thats Not'     Brian and Matt
'Waiting'        Brian and Matt
'GOK'             Brian only
'I Know'         Brian only?

Damned if I can remember! Al started it which surprised and threw me. Was expecting Brian. Will have to see if any YouTube clips appear.

I have a video of the start of every song and bits and pieces of others I took from my phone. I'll post them at some point!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 26, 2016, 09:37:05 PM »

Pretty much the way I saw it. Pleased for the group that it's positive.

Some more clips.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLnzIZIYt8BIvg8WvyH7ZmjcXHBZBRJ8m
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:39:49 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 26, 2016, 09:37:37 PM »

I know!  Shocked  It's Brian F&n! Wilson!
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 26, 2016, 10:42:28 PM »

Two questions:
1. Was Beaumont the Giraffe on stage?
2. What's the merch like?

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 26, 2016, 11:25:39 PM »

1 No
2 Check out the BW.com thread  ' Auckland Show Setlist Plus Photos'

http://www.brianwilson.com/community/

kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 27, 2016, 12:16:47 AM »

Another, somewhat less informed, review.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11612499

While Funky Pretty has never done much for me and last night did nothing to change my mind, Wild Honey was an absolute highlight and Sail On Sailor wasn't far behind. The early 20s hipster in front of me audibly gasped when he heard the first note and had to wipe some tears away.

A few observations. I have seen Brian 6 or 7 times solo and around 10 times with the Beach Boys and I have never seen him so relaxed and dare I say, so happy.

There were lots of teens and 20 something's and they were right into it. Very knowledgeable and respectful too.

The merchandise stall had queues before, during and at least 30 minutes after the show. I wanted a Help Me Rhonda shirt but couldn't be bothered standing in line for so long.

From where I was the theatre appeared full (2300 plus) and ticket prices were the equivalent of around $135 US. They say the UK audiences are hip, well I reckon NZ and Australian audiences are too.

Don't Worry Baby was simply breath taking.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:22:03 AM by kiwi surfer » Logged
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 27, 2016, 12:31:27 AM »

Another, somewhat less informed, review.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11612499

While Funky Pretty has never done much for me and last night did nothing to change my mind, Wild Honey was an absolute highlight and Sail On Sailor wasn't far behind. The early 20s hipster in front of me audibly gasped when he heard the first note and had to wipe some tears away.

A few observations. I have seen Brian 6 or 7 times solo and around 10 times with the Beach Boys and I have never seen him so relaxed and dare I say, so happy.

There were lots of teens and 20 something's and they were right into it. Very knowledgeable and respectful too.

The merchandise stall had queues before, during and at least 30 minutes after the show. I wanted a Help Me Rhonda shirt but couldn't be bothered standing in line for so long.

From where I was the theatre appeared full (2300 plus) and ticket prices were the equivalent of around $135 US. They say the UK audiences are hip, well I reckon NZ and Australian audiences are too.

Don't Worry Baby was simply breath taking.

All this and more!! I got a t-shirt and a poster (no Help Me Rhonda shirt although I wanted one!) I also may have been that early 20's hipster Tongue
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 27, 2016, 12:34:22 AM »

When they started with Our Prayer I was holding back tears my lord
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 27, 2016, 12:36:17 AM »

Incredible experience alright Surfer.  I'm still coming down from the total thrill of it all.

Big thanks to Brian and the boys for starting the tour here in paradise.   Smiley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 27, 2016, 01:10:44 AM »

Hey Bonnie. Thanks for uploading those clips. Don't suppose you got Matt doing DWB?

edit: Oops. Got it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUkYZc6eKhs
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:13:30 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 27, 2016, 01:13:34 AM »

Matt was amazing
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:17:06 AM by bonnie bella » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 27, 2016, 01:16:28 AM »

Snap. Corrected, as above.

Audience taken by surprise don't you think? Wink
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 27, 2016, 01:21:13 AM »

You know, I was so absorbed I didn't even notice the rest of the audience!

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 27, 2016, 01:27:57 AM »

I was up in the gods and heard the crowd go off up there.

Also a correction to my PS leads thanks to you. 'Thats Not Me' Brian only I think. Not a shared lead with Matt as I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqH32CmXVmg
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 27, 2016, 01:37:09 AM »

I was up in the gods and heard the crowd go off up there.

Also a correction to my PS leads thanks to you. 'Thats Not Me' Brian only I think. Not a shared lead with Matt as I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqH32CmXVmg

Where abouts PF? I was also up top, also an emotional hipsterish looking early 20's year old!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx