gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:28:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472198 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: March 26, 2016, 03:47:03 AM »

As mentioned elsewhere, the not went to "Wild Honey" for this show. But very cool that "Leaving this Town" is in the rotation.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 26, 2016, 03:54:02 AM »

Oh I'm so happy for you! And so glad that the tour got off to a wonderful start.

Will be seeing BW and co. in a little over a month - getting giddy already.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 26, 2016, 03:54:09 AM »

Ok. First show is done and dusted. A few quick notes before hitting the sack.

Opened with Prayer/ Heroes.
First half ended with Blondie hat- trick. Funky Pretty, Honey, SOS. No PS until second half so initial publicity of it being first half ditched. Also in first 'Honkin'. Good. but more volume needed on Als mic. FP good and Blondie called out "Its getting there!" Audience blown away by Matt doing DWB. Also a WTF was that with Blondie's set, but in a good way. It was totally unexpected for most.

Second half straight into PS then GV. Exit then encore with band intro. Standard closing songs plus L&M.

Nil NPP songs.
Did 'One Kind Of Love'
Matt and Brian shared leads and did dual leads on the PS songs. Al took a few lines plus Sloop. Blondie wandered on and off with tambourine. Matt on WIBN.
All leads during show by Brian, Al, Matt and Blondie.
I may be wrong but Al looked like he was expecting to sing parts of Add Some Music but Brian did the lot.

I didn't count or make a setlist but about 50 songs. Brian strong. Better than C50, Seemed fresh compared to 04 and the last Smile show for that year.. Al in white suit. Blondie was Blondie. Finally got to see him.

Tour program. Mike and Bruce are gone from the SD zoo shoot. Shame the bad blood has come to this.
Thanked Probyn in the foyer and wished him luck for the rest of the tour.

Thats about it for now. Probably more tomorrow and will look for a setlist from any other sites.
Great show and band as usual.

Edit.

Just noticed a setlist now up. Interesting about 'Town' was an option.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 26, 2016, 03:54:23 AM »

As mentioned elsewhere, the not went to "Wild Honey" for this show. But very cool that "Leaving this Town" is in the rotation.

Yup! It was Wild Honey for tonights show in Auckland. Still a few kinks in songs such as Honkin' and in parts of Wake The World (Al seemed to forget where hes cue to sing was XD )
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 26, 2016, 03:55:14 AM »

Oh I'm so happy for you! And so glad that the tour got off to a wonderful start.

Will be seeing BW and co. in a little over a month - getting giddy already.

Thanks man! It was truly just fantastic. I spent quite a sum to get here and I'd do it 100 times again
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 26, 2016, 03:56:55 AM »

Just noticed a dedicated thread so some notes from me already on the tour thread.

Ok. First show is done and dusted. A few quick notes before hitting the sack.

Opened with Prayer/ Heroes.
First half ended with Blondie hat- trick. Funky Pretty, Honey, SOS. No PS until second half so initial publicity of it being first half ditched. Also in first 'Honkin'. Good. but more volume needed on Als mic. FP good and Blondie called out "Its getting there!" Audience blown away by Matt doing DWB. Also a 'WTF was that?' with Blondie's set, but in a good way. It was totally unexpected for most.

Second half straight into PS then GV. Exit then encore with band intro. Standard closing songs plus L&M.

Nil NPP songs.
Did 'One Kind Of Love'
Matt and Brian shared leads and did dual leads on the PS songs. Al took a few lines plus Sloop. Blondie wandered on and off with tambourine. Matt on WIBN.
I may be wrong but Al looked like he was expecting to sing parts of Add Some Music but Brian did the lot.

I didn't count or make a setlist but about 50 songs. Brian strong. Better than C50, Seemed fresh compared to 04 and the last Smile show for that year.. Al in white suit. Blondie was Blondie. Finally got to see him.

Tour program. Mike and Bruce are gone from the SD zoo shoot. Shame the bad blood has come to this.
Thanked Probyn in the foyer and wished him luck for the rest of the tour.

Thats about it for now. Probably more tomorrow and will look for a setlist from any other sites.
Great show and band as usual.

Edit.

Just noticed a setlist now up. Interesting  'Leaving This Town' was an option. About 40 songs, not 50.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:11:03 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 26, 2016, 04:00:05 AM »

[/quote]

I noticed that too. Al seemed ready to come in on the "At a movie..." But Brian kept going haha  LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 26, 2016, 04:02:07 AM »

great to hear that mate.  anybody missing from the band or any additional members you noticed?

Not that I noticed, Blondie didn't join until Sail On Sailor however (whoops forgot that one!)

Blondie joined at FP. Griffin, but no Scott or Billy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 26, 2016, 04:03:22 AM »

Oh yeah. He was at the mic with his mouth open. LOL
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 26, 2016, 04:06:16 AM »

Oh yeah. He was at the mic with his mouth open. LOL

How great was Blondies guitar work with Nicky tho?!! Good lord that gave the show a serious rock push!
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 26, 2016, 04:07:11 AM »

great to hear that mate.  anybody missing from the band or any additional members you noticed?

Not that I noticed, Blondie didn't join until Sail On Sailor however (whoops forgot that one!)

Blondie joined at FP. Griffin, but no Scott or Billy.

We knew no Billy before the show tho right?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 26, 2016, 04:09:21 AM »

He was at the rehearsal prior to leaving the US, as was Griffin, but I didn't know who was making the trip until tonight.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 26, 2016, 04:11:35 AM »

how long was the gig?
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 26, 2016, 04:11:49 AM »

He was at the rehearsal prior to leaving the US, as was Griffin, but I didn't know who was making the trip until tonight.

Yes quite right. I thought that there might be a playing of "Right Time" seeing as Al was there and they had no other NPP songs. No biggie tho show was epic enough without it!
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 26, 2016, 04:12:22 AM »

how long was the gig?

Roughly 2 hours 15 right Funky?
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 26, 2016, 04:17:53 AM »

Also Al won over my opinion of "Honkin". I really liked it even tho before the concert it was tied for my least favourite Love You track. Kudos  Cheesy
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 26, 2016, 04:18:52 AM »

With the break that sounds about right. Still amazed at Blondie. Wow! What is he, coming up 65? Put the ROCK into Roll tonight.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 26, 2016, 04:25:22 AM »

With the break that sounds about right. Still amazed at Blondie. Wow! What is he, coming up 65? Put the ROCK into Roll tonight.

Legitimate super impressed. All that time with the Stones paid off!! Notice how Brian was completely blank faced as Blondie ripped his solo's while walking around tho?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 26, 2016, 04:42:02 AM »

Thanks to our New Zealand smilers for telling us how awesome the show was! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 26, 2016, 04:51:19 AM »

Thanks to our New Zealand smilers for telling us how awesome the show was! Cool

If tonight was the standard you are going to love it!!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 26, 2016, 05:11:14 AM »

Brian hits the stage in a couple of hours!  New Zealand is the kickoff.  he has a touchdown photo on his website, he is looking pretty cool at 74.
have a good show Bri.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibw6UJzEWXA

does anyone have access to this?

Yes!  Thank you for the heads up!  6h50m to go.

Can anyone easily grab the stream?

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 26, 2016, 05:57:43 AM »

Exactly what I expected going into this...and that is NOT a bad thing! I still think they need to clear out some of those early hits...sure, keep "I Get Around" but the other car songs? Meh...and "Dance, Dance, Dance" has got to go, go, go......

Still, this is incredible that this is happening with these guys in 2016. Wishing them much love and mercy as it is a LONG road ahead this year!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 26, 2016, 07:13:35 AM »

Great, and only six months or so until I get to see this show.

Wait, that's a long time.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 26, 2016, 07:28:54 AM »

Great, and only six months or so until I get to see this show.

Wait, that's a long time.

Imagine how good and tight they'll be then, with Brian more comfortable and settled.  This was the first night and it was amazing, it appears!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 26, 2016, 07:43:17 AM »

Legitimate super impressed. All that time with the Stones paid off!! Notice how Brian was completely blank faced as Blondie ripped his solo's while walking around tho?

Yeah, Brian gets lost in the "listening" sometimes when it isn't his time to perform.  He isn't missing a thing in what's going on musically, and it often shows in his face, well, that way.  I'm pretty glad Brian's skill set is musical genius/genuine presence when he performs.  Brian will never be one of those slickster performers, thank heavens.  He can leave that to a Bill Murray parody.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx