gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:31:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472087 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 21, 2016, 01:39:30 AM »

Just posted a picture of Al with "Hokin' Down the Highway" as part of the caption.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 21, 2016, 03:33:58 AM »

'Funky Pretty' and 'Honkin' Down the Highway' are indeed big news...  I like that weird 1970's stuff!
KDS
« Reply #402 on: March 21, 2016, 05:29:17 AM »

Scott posted a pic of Brian and Al in the studio yesterday and said it was a fun day. So I would wager that he's present.

Looked like Brian got a haircut. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 21, 2016, 06:45:43 AM »

This is really shaping up to be something special...even beyond the Pet Sounds!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: March 21, 2016, 07:23:13 AM »

Scott posted a pic of Brian and Al in the studio yesterday and said it was a fun day. So I would wager that he's present.

My guess as to Gary Griffin's presence would be either that they simply wanted his accordion on some PS songs for the Spotify session, and/or they're having Griffin join in on some rehearsals if indeed he may step in for some of the tour dates due to scheduling conflicts of someone else (most likely presumably Darian or Scott).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 21, 2016, 07:25:48 AM »

I'd like two to three from "Love You", not just Honkin'

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KDS
« Reply #406 on: March 21, 2016, 07:25:52 AM »

I wonder if the giraffe that showed up on the Facebook photos yesterday will be an onstage prop for the tour.  
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 21, 2016, 07:44:31 AM »

Yeah, they should bring back The Night Was So Young, and maybe add in Airplane or Solar System (and maybe Ding Dang, since Brian seems to like that one). But I'm happy to see *anything* from Love You added.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: March 21, 2016, 07:50:22 AM »

Unless the extend the length of the shows quite a bit compared to last year, I wouldn't count on a *ton* of rare, "deep" cuts.

Setlists last year were around 32-33 songs. So that leaves about 20 after PS. I would assume they're probably going to do the "Rhonda/Barbara Ann/Surfin' USA/Fun Fun Fun/Love and Mercy" show closer, or something along those lines (they seem to be quite fond of "All Summer Long" lately as well). So that gets it down to 15 or so, and there are probably a few other likely cuts ("California Girls", one or two Al cuts like "Cottonfields, "Then I Kissed Her, etc., a car song or two, probably at least "One Kind of Love" off of NPP).

But I could see them making the setlist a bit longer, especially if they do break the show up with an intermission.

If they could get to around 40 songs or so, that would leave more room for some "new" deep cuts. But it looks like we're at least going to get a few "new" old songs. I'm still hoping for something weird like "Goin' On" or "Don't Go Near the Water" or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #409 on: March 21, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »

Unless the extend the length of the shows quite a bit compared to last year, I wouldn't count on a *ton* of rare, "deep" cuts.

Setlists last year were around 32-33 songs. So that leaves about 20 after PS. I would assume they're probably going to do the "Rhonda/Barbara Ann/Surfin' USA/Fun Fun Fun/Love and Mercy" show closer, or something along those lines (they seem to be quite fond of "All Summer Long" lately as well). So that gets it down to 15 or so, and there are probably a few other likely cuts ("California Girls", one or two Al cuts like "Cottonfields, "Then I Kissed Her, etc., a car song or two, probably at least "One Kind of Love" off of NPP).

But I could see them making the setlist a bit longer, especially if they do break the show up with an intermission.

If they could get to around 40 songs or so, that would leave more room for some "new" deep cuts. But it looks like we're at least going to get a few "new" old songs. I'm still hoping for something weird like "Goin' On" or "Don't Go Near the Water" or something.

Don't forget the Blondie portion of the set which will likely include an extended Wild Honey.   I also figure Heroes and Villains and Darlin will remain.

I wouldn't mind trimming some of the car songs (ie. Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down, Drive In) to make room for some more 67-73 material.   I'd love to hear Til I Die make the setlist. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 21, 2016, 09:17:11 AM »

Yeah, they should bring back The Night Was So Young, and maybe add in Airplane or Solar System (and maybe Ding Dang, since Brian seems to like that one). But I'm happy to see *anything* from Love You added.

Oh my, Airplane..

Can you imagine that one live, it would be incredible.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 21, 2016, 03:37:20 PM »

What I'm hoping -- though not necessarily expecting -- is that we get something closer to the fifty-odd song setlists that Brian did when he toured Pet Sounds in 2002

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 21, 2016, 04:21:19 PM »

I really hope they drop a lot of those early songs. They just don't go off with Brian's voice these days and they are so down tempo you can't even clap to them...Little Deuce Coupe was a total drag in November. That being said, the deeper early tracks (or one's without a Mike Love lead) do sound superb with this band, and obviously anything post Pet Sounds is spot on. I just wish they'd focus on that more. Any fans coming out for a full-fledged "Pet Sounds" performance are probably way more interested in the material that succeeds the album rather than precedes the album. I'll be shocked if they keep the "No Pier Pressure" songs around for this run.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: March 21, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »

I don't mind a duo or trio of car songs, like "I Get Around" and "Little Deuce Coupe" and/or "Shut Down." I like the idea of those more as a way to throw Al a few leads. But if they give him some other leads, they could dispense with another of these.

Thing is, I think they still did some "meat and potatoes" numbers last year because the tour was perhaps pitched to a slightly more broad audience where they would feel they have to do some of those "meat and potatoes" tracks.

But a PS tour is clearly tuned more towards the hardcore/indie/hipster/nerd fans, so I'm hoping they can dispense with any pretense that this isn't a "deep cuts" crowd. Either way, they still end up doing some "recognizable" songs. California Girls, Good Vibrations, the final four of five "encore" songs, etc.

It'll be interesting to see what survives from the NPP album. I'd guess "One Kind of Love" is quite possible, and maybe not much else. Certainly "Sail Away" and "The Right Time" might still make the cut, but perhaps they'll replace those with "Honkin'" and "Funky Pretty."

thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 21, 2016, 08:06:01 PM »

http://iconosquare.com/p/1184139975131254831_183520627 A clip from Carnie Wilson's instagram of honkin rehearsals.

edit: I just noticed how old that was. It was from a month ago.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:07:48 PM by thatjacob » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 22, 2016, 01:15:04 AM »

http://iconosquare.com/p/1184139975131254831_183520627 A clip from Carnie Wilson's instagram of honkin rehearsals.

edit: I just noticed how old that was. It was from a month ago.

Yeah, that'll be rehearsals for the Wild Honey tribute show, where Al also did that one..

GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 22, 2016, 05:04:24 AM »

Again, on FB pictures from rehearsels with Gary Griffin and Billy Hinsche, but no Scott Bennett...
KDS
« Reply #417 on: March 22, 2016, 05:28:35 AM »

I don't mind a duo or trio of car songs, like "I Get Around" and "Little Deuce Coupe" and/or "Shut Down." I like the idea of those more as a way to throw Al a few leads. But if they give him some other leads, they could dispense with another of these.

Thing is, I think they still did some "meat and potatoes" numbers last year because the tour was perhaps pitched to a slightly more broad audience where they would feel they have to do some of those "meat and potatoes" tracks.

But a PS tour is clearly tuned more towards the hardcore/indie/hipster/nerd fans, so I'm hoping they can dispense with any pretense that this isn't a "deep cuts" crowd. Either way, they still end up doing some "recognizable" songs. California Girls, Good Vibrations, the final four of five "encore" songs, etc.

It'll be interesting to see what survives from the NPP album. I'd guess "One Kind of Love" is quite possible, and maybe not much else. Certainly "Sail Away" and "The Right Time" might still make the cut, but perhaps they'll replace those with "Honkin'" and "Funky Pretty."

From NPP, I would imagine Sail Away still makes the setlist since it features Blondie. 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 22, 2016, 05:43:31 AM »

Great group* picture - giraffe included - now on Brian's Facebook page. Aaahh, this is going to be great..

*Again sans Bennett.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 22, 2016, 06:35:13 AM »

Given that Scott Bennett posted some rehearsal photos three days ago, and is named in the Billboard piece, I imagine he'll be on at least part of the tour.
Remember that this is by far the longest tour Brian has *ever* done in his solo career, by a long way -- longer than the reunion tour in 2012, even. And a few of Brian's band members were unhappy about that, and being away from family and other commitments for so long, so I imagine the same is true here, too -- especially if, as the Billboard piece suggested, the tour continues into 2017 and includes another European leg.
So it would make sense that there would be some swapping about of musicians as the tour goes on, to give people who need it a break.
(That said, I do hope Scott is on the tour when it hits the UK -- all of the band, including Gary and Billy, are very good musicians and singers, but Scott, Probyn, and Nelson are the best *performers* in the band, and add as much in stage presence as they do in musicianship...)

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: March 22, 2016, 06:41:08 AM »

Given that Scott Bennett posted some rehearsal photos three days ago, and is named in the Billboard piece, I imagine he'll be on at least part of the tour.
Remember that this is by far the longest tour Brian has *ever* done in his solo career, by a long way -- longer than the reunion tour in 2012, even. And a few of Brian's band members were unhappy about that, and being away from family and other commitments for so long, so I imagine the same is true here, too -- especially if, as the Billboard piece suggested, the tour continues into 2017 and includes another European leg.
So it would make sense that there would be some swapping about of musicians as the tour goes on, to give people who need it a break.
(That said, I do hope Scott is on the tour when it hits the UK -- all of the band, including Gary and Billy, are very good musicians and singers, but Scott, Probyn, and Nelson are the best *performers* in the band, and add as much in stage presence as they do in musicianship...)
Yup, that's probably it. Smiley The 'preventative' addition of Billy Hinsche and Garry Griffin also points to that.

This really is a long-a** tour for Brian.... Shocked Rock!

They just posted a picture of Blondie at rehearsal and the caption "Funky Pretty" !!!
Love
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:42:48 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 23, 2016, 11:07:38 PM »

I really hope they drop a lot of those early songs. They just don't go off with Brian's voice these days and they are so down tempo you can't even clap to them...Little Deuce Coupe was a total drag in November. That being said, the deeper early tracks (or one's without a Mike Love lead) do sound superb with this band, and obviously anything post Pet Sounds is spot on. I just wish they'd focus on that more. Any fans coming out for a full-fledged "Pet Sounds" performance are probably way more interested in the material that succeeds the album rather than precedes the album. I'll be shocked if they keep the "No Pier Pressure" songs around for this run.

I agree here.  I hope they don't fill the rest of the show up with those car and surf songs, which to me seeing Brian do know, sounds dated and does not even suit him vocally.  he sounds really bored doing them.  It would be good if he pulled out 'surfer moon' again, or the lower key 'don't worry baby' for Brian to sing. No one can claim this song but Brian, no matter who else tries. 
I'd like to see some of these return from his 2002 Melbourne concert I was at:
You're Welcome
Wonderessence
imagination
til I die
melt away
good timin
little girl I once knew
this whole world
meant for you / friends
Marcella
I was in tears through this concert. hearing these live were really special
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 23, 2016, 11:28:42 PM »

Only two more days til' I see BRIAN WILSON. Pinching myself  Shocked  angel  Grin  Cheesy
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 23, 2016, 11:34:43 PM »

lucky bugger!   full details upon your return ok?
some photo's, how about a setlist as well?  Grin
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 23, 2016, 11:38:04 PM »

lucky bugger!   full details upon your return ok?
some photo's, how about a setlist as well?  Grin

Can do! :D
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx