gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:19:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472224 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: February 16, 2016, 10:03:31 PM »

Not a PS show but a benefit gig.

Jackson Mis April 28

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/life/intune/2016/02/16/beach-boys-brian-wilson-coming-jackson/80469394/
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 16, 2016, 11:23:39 PM »

Does anyone know if the Atlanta show is confirmed to have Blondie and Al as well?
I got an email from the promoter of the concert with presale information and Al and Blondie are definitely on the bill, as expected.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 17, 2016, 07:11:30 AM »

Second row just now Atlanta GA! Sept 9th can not get here soon enuff!

Cook pork throughly
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 17, 2016, 08:47:11 AM »

I ended up buying row L seats during the presale, which is a bummer. They're aisle seats, which is nice, but immediately after purchasing them someone released better tickets from their cart. I'm currently sitting with 3rd row tickets in my cart, but can't decide if it's worth the hassle to attempt to resell the others, since there's been a Groupon type deal on tickets for the past 3 atlanta shows (which kills resale value).
KDS
« Reply #304 on: February 17, 2016, 09:06:36 AM »

I ended up buying row L seats during the presale, which is a bummer. They're aisle seats, which is nice, but immediately after purchasing them someone released better tickets from their cart. I'm currently sitting with 3rd row tickets in my cart, but can't decide if it's worth the hassle to attempt to resell the others, since there's been a Groupon type deal on tickets for the past 3 atlanta shows (which kills resale value).

If you're to the right of the stage (stage left), I would think about sticking with row L.

I'm not sure how that venue is, but I got stage left 2nd row tickets for a fall show, and could only see Brian's forehead above the piano. 
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 17, 2016, 09:27:22 AM »

If you're to the right of the stage (stage left), I would think about sticking with row L.

I'm not sure how that venue is, but I got stage left 2nd row tickets for a fall show, and could only see Brian's forehead above the piano. 

That's what I was afraid of. For now, at least, I'm sticking with Row L. It's a bit further back, but it being an aisle seat is a bit of a plus. I'm probably going to have a few drinks and don't want to be THAT guy that makes an entire row stand up 4 times.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: February 17, 2016, 10:30:09 AM »

I guess I'm just getting old and don't need extra reasons for frazzled nerves. I passed on the first SF show at the Masonic in October due to a mixture of possible schedule conflicts (the main reason), the ridiculous concept of selling tickets to a show nine months in advance, and hoping they'd book a return to the Mountain Winery in Saratoga earlier in the tour in June or July.

But I went ahead and bit for the second (now earlier) show just added at the Masonic. I guess I'll just have to make it work for my schedule come October. I just did the presale on the Live Nation website and got it over with ( LOL ) and got good enough seats. Floor seats are good enough. Balcony always just feels too distanced. I think this will be show #11 (or 12?) for me, going all the way back to 1999 at the Warfield Theatre in SF.

I will say I haven't seen BW tickets eaten up and sold out with this voraciousness in quite some time, if ever. One of the reasons I just secured a couple seats for a show; for whatever reason, even though BW did two shows in the Bay Area in 2015 and neither was a 100% sell out (perhaps pretty close though), he's selling out and doing multiple night runs for this 2016 tour. I guess the "Pet Sounds" theming is really perking up ticket sales.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 17, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »

It turns out the Seattle show sold out before I even realized they went on sale. From anyone's experience, do ticket brokers sometimes drop their prices if the demand isn't as large as they had hoped? It seems bots are buying up as much as they can these days. I am still hoping to get tickets, but the online prices are atrocious.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »

It turns out the Seattle show sold out before I even realized they went on sale. From anyone's experience, do ticket brokers sometimes drop their prices if the demand isn't as large as they had hoped? It seems bots are buying up as much as they can these days. I am still hoping to get tickets, but the online prices are atrocious.

Don’t know how much brokers/scalpers drop prices. If anything, I’ve sometimes seen broker websites leave tickets up for sale *after* the show has occurred, apparently indicating once they have the tickets, they set a price and list them and don’t look at it again.

Maybe individual eBay sellers might be a better shot?

What I have heard is that sometimes at the last minute extra tickets will be put back in circulation at the box office/Ticketmaster (or whatever the online channel is) due to the band members/associates not needing any more of the “comped” tickets that were set aside, and also perhaps any VIP package tickets that were not sold.

But yeah, these dates are selling out with vigor, in some markets anyway. After booking overly-large venues in the UK last year, did Brian perhaps book some cities with overly-small venues? Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather see him in a 3,000 seat theater than a 15,000 seat amphitheater, but demand seems very high on this tour.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 17, 2016, 04:27:01 PM »

Don’t know how much brokers/scalpers drop prices. If anything, I’ve sometimes seen broker websites leave tickets up for sale *after* the show has occurred, apparently indicating once they have the tickets, they set a price and list them and don’t look at it again.

Maybe individual eBay sellers might be a better shot?

What I have heard is that sometimes at the last minute extra tickets will be put back in circulation at the box office/Ticketmaster (or whatever the online channel is) due to the band members/associates not needing any more of the “comped” tickets that were set aside, and also perhaps any VIP package tickets that were not sold.

But yeah, these dates are selling out with vigor, in some markets anyway. After booking overly-large venues in the UK last year, did Brian perhaps book some cities with overly-small venues? Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather see him in a 3,000 seat theater than a 15,000 seat amphitheater, but demand seems very high on this tour.

Thanks Hey Jude. I e-mailed the theatre and they told me there may be some late ticket releases but nothing is guaranteed. I will keep snooping around. I would guess the Pet Sounds tour sells better than greatest hits.
KDS
« Reply #310 on: February 18, 2016, 06:32:52 AM »

I wonder if there's a possibility of shows being moved to nearby bigger venues due to higher than expected demand. 

I remember when Roger Waters announced his 1999 Tour, his first in 12 years, he was slated to play Pier 6 in Baltimore, but the demand was so high, the show was relocated to the Baltimore Arena.  Turned out to the a good thing as it rained cats and dogs that night. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: February 18, 2016, 07:30:53 AM »

Total guess, but I would think the team booking this tour is using a specific strategy, which is to book moderately-sized, relatively intimate venues, sell tickets far in advance, and have sell outs and overall strong sales even at venues that don't literally sell out. It's a strong guarantee of selling all the tickets, and agents and managers and booking agents love to publicize sell-outs. If you look at some "tour rider" contracts that float around (there are some BB and Jardine riders on the Smoking Gun website I believe), one of the items in the riders you sometimes see is that the venue or booking agency is required to report sell-outs to industry trade publications (e.g. Pollstar).

I don't see them canceling shows and moving to bigger venues (and I'm sure we all prefer more intimate venues). It looks like their strategy is to book second nights in select cities.

beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 19, 2016, 10:32:12 AM »

Brian will be playing Pitchfork Festival in Chicago on July 16th.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
KDS
« Reply #313 on: February 19, 2016, 11:17:07 AM »

Bit the bullet and became a member of the Strathmore so I could get my tickets for Sept 20th.  Seven months and one day!!
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 20, 2016, 08:03:21 AM »

I just got 2 tickets for St Augustine FL Sept 30.

Compared to the last show I went to in Ft Pierce in December, the upcoming show is selling faster in a bigger venue.

Demand is obviously higher for this tour vs the previous one.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 20, 2016, 08:18:20 AM »

Interesting.. I have Detroit tickets for that same day.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 20, 2016, 08:22:17 AM »

I would assume a typo - St. Augustine is Sept 10, Detroit Sept 30.
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 20, 2016, 08:25:33 AM »

I would assume a typo - St. Augustine is Sept 10, Detroit Sept 30.

Yup, Sept. 10. Typing skills !
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 20, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »

Ugh. It would be very difficult to pick a worse place to perform Pet Sounds. It's noisy, likely to be very hot and/or raining (in 2015 they had to evacuate the site due to storms coming in), crowded... what a terrible choice.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 20, 2016, 02:32:38 PM »

Ugh. It would be very difficult to pick a worse place to perform Pet Sounds. It's noisy, likely to be very hot and/or raining (in 2015 they had to evacuate the site due to storms coming in), crowded... what a terrible choice.

I think you're correct in terms of the actual conditions for the sound. But conversely it's a great choice, commercially. It's (yet another) opportunity to reach a young-skewing audience. The Pitchfork Festival is certainly one of the half-dozen or so most influential festivals for youngish crowds of the type who may be most interested in Wilson. I love that every decade or so there seems to be a new generation (or is that a half-generation?) people who seem to connect. If you're an audiophile or even just the kind of guy who'd rather be in a comfortable, smaller theater (ahem, me), the environment will suck. But for some people? Hey, go for it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 20, 2016, 04:11:20 PM »

Yeah, definitely not the best place. Maybe he'll play an indoor Chicago show in October around the Minneapolis date?

I did buy a pass for Pitchfork just to see Brian, but I worry about how the show will go.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: February 20, 2016, 10:14:57 PM »

I'm would imagine they're doing the festival gigs for the cool factor and good press they'll get for doing the shows for the younger-skewing audience. It's a good thing I think, but I'm sure an intimate indoor show would sound better and be a better experience. But the festival gigs serve an interesting purpose. Still blows my mind to hear the Bonnaroo Festival gig from C50 where the audience goes nuts for "Heroes and Villains" more than most of the car/surf songs.

Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 21, 2016, 08:32:42 AM »

I'm would imagine they're doing the festival gigs for the cool factor and good press they'll get for doing the shows for the younger-skewing audience. It's a good thing I think, but I'm sure an intimate indoor show would sound better and be a better experience. But the festival gigs serve an interesting purpose. Still blows my mind to hear the Bonnaroo Festival gig from C50 where the audience goes nuts for "Heroes and Villains" more than most of the car/surf songs.

I know what you mean and I think for a typical greatest hits/few deep cuts performance it would be fine. But I just can't envision trying to perform songs like Caroline No or Don't Talk in the middle of that maelstrom of noise. I keep thinking back to the first time I heard PS live in the Chicago Theater in 2000. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop; I remember looking at the other people sitting in my row and I saw grown men with tears rolling down their faces; I heard a Dad say to his young son to "listen carefully, we might never hear anything like this again". That was an experience I'll NEVER forget!
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 21, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »

I live in Chicago, and I'm kinda thrilled to see mentions of Brian at Pitchfork on facebook by friends whom I never would think would be excited about Brian or Pet Sounds.

Pet Sounds was made by a young person about things that all young people experience - longing, frustration, crushes, hopes, dreams.  I'm glad that Brian was booked for a venue where more young people can get exposed to Pet Sounds.  A few years ago, I saw Paul McCartney at Outside Lands - some guy near me screamed to his friend, "We're watching a [foda-ing] legend!!!!!" during "Hey Jude".  So yeah, it's like that.

Festivals are my cuppa, but it's Brian and it's close to home.  The tix weren't that expensive, and I can probably easily unload them on StubHub if need be.  I'm planning travels around two other shows, so it's all good.  I agree that a nice show at a place like the Chicago Theatre would be nifty for October.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 22, 2016, 02:33:05 PM »

Just to let anyone interested in the Boston shows know the tickets are almost completely sold out already and they just went on sale today. I was lucky to get tickets for both nights in the upper balcony by the side of the stage but there is so much demand it crashed their site so just a heads up.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx