gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:07:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472154 times)
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2016, 10:49:01 AM »

I'm really hoping for some more Mainland European shows (Holland, Belgium, Germany), otherwise I'll consider a flight to London, Newcastle or Bristol.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2016, 10:52:35 AM »

Okay, somebody will raise the question so it might as well be me. The last concert with Pet Sounds performed in its entirety by its main creator will be in Lake Tahoe ... so, will Mike be there?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2016, 10:58:21 AM »

Really disappointed by the lack of a Chicago show. Not really sure I want to travel 7 hours to Indiana or Iowa for this.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2016, 11:02:28 AM »

I'll be going to The Sage, Gateshead in Newcastle, Australia...

Someone ought to tell 'em...  Roll Eyes
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2016, 11:03:45 AM »

Does everyone really anticipate that all or most of the US dates will go on sale this week? There's little evidence online at all of many of these shows (which make sense since it was just announced), so I'm wondering if especially the September and October dates will go on sale before the end of January.

From http://www.brianwilson.com/tour/ :

BRIAN WILSON "PET SOUNDS 50TH ANNIVERSARY WORLD TOUR

• DATES TO BEGIN IN MARCH WITH U.S. TOUR KICKING OFF IN JUNE. ADDITIONAL SHOWS BEING ADDED.
• TICKET PRESALE STARTS JANUARY 27. OFFICIAL ONSALE JANUARY 29.

I did of course read that in the press release. I'm just curious if they're really going to have a pre-sale up for *every* date on that schedule only 48 hours from now. The shows are not all sold through the same ticketing agencies, etc. Different venues and ticketing websites do different forms of presales, etc.

The press release reads: "Ticket presales begin January 27 with the official onsale January 29 in most markets."

I would think maybe the most far-out dates in September and October might be the strongest candidates for taking a little longer to get up and ready for sales.

I guess I just took the statement at face value--I certainly wasn't trying to be a smartass. I know I'm not excited about laying out a good amount of money for a concert at the end of September, but it isn't that unusual.

Okay, somebody will raise the question so it might as well be me. The last concert with Pet Sounds performed in its entirety by its main creator will be in Lake Tahoe ... so, will Mike be there?

I wouldn't be surprised to see this tour extended into November and December, especially if it proves to be a brisk seller. Also, guessing there is a good chance Mike & Bruce are on the road themselves at that time.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2016, 11:13:14 AM »

Well, I see the usual trolls are out doing their jobs.  In the mean time, the rest of us will be booking our tickets and enjoying the shows.

Is that directed at me and my 'idiots' comment?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2016, 11:21:40 AM »

Mike has never appeared at one of Brian's shows, so I don't see why he would start appearing now. As others have said, he may well be on tour at that time. Even if he isn't, I don't see any reason to expect he'd show up at a Brian gig. I would imagine at some point in the last 17 years he has been free and able to go to a Brian gig somewhere, and he never has.

We also don't know for sure that the Tahoe date will be the last, as they may be adding more dates.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2016, 11:23:51 AM »

Really disappointed by the lack of a Chicago show. Not really sure I want to travel 7 hours to Indiana or Iowa for this.

There are a few large holes in the tour schedule. As previously mentioned, they only have two shows scheduled between June 20th and July 14th thus far. While those could easily just be down times, I would imagine more dates in key cities like Los Angeles and somewhere in the Chicago area are likely.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »

It may or may not be worth noting that, according to the tour press release, more than 70 dates are "confirmed."

My rough quick count shows 54 dates on the current schedule. Assuming "more than 70" constitutes at least 71, do we have as many as 17 more dates yet to be announced?

The press release mentions two regions not yet on the schedule: Israel and Portugal.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:33:40 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2016, 12:38:32 PM »

FFS! First concert Auckland, AUSTRALIA

I may get banned, but those behind BW.com are idiots.

Thud Thud Thud

Now corrected I see.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2016, 12:44:07 PM »

Well, I see the usual trolls are out doing their jobs.  In the mean time, the rest of us will be booking our tickets and enjoying the shows.

Is that directed at me and my 'idiots' comment?

It wasn't directed an anyone specifically.  If you're a troll, it's directed at you, I guess.  SS is just very predictable.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2016, 12:51:20 PM »

Not a troll but Auckland is my home town. Prior to todays announcement Auckland was not even listed on the tour page despite selling tickets for at least 3 months here. Even the 'World Tour' press release today isn't correct.

Concert stops include dates in Australia, Japan, United Kingdom, Spain, Israel, and Portugal followed by a full U.S. tour later this Summer and Fall.

also...

MAY 27 FRI
Royal Concert Hall
Glasgow, United Kingdom

MAY 29 SUN
Sage Gateshead
Newcastle, Australia

MAY 31 TUE
Philharmonic Hall
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Brian flying from the UK back to Australia then returning to the UK in the space of 3 days? Yeah right!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:59:00 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2016, 03:01:41 PM »

An LA Times article mentions:

No Southern California dates have been announced, but Wilson’s manager told The Times on Monday, “There will be a great one,” for which details are still being finalized.

I'm just very wary of getting October tickets if he's going to hit somewhere else in the Bay Area in June or July (or any other point for that matter).

Not a big fan of announcing most, but not all of the tour dates and immediately putting shows on sale that aren't happening for eight or nine months.

Seems it would have made more sense to announced the March-June Australia/Japan/Europe dates and put those on sale, and then wait to fill in the rest of the North American dates before putting them all on sale.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2016, 03:43:02 PM »

Slightly surprised (but pleased) to see that not only is there a Minneapolis show after a couple years without, but that the primary local paper included mention of the show both in the arts section as a blog entry and the front-page online feed of top stories. The local angle (Bill Pohlad) was mentioned, so perhaps that helped.

Also interesting, the writer was the younger critic who often covers modern music, not the one who usually covers most of the nostalgia acts.

This is a few hundred bucks I'll have to spend. Might be the last time, after all--plus I wasn't able to see the first Pet Sounds tour (though it was one of the things that actually got me deep into BW/BBs).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »

Really, no Irish show  Sad

Sucks.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2016, 05:25:13 PM »

Not a troll but Auckland is my home town. Prior to todays announcement Auckland was not even listed on the tour page despite selling tickets for at least 3 months here. Even the 'World Tour' press release today isn't correct.

Concert stops include dates in Australia, Japan, United Kingdom, Spain, Israel, and Portugal followed by a full U.S. tour later this Summer and Fall.

also...

MAY 27 FRI
Royal Concert Hall
Glasgow, United Kingdom

MAY 29 SUN
Sage Gateshead
Newcastle, Australia

MAY 31 TUE
Philharmonic Hall

Brian flying from the UK back to Australia then returning to the UK in the space of 3 days? Yeah right!

Okay, I'm happy you're not a troll.  Good for you, living in Auckland.  I understand it's gorgeous.

I'm thinking it's pretty obvious that there was a typo.  The venue in Newcastle, England is clear, even though someone's computer's correct-type screwed up.  I know this upsets people, but let's just work with all the info we have.  It won't be that hard to validate.

He's clearly not advertising himself and his band as the C50 Beach Boys.  I think that's a plus for him.  Don't you?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:27:24 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »

Call me skeptical, but in 2006 Brian said he was retiring Pet Sounds after that tour, saying it was time to move on. Just sayin'.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2016, 05:44:43 PM »

also...

MAY 27 FRI
Royal Concert Hall
Glasgow, United Kingdom

MAY 29 SUN
Sage Gateshead
Newcastle, Australia

MAY 31 TUE
Philharmonic Hall

Okay, I'm happy you're not a troll.  Good for you, living in Auckland.  I understand it's gorgeous.

I'm thinking it's pretty obvious that there was a typo.  The venue in Newcastle, England is clear, even though someone's computer's correct-type screwed up.  I know this upsets people, but let's just work with all the info we have.  It won't be that hard to validate.

He's clearly not advertising himself and his band as the C50 Beach Boys.  I think that's a plus for him.  Don't you?

It's all good Debbie. I have already clicked on one story today that links to Brian's tour page and it just seems sloppy. Brian was a perfectionist making Pet Sounds and the last hurrah should be accorded the same standard.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2016, 05:54:51 PM »

An LA Times article mentions:

No Southern California dates have been announced, but Wilson’s manager told The Times on Monday, “There will be a great one,” for which details are still being finalized.

I'm just very wary of getting October tickets if he's going to hit somewhere else in the Bay Area in June or July (or any other point for that matter).

Not a big fan of announcing most, but not all of the tour dates and immediately putting shows on sale that aren't happening for eight or nine months.

Seems it would have made more sense to announced the March-June Australia/Japan/Europe dates and put those on sale, and then wait to fill in the rest of the North American dates before putting them all on sale.

I think what's already on the table - Pet Sounds & "GV" 50th anniversary shows, two autobiographies and a full-on TV special reunion in October* - is more than we could realistically ask for, greedy herberts that we are.

[* - OK, there's a chance I might not be being entirely honest about this bit...]

AGDs post in jest...but wouldn't it be nice to put 2 and 2 together and get 4 just once!
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2016, 03:03:59 AM »

A couple of questions - this is billed as the last time Brian will be playing Pet Sounds in its entirety in Europe, but is it the last time he'll come here does anyone know?

Also, I know we're all not sure what pre-sales are active tomorrow but are there any passwords going round for this yet? How on earth are we meant to know how to get pre-sale, or whether we qualify for one?!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2016, 03:39:13 AM »

A couple of questions - this is billed as the last time Brian will be playing Pet Sounds in its entirety in Europe, but is it the last time he'll come here does anyone know?

Also, I know we're all not sure what pre-sales are active tomorrow but are there any passwords going round for this yet? How on earth are we meant to know how to get pre-sale, or whether we qualify for one?!

It was stated last year when they cancelled the UK tour that this year's tour would be his last.

There's a pre-sale for the Manchester show at https://priority.o2.co.uk/offers?type=all&category=tickets . To register, you need to have (or have access to) an O2 mobile phone, but there are no other requirements. I suspect other venues will have different presale deals.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
KDS
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2016, 08:29:09 AM »

Well, as long as everything goes OK with the presale tomorrow, I'll be driving to Bethesda on Tuesday, September 20th. 

Can't wait. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2016, 10:19:30 AM »

They added a June 8th Israel gig on Brian's website, so I've added that to the top post.

Probably not going to be able to make it to the October San Francisco gig (can't blow $250-$300 for two tickets knowing I probably can't make it), so hoping another Bay Area show might pop up in the June-July gap alongside the inevitable L.A.-area gigs.

KDS
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2016, 10:23:59 AM »

Does anybody on here know how to obtain the presale codes for tomorrow morning?

For the NPP Tour, I was emailed a code just before the presale.  I think I'd signed up for it when I registered for the BW Forum. 

I put something on the BW Forum to confirm whether or not I would get a similar email but my, and other similar, questions are being unanswered. 

I just want to make sure I'm not shut out as the venue I'm shooting for is not a big one. 
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »

Could not figure out how to access Pre-sale codes either. A lot of the seats were locked out if you did not have code.

But I got two tickets for the Horseshoe show in July!

Can't wait, this will be our first BW concert!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx