gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:15:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 474325 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2015, 02:52:07 AM »

Well I'll be goshdarned... all this time I've been misreading "string" as "spring". Anyone here is free to berate me for being, unquestionably, a complete idiot in this respect. Next thing you know, I'll be forgetting... uh... something... it'll come to me.  Old Man

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »

I'm so excited to see him at Levitation. Those who saw him tour the album back in '04, what were the sets like? I wonder if Blondie will play for all of the album? Going to be interesting for sure. Lots and lots of people going to be indulging in the drugs that contributed to his rough times.

I can't say anything about the '04 tour, but I'm guessing Blondie won't be on stage for the Pet Sounds section, which I believe is what happened for the 2013 gigs when they pulled out PS during the show.

Blondie thus far, in both 2013 and 2015, has usually only been on stage for the songs he sings leads ("Sail on Sailor", "Wild Honey", and in 2015 "Sail Away"), and then he comes back out for a few of the encore songs. On the 2013 tour shows he attended, I believe he also joined in on backing vocals for one or two of the Jeff Beck songs that a few BW band guys came out for.

So I would assume he won't be on stage for the PS section of 2016 shows. I'm really hoping they find *something* else for Blondie to sing, whether it's "Funky Pretty" or "Hold on Dear Brother", or they could get adventurous and have him sing "River Song" or something. Considering they haven't even done "Funky Pretty", that seems highly unlikely of course. But if Dave can sing "Forever" (which he did at a few 2013 shows with Brian and Al), certainly Blondie can sing "River Song."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2015, 08:52:20 AM »

I'm so excited to see him at Levitation. Those who saw him tour the album back in '04, what were the sets like? I wonder if Blondie will play for all of the album? Going to be interesting for sure. Lots and lots of people going to be indulging in the drugs that contributed to his rough times.

I can't say anything about the '04 tour, but I'm guessing Blondie won't be on stage for the Pet Sounds section, which I believe is what happened for the 2013 gigs when they pulled out PS during the show.

Blondie thus far, in both 2013 and 2015, has usually only been on stage for the songs he sings leads ("Sail on Sailor", "Wild Honey", and in 2015 "Sail Away"), and then he comes back out for a few of the encore songs. On the 2013 tour shows he attended, I believe he also joined in on backing vocals for one or two of the Jeff Beck songs that a few BW band guys came out for.

So I would assume he won't be on stage for the PS section of 2016 shows. I'm really hoping they find *something* else for Blondie to sing, whether it's "Funky Pretty" or "Hold on Dear Brother", or they could get adventurous and have him sing "River Song" or something. Considering they haven't even done "Funky Pretty", that seems highly unlikely of course. But if Dave can sing "Forever" (which he did at a few 2013 shows with Brian and Al), certainly Blondie can sing "River Song."

Considering they did Hold On Dear Brother during the BW&Friends show, I'm surprised it never showed up in a setlist. 

I'd love to have Leaving This Town in the set. 
Peter Pumpkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »

So... looks like the promised Spring UK/Europe 2016 tour is narrowing down late February/early March, maybe late April/May or... ah, that's it.

Sounds realistic! Based in Germany, I really hope for shows in Berlin and Hamburg, maybe even Frankfurt and Munich. We'll see.
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2015, 10:45:01 AM »

Please add:
6/14 - Burlington, VT
6/15 - Portland, ME

I wonder if there will be a show on 5/16 - of course, it would have to be in LA!

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2015, 11:19:34 AM »

Since I need a little breather from the Philosophy final paper I'm working on...I put together a realistic Pet Sounds tour setlist!  LOL

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda (Al Jardine)
Then I Kissed Her (Al Jardine)
Dance, Dance, Dance (Al Jardine)
Please Let Me Wonder
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Till I Die
Sail on Sailor (Blondie Chaplin)
Funky Pretty (Blondie Chaplin)
Wild Honey (Blondie Chaplin)
INTERMISSION
Wouldn't it Be Nice (Al Jardine)
You Still Believe in Me (Al Jardine)
That's Not Me
Don't Talk (Matt Jardine)
I'm Waiting for The Day
Let's Go Away For Awhile
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
I Know There's An Answer (Al Jardine)
Here Today (Blondie Chaplin!!!) How rockin' could THIS be!?!
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No
Lights out...no one leaves the stage
ENCORE
Surf's Up
Good Vibrations

NO NO NO: All Summer Long, Babrara Ann, Surfin' USA, Fun Fun Fun, Car Songs blah de blah de BLAH!  LOL
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2015, 11:26:59 AM »

Considering they did Hold On Dear Brother during the BW&Friends show, I'm surprised it never showed up in a setlist. 

I'd love to have Leaving This Town in the set. 
Leaving This Town - the jewel in the crown.   Wink
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2015, 11:58:42 AM »

Since I need a little breather from the Philosophy final paper I'm working on...I put together a realistic Pet Sounds tour setlist!  LOL

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda (Al Jardine)
Then I Kissed Her (Al Jardine)
Dance, Dance, Dance (Al Jardine)
Please Let Me Wonder
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Till I Die
Sail on Sailor (Blondie Chaplin)
Funky Pretty (Blondie Chaplin)
Wild Honey (Blondie Chaplin)
INTERMISSION
Wouldn't it Be Nice (Al Jardine)
You Still Believe in Me (Al Jardine)
That's Not Me
Don't Talk (Matt Jardine)
I'm Waiting for The Day
Let's Go Away For Awhile
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
I Know There's An Answer (Al Jardine)
Here Today (Blondie Chaplin!!!) How rockin' could THIS be!?!
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No
Lights out...no one leaves the stage
ENCORE
Surf's Up
Good Vibrations

NO NO NO: All Summer Long, Babrara Ann, Surfin' USA, Fun Fun Fun, Car Songs blah de blah de BLAH!  LOL

For his tour to NZ and Australia PS is down for the first part of the show. If that goes well I would expect the rest of the tour would be the same.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1511/S00353/brian-wilson-performing-pet-sounds-one-nz-show-only.htm

BRIAN WILSON PERFORMING PET SOUNDS AND HIS GREATEST HITS

50th Anniversary Celebration Of Pet Sounds And Final Performances In Its Entirety

Brian Wilson performing Pet Sounds is a rare, unforgettable live music experience spanning two parts: ACT 1: Pet Sounds and ACT 2: His Greatest Hits and will feature his incredible band including original Beach Boys member Al Jardine and long-term member Blondie Chaplin. Bluesfest Festival Director Peter Noble has described bringing Brian Wilson to Australasia to perform Pet Sounds as a "pinch me, I must be dreaming moment".
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2015, 12:32:29 PM »

That's interesting! I missed that!

I cannot once think of an artist using that sequencing before, that includes Brian himself!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2015, 12:37:53 PM »

So... looks like the promised Spring UK/Europe 2016 tour is narrowing down late February/early March, maybe late April/May or... ah, that's it.

Sounds realistic! Based in Germany, I really hope for shows in Berlin and Hamburg, maybe even Frankfurt and Munich. We'll see.

Hannover, please. PLEASE!!!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 01:00:20 PM »

Pinch me, I must be dreaming!

I never thought I'd see Brian live, and now I will.  Just to be near that man's presence is enough.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2015, 01:06:48 PM »

That's interesting! I missed that!

I cannot once think of an artist using that sequencing before, that includes Brian himself!
Brian did it with the Gershwin tour in 2011, and Arthur Lee did it with the Forever Changes tour.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2015, 01:09:51 PM »

long-term member Blondie Chaplin.

I wouldn't call 2 years a "löng term", but I may translate "long term" wrong.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
KDS
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2015, 01:22:19 PM »

Pinch me, I must be dreaming!

I never thought I'd see Brian live, and now I will.  Just to be near that man's presence is enough.

Enjoy Bonnie.  And the fact that he's got two other Beach Boys with him, and a terrific band is just icing on the cake. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2015, 04:43:49 PM »

Can he please announce the Europe dates already, I'm so hyped about these shows it is unreal.

If it's my last time seeing Brian, what a way to go out.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2015, 09:37:23 PM »

Here Today with a Blondie lead is a great suggestion.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2015, 09:56:10 PM »

Heartily agreed, and also the recommendation to play Leaving This Town- yes! I absolutely love that song, and of course we know how much the In Concert version rocks. To be honest, there aren't many more songs I'd like to see them add.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2015, 11:10:27 PM »

Heartily agreed, and also the recommendation to play Leaving This Town- yes! I absolutely love that song, and of course we know how much the In Concert version rocks. To be honest, there aren't many more songs I'd like to see them add.

Agree with all these suggestions. Would also love to see Blondie and Al get the chance to showcase one or two of their own solo songs. Doubt it would happen but they're both fine artists in their own right.

“We live in divisive times.”
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2015, 09:03:33 AM »

It seems like I'm alone on this, but at a Brian Wilson show, I want to hear Brian Wilson sing as many leads as he possibly can (meaning songs that are in his range and if they weren't originally sung by someone else on stage - example - Sail On Sailor - I get why Blondie has this). So, no, I wouldn't want to hear Blondie on Here Today, I'd want to hear Brian on that.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2015, 09:13:36 AM »

It seems like I'm alone on this, but at a Brian Wilson show, I want to hear Brian Wilson sing as many leads as he possibly can (meaning songs that are in his range and if they weren't originally sung by someone else on stage - example - Sail On Sailor - I get why Blondie has this). So, no, I wouldn't want to hear Blondie on Here Today, I'd want to hear Brian on that.

I would have said that before I saw Brian and Al last year doing a hits show. After seeing that, what I want is to see Brian *singing lead on those songs that enthuse him*, and someone else (Al, preferably, because of that great voice) taking the other leads. There were points in the show I saw where Brian was clearly either bored with the show or having other issues, and having Al take some of the leads in those sections stopped the show slumping and meant Brian could keep focus throughout the show (and he did the best Heroes & Villains and God Only Knows I've ever heard from him).
Also, for me at least, I've seen Brian twelve times (counting the reunion tour), Al only four, and Blondie not at all, so that would make a difference for me. And personally, I wouldn't be thinking of a Brian/Al/Blondie tour as being "a Brian Wilson show" but as a Beach Boys show in all but name.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2015, 09:55:13 AM »

Personally, I'd like to see this:

Wouldn't It Be Nice - Al w/ Brian on bridge
You Still Believe In Me - Matt J
That's Not Me - Brian
Don't Talk - Matt J
I'm Waiting For The Day - Brian
Let's Go Away
Sloop John B - Al and Brian
God Only Knows - Brian
I Know There's An Answer - Al and Brian
Here Today - Brian
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times - Brian
Pet Sounds
Caroline No - Matt J

Our Prayer
Heroes & Villains
Do It Again
California Girls
I Get Around
Please Let Me Wonder
Then She Kissed Me
The Little Girl I Once Knew
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby
Wake The World into something else Al sings
The Night Was So Young
One Kind Of Love
Wild Honey
Sail On Sailor
Surf's Up
Good Vibrations

Help Me Rhonda
Surfin' USA
Fun Fun Fun
Love & Mercy

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
KDS
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2015, 09:56:41 AM »

While Blondie does bring a different, rocking energy to the shows, I'd be surprised to see him on stage during the Pet Sounds portion of the show.  

I could be wrong, but I would think Brian and his band would prefer a precise tight arrangement of Pet Sounds, would likely wouldn't allow for much of Blondie's improvised guitar work.  

I would see we'd see Blondie do some songs similar to the way he did on the NPP, to come out, sing lead on a few.  Then, come back for the encores.  
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »

Maybe with Foskett finally gone from the band we'll see more Love You songs included in the setlist.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2015, 10:22:29 AM »

I don't look at this as a Brian Wilson show, and after seeing him two weeks ago...I certainly do not really ever need to hear him sing anything that Mike Love sang lead on from about 1962-1965. All of those car & surf songs were incredibly under tempo and Brian still had trouble getting the words out. That part was sad. Now, hand those leads over to Al, and it would make the world of difference. It is, after all, billed as Brian Wilson with Special Guests Al Jardine & Blondie Chaplin...and those special guests are somewhat under used right now.

Yeah, it would be weird to have Blondie out during Pet Sounds but...why not? The Pet Sounds tours have been done before. I haven't seen them, but add something fresh to it. There's nothing to gain in going through the motions one more time...
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2015, 11:25:25 AM »

New date:  http://nysmusic.com/2015/12/16/brian-wilson-to-perform-pet-sounds-at-tanglewood/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx