gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:04:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472165 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 09:14:01 AM »

I never expected him to be performing in his 40s!

Still.....A pitch was made in 2006 and now reneged. Didn't a certain lead singer get some negative comment in 2012 and for 3 years since after actually keeping his word?

I'll get my own hat.....

I never saw Mike walking out on the reunion as "keeping his word." He never *promised* to NEVER do another reunion show. Going back to a previous status quo isn't really keeping one's word.

There was a Rolling Stone article back in 1999 or 2000, concerning the injunctions against Al's "Family & Friends" and whatnot, where it was either Elliott Lott or one of BRI's attorneys stating that Mike only had a few years of touring left (the implication being that his license shouldn't be infringed upon because he only had a few years of income left to generate from the license). That was 15 or 16 years ago.

Clearly, all of these guys have had more longevity than even they themselves thought they would 15 or 20 years ago.

Hey Jude - your second sentence is a double negative.  You do know what that means?  LOL
KDS
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »

At the risk of apperaing an a**hole, does anyone who bought tickets to the 'final' performances in 2006 now feel shafted?

Mr. Wilson has said that this tour will be the last that includes full performances of "Pet Sounds."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/19/arts/19weekahead.html?_r=0

"Farewell" Tours of any kind are rarely a true farewell.  The Who, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Kiss, The Eagles, Scorpions, Judas Priest, etc etc have all been touring well beyond their original "farewells." 

I think any announced "final" performance of an album, a song, or by an artist has to be taken with a grain of salt. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 09:34:04 AM »

Still.....A pitch was made in 2006 and now reneged. Didn't a certain lead singer get some negative comment in 2012 and for 3 years since after actually keeping his word?

I'll get my own hat.....

I never saw Mike walking out on the reunion as "keeping his word." He never *promised* to NEVER do another reunion show. Going back to a previous status quo isn't really keeping one's word.

There was a Rolling Stone article back in 1999 or 2000, concerning the injunctions against Al's "Family & Friends" and whatnot, where it was either Elliott Lott or one of BRI's attorneys stating that Mike only had a few years of touring left (the implication being that his license shouldn't be infringed upon because he only had a few years of income left to generate from the license). That was 15 or 16 years ago.

Clearly, all of these guys have had more longevity than even they themselves thought they would 15 or 20 years ago.

Hey Jude - your second sentence is a double negative.  You do know what that means?  LOL

Yes, that was the whole point. There was an assertion that *not* doing something that was *never* promised was an example of keeping one's word. There was no word to speak of. Hence, the exaggeration for effect. He indeed never made a promissory statement in which he said he would never do another reunion show.

By that measure, my not running for president is "keeping my word" as well. I never said I was in the first place.

I'd also recommend not complaining about people "derailing threads" when you're happy to offer one-line grammatical corrections with no on-topic content. Your post is more of a thread derailment than the posts you've been complaining about.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:36:18 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 09:41:27 AM »

I'll get my own hat.....

Hey Jude - your second sentence is a double negative.  You do know what that means?  LOL

Yes, that was the whole point. There was an assertion that *not* doing something that was *never* promised was an example of keeping one's word. There was no word to speak of. Hence, the exaggeration for effect. He indeed never made a promissory statement in which he said he would never do another reunion show.

By that measure, my not running for president is "keeping my word" as well. I never said I was in the first place.

I'd also recommend not complaining about people "derailing threads" when you're happy to offer one-line grammatical corrections with no on-topic content. Your post is more of a thread derailment than the posts you've been complaining about.
An old judge I used to swim with, used to often say, "I am not unimpressed" about this, that, or the other thing...

You do know that once I sorted out that double negative, I figured out that it meant "I am impressed."

A double negative is a positive.   LOL

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 12:11:05 PM »

I'll get my own hat.....

An old judge I used to swim with, used to often say, "I am not unimpressed" about this, that, or the other thing...

You do know that once I sorted out that double negative, I figured out that it meant "I am impressed."

A double negative is a positive.   LOL

Scottish joke:

Teacher to English language class: "in the English language, a double negative can turn a sentence into a positive, but a double positive can never be a negative."

Sarcastic Scot's voice from back of class: "Aye, right!"
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:12:59 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 12:48:35 PM »

Two American dates added for the Pet Sounds tour:

http://www.brianwilson.com/tour/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:53:15 PM by beatle608 » Logged

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
KDS
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2015, 12:50:22 PM »

Three American dates added for the Pet Sounds tour:

Cool!!  Maybe these are the first dates of a Summer Tour in the US.  It seems to be around the same time the tour started this past summer. 
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2015, 12:51:52 PM »

Three American dates added for the Pet Sounds tour:

Cool!!  Maybe these are the first dates of a Summer Tour in the US.  It seems to be around the same time the tour started this past summer. 

Nothing can beat a Brian Wilson summer US tour! I look forward to more dates being announced.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
skabandit22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »

I'm so excited to see him at Levitation. Those who saw him tour the album back in '04, what were the sets like? I wonder if Blondie will play for all of the album? Going to be interesting for sure. Lots and lots of people going to be indulging in the drugs that contributed to his rough times.
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 01:07:12 PM »

I'm so excited to see him at Levitation. Those who saw him tour the album back in '04, what were the sets like? I wonder if Blondie will play for all of the album? Going to be interesting for sure. Lots and lots of people going to be indulging in the drugs that contributed to his rough times.

I can't say anything about the '04 tour, but I'm guessing Blondie won't be on stage for the Pet Sounds section, which I believe is what happened for the 2013 gigs when they pulled out PS during the show.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2015, 01:08:28 PM »

At the risk of apperaing an a**hole, does anyone who bought tickets to the 'final' performances in 2006 now feel shafted?

Mr. Wilson has said that this tour will be the last that includes full performances of "Pet Sounds."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/19/arts/19weekahead.html?_r=0

I just don't think it's a particularly actionable offense. Dunno if the statute of limitations would allow for suing Brian or his tour promoter for a 2006/2007 incident.

And actually, when the November 2006 tour dates were announced as the "last" PS tour, that was before the three January 2007 dates were announced. So he may have reneged on that mere months later. And, as others have mentioned, they did the full PS album on at least two dates on the 2013 tour. Does that count? It wasn't a PS tour.

I'd also be curious to know if any actual promotional materials (as opposed to Brian or someone else just saying in interviews or conversation that it was the last PS tour) such as posters for those 40th anniversary dates actual stated it was the final PS tour.

My question is, how many fans went to those PS 40th shows SOLELY because it was the last performance? So if they would have left that *one* detail out, and everything else was the same, are there people that wouldn't have gone?

But no, I don't feel shafted having gone to one of the Brian/Al PS shows in January 2007, and if someone really complains about how a show was promoted a decade ago because Brian is doing *another* tour now, then they indeed would not probably get a lot of empathy.

Live shows generally have to warranty very little as far as setlist and things like that. Pretty much, if you buy a ticket for an artist and the artist shows up and performs something on stage, they're covered. Countless bands have said a tour is their last tour and then gone on to do more.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,3255.msg56630.html#msg56630

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger2/2822/4215/1600/755856/BrianWilson_email.jpg

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2015, 01:14:05 PM »

I'll get my own hat.....

What are you talking about? Mike agreed to 50 shows, later extended to 73. He did them all so he kept his word.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »

I'll get my own hat.....

What are you talking about? Mike agreed to 50 shows, later extended to 73. He did them all so he kept his word.

It's obviously more semantics. The statement above suggested Mike caught flak for keeping his word. I don't think anyone complained that he did the 73 shows. They complained because he refused to do more. Refusing to do more wasn't "keeping his word." He kept his word by doing contracted shows, not by refusing to do more. There is no contract I'm aware of where Mike outlined that he would never do another reunion show.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2015, 04:14:46 PM »

Going back to doing what they had been doing pre-C50, as they all agreed to according to Mike, would be keeping their word.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2015, 04:24:53 PM »

In any case, it's irrelevant.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »

Going back to doing what they had been doing pre-C50, as they all agreed to according to Mike, would be keeping their word.

Didn't the advertisements state they were getting together "one last time"?  But come on guys, let's not derail the thread two pages into it.  LOL  The original comment about C50 was meant to be a joke anyway.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2015, 05:08:34 PM »

It's all in good fun but OT so I'll withdraw from the field.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2015, 05:28:39 PM »

For all the doubters of Brian's pulling power, he just sold out the Sydney Opera House in a few days!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2015, 05:44:31 PM »

For all the doubters of Brian's pulling power, he just sold out the Sydney Opera House in a few days!!

Really cool.

I don't see him having trouble moving tickets for this tour anywhere.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2015, 08:17:25 PM »

Pet Sounds will be an easy sell, and with the first two US dates being in Maine and Vermont, one would assume that it's going to be rather extensive, well as extensive as a Brian Wilson tour will be.

I'd like to think he'll be back down in my neck of the woods late June/ early July. Pier Six Pavilion in our harbor would be the perfect place for this show.
KDS
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2015, 08:47:49 PM »

Pet Sounds will be an easy sell, and with the first two US dates being in Maine and Vermont, one would assume that it's going to be rather extensive, well as extensive as a Brian Wilson tour will be.

I'd like to think he'll be back down in my neck of the woods late June/ early July. Pier Six Pavilion in our harbor would be the perfect place for this show.

Pier Six would be cool.  But I was thinking that The Modell Lyric in Baltimore would be perfect for Brian and his band.  Either way, if it's within 100 miles, I'll be there. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2015, 10:16:39 PM »

Pier Six would be cool.  But I was thinking that The Modell Lyric in Baltimore would be perfect for Brian and his band.  Either way, if it's within 100 miles, I'll be there. 

The absolute best would be Meyerhoff w/ the BSO...one can dream, eh?
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2015, 10:30:48 PM »

There's room in the schedule for a second Sydney show. The Enmore maybe?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2015, 02:37:48 AM »

So... looks like the promised Spring UK/Europe 2016 tour is narrowing down late February/early March, maybe late April/May or... ah, that's it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2015, 02:40:43 AM »

So... looks like the promised Spring UK/Europe 2016 tour is narrowing down late February/early March, maybe late April/May or... ah, that's it.

Did they say it was going to be spring at all? The original announcement said "He will be back in the UK and Europe in 2016 with a string of concerts to mark the 50th Anniversary of his seminal album Pet Sounds, which will be his final European tour." -- did they clarify since?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx