gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:38:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 475656 times)
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: September 11, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »

One thing I noticed during the show is that they added some kettles to Nelson's kit midway through the first set.

I talked with the sound guy after the show and he said that some of the equipment did not arrive from Iceland until after the show started.

I do wonder if Billy's absence contributed to the set list (dropping of AASL, for example). They probably had to make other changes to th arrangements on the fly (a roady came out to play the guiro for 'Pet Sounds').

My daughter loves the music but is blissfully unaware of the history. She was hoping to 'Take a Load Off Your Feet' (a childhood favorite) and 'Disney Girls'. She was happy to hear that she was seeing more actual Beach Boys than you would find at a Beach Boys concert.

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: September 11, 2016, 03:12:47 PM »

I must have missed something, is Billy Hinsche off the tour? Is this just for a few dates or more permanent?
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: September 11, 2016, 05:13:28 PM »

Was at the St Augustine show last night. Started off with California Girls, so they dropped Our Prayer and H&V.  Band came on at 8:20. At 10:20 I was already in the car any on my way home, so def a shorter show again. Think it was the identical set list to Atlanta. But nonetheless a great show. Brian a bit rough on a couple Pet Sounds songs early on, he was closer to spoken word compared to singing, but it didn't take anything away from the magic of them.

Loved the bass harmonica on 'I know there's an answer'. Matt Jardine really shined. Blondie was awesome on Wild Honey and Sail on Sailor. He also did Sail Away.

I hope there somehow is another leg of this tour added next year as Id go see this again.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1603 on: September 12, 2016, 06:42:01 AM »

If you're getting the 32-song setlist, at least you're not getting the "short" version. It's sort of the middle ground (literally) between the 26-song setlist and the 38-song version.

32 is still about the length of the shows he did last year, and I'd guess a 32-song setlist with the PS in full still clocks in a bit longer than last year's 32-song setlists based on song lengths. 

What is a bit more frustrating is that they're (in a sense) regressing by dropping something like "Funky Pretty" and going back to "Sail Away" which was in all of the setlists last year. I like the idea that they change the setlist as the tour goes along, and even bringing something back that was dropped after last year is an interesting change-up. But I wish they'd realize that many fans saw the shows last year and still haven't had a chance to hear "Funky Pretty." As it stands now, for someone like myself who has seen Brian over a dozen times since 1999, the only thing currently in the setlist that I've never seen Brian perform is "Little Honda."

I think "Sail Away" is by leaps and bounds the best song on NPP. It has always been a bit of a mess on tour; every live performance I've heard (including two in person last year) are fine, but it was always one of the messiest performances. Nobody seemed to be able to figure out who was singing which part, which parts are doubled or overlap, and so on.

It's a bit disappointing to see the setlist get *less* interesting after they've had months and months of rehearsals and performances, during which bands usually find that they can stretch the setlist out more. Maybe they are just tired from a lot of travel and globetrotting and it's easier to fall back on "California Saga" than try to bring back "Honkin' Down the Highway", I dunno.

Maybe at least by October "Monster Mash" will make it back into the setlist?  3D

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: September 12, 2016, 09:06:24 AM »

Two reviews of the Atlanta show...

AJC:
http://music.blog.ajc.com/2016/09/10/concert-review-brian-wilson-revisits-classic-pet-sounds-at-atlanta-show/

Creative Loafing:
http://www.clatl.com/music/article/20833337/brian-wilson-brought-pet-sounds-to-life-at-the-fox-theatre

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1605 on: September 12, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »

Added a December 3 Mexico show and October 31 Switzerland show to the top post schedule.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:51:04 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: September 12, 2016, 08:17:38 PM »

Added a December 3 Mexico show and October 31 Switzerland show to the top post schedule.

I know Acapulco's gone way downhill from its glory days, but didn't realize it had dropped all the way to South America!  Cheesy
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1607 on: September 13, 2016, 08:06:03 AM »

It appears in Sarasota that they at least added back one additional song, albeit not a terribly exciting one ("Dance Dance Dance"), so that brings it back up to 33 songs.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1608 on: September 13, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »

While I'll probably start a separate 2017 tour thread at some point in the future, I've added to the top post a just-announced show for April of 2017 in Vancouver. According to this article, it will still be a "Pet Sounds" show and will still feature Al and Blondie:

http://www.straight.com/blogra/780091/brian-wilson-plays-queen-elizabeth-theatre-april-8

The article says the show will feature the "final performance" of PS, but I think it's quite possible if not likely that this isn't literally the *final* PS show ever. I'm guessing it's the final Vancouver performance, or they're simply conflating the wording of this being the final PS tour.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:02:21 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: September 13, 2016, 01:26:43 PM »

I was so hoping for a Smile (or a Wild Honey) tour next year. This year's tour is great, but there's that 50th anniversary thing. Still, April leaves a lot of year to go....
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1610 on: September 13, 2016, 01:51:42 PM »

There was talk in an article several months ago that they were going to extend the tour into 2017, hitting new markets or doing additional dates in markets that sold out where they couldn't fit additional shows. I don't see a problem with an extension of an anniversary tour going into a second year; it's kind of just one continuous tour. They did "40th Anniversary" PS dates in early 2007.

I'd certainly rather see something else, "Smile" or otherwise. I could envision the PS tour extending through next year and then maybe doing a short "Smile" or some other '67-themed tour near the end of the year, sort of like how they only did a few PS dates for the 40th anniversary in late 2006.

Maybe we'll see a "Smile" tour start in late 2017 and extend into 2018!

It would certainly be cool to hear Al and Matt do some vocals on the "Smile" stuff!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:54:35 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: September 13, 2016, 02:39:18 PM »

It would certainly be cool to hear Al and Matt do some vocals on the "Smile" stuff!

Yes, indeed!
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: September 13, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »

What Blondie does to Wild Honey is nothing short of amazing.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: September 13, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »

Agreed - I so loved this part of the show.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: September 13, 2016, 03:41:21 PM »

Agreed - I so loved this part of the show.

I went to a PS show last month and I was yet again completely blown away by Blondie's stage presence when he was on. I hope to god he's going to be a regular on tours from now on, and I really hope he's a part of the Rock n Roll album in some form.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: September 13, 2016, 07:52:30 PM »

I'd be absolutely blown away if Brian got on board with a smile tour. The Pet Sounds tour has hit A LOT of markets this year. Sure it can be stretched a bit, but I hope they don't just spend all of 2017 doing the same thing over again, especially if they're hitting any of the same cities.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: September 14, 2016, 06:14:25 AM »

Yes, indeed!
... And Blondie too!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1617 on: September 14, 2016, 07:16:00 AM »

Would be quite interesting to hear Blondie worked into other songs in the setlist. But it appears for whatever reason they don't want to do that much. They apparently quickly dispensed with the potentially brilliant idea of having Blondie sing the bridge on "Surfer Girl", which he did for at least a few shows earlier in the tour.

Brian did two full years of "Smile" tours in 2004 and 2005, so I don't think he *needs* to do that again. I'd rather see him do a tour with a full 35-40 song setlist where he really digs in deep and does a widely-varied setlist (meaning a good 10 or more songs new to the setlist). But my main interest in hearing "Smile" again would be to hear Matt Jardine's superior falsetto on it, and to hear Al in the vocal mix and to perhaps take a few lead vocals spots.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: September 14, 2016, 07:23:35 AM »

Blondie sang the bridge to 'Surfer Girl'?? That sounds phenomenal in my mind.

I would love to see Brian take a year off of touring - or at least downsize his touring immensely. Give Brian some time to get back in the studio if he wants, record that rock album with Al, Blondie, and the band. Take to the road every other month for a few shows across the country. Not sure how feasible that is, but I'd love to see both a small tour and an album release next year.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: September 14, 2016, 09:30:01 AM »

I'd quite like to see a SMiLE show, although i'd LOVE to see Wild Honey or Love You (for the 40th) performed too. Wink

But really, what I want right now is Brian back in the studio recording as many songs as he can. (Without Joe Thomas!) I know that sounds selfish but I'd really love to get as much new material as possible while Brian's still up to it.. which i'm confident he will be for some time left. If anything, it'd be nice to be a record produced by someone like Adam Schlesinger or Andy Partridge.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1620 on: September 14, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »

But really, what I want right now is Brian back in the studio recording as many songs as he can. (Without Joe Thomas!) I know that sounds selfish but I'd really love to get as much new material as possible while Brian's still up to it..

Me too!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1621 on: September 14, 2016, 01:04:06 PM »

Okay, perhaps slowly but surely on the setlist....

Last night's appears to have added another song to bring it up to 34; the new-ish addition was "Salt Lake City."

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1622 on: September 14, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »

COMMENT:

Attended the St. Pete, FL show. Billy in hospital in LA they said.  Bringing in a replacement.
Show was sold out. I had a great time. Brian in good spirits. Alan as cordial as ever. Matt, whom I have known since he was a kid, has really developed his talent. Wonderful support to the aging Brian vocal. This time I sat in the balcony with a view of the entire floor of the stage. I thought the lighting was the highlight (pun intended) of the show. Some of the best use of lighting and creative changes I have seen in a long time. Sound mix was also good. Vocals could all be understood. Everyone was in good form. The playlist seemed to grow and grow bringing the energy to an on-your-feet-dancing climax at the end. Brian exited after his solo performance of Love and Mercy at the piano. No, actually they all took a group bow (lead by Blondie) and then Brian went straight to his bus and to bed.
As Alan and I spoke in his dressing room . . . note to those of you who have not attended one of these concerts, you better get to the next one . . . he said he didn't know how much longer they can keep this tour thing up. The shows are sold-out and the money is good, but the body is aging and becoming more tired with each closing. Brian and I are the same age and Alan is a year older at 74. Alan did look beat, but keeps up a good front. I suppose it helps to travel with your wife and son, whereas Brian is alone with only the band as company. I saw them at the same venue last year and they have been on the road almost all the time between those visits. I use to think a two-month long tour was exhausting -- can't imagine something so long.
But then, you know I always say, it's the MUSIC BUSINESS. It's not about the music only. And no one knows that more then the Beach Boy and/or Brian Wilson brand.
~swd

PS -- that last minute addition of Salt Lake City was completely unrehearsed. Brian inserted it only minutes before the show started, so what you heard was on-the-fly. Quite good however. You would never know. ~
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:17:04 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1623 on: September 14, 2016, 01:21:20 PM »

Oh no...what's going on with Billy?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1624 on: September 14, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »

Oh no...what's going on with Billy?

COMMENT to ♩♬ Dr. Billy C ♯♫♩:
I don't wish to spread half-truths, but band members said he had returned to LA and was being treated (unknown). It was not too serious but enough to require the tour to replace him until he recovers. I did not push for details as I don't think anyone really knew any details at the time.  ALL THE BEST TO BILLY H.
~swd 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx