gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:25:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472300 times)
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: May 22, 2016, 09:29:05 PM »

Can we keep this thread ON TOPIC, please???  I'm trying to follow this tour, not keep up with people's petty personal conflicts or discussions of autotune. 
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: May 22, 2016, 09:29:49 PM »

Al singing Help Me Rhonda...Damn! The guy hasn't aged a bit in 51 years vocally.

More videos please!!!

Just coming back from two London shows.
I intend to post interesting videos as soon as I get a decent connection.

Please Let Me Wonder added tonight.

That's a cool addition...  it's one track I really wished they had played in Japan!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 22, 2016, 09:35:23 PM »

Can we keep this thread ON TOPIC, please???  I'm trying to follow this tour, not keep up with people's petty personal conflicts or discussions of autotune. 

Agreed. New thread started.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23875.msg577746.html#msg577746
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 22, 2016, 09:39:38 PM »

If there was a live album in the works, I'd love to mix it. The officially released live C50 was just a complete mess, and I personally felt they deserved better.  

They certainly, absolutely deserved way better. But I would tend to think that perhaps Mike would in hindsight wish that C50 had never even happened, because of the tidal wave of animosity he received, justified or not, for the way it ended. I don't think remotely he got out of the reunion what he went in seeking. And probably at the time of the live album's release was at the peak of the bad vibes from the post-C50 fallout, which was almost exclusively centered on him.

Maybe this is reaching a bit, but it occurs to me like this album is perhaps like Mike's version of a SMiLE project - a project he apparently initiated (the reunion) wound up ending abruptly, and this album may have been something he just avoided dealing with and didn't even want to touch with a 10-foot pole, especially just months after. The fact that a contractual obligation to release a live album was probably the only reason this got released.

I just can't see any of the guys, including Brian, but perhaps especially Mike, having been actually *motivated* to make sure a really killer, exceptional document of the tour would get produced. I'm not sure I can even imagine them having been motivated to listen to it at all, even once! Compare to the 2014 release of "Keep An Eye On Summer", where clearly painstaking work was done, and many f*cks were given by the brilliant producers/compilers involved. The C50 CD/DVD stands in complete contrast, and I really can't imagine that the C50 fallout wasn't a factor in that.

That said, I will also say that the pitch correction on the Knebworth 1980 official release (especially Mike on California Girls) is excruciating to my ears. And that doesn't seem to have anything to do with bad vibes over a project. So maybe my C50 theory isn't entirely true, and that it's just something where both Mike and Brian sign off on stuff like this because they get talked into it, and leave the work (and the subjective opinion on quality control of pitch correction) to the engineers. But even aside from the pitch correction stuff on the C50 album, it also just suffers from seeming not up to par in other ways. I've actually not purchased either the CD or DVD because I don't want to listen to/watch a subpar product, and that's saying something because I buy basically every BB release. Even NASCAR.

You are probably right about them giving zero f*cks about the live album.  However, the studio album tells me that the live album may have turned out the way it did even if the reunion didn't end.  More than a fair amount of obvious pitch correction on it, imo.

Entirely possible. Yet I think that if there would've been a chance that some of the band members would have come back into the studio to re-record certain vocal parts, kind of how they did back in 1964  for the live Concert album... that scenario would only have had a chance of happening if the reunion had continued. Regardless, there could've always been someone saying "nah, don't worry about coming in to re-record it... A little Autotune'll fix that"  Grin

No doubt it could have happened, but I don't think that would have went over well with fans, either.  I'd have to go back and listen to the CD and regular fan footage from the same shows (if they're still out there), but I remember doing the comparison previously and thinking that there was no reason for autotune to be used on Mike and Brian's voices in many instances.  So I think our pal Joe just slapped it on for whatever reason.  At least someone got the message to him that it wasn't a good idea as it was dialed way back for No Pier Pressure.

My last post on this topic in this thread as I know it needs to get back on topic!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: May 23, 2016, 12:23:52 AM »

Juice Brohnston, Ghosty TMRS, guitarfool2002, no disrespect intended to the various points you are discussing, but would you mind discussing them here:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23872.msg577656/topicseen.html#msg577656

This thread has me pulling my hair out and screaming in frustration.

I vote for Emily becoming a moderator. I have no idea if you are interested in such a role, Emily, but you are a calm voice of reason around here, while the non-stop tit for tat posts are pulling the discussion off topic and do noting but serve to derail the thread. I can't imagine why someone new to the board would want to wade through such childish nonsense, not to mention those of us who are long time members.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1155 on: May 23, 2016, 12:26:19 AM »

Juice Brohnston, Ghosty TMRS, guitarfool2002, no disrespect intended to the various points you are discussing, but would you mind discussing them here:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23872.msg577656/topicseen.html#msg577656

This thread has me pulling my hair out and screaming in frustration.

I vote for Emily becoming a moderator. I have no idea if you are interested in such a role, Emily, but you are a calm voice of reason around here, while the non-stop tit for tat posts are pulling the discussion off topic and do noting but serve to derail the thread. I can't imagine why someone new to the board would want to wade through such childish nonsense, not to mention those of us who are long time members.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23872.msg577752.html#msg577752

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: May 23, 2016, 12:40:35 AM »

I must say that I really enjoyed myself last night. Smiley

- I know it's stated a lot but Al can REALLY belt it out still, its ridiculous how he sounds just as good as he did 40 years ago.
- Matt Jardine is an incredible addition to the band, and for me personally.. a big improvement on Foskett's whinier, bellowing falsetto. (IMO)
- Brian seemed to be having fun and looked really relaxed at different moments throughout.
- Al's performance of Help Me Rhonda was the clear favourite of the night, everyone was dancing their asses off for that one!
- As it should be, God Only Knows got a huge ovation.
- Paul Von Merten's stole the show on numerous occasions.
- The crowd gave a most British rendition of Happy Birthday for Nikki Wonder. Grin
- Funky Pretty! Wow! Talk about deep cuts!
- Blondie was an absolute rock star on stage. That version of Wild Honey could have gone on forever as far as I was concerned.
- This was one of the most respectful audiences I remember witnessing at a Live Show for a major act. Everyone was so supportive of Brian and the band. Every song got huge applause.
- It should be pretty obvious, but the Palladium is an absolutely beautiful venue.
- I would have liked to see some more songs post-Holland, besides Love & Mercy there's a solid gap of 42 years between songs!
- Brian's voice isn't as good as it was a few years ago, but the way he's going I could honestly see him doing this for another 10 years if he wanted to. (Although if anyone deserves a rest from touring, it should be him)
- It was lovely to see some gems like Wake The World and Add Some Music get played, I wish we could have heard Honkin' Down The Highway though!
- Brian's sense of humour came out tonight, and there were some unintentionally quite funny moments. One example is when they introduced the band one by one to audience applause, and then Brian ends up coming out at the same time as Al Jardine anyway. LOL
- Matt's lead on Don't Worry Baby was perfect.
- Despite his vocal vulnerability, Brian still has a good mid range when needed, such as on Good Vibrations.
- Although i'm fortunate to get to see the band in the US in July, I really hope this isn't the last time they come to the UK. I'd love a SMiLE tour, but a part of me would just love a new album tour. (Especially with Joe Thomas out of the picture)

All in all, an excellent night. Smiley

I took a video of God Only Knows too, not amazing quality, but I had to capture part of that experience for myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on0mBEz5TTE&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:42:53 AM by SamMcK » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1157 on: May 23, 2016, 12:51:50 AM »

- I know it's stated a lot but Al can REALLY belt it out still, its ridiculous how he sounds just as good as he did 40 years ago.
- Matt Jardine is an incredible addition to the band, and for me personally.. a big improvement on Foskett's whinier, bellowing falsetto. (IMO)
- Brian seemed to be having fun and looked really relaxed at different moments throughout.
- Al's performance of Help Me Rhonda was the clear favourite of the night, everyone was dancing their asses off for that one!
- The crowd gave a most British rendition of Happy Birthday for Nikki Wonder. Grin
- Blondie was an absolute rock star on stage. That version of Wild Honey could have gone on forever as far as I was concerned.
- This was one of the most respectful audiences I remember witnessing at a Live Show for a major act. Everyone was so supportive of Brian and the band. Every song got huge applause.
- It should be pretty obvious, but the Palladium is an absolutely beautiful venue.
- I would have liked to see some more songs post-Holland, besides Love & Mercy there's a solid gap of 42 years between songs!
- Brian's voice isn't as good as it was a few years ago, but the way he's going I could honestly see him doing this for another 10 years if he wanted to. (Although if anyone deserves a rest from touring, it should be him)
- It was lovely to see some gems like Wake The World and Add Some Music get played, I wish we could have heard Honkin' Down The Highway though!
- Brian's sense of humour came out tonight, and there were some unintentionally quite funny moments. One example is when they introduced the band one by one to audience applause, and then Brian ends up coming out at the same time as Al Jardine anyway. LOL
- Despite his vocal vulnerability, Brian still has a good mid range when needed, such as on Good Vibrations.
- Although i'm fortunate to get to see the band in the US in July, I really hope this isn't the last time they come to the UK. I'd love a SMiLE tour, but a part of me would just love a new album tour. (Especially with Joe Thomas out of the picture)

I took a video of God Only Knows too, not amazing quality, but I had to capture part of that experience for myself.

Awesome. Have to ask - Did they do Please Let Me Wonder?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: May 23, 2016, 12:55:56 AM »

Is anyone offering the "Smiley Smile" sweatshirts (the ones with the smiling face like Al is seen wearing in some old band pics) ? I remember about a decade ago or so, someone on one of the boards made either one for himself or a very small run of them but I think that was it, and that would be a great thing to wear to the shows. Especially in the fall when a sweatshirt may be needed.

I have one...  T shirt version.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: May 23, 2016, 01:04:22 AM »

Yep, it was a great performance! The setlist is already up, 40 songs in total:

Set 1:

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls
Dance, Dance, Dance
I Get Around
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Little Honda
Please Let Me Wonder
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby
Wake the World
Add Some Music to Your Day
Cotton Fields
Do It Again
One Kind of Love
Wild Honey
Funky Pretty
Sail On, Sailor

Set 2: Pet Sounds

Wouldn't It Be Nice
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
I'm Waiting for the Day
Let's Go Away for Awhile
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
I Know There's an Answer
Here Today
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No

Encore:

Good Vibrations
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' U.S.A.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Love and Mercy

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2016/the-palladium-london-england-33fea005.html
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:05:49 AM by SamMcK » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1160 on: May 23, 2016, 01:05:00 AM »

Is anyone offering the "Smiley Smile" sweatshirts (the ones with the smiling face like Al is seen wearing in some old band pics) ? I remember about a decade ago or so, someone on one of the boards made either one for himself or a very small run of them but I think that was it, and that would be a great thing to wear to the shows. Especially in the fall when a sweatshirt may be needed.

I have one...  T shirt version.

Nice!!! Where did you get it, and can they still be ordered? I missed out when they first appeared and have regretted not trying to get one for years.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1161 on: May 23, 2016, 01:06:07 AM »

Yep, it was a great performance! The setlist is already up:

Set 1:

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls
Dance, Dance, Dance
I Get Around
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Little Honda
Please Let Me Wonder
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby
Wake the World
Cotton Fields
Do It Again
One Kind of Love
Wild Honey
Funky Pretty
Sail On, Sailor

Wouldn't It Be Nice
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
I'm Waiting for the Day
Let's Go Away for Awhile
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
I Know There's an Answer
Here Today
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No

Encore:

Good Vibrations
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' U.S.A.
Play Video
Fun, Fun, Fun
Love and Mercy

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2016/the-palladium-london-england-33fea005.html

That's great, thank you! And thanks for sharing your review too!

T2458
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: May 23, 2016, 01:40:13 AM »

Thanks for the review - thought I'd quote it again as that seems to fill the pages up on this site.  Really envious that you got "Please let me wonder" and "Cottonfields" - we definitely got short changed on Friday.

Also great that you squeezed in a London review despite the obvious and deliberate blocking of this topic over the last week or more.  It's been very difficult to appreciate what happened on a key part of the tour until your note appeared.

Cheerio
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1163 on: May 23, 2016, 03:21:49 AM »

Wow, this is getting pretty off-topic.

Perhaps a mod could come in and redirect the conversation back to this year's great tour?

You're  joking, aren't you? This show has legs.  However, maybe we could switch all this thrust and parry to an Ask Guitarfool thread before yet another nail is hammered  into the board's coffin and we can get back to the topic in hand...

A thread to talk or a thread to blame me for everything perceived to be wrong with this board?  Smiley

I'm curious who either provided the nails or swung the hammer on the number of Beach Boys related boards in the past that either imploded or simply fell apart (or never got off the ground). Cabinessence, Shut Down, Male Ego, The Record Room, The Vibe Room, The Smile Shop, The Sunshine Pop board (or whatever the title)...I was only a regular poster and registered member of The Smile Shop, and the reasons why that folded didn't involve me at all but you could always ask those it did involve.

So what were the reasons why the others collapsed...could it be some of the same people causing the same issues from board to board that led to whatever arguments and issues and all else? The same people getting warnings, bans, and even getting the boot from those forums who also came here? This board is still standing. Even the recent Hoffman board exodus (another board I'm not registered and do not post) was eventually crushed when the mods there must have gotten fed up with it and ended up deleting all of the discussions that heavily featured members who were banned from this board and who have axes to grind. I guess I was to blame for that too?

The Cab board/Shut Down? Personally speaking, I came here after AGD and others with knowledge decamped and because I got pissed off by a couple of posters who bullied others - which is kinda ironic when you realise who one of them was. The other boards? I don't know, except for The Record Room, which I only visited occasionally and didn't care for its ego-simonizing. I don't think people left there because of the posters you're being careful not to reference. Still think your own personal board would improve things. Posters can blame you for not doing enough about those who ruin thread after thread by whining about Mike or to blame you and your cheering section for the perception that they're not allowed to criticise Brian (even though they're all fans) and you can write and they can read and re-read your justifications until everyone's heart is content.  

Stuff doesn't belong in a thread about Brian's 2016 tour, however.

Posters can blame me but am I the only moderator and do I make decisions on my own to do or not do something, then act alone when doing it? Despite some who believe otherwise, the answer is a firm "no". Yet I get singled out. If there is a need for my own board or thread or whatever else (and there very well could be a sub forum or thread here in the sandbox or wherever if that's what posters want), at least have it be factually based on how this board is actually moderated and not based on false claims or assumptions.

Was it not enough when in the past 6 months myself, Billy, Klaas, and most recently Charles have in various threads all posted public statements and refuted all the charges about rogue moderators, moderators who bully others, and whatever other bogus statements were being made about the moderation of this board? I guess I'm the only one who is expected to do something even though it's a team effort and decisions are made by consensus.

I wasn't assuming anything, just getting tired of the same old dickery. Besides, someone's made it happen
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 23, 2016, 03:57:49 AM »

Yep, it was a great performance! The setlist is already up, 40 songs in total:

Set 1:

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls
Dance, Dance, Dance
I Get Around
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Little Honda
Please Let Me Wonder
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby
Wake the World
Cotton Fields
Do It Again
One Kind of Love
Wild Honey
Funky Pretty
Sail On, Sailor

Wouldn't It Be Nice
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
I'm Waiting for the Day
Let's Go Away for Awhile
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
I Know There's an Answer
Here Today
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No

Encore:

Good Vibrations
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' U.S.A.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Love and Mercy

Thanks for sharing!  We got 40 songs in Osaka...  looks like you guys got the 2nd 40-song show of the tour! 
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: May 23, 2016, 04:22:41 AM »

I'm off to the Manchester show tomorrow, if anyone is going as well hit me up!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 23, 2016, 05:42:35 AM »

Some photos from yesterday's show:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153756028329685.1073741825.549439684&type=1&l=8a74ea134f

(hope it works)

Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: May 23, 2016, 06:28:00 AM »

I posted my thoughts in the UK Pet Sounds Review thread, but I copied it here as well.

I was at the show at The Palladium last Saturday and before you read the rest, I had an amazing night and it was great. BUT...

It was just sad to see him on stage like that. He didn't really hit the right notes, his voice was just ruff. And he totally didn't seem to be in the same room as the rest of the band. He never smiled or laughed or anything (at least from my seat). It was really depressing to see him there. And before the break he didn't even stay on stage until the last song was over.  It was kind of weird. If I was just a random fan, someone who only went to the show because it said Brian Wilson and Pet Sounds, I would never go to a Brian Wlson show again.

I always go to Brian shows because of his amazing band. If he didn't have them it would be even more awkward. Blondie on the other hand was out of control and rocking the house!

But you have to give him credit for having the courage to go on tour and perform albums like Smile and Pet Sounds. Mike would never do stuff like this.  So as long as Brian is touring I will always go, because I'm a fan of his music and his band, but not of his stage-appearance. And like every other Brian show, I still ha a blast because of the band.

A few questions that someone here might be able to answer:
1. Is he aware of his live voice?
2. Why does he still go on tour when he's clearly not enjoying being on stage?

So much from me,
Rüdiger
IainLee
« Reply #1168 on: May 23, 2016, 07:31:58 AM »

My six year old son did ask an excellent question

'Why does Brian Wilson have a piano in front of him if he never plays it?'
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 23, 2016, 07:41:11 AM »

My six year old son did ask an excellent question

'Why does Brian Wilson have a piano in front of him if he never plays it?'

The answer is: "Shut up and drink your juice, that's why"   Grin

But seriously, he does play it but very irregularly and it's not really included in the audience mix.
I've seen many of his gigs, including from side stage, and I've seen him play some songs all the way through and correctly (e.g. Surfer Girl, California Girls and other classics) and some songs just the chorus or just some chords here and there.   His piano is well audible from his stage monitor.
Yesterday night I was on front row and I could hear his piano coming from his monitor at times, and in couple of occasions he hit keys between songs and that was very audible.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1170 on: May 23, 2016, 07:49:15 AM »

I'm not trying to be the old cranky internet dude, and I know it's not always easy for newer fans to go back and read 17-year-old fan discussions (or even find them), but some of these are "1999 questions" for lack of a better way to put it. And frankly, some of these issues go back to Brian's 1976 return to the touring band. The last time Brian gave a totally unaffected, not-weird-in-any-possible-way live performance on stage, was probably 1965. Even his brief 1970 Pacific Northwest stint got a few sketchy reviews.

I don't think some questions about Brian's stage demeanor are unwarranted. But really, who buys tickets to a Brian Wilson show not *already knowing* what his deal is? There are a million YouTube videos, numerous official video releases (Brian's stage presence is *never* not at least a little weird, even on the official DVD releases), and so on.

It's like going to a Bob Dylan gig and asking why his voice sounds weird, or asking why McCartney does his "now all the boys, now all the girls" bit during "Hey Jude", or why Mike Love points to his temples or "drives" the mic stand like it's a steering wheel (dunno if he still does that one), or why Bruce claps and points. It's just part of the gig.

Brian has never looked completely relaxed and slick on stage. Ever. I've seen him come surprisingly and pleasantly close on some occasions (when I saw him on the 2000 "Pet Sounds" tour, he didn't touch the piano and just sat on his chair and sang a bunch of the show with his eyes closed, like he was recording in the studio; he sounded good, was in a *great* mood, etc.).

But I can't imagine dropping major coin for a BW show and being surprised by his stage demeanor and performance. He sometimes lacks energy, he hits a sour note once in while, he biffs the lyrics once in awhile. Sometimes some of those things are more on point, sometimes not as much.

The leaving before the last song thing is something Brian has been doing for years. I always assumed, while stilted, he's doing the same thing George Harrison did at the "Concert for Bangla Desh." He's leaving for slight dramatic effect and letting the band play out. Many leaders of bands have done this over the years. Brian's not great on showmanship, so it does kind of have the comical effect of just abruptly leaving. But again, this is all par for the course for Brian.

Go watch TV shows and live shows going back to the 70s. Brian (and the BBs on the whole at varying times over the years) have had moments where casual fans probably asked "Wtf?"

The piano thing is mostly for comfort. Brian does play some, often not. Go watch his late night Dick Clark talk show performance from 1988. *That's* why Brian doesn't just grab a mic and stand and perform!

When Brian first started touring in 1999, I think he probably felt the same as he does now: He mainly wants to just sing at his shows. We know he *can* play piano, but he doesn't want to at live gigs too much. So for early 1999 gigs, someone (whether it was someone else or Brian himself) made the weird and misguided decision that led to him feeling like he needed to keep moving his hands on the keyboard even if he wasn't playing. That *was* fake, obviously so, and was misguided for numerous reasons including that it gave the incorrect impression Brian couldn't play. Thankfully, by later in that same year, and certainly by 2000, he just kept the piano on stage but didn't play it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:54:18 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
IainLee
« Reply #1171 on: May 23, 2016, 07:58:28 AM »

Gosh. Sorry. I wasn't trying to start anything.

I KNOW why Brian doesn't play the piano much. I thought I was just sharing something cute my son said.

I explained that Brian had had a tough life and wasn't very well and having a piano made him feel safe.

This really is a very very odd place. And most unwelcoming.

I wasn't posting it as a question.

Apologies if that post wasn't up to the usual high standard you guys have come to expect on here.

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 23, 2016, 08:21:56 AM »

Another performer who leaves the stage before the song is finished is Ringo Starr..  who is way more comfortable in front of an audience than Brian.  On his last tour, at least, he'd leave 1-2 minutes before the last song ended while the band jammed to the conclusion.. and he didn't even come back to bow with everyone.  Brian's at least there after "Love & Mercy" holding hands with the other guys.

As for the question of who would go to a Brian show without knowing what to expect..  my parents.  I'm going in September and after seeing "Love & Mercy" they dropped SERIOUS coin.  I'm very anxious they are going to rain on my parade by being surprised how uncomfortable Brian is no matter how much I try to explain it to them in advance.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:23:03 AM by TV Forces » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: May 23, 2016, 08:26:19 AM »

I'm not trying to be the old cranky internet dude, and I know it's not always easy for newer fans to go back and read 17-year-old fan discussions (or even find them), but some of these are "1999 questions" for lack of a better way to put it. And frankly, some of these issues go back to Brian's 1976 return to the touring band. The last time Brian gave a totally unaffected, not-weird-in-any-possible-way live performance on stage, was probably 1965. Even his brief 1970 Pacific Northwest stint got a few sketchy reviews.

I don't think some questions about Brian's stage demeanor are unwarranted. But really, who buys tickets to a Brian Wilson show not *already knowing* what his deal is? There are a million YouTube videos, numerous official video releases (Brian's stage presence is *never* not at least a little weird, even on the official DVD releases), and so on.

It's like going to a Bob Dylan gig and asking why his voice sounds weird, or asking why McCartney does his "now all the boys, now all the girls" bit during "Hey Jude", or why Mike Love points to his temples or "drives" the mic stand like it's a steering wheel (dunno if he still does that one), or why Bruce claps and points. It's just part of the gig.

Brian has never looked completely relaxed and slick on stage. Ever. I've seen him come surprisingly and pleasantly close on some occasions (when I saw him on the 2000 "Pet Sounds" tour, he didn't touch the piano and just sat on his chair and sang a bunch of the show with his eyes closed, like he was recording in the studio; he sounded good, was in a *great* mood, etc.).

But I can't imagine dropping major coin for a BW show and being surprised by his stage demeanor and performance. He sometimes lacks energy, he hits a sour note once in while, he biffs the lyrics once in awhile. Sometimes some of those things are more on point, sometimes not as much.

The leaving before the last song thing is something Brian has been doing for years. I always assumed, while stilted, he's doing the same thing George Harrison did at the "Concert for Bangla Desh." He's leaving for slight dramatic effect and letting the band play out. Many leaders of bands have done this over the years. Brian's not great on showmanship, so it does kind of have the comical effect of just abruptly leaving. But again, this is all par for the course for Brian.

Go watch TV shows and live shows going back to the 70s. Brian (and the BBs on the whole at varying times over the years) have had moments where casual fans probably asked "Wtf?"

The piano thing is mostly for comfort. Brian does play some, often not. Go watch his late night Dick Clark talk show performance from 1988. *That's* why Brian doesn't just grab a mic and stand and perform!

When Brian first started touring in 1999, I think he probably felt the same as he does now: He mainly wants to just sing at his shows. We know he *can* play piano, but he doesn't want to at live gigs too much. So for early 1999 gigs, someone (whether it was someone else or Brian himself) made the weird and misguided decision that led to him feeling like he needed to keep moving his hands on the keyboard even if he wasn't playing. That *was* fake, obviously so, and was misguided for numerous reasons including that it gave the incorrect impression Brian couldn't play. Thankfully, by later in that same year, and certainly by 2000, he just kept the piano on stage but didn't play it.
At intermissions, questions about Brian come up at every show that I attend. Not everyone that goes to shows are all familiar with Brian on stage. Also, I was watching the Cardiff show I believe, on YouTube yesterday, and it sure looked like Brian was playing on Sail On Sailor. The side shots showed both hands playing chords.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: May 23, 2016, 08:32:55 AM »

I posted my thoughts in the UK Pet Sounds Review thread, but I copied it here as well.

I was at the show at The Palladium last Saturday and before you read the rest, I had an amazing night and it was great. BUT...

It was just sad to see him on stage like that. He didn't really hit the right notes, his voice was just ruff. And he totally didn't seem to be in the same room as the rest of the band. He never smiled or laughed or anything (at least from my seat). It was really depressing to see him there. And before the break he didn't even stay on stage until the last song was over.  It was kind of weird. If I was just a random fan, someone who only went to the show because it said Brian Wilson and Pet Sounds, I would never go to a Brian Wlson show again.

I always go to Brian shows because of his amazing band. If he didn't have them it would be even more awkward. Blondie on the other hand was out of control and rocking the house!

But you have to give him credit for having the courage to go on tour and perform albums like Smile and Pet Sounds. Mike would never do stuff like this.  So as long as Brian is touring I will always go, because I'm a fan of his music and his band, but not of his stage-appearance. And like every other Brian show, I still ha a blast because of the band.

A few questions that someone here might be able to answer:
1. Is he aware of his live voice?
2. Why does he still go on tour when he's clearly not enjoying being on stage?

So much from me,
Rüdiger

The Saturday show was great - the one I frankly expected to be the best, with a very excited and enthusiastic audience. But IMO (and admittedly, I was very tired, having only got to bed at 3 am on Saturday morning so not in the best frame of mind to appreciate the Saturday show) the Sunday show was even better. Brian DID smile during this one. He was smiling during Blondie's brilliant Wild Honey rendition and he continued to smile. At one point he got up and waved to the audience, causing an immediate outpouring of love and making me realise how much more response he would have got with just a few more such actions. He is so loved by his fans.

As for Brian's awareness of his voice, there's this, from the Manchester Evening News: "'“On stage is kind of scary. The eyes are watching. I might sing good or not sing good,” says Brian about live performance - a part of the job he once famously avoided. “But I’ve got (former Beach Boys members) Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin on tour with me and they’re both great singers and help me out.” ' http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/brian-wilson-pet-sounds-isnt-11321275
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:34:49 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx