gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:34:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 475655 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1100 on: May 22, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »

Yeah, and how about the number of people who don't post because they feel if they post an honest opinion that goes against the party line they will be labeled Brian Haters or accused of being on The Lovester's payroll?  They can't all be on the payroll.  

Yeah, how about it - Is your suggestion now that two wrongs make a right, or at least cancel each other out? There are opinions on all sides and those expressing them or even soliciting them can't expect those who don't see it the same way to not offer a debate, as long as it doesn't go too far into personal insults. If someone writes in a review that going to a Brian Wilson concert is akin to the family pushing Grandpa out in a wheelchair for Thanksgiving dinner, do you think people won't react and respond in kind and blast that kind of thing if they take offense?

But for years new fans were coming here and being either scared off or intimidated into not posting basic questions because of what was seen as the prevailing attitude on this board. I have heard from fans who said they felt they were at risk of being called idiots, trolls, or any number of other names if they posted what was judged by whoever thought it was their duty to be naive or uninformed, in fact quite a few actually were. Therefore there was a reluctance to post here, and that became one of the images this board picked up as a result. maybe that is one of the reasons why some labeled the board toxic - Hopefully that's in the past.

Did you think that was OK seeing new fans being raked over the coals for asking questions?

You've missed the point.  I don't mind people leaping to Brian's defence if they feel a review has been harsh or don't agree with the sentiments expressed.  That's what the board is about - discussion.  What I, and others, take offence to is you and others claiming they have an agenda for saying maybe Brian should quit touring, or maybe his voice wasn't up to scratch when they saw him play.  I'm sure most people give an honest assessment of how they see it.  If you see it another way fine. But don't (especially as a MOD) accuse people of an agenda or being on Mike's payroll.  Many of these fans you 'call out' have spent thousands of dollars/pounds supporting Brian and the Beach Boys over the years.  They would pay £60 a ticket to cheer Brian just for everything he's done, but they still have the right to comment on how he appears or sounds on stage.  As you have the right to defend him and have a different opinion.  Think back to your reaction to the autotune discussion of NPP.  You were desperate to discredit those who claimed it was used.  Yet, Brian himself has said he uses it on vocals.  It didn't ruin my enjoyment of the album but might have done for others, doesn't mean they had an agenda.

I'm sorry to Emily and others for being off topic, I just feel strongly about all of this.  Maybe some honesty would be great all round.  I'll start by saying I love the Beach Boys, everyone of them.  But when it comes down to it I would go and see Brian if both he and the Beach Boys were in town on the same night! But I don't dislike any of them and value all their contributions.  That's what made/makes them such a uniquely talented group. Smiley

Can you find one example of me accusing anyone of being "on the payroll"? If the talk is of agendas, there was one definite example which involved efforts to get me out as a moderator here, and there is proof of it that got carried onto another BB's forum. Otherwise I never would have brought it up. No conspiracy, no tinfoil hat speculation, but something that actually happened. But...it is funny to me that a mod or mods on another forum supposed to be about the Beach Boys and their music allowed that thread which was a place to bash me publicly to continue despite that topic having f**k-all to do with the Beach Boys or their music, and it became the most popular topic that board has seen in at least a year. I'll say again, maybe I should feel honored that it turned out that way! "You're welcome" might be in order for giving the membership there something to post about that ran up the clicks and post totals which the "on topic" posts couldn't seem to do.

Now when others see the same posters saying the same things on the same forums going back a decade about Brian's voice, about how he should retire, about related topics where the chorus always seems to be singing the same notes...wouldn't it be expected some might notice and call that out specifically, or at least question it? No one is calling for bans, censorship, or anything that I saw, but if there is such a coincidence in any topic going back that long surely some readers would spot it and mention it. That was the same deal with the autotune issue, there were a lot of comments about it to where it looked like something other than fans voicing opinions. Should people not mention it or single it out if they see something unusual like that repeating itself from place to place?

Also - check this out  Smiley  :

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 22, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »

Someone posted this video of a couple of impressions of the show from May 15th. Check it out and be sure to catch Blondie's dedication to Dennis and Carl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmHVAygk8cc
Nice!!!! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1102 on: May 22, 2016, 11:53:25 AM »

I feel the same way as mikeddon. All I ask for is consistency. I don't even care if you are tough or lenient, but however you decide to moderate, you do it the same whether a person is pro-Brian, pro-Mike or just an overall fan of the Beach Boys.

Moderation here is a team effort. It's not however or whoever "you" might be decides to act alone, so such decisions shouldn't be expected from nor should they be blamed on one person as has been done despite the issue being addressed by all mods since December 2015 whenever it came up.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 22, 2016, 12:06:19 PM »

Exactly, the "rogue GF drama" around here is bullshit. Moderation is a team effort for sure!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 22, 2016, 12:06:51 PM »

No, he uses Pro Tools pitch correction.

http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2016/05/13/the-exchange-podcast-brian-wilsons-good-vibes/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1105 on: May 22, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »

Someone posted this video of a couple of impressions of the show from May 15th. Check it out and be sure to catch Blondie's dedication to Dennis and Carl.

Nice!!!! Cool

That is nice! The quality of that video is really, really good...kudos for that.

For those interested, Blondie is at 11:15.

Starting at 17:27 there are clips of GOK - IKTAA - Here Today - and IJWMFTT that are really top notch.

I wish there were longer versions of these specific songs! Love to see Al with a 6-string banjo and singing IKTAA, i just wish the video had shown him playing Glen's original banjo break that night! I really enjoyed Brian's vocals on IJWMFTT, it's really cool to hear him singing live on that melody of all melodies, a personal favorite. Matt Jardine sounded great on falsetto and seems to have won the crowd over again, cool that they played him on for the encore with "Carry On" by Kansas! Same with Gary Griffin's entrance music "Tighten Up"...that's cool stuff.

I'll have to wait to see it in person when the tour gets back to the US, but that video quality was so good I wish they had also posted the Theremin break on IJWMFTT and that bridge from Here Today.

Great stuff...thanks to the YouTube uploader for posting the original video and Rocker for the link too!  Smiley

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1106 on: May 22, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »

Al singing Help Me Rhonda...Damn! The guy hasn't aged a bit in 51 years vocally.

More videos please!!!

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 22, 2016, 12:50:06 PM »

Nice!!!! Cool

That is nice! The quality of that video is really, really good...kudos for that.

Starting at 17:27 there are clips of GOK - IKTAA - Here Today - and IJWMFTT that are really top notch.

I wish there were longer versions of these specific songs! Love to see Al with a 6-string banjo and singing IKTAA, i just wish the video had shown him playing Glen's original banjo break that night! I really enjoyed Brian's vocals on IJWMFTT, it's really cool to hear him singing live on that melody of all melodies, a personal favorite. Matt Jardine sounded great on falsetto and seems to have won the crowd over again, cool that they played him on for the encore with "Carry On" by Kansas! Same with Gary Griffin's entrance music "Tighten Up"...that's cool stuff.

I'll have to wait to see it in person when the tour gets back to the US, but that video quality was so good I wish they had also posted the Theremin break on IJWMFTT and that bridge from Here Today.

Great stuff...thanks to the YouTube uploader for posting the original video and Rocker for the link too!  Smiley
Thanks!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Liam McParland
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 22, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »

I'm growing increasingly desperate, do you guys think there's ANY chance of me finding a Meet and Greet pack for Seattle on Oct 8?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1109 on: May 22, 2016, 01:05:07 PM »

I'm growing increasingly desperate, do you guys think there's ANY chance of me finding a Meet and Greet pack for Seattle on Oct 8?

Try these links, Liam. I only had to search the venue website and another related search to find the first link, which appears to be offering the Meet N Greet packages, however it does specifically say "no tickets are currently available" so it's probably sold out (?)

http://protected.tickets.com/buy/TicketOnsale?agency=STG_VIP6&orgid=30247&poid=126076

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?pid=8184119&orgid=30247&mkt_code=SOCIAL

And if that doesn't get you what you're looking for, try if you haven't done so already to call the venue direct, here is their link with contact info:
http://www.stgpresents.org/tickets/eventdetail/2495/-/

And if nothing is available i guess the only outlet left would be searching the brokers and re-sellers if they have any VIP packages available.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:05:47 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: May 22, 2016, 01:32:25 PM »

I feel the same way as mikeddon. All I ask for is consistency. I don't even care if you are tough or lenient, but however you decide to moderate, you do it the same whether a person is pro-Brian, pro-Mike or just an overall fan of the Beach Boys.

Moderation here is a team effort. It's not however or whoever "you" might be decides to act alone, so such decisions shouldn't be expected from nor should they be blamed on one person as has been done despite the issue being addressed by all mods since December 2015 whenever it came up.
Tell you what to do then, when you post, let us know when your mod hat is off or on. See, I am never quite sure when I see you address negative Brian comments so vigorously, yet rarely or never touch negative Mike comments. It always looks like you are taking sides. Due to some posts reading like edicts, some of us assume that is mod Craig, not fan Craig addressing us.

We really should take this elsewhere. Maybe in the mod area?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 22, 2016, 01:58:30 PM »

Thanks Cam! Saves me having to post that link.  I mentioned it on that thread but GuitarFool or no one else responded just like he hasn't responded after you posted it here.  Maybe he just missed it or maybe he's happy to take Brian's word for it on one hand when it suits but not on the other when it doesn't.

GF there is no point in going back and forth on this you won't budge.  Neither will I.  Remember that thread about the pictures from Love and Mercy and you tried to argue we didn't even know if hey were trying to recreate the Paradise Cove shoot when people expressed some concern about the wrong vehicle being used?  That is symptomatic of the arguing black is white you do on here.  Along with the no pitch correction (yes, I now I called it autotune earlier!).  Now you are implying we can't discuss tickets and meet and greet stuff in the Tour thread.  Forgive me if I'm wrong but are those issues not pertinent to the Tour?  The thread title doesn't say it's only for specific show talk.  And you are wondering why people are getting fed up having you as a Moderator?  For the record, I don't think it would be nice to have people talking about you on other boards.  I don't like to see that and wouldn't pile on someone but people are frustrated.  And I want you to know I don't have any axe to grind with you personally and I enjoy reading your other posts (for example when your talking about the gear the guys used and the actual vehicle used in the aforementioned photo shoot, etc. That stuff is informative)  Anyway, don't be offended if I don't say anymore on this but feel free to respond.  

Now for the love of Brian, let's get back to the music!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:03:11 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 22, 2016, 01:59:42 PM »

Nice!!!! Cool

Also loved the ending to L&M (from You Still Believe in Me). Loved seeing everybody dancing

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
IainLee
« Reply #1113 on: May 22, 2016, 02:00:45 PM »

The Smiley Smile Message Board
1996-2016
RIP
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 22, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »

1996-2016
RIP

Nah Ian, this is a quiet day here.  Did you miss the AGD discussion now in the Sandbox?  Cheesy
IainLee
« Reply #1115 on: May 22, 2016, 02:08:24 PM »

I did. Yeah. I'm only an occasional visitor here and post even less. Just wanted to see what people thought of last nights London show and I seem to have wandered into a mental maelstrom!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: May 22, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »

I did. Yeah. I'm only an occasional visitor here and post even less. Just wanted to see what people thought of last nights London show and I seem to have wandered into a mental maelstrom!
My point.
Liam McParland
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 22, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »

Try these links, Liam. I only had to search the venue website and another related search to find the first link, which appears to be offering the Meet N Greet packages, however it does specifically say "no tickets are currently available" so it's probably sold out (?)

http://protected.tickets.com/buy/TicketOnsale?agency=STG_VIP6&orgid=30247&poid=126076

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?pid=8184119&orgid=30247&mkt_code=SOCIAL

And if that doesn't get you what you're looking for, try if you haven't done so already to call the venue direct, here is their link with contact info:

And if nothing is available i guess the only outlet left would be searching the brokers and re-sellers if they have any VIP packages available.

Yeah alas I seem to have exhausted my options, I'll hold off for another month or two at which point I'll just buy a regular ticket if I haven't found anything
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1118 on: May 22, 2016, 02:30:46 PM »

Thanks Cam! Saves me having to post that link.  I mentioned it on that thread but GuitarFool or no one else responded just like he hasn't responded after you posted it here.  Maybe he just missed it or maybe he's happy to take Brian's word for it on one hand when it suits but not on the other when it doesn't.

GF there is no point in going back and forth on this you won't budge.  Neither will I.  Remember that thread about the pictures from Love and Mercy and you tried to argue we didn't even know if hey were trying to recreate the Paradise Cove shoot when people expressed some concern about the wrong vehicle being used?  That is symptomatic of the arguing black is white you do on here.  Along with the no pitch correction (yes, I now I called it autotune earlier!).  Now you are implying we can't discuss tickets and meet and greet stuff in the Tour thread.  Forgive me if I'm wrong but are those issues not pertinent to the Tour?  The thread title doesn't say it's only for specific show talk.  And you are wondering why people are getting fed up having you as a Moderator?  For the record, I don't think it would be nice to have people talking about you on other boards.  I don't like to see that and wouldn't pile on someone but people are frustrated.  And I want you to know I don't have any axe to grind with you personally and I enjoy reading your other posts (for example when your talking about the gear the guys used and the actual vehicle used in the aforementioned photo shoot, etc. That stuff is informative)  Anyway, don't be offended if I don't say anymore on this but feel free to respond.  

Now for the love of Brian, let's get back to the music!

I have a time limit for responding?  Smiley

Pro Tools is a DAW, digital recording software program. 99% or more of pro engineers use a separate plug-in made by other manufacturers for pitch correction software because the built-in "Elastic Pitch" effect that is in Pro Tools just isn't used that often, in fact unless the newest ProTools versions have updated this, I think it used to be dependent on other "Elastic" functions being applied as well, like the time stretching for loops and sequences and all of that jazz. So I'm responding to a statement that was similar to hearing a comment about "Chevrolet tires", it wasn't lining up to me because Pro Tools is not pitch correction, it's recording/mixing/editing software and pitch correction plug-ins are separate items to install. What was he talking about exactly, editing? Comping vocal tracks? Pitching up a trailing vocal note at the end of a phrase? If it were more definite I'd have a more definite answer, but Cam's wording of "Pro Tools pitch correction" is like "Chevrolet tires" to me, and I don't know what he's referring to, or whether Cam can clarify more on what Brian was referring to in that podcast interview.

With that out of the way...

I just replied to someone asking for ticket info on Meet N Greet packages in Seattle - and I'm on the opposite coast, with no plans to travel to Seattle or no connections to Seattle or those tickets at all! If it were a case of me calling the shots solo and deleting posts and banning people, and if it were my call on pre-sale codes and asking about ticket sales, I would have deleted the comment and other previous ones too rather than answering the guy's question since it appeared while i was on the thread. If readers want to read about the shows themselves, plan meet-ups, post videos, etc, I'm right along with them. But sometimes - for me and maybe I'm the only one - it gets tedious if there is request after request for pre-sale codes and ticket sales info as has happened in the past. Maybe there should be a separate thread for *those* requests as well, while we're at it? That way, the actual shows and everything related are in one place, and those posting "Anyone have any pre-sale codes for The Beacon..." etc can go to one place to get that info separate from the other info. It could be better for all concerned.

So it's my opinion that is objectionable, or the fact that I express opinions at all? Again, this was already addressed by other mods, and some would say there have been numerous posters past and present (and possibly future) who have openly suggested people were idiots for daring to post questions they were apparently supposed to know before asking, and that was acceptable? Even if it wasn't they got away with it, right? So my opinions have to be withheld, even though previous mods did not have anywhere near that restrictions, and I have to identify who I'm posting as before entering a debate or discussion?

I guess if someone agrees with the sentiment or the opinion, it's acceptable. If not, it's not. Am I reading that correctly? It feels like selective outrage, to be quite honest, considering some things that happened in the past 10 years on this board where no one seemed to take issue and those that did were dismissed.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1119 on: May 22, 2016, 02:35:24 PM »

Yeah alas I seem to have exhausted my options, I'll hold off for another month or two at which point I'll just buy a regular ticket if I haven't found anything

I have no idea if the tickets for the VIP have sold out already, or have not gone on sale yet - Have you checked with the venue itself? If not I'd definitely give them a call this week and see if they've even opened up the sales for the VIP packages yet. If you have already, then I'm guessing that's pretty much a done deal, because I think those packages at most venues are non-refundable and limited to a certain number, which means it's doubtful any spots will open up.

Best advice all around is call the venue directly, and keep pestering them if they're hedging on the info.  Grin

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 22, 2016, 02:42:52 PM »

Brian has given multiple interviews where he talk about pitch correction and how great it is to go back fix a bad note here and there and make everything perfect. The idea that this upsets some "purists" is ridiculous to me. Why wouldn't he use it? If that's what Brian wants to do, then it's fine by me. I'll take Brian's opinion over the "purists" any day.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 22, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »

Hey guitar fool, are you a moderator over at the official Brian Wilson site board? There was some discussion of it in a sandbox thread, but I was confused as to whether it was you or someone else.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: May 22, 2016, 02:46:29 PM »

Juice Brohnston, Ghosty TMRS, guitarfool2002, no disrespect intended to the various points you are discussing, but would you mind discussing them here:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23872.msg577656/topicseen.html#msg577656
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 22, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »

Brian has given multiple interviews where he talk about pitch correction and how great it is to go back fix a bad note here and there and make everything perfect. The idea that this upsets some "purists" is ridiculous to me. Why wouldn't he use it? If that's what Brian wants to do, then it's fine by me. I'll take Brian's opinion over the "purists" any day.
Autotune, pitch correction has never bothered me on any of the studio product, but I think that the C50 Live album used it to terrible effect.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1124 on: May 22, 2016, 02:57:03 PM »

1996-2016
RIP

What?

Keep in mind who defended you when the majority of posters commenting to your own thread about hating Mike Love were accusing you of trolling, of deliberately stirring up the sh*t to cause problems, and demanding that the thread be locked/deleted. And I honestly don't remember, but there may have even been calls to ban the thread's author, one Iain Lee. I remember it well because knowing who you were and knowing your previous interviews and general fan enthusiasm for music like The Monkees (which I share), you were getting a raw deal and I was one who tried to show support. And you were not banned, the thread was not deleted despite calls to do so, and lo and behold the truth of who you really were did come out. Did anyone apologize for getting it wrong, or for suggesting things based on false or untrue information about you or your motives?

If not, join the club.  Smiley 

I also hope my positive comments directed your way, as written to another board member who you know, reached you as well, because I basically said I hoped all was well with you especially with what you had been dealing with earlier this year, and hoped you would reconsider coming back to have a dialogue about your article, despite those accusing you of trolling and worse and the reactions it generated, some of which were very out of line.

So I'm hoping in light of the reality of my own support of what you went through being called a troll and worse and blamed for things you were not doing, you're not trying to pin the hypothetical death of this board on me personally, because that would be a real kick in the ass on many levels. And I was, honestly, 100% sincere in what I said and hoped would reach your eyes or ears as well.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx