gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:37:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Scott Weiland  (Read 8481 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 07:05:14 PM »

Thanks for the playlist, Fear 2 Stop, I'd never taken the time to explore his catalog. Sad that it took this to prompt me. Been listening all day.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 08:26:51 PM »

Thanks for the playlist, Fear 2 Stop, I'd never taken the time to explore his catalog. Sad that it took this to prompt me. Been listening all day.

His catalog of work (both with bands and solo) is great to listen to. There's a reason why he was my favorite non-BB related artist!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 10:43:17 PM »

I can't get this out of my head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhkwcu-k83w

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 11:03:57 PM »

Yes!!! I always thought in this and 'Song for Sleeping' he sounded a bit like young Dennis.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 01:15:11 PM »

SIP did a cover of In my room?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2015, 06:14:24 PM »

Yeah, but it was very skeletal from what I've been told. I've never heard it.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2015, 01:36:36 AM »

I was never big into the early grungy stuff, but I think I'm going to check out some of STP's later stuff now thanks to hearing those tracks.

48 is way too young to go.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2015, 11:42:47 PM »

I was never big into the early grungy stuff, but I think I'm going to check out some of STP's later stuff now thanks to hearing those tracks.

48 is way too young to go.

It's funny...Core had much of STP's best known stuff...and it's probably their weakest album, save their 2010 album. Generally, the radio hits were the weakest material. Sounds like a certain band this board is devoted to, huh? LOL

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2015, 12:28:35 AM »

When I was a teenager, I only listened to classic rock & roll, up until probably 12 years old or so.  I didn't listen to anything modern... then for awhile, I only listened to modern country.  So when I was about 13, I had some friends and was opening up a little bit, they listened of course to all the modern stuff. 

I used to walk to a girl's house and her mother would drive the two of us to school every morning.  So I'd always get there, and sit down, and be there for 10 minutes or so before we left... and casually watch the t.v.

One morning, it was on MTV, and they were playing the video for "Plush".  It , as you can imagine, blew my mind.  It was so out of the way from what I usually enjoyed listening to, but yet I absolutely loved it.  Thought it was the greatest thing I'd ever seen!

So a year or so goes by, and I moved.  That whole summer I was pretty isolated, playing a lot of video games.  When school started, I had a couple nerdy friends that I ate lunch with, but in general we were all loners.

And then it happened.  One of my nerdy friends was telling us about this really beautiful girl he had met in one of his classes... and like magic, there she was across the cafeteria!  Wow, he wasn't kidding, so pretty.  For two or three days we scoped her out.  She ate lunch with a big guy we later discovered wasn't her boyfriend... but her brother!

So after a few days, this pretty young lady came over to say hi to our friend that was in her class... and we discovered that she (and her brother) were also kind of outsiders, they didn't quite fit in either regardless of how pretty she was.  She had a Sony CD walkman that she carried with her everywhere she went, and her favorite music at the time was the Stone Temple Pilots!  She really liked "Wicked Garden" so of course I soon did too.  I wasn't really completely into it, but she made me want to be more into it. 

The story gets much better from there, but I've often marveled at the fact that people like Scott Weiland cannot possibly understand or even comprehend their immense contribution to the world.  His music made me and my friends very happy, it helped me fall in love once.  He didn't know that, he couldn't have known it... but what I know is that i'm not the only one.  That's just my little story, I imagine there are hundreds of thousands of similar ones. 

God bless you Scott. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2015, 09:11:23 PM »

Was watching this earlier, and it made me cry. This was during a period where he had been clean for about a year (drugs AND drinking) and was probably at his vocal peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk6WRG1yQpg

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2015, 09:15:26 PM »

Was watching this earlier, and it made me cry. This was during a period where he had been clean for about a year (drugs AND drinking) and was probably at his vocal peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk6WRG1yQpg
I remember seeing that on tv when it aired. At one point during the show he announced that he'd been sober for a certain amount of time. It looked like he'd finally straightened out.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2015, 09:34:34 PM »

He went through several periods, longest probably from 2004-2007. When his brother Michael died, it triggered a relapse for a bit. He was never quite the same, and although he abstained from illegal drugs for the most part after that until some point before his death (I've heard different things, but the consensus seems to be roughly a week before),  he became a heavy alcoholic and was on so much medication (mostly legit) that he was a shell of his former self.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2015, 10:28:56 PM »

I know that this was taken during a really dark period in Scott's life, but there is something about this video that I find endlessly fascinating.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxB7f58vii4

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2015, 10:39:55 PM »

Fun fact...Sheryl Crow played accordian on that track.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx