gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:40:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Scott Weiland  (Read 8482 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:57:32 PM »

Cry

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:02:53 PM »

Cry
woah. what? googling...

googled.

It seems like a really bad time around now.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:06:40 PM by Emily » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 10:19:01 PM »

Yeah, I found out shortly before it was made public. I'm numb as hell right now. The f***ed up part, I was JUST talking about him with my wife, and I mentioned he wasn't doing too good last I heard. No sooner did I finish my sentence , my phone blew up with texts.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 11:37:04 PM »

Very sad, was a big STP fan back in the day. Unfortunately, this has been a long time coming.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 05:20:19 AM »

I was kinda late getting into STP.  I actually preferred their mid 90s material when I felt that Scott Weiland started used his true singing voice instead of the yarling Eddie Wedder impression he did on songs like Plush. 

I've never been a big fan of 90s music, but STP had songs I really liked - Interstate Love Song, Big Bang Baby, Trippin on a Hole.., Sour Girl, etc.

I was also a big fan of Velvet Revolver.  I got to see them live about ten years ago.  Before I saw him in person, I never realized how good of a frontman Scott Weiland was. 

It's a pity he could never seen to shake his demons. 

RIP. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 05:44:05 AM »

Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 07:32:51 AM »

RIP Scott. I've loved your music since... pretty much since I started listening to music. I was a little kid, 13 years old when "All In The Suit That You Wear" came out and STP was breaking up for the second time. That was my introduction to Scott and his music, and I've been a fan ever since.

"This fight could be the last fight, no giving and no winning"

I had the joy of seeing the then-reunited Stone Temple Pilots play in Canandaigua in 2008. I guess that was the only time I'll ever have gotten to see Scott live... him and that damn megaphone!

Sigh...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 10:49:29 AM »

My all time favorite Weiland vocals...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18g8McJFQbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwS_Eu-HLZo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEkpZnc4dFc

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »

Beautiful choices. He had a really versatile voice.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 11:58:13 AM »

The grunge era seems like such a long time ago now. I loved STP's second album Purple back in the 90s and No. 4, while it didn't have that big of an impact, became another personal favourite at the end of the decade. Only a couple of days ago I happened to wake up with Interstate Love Song playing in my head even though I hadn't heard any of their music in years. I was shocked when Layne Staley died in 2002 and it's truly sad to now hear about Scott Weiland's passing. I think rock history will be very kind to the Stone Temple Pilots. They definitely made their mark.

By the way, past the 90s I think he was sporting one of the coolest rock star looks ever.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »

The bassist in Scott's band, Tommy Black, was arrested when they found his body. Cocaine possession. No idea if Scott was using or not, as I'd heard that he was, but according to those close to him, he was clean apart from being a heavy drinker. The drinking thing, though, was bad in that he was on a litany of medication (including his bipolar meds). He'd had a minor stroke back in 2009 (never made public), and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

I was kinda late getting into STP.  I actually preferred their mid 90s material when I felt that Scott Weiland started used his true singing voice instead of the yarling Eddie Wedder impression he did on songs like Plush. 

Oh most definitely.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 05:49:52 PM »

Can't get Vasoline out of my head.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 07:52:46 PM »

http://observer.com/2015/12/my-friend-scott-weiland-has-died/

Brilliantly written.

Can't get Vasoline out of my head.

Always dug Vasoline.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 08:36:14 PM »

I hate to see him go too.  He was an interesting cat.  He was one of the better Rock singers in the 90's. 

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 10:22:59 PM »

Diehards already know this, but for the casual fans..

For all the grief STP got when Core came out, saying they were rip offs of Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains...

this is the 1990 version of Wicked Garden, a full year before Pearl Jam released their first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=952e35lDpgY

i.e. BEFORE 'grunge' became a thing.

*drops mic*

bluesno1fann
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 06:27:32 AM »

I must admit that while I am aware of him and his work with STP and Velvet Revolver, I'm not familiar with music at all. But this news is indeed tragic in any case. May he rest in peace.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 01:36:48 PM »

I had never even heard that first one, "About A Fool". The other 2 I am quite familiar with, those are beautiful songs. I LOVE "Shangri-La Dee Da". An extremely underrated album.

Very nice selections here.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »

If I were to compile my favorite songs with Scott Weiland (these are all STP and VR) onto one CD, this would be it. They're not in any particular order, just songs I'd personally consider "essential"...

Church On Sunday
Adhesive
Wonderful
Sour Girl
Mary, Mary
Crackerman
Take A Load Off
I Got You
Too Cool Queenie
Seven Caged Tigers
You Got No Right
Unglued
Cinnamon
She Builds Quick Machines
And So I Know
Dumb Love

But there are so many more great songs, too... what a legacy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »

I had never even heard that first one, "About A Fool". The other 2 I am quite familiar with, those are beautiful songs. I LOVE "Shangri-La Dee Da". An extremely underrated album.

About a Fool dated from the SLDD sessions...same time as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4cpDJ3ulMY  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiFzJA0_mD8     and  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgt4q_dg0Ec    .

Why they weren't released is beyond me. Same with the cover of 'In My Room' (recorded during the sessions for Purple).

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 02:11:39 PM »

If I were to compile my favorite songs with Scott Weiland (these are all STP and VR) onto one CD, this would be it. They're not in any particular order, just songs I'd personally consider "essential"...

Church On Sunday
Adhesive
Wonderful
Sour Girl
Mary, Mary
Crackerman
Take A Load Off
I Got You
Too Cool Queenie
Seven Caged Tigers
You Got No Right
Unglued
Cinnamon
And So I Know
Dumb Love

Great list! I LOVED Shangri La Di Da...some days it's my favorite STP album.

ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »

About a Fool dated from the SLDD sessions...same time as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4cpDJ3ulMY  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiFzJA0_mD8     and  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgt4q_dg0Ec    .

Why they weren't released is beyond me. Same with the cover of 'In My Room' (recorded during the sessions for Purple).

Wow, those are some great songs right there... the only one I'd heard before was Samba Nova, as a bonus track from the 2010 self-titled, but I thought it was another new song then.

Once some time has passed, I think a Stone Temple Pilots boxset of some type is very much called for. Gather all those rarities, B-sides, unreleased songs, maybe some live cuts... heck, I'd love a live compilation similar to Nirvana's "From The Muddy Banks..." or Alice In Chains' "Live".

Scott is leaving behind such a legacy, such a great body of work. He will be sorely missed and he certainly went too soon. I shed a few tears yesterday, but I'm going to celebrate his life and his music. He really gave us everything he had.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 04:49:44 PM »

Church On Sunday
Adhesive
Wonderful
Sour Girl
Mary, Mary
Crackerman
Take A Load Off
I Got You
Too Cool Queenie
Seven Caged Tigers
You Got No Right
Unglued
Cinnamon
And So I Know
Dumb Love

"Shangri..." was my favorite for a long time, but lately I dig "Tiny Music..." just slightly more. Ahhh... they're all so good, though...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 05:22:57 PM »

Wow, those are some great songs right there... the only one I'd heard before was Samba Nova, as a bonus track from the 2010 self-titled, but I thought it was another new song then.

Once some time has passed, I think a Stone Temple Pilots boxset of some type is very much called for. Gather all those rarities, B-sides, unreleased songs, maybe some live cuts... heck, I'd love a live compilation similar to Nirvana's "From The Muddy Banks..." or Alice In Chains' "Live".

Scott is leaving behind such a legacy, such a great body of work. He will be sorely missed and he certainly went too soon. I shed a few tears yesterday, but I'm going to celebrate his life and his music. He really gave us everything he had.

Heed the Water Whisperer actually was a No.4 outtake (along with Learning to Drive, which later showed up on Scott's 'Happy in Galoshes' as 'Beautiful Day'), but the rest were originally from SLDD ,which was originally supposed to be a double album.

Sadly, they have *very* few studio outtakes. Generally, if they recorded it, they released it!  One notable exception was a series of Beach Boys covers recorded around the Purple sessions. 'In My Room' was the only one that was finished, but supposedly 'I Just Wasn't Made for these Times' and a few others (no titles known) were recorded at that time. None have surfaced (nor been booted).

Also, 'Hello it's Late' was originally recorded during Purple, but re-recorded during the SLDD sessions (and with new lyrics).

Very surprised they never released a live album during their heyday. I have a feeling if a box ever came out, it would be mainly live tracks.

Not going to lie...I shed more than my fair share of tears the past couple of days. Weiland was my favorite artist save Brian Wilson, and one of my dreams was to produce him.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »

Church On Sunday
Adhesive
Wonderful
Sour Girl
Mary, Mary
Crackerman
Take A Load Off
I Got You
Too Cool Queenie
Seven Caged Tigers
You Got No Right
Unglued
Cinnamon
And So I Know
Dumb Love

"Shangri..." was my favorite for a long time, but lately I dig "Tiny Music..." just slightly more. Ahhh... they're all so good, though...

I'd go...

Tiny Music
Purple
Shangri La Di Da
No. 4
Core
Self-Titled

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »

Wonderful write-up (and surprised it mentioned him being raped at 12, in that despite it being in his book, many people still aren't aware)

http://buffalo.com/2015/12/04/featured/an-open-letter-to-scott-weiland-so-this-is-where-it-ends/

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx