gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:38:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opinions on LGBT rights  (Read 20757 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:05:15 AM »

I know this is extremely random but-
Have any of the beach boys ever shared their opinions on gay marriage and overall LGBT rights?
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »

uhhh according to the gaines book, dennis, mike and brian were not into the gays back in the day. hopefully the mike and brian have evolved since then.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »

If it affects one's enjoyment of the music either way, there's a problem.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 10:45:38 AM »

Eh. Yes and no. I can respect Orson Scott Card's writing even tho he's a total bigot. I still have an unabashed celebrity crush on young Grace Slick even tho her autobiography made her seem really airheaded and some anecdotes from other 60s musician bios made her out to be kind of a Bitch. But as someone pretty heavily in the B and T parts of the spectrum...it'd really upset me to think Brian would look down on me for that. Obviously I'd still love the music, but part of the appeal of Brian as a personal idol/inspiration to me is how sweet and genuine he is, and how much sh*t he's been thru which I assume would make him more empathetic and open-minded to the suffering of others. I don't care if he was against it in the 60s and 70s; it was a different time, when such things were unheard of and scandalous. But if it came out he still felt that way today, it would definitely take something away from my admiration for him.

I distinctly remember his Facebook page shared a rainbow flag when gay marriage was legalized tho. Maybe just jumping on the bandwagon, maybe just good PR, but I like to believe it was a sincere gesture of support.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »

At the very least they did work with both Curt Boettcher and Jack Rieley.

Personally I'd expect someone like Brian to be very non-judgmental when it comes to anyone's sexual orientation but then I don't know any of these guys in person of course.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »

Winner.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 11:33:30 AM »

There has been a major shift in opinion over the past 10, even 5 years involving these issues. I come from a fairly conservative and religious background and my views have changed immensely during that time.

It always bothers me when people point to stage banter and interviews from 40-50 years ago. While it certainly makes me cringe now, I think it is unfair to judge people by 2015 standards.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 11:37:23 AM »

There has been a major shift in opinion over the past 10, even 5 years involving these issues. I come from a fairly conservative and religious background and my views have changed immensely during that time.

It always bothers me when people point to stage banter and interviews from 40-50 years ago. While it certainly makes me cringe now, I think it is unfair to judge people by 2015 standards.
Exactly.  Unfair to judge 1960 by 2015.  Ridiculous.

Everyone evolves, and with information comes enlightenment.
brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 12:03:26 PM »

uhhh according to the gaines book, dennis, mike and brian were not into the gays back in the day. hopefully the mike and brian have evolved since then.

I've read Gaines book about a two years ago, from what I remember all of the guys (except for Brian, I believe) especially Carl had a problem with Jack Rieley being gay.

It's been a while though, so I don't exactly remember what it said. If anyone has read the book recently I'd like someone to clear this up! 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »

I've read Gaines book about a two years ago, from what I remember all of the guys (except for Brian, I believe) especially Carl had a problem with Jack Rieley being gay.

It's been a while though, so I don't exactly remember what it said. If anyone has read the book recently I'd like someone to clear this up! 

Given that all of Carl's major compositions 1971-1973 - "Long Promised Road", "Feel Flows", "The Trader" - have lyrics by Jack... I find that hard to credit. But I'll check.

BTW, Jack was bisexual, not gay.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 12:43:37 PM »

Given that all of Carl's major compositions 1971-1973 - "Long Promised Road", "Feel Flows", "The Trader" - have lyrics by Jack... I find that hard to credit. But I'll check.

BTW, Jack was bisexual, not gay.

But wasn't Jack's sexual preference a secret up until a certain point in the timeline? I thought I recall hearing that the band found out at a certain point, but had been in the dark beforehand.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 12:52:03 PM »

I think it had been noted quite early on that he seemed to have far more male friends than female.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »

Brian's Facebook had a gay pride thing the day the Supreme Court ruled gay marriage constitutional. Take that how you will.

By the way, I think this isn't a topic that should be on this part of the board.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »

I agree. I don't see this ending well.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

kirt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 01:07:29 PM »

Brian's Facebook had a gay pride thing the day the Supreme Court ruled gay marriage constitutional. Take that how you will.

By the way, I think this isn't a topic that should be on this part of the board.

I agree, this is a powder keg question to which we have no way of knowing an answer.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 01:12:03 PM »

That and more vocal elements on both sides of said debate could turn this thread nasty in a heartbeat.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 01:14:45 PM »

The real realist. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 01:33:37 PM »

That and more vocal elements on both sides of said debate could turn this thread nasty in a heartbeat.

Yes, because rights for people are totally something that's debatable.

Let's debate your rights and see how you feel.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 01:35:58 PM »

That's not what he was talking about.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »

Right now, I'm brewing up a hot mug of Who Gives a F**k? 

Anyone care to join me?
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 01:45:51 PM »

I'm reading the book now (am very close to the end) and while it does indicate that members of the band were uncomfortable about Rieley's sexual orientation, I don't think it mentioned anything about Carl in particular having a bigger problem with it than other members of the band. 

Also, given Carl's reputation as the nicest guy in the world, I really don't want to believe this of him. 

Actually, one of my main complaints about the Gaines book is that there are far too many instances where he states "the Beach Boys" liked this or "the Beach Boys" didn't like that.  As we all know, the Beach Boys are made up of individuals that all likely had their own views and thoughts on everything.  Gaines tends to present things as though the members of the band were all of the same mind about some things, which I find very hard to believe.  But I digress.   
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »

I agree, this is a powder keg question to which we have no way of knowing an answer.

I agree as well....I'm going to leave it open for now, but that likely will change.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »

Not a good idea.

chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 02:19:48 PM »

there is no reason why this shouldnt be discussed, and there is actual info out there about how the band members felt about gay people according to bios. jeeze.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »

The mere fact that legal rights evolve over time underlines their debatable nature. I don't see why such rights (including mine) shouldn't be debatable.

But the "general discussion" section is no place for such a debate, so I'll stop there.

===

Wasn't Dennis rumored to have gay sex fantasies? If I remember correctly, the Gaines book talks about the subject (even going as far as to say that it was a rape fantasy). Not really an opinion on LGBT rights from Dennis, but it's somewhat related.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx