-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:53:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Ignore Function, v0.1
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ignore Function, v0.1  (Read 6313 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2015, 08:24:38 AM »

I've put together an ignore function, of sorts, for the board. http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
It *will* be improved, but using it even as is might lower a few people's blood pressure a notch or two.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 08:54:46 AM »

I've put together an ignore function, of sorts, for the board. http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
It *will* be improved, but using it even as is might lower a few people's blood pressure a notch or two.
Awesome. Thank you.
Now when people are annoyed by a poster instead of personal insults they can use this, count to ten, and proceed calmly.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 08:56:16 AM »

I'm just getting 'runtime error' come up when I try to open it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 08:57:44 AM »

Awesome. Thank you.
Now when people are annoyed by a poster instead of personal insults they can use this, count to ten, and proceed calmly.

Exactly my thought. This is very user-unfriendly at the moment, but nowhere near *as* unfriendly as seeing the annoying posts. At the moment it's hardcoded to ignore two particular users, but I've put instructions in the post on how technical types can change that, and I hope to make it a fully-functional user-friendly thing, one step at a time.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 08:59:26 AM »

I'm just getting 'runtime error' come up when I try to open it.

My instructions may not be clear. I just talked someone else through in IMs, and this worked for them (remembering you need to be in Firefox or Chrome and using Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey)

right-click on the link to the zip file, "save as", save it to your desktop.
Then extract the file, also to your desktop, using WinZip or whatever, then file->open from Firefox.
When you file->open from Firefox, you should get popup saying something about Greasemonkey. Follow the instructions, and then it should Just Work.

Hope that helps...

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 09:12:25 AM »

There is one slight bug at the moment, which is that if a post by an ignored poster happens to be the first post on a page in a Sandbox thread, it still seems to sometimes show up. I think I know why that is, but frankly I've spent enough time on this today, and the fix will be hellish. I'll try and update this in the next week or two.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 09:12:49 AM »

Don't want to make the code to complex, but you must have a handle on the target's name or user ID or something. Could code be added to disable people from ignoring the moderators, cause that wouldn't be cool?
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 09:15:39 AM »

=== Ignore Function, v0.2 ===

What's new: no installation required anymore!

Compatibility: all operating systems and browsers. Fully tested, 100% functional, no bugs*.

Instructions: when reading a post, if said post somehow annoys you, just stop reading it and go directly to the next post.

*Some bugs may be experienced due to a weak chair-to-keyboard interface.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 09:16:18 AM »

Don't want to make the code to complex, but you must have a handle on the target's name or user ID or something. Could code be added to disable people from ignoring the moderators, cause that wouldn't be cool?

I'm afraid not. The code could certainly be added, but anyone who wanted to ignore them could just edit the text file to take that code out again. I'm also not keen on restricting what people can do with their own computers.
If people want to ignore the moderators, let them -- but they'll be doing so at their own risk

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »

=== Ignore Function, v0.2 ===

What's new: no installation required anymore!

Compatibility: all operating systems and browsers. Fully tested, 100% functional, no bugs*.

Instructions: when reading a post, if said post somehow annoys you, just stop reading it and go directly to the next post.

*Some bugs may be experienced due to a weak chair-to-keyboard interface.

Indeed. This version is intended only for those who don't have the "ignore" function built into the chair-to-keyboard interface. Those are notoriously hard to upgrade.

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 09:20:38 AM »

True. I had mine replaced with a high-end model when I started browsing the internet. I strongly recommend it!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 09:20:49 AM »

I'm afraid not. The code could certainly be added, but anyone who wanted to ignore them could just edit the text file to take that code out again. I'm also not keen on restricting what people can do with their own computers.
If people want to ignore the moderators, let them -- but they'll be doing so at their own risk
Ok. That makes sense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 09:40:48 AM »

Will it only ignore that user for that thread? Or that individual post? Or that user in perpetuity?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »

Will it only ignore that user for that thread? Or that individual post? Or that user in perpetuity?

The current script is very much a blunt instrument, so it just replaces every post by the users in question with "this user is ignored". Anyone using the script can turn it off at any time and see what's been posted, by disabling it in Greasemonkey, but if they don't do that, they will see (almost -- see the bug note above) nothing by those users.
This version just ignores the two worst offenders, but in my blog post I explain how to add extra users (using myself as an example), and obviously people can delete those two user IDs from the code.
I hope to make it a LOT more usable and flexible at some point, but right now it's just a very blunt tool for dealing with what seems to be an urgent problem.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 02:34:57 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:27:12 PM by zatch » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 05:51:30 AM »

Just build one in. 

Although I do like the Andrew (G.) graphic.  It cracked me up!  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 06:03:09 AM »

I see the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize heading Mr. Hickey's way...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 06:06:29 AM »

Just build one in.  

Although I do like the Andrew (G.) graphic.  It cracked me up!  LOL

Huh

Confused, Farnham...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 06:15:03 AM »

Just build one in.  

Although I do like the Andrew (G.) graphic.  It cracked me up!  LOL

Huh

Confused, Farnham...

The "easy" (Staples) red with "ignore" as a substitute.   

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 06:58:59 AM »

Just build one in. 

Although I do like the Andrew (G.) graphic.  It cracked me up!  LOL

The problem is that I don't know if the mods have access to the back-end of the site, and that would be required to include an ignore button. If they do, they haven't shown any particular interest in doing it (although there's certainly demand for a function -- this has been downloaded a dozen or so times so far), or in upgrading the board software, which is now very out of date.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:27:08 PM by zatch » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:27:04 PM by zatch » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: