-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Goodbye, SmileySmile
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Goodbye, SmileySmile  (Read 40631 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »

After this post I am signing out of Smiley Smile and I’m never logging back in again. Nor will I read the responses to this post (if any responses are made). This is a long winded soapbox piece, so the TL;DR: I thank those of you who have tried hard to make this forum a great place for fans, and shame on you to those who make this place the pile of garbage that it became - and you know exactly who you are.

Firstly, I want to say that this board was a haven for me. I know countless other posters who felt the same way. A lot of us came here as new fans, wide eyed, mesmerized at the information, at the upbeat (sometimes chaotic) atmosphere. So many knowledgable people, so many insiders. So many good people.

Most of us share a common love for this music. We feel a spiritual connection when we listen to songs like ‘Don’t Worry Baby’ or ‘I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times’. Each of us has that eureka moment when Pet Sounds clicked for us. We all became obsessed with certain facets of the Beach Boys output (whether Pet Sounds, Smile, Friends, Pacific Ocean Blue, etc) and we share something that few people tap into: A random person will hear a song like 'In My Room' and they’ll walk away saying “cool song”. Most of us on Smileysmile hear that song and get lost in the harmonies, we follow the melodies through the chords, and listen to the lyrics as they tug at our emotions. THAT is what we all have in common. And we all gravitated towards smileysmile.net because it was not only a great place for information but camaraderie.

The spats on this board, in the scheme of things, mean nothing? We all have real lives, with real problems. But ya know what? This place was a haven for many of us. Some of us come home from work and want to share this ONE beautiful, spiritual thing in our lives with other people who GET IT. Some of us have been shacked up in hospital rooms, and we not only have the music to distract us, but we have great friends here that we share this one great thing in common with. These spats, all this negativity, mean everything to my fandom….because they are breaking apart a place that helped make my fandom.

A few things I want to mention before I leave:

Andrew G Doe. Not long ago I received information from you that was factually incorrect. Next time you try to pawn something off as fact, make sure that information is correct prior to disclosing it with others (as any, even amateur, historian would do)…especially when that information has the potential to discredit something and perhaps subsequently someone. I wonder how many board members have been contacted with similar “information”? By the way, I recommend you listen to the Love and Mercy commentary sometime when the blu-ray hits the shelves over there. When I first arrived here, I really looked up to you. As time went on it became quite obvious what exactly you do on this board (and I’m not speaking of a “conspiracy” so you don’t have to stoop to wasting board bandwidth making another mock thread). If there is one reason I’m ecstatic about leaving this place it’s so I don’t have to watch you flaunt your charade every time I log in.

Micha. It is indeed a shame that you felt you needed to extricate yourself from this board during the NPP release time. On the flip side of that: My intelligence was questioned because I liked the album, many “new” posters did leave one sentence “reviews” about how lousy the album was. A while ago, the album was called a “steaming pile of dogshit" by Mike’s Beard. One person subtly recommended that Joe Thomas should throw himself from a high-rise building. Recently, a music reviewer came on this board and when his review was questioned he refused to even acknowledge the falsehoods in his article regarding the making of NPP and instead berated people’s taste for liking the album. So a lot of us were and still are on edge about an album that is (and shouldn’t be) very polarizing. A lot of love and care went into NPP (according to people who actually know), and when it is childishly mocked, or the people who like it are mocked, it can bring out some knee-jerk reactions. It is a shame that a lot of us felt hurt on both sides of the spectrum.

To those who continually berate Brian and his music. You are the reason this place is falling apart. When fans have to log on and read that Brian has no chance of making a hit record again, that he doesn’t have much control over the music he makes, that it’s “sad” that he strives to make a hit record these days, that he’s controlled by “handlers”, that having young top-40 talent on his new record was him selling out. All of those examples and more can be found in threads on this board. No wonder people are so defensive about Brian! They’ve had to trawl through your inane garbage every time a new album is released. Posts like that are breeding grounds for the arguments that consume this place. You can’t just be happy for Brian and his fans: you have to pick apart the management, or pick apart the production, or pick apart the songwriting, or pick apart someone’s taste in music…and you do it in the most unscrupulous ways possible. Sheriff John Stone recently insinuated that Brian is coached and told what to say in interviews, basically called Brian Wilson a puppet. The Popmatters “reviewer” Casey Hardmeyer compared Brian Wilson making an album to a wheelchair bound grandfather who is wheeled out at Thanksgiving dinner and forced to make a speech. Then he had the gall to come on this board and question why Brian Wilson fans would like a Brian Wilson album. Gee I wonder. Some of you never hesitate to mention that Brian is controlled by “handlers”, yet when pointedly asked (on MANY occasions) who these handlers are and what they do you scurry away and never respond…Matt Etherton

Brian releases a seven second song clip recorded from a cell phone and you nitwits jump on it to hell about autotune….threads are made, pages upon pages of speculation go on. Hell, even Mike Love himself jumped on the auto-tune bandwagon against Brian (which is hilariously ironic considering the seemingly colossal amount of pitch correction used in Mike’s latest Christmas single). Posters, who I respected at one point, bullied and harassed an enthusiastic member…Constantly calling her a “cheerleader” and berating her positive Brian Wilson posts. For a cadre that is constantly whining about maturity you guys sure do lack a lot of it.

As a whole you guys stop at nothing to tear Brian and his fans down.

David Beard. Where do I even begin? It’s sad as hell when members of this forum are called “assholes” by you because they pointed out that calling Brian Wilson “brain-damaged” in a published article is a tactless thing to do. But of course the movie Love and Mercy showed us that Brian is brain-damaged, right? Jeesh. You claim that it’s unfortunate that Brian isn’t the same person today as he was in the 60s. You’ve had to take-down/edit several of your pieces. You deemed it necessary to stoop to name-calling because a few people were offended by your statement regarding Brian Wilson’s current mental health state. The backlash of that statement compelled you to apologize to both Brian and Melinda Wilson. Your description of his concerts is completely baffling (“He sits behind the piano, and on occasion, when he’s finds the inspiration, he will join in and sing along with his band”). You claim it’s “the truth” that we anticipate new music from Brian only because of the music he made in the 60s. It’s sad to think that some new fan probably read those articles and trusted that information. Yet another reason I look forward to leaving this place is not having to feel my blood pressure rise to astronomical levels when I see a link posted to one of your “articles”.

Brian’s music, even what he has just recorded and released, is supposed to put smiles on faces. If it doesn’t, fine. But that “steaming pile of dogshit" was made by a man who GENUINELY wanted to make people happy. That guy who “occasionally” sings when he finds the “inspiration” actually sings on nearly every song his band performs in concert. That supposedly “brain-damaged” man strives to make a perfect hit record when he’s in the studio. If you can’t hear that, fine. But f*** off with your petulant direct and/or passive aggressive negativity. And I'm not saying we can't be critical of the art (there are things I wasn’t happy about with NPP and said so), but don't be an asshole doing it...especially when the person writing and recording the music is a man who (according to those who actually know) has an absolute heart of gold and merely wants to share some joy with the world. But of course being civil about his solo career would negate the possibility of perpetuating the Brian-Wilson-centric negativity that some of you want permeating this board.

That’s about 15 percent of what I want to address in regards to the negativity around here. For the sake of many reasons I’m keeping my mouth shut about the other 85 percent. And that 85 percent is what transformed this forum into a place whereupon visiting I feel the need to wash my hands Howard Hughes style.

With that behind me, there are many people here I want to thank before I log off:

Wirestone. Your knowledge and truthful posts have helped many, many fans understand the actual workings of Brian's solo career. I remember reading a post of yours that completely changed my perception of Brian's solo output. When I first arrived here, the general consensus was that Brian didn’t make his own music, that he was more of a vegetable when it came to the studio (the term “paint-by-Brian” was used very frequently)…and I know for a fact that many other posters were swayed by this talk. It was around the time of BWRG that you described the recording process and Brian's involvement on the record - from then on I realized (quite happily) that much of the negative sh*t that is said here about Brian is false. You truly made me a much happier fan that day, and I owe you so much for your insightful posts….I hope you never lose that drive for the truth.

Ray Lawlor. For the many months leading up to NPP, I looked forward to your posts on the album. You kept us informed, and put a lot of the bullshit to rest. There was A LOT of disinformation, a lot of ridiculous speculation regarding NPP, and it was like a breath of fresh air to have an insider talk about the making of this record. I know this board will benefit from your insightful and informative posts for years to come.

Luther. You have always been a real fair guy, and you’ve never hesitated to tell it how it is, and you’re most always correct. I know I’ve probably gotten on your nerves numerous times (or at least added to the chaos that consumes this board), but I never meant any ill will. I hope you keep on bringing informative posts and opinions to this board. I know your posts will help this place immensely in the following months and years.

Billy C. Through the thick and thin of whatever life throws at you, you’ve always been here to help keep the peace. Your light-hearted nature has always made this board a jovial place to visit, and when dirty work needs to be done you don’t mind doing it. This board is privileged to have you as a moderator. I know we all owe you a huge debt of gratitude for all the years you’ve been with us.

Guitarfool2002. When I first came here I was perplexed and awed by your knowledge of the workings of the studios where Brian recorded some of his best music. I, to this day, brag to people about those threads and what a revelation they are. Throughout the years you’ve continued to write descriptive posts that shed light on the facts. This board is blessed to have you as a member and as a moderator…and any level-headed poster here would agree.

Stephen Desper. You have no idea what a gift your presence on this board is. The videos you put together, the remastered tracks you upload, your willingness to elaborate on a topic. We have learned so much from you and I know ALL of us here are extremely grateful for your contributions. You are a big part of what makes this place worth going to. No words of mine can express my deep appreciation for all that you’ve done here, and we all owe you a huge thanks.

Bgas. I am going to miss your posts so very much man. You don’t suffer fools and your posts back that up…I think I’ve even been in your crosshairs a couple times and deserved every bit of it haha. I’ll always be envious of your Beach Boys collection. No matter what happens on this board I know it’ll stay mostly on an even keel because of your presence. I really hope to see you on other boards in the future.

Debbie KL. You bring so much joy to the board, so much passion for the music. Your insights and stories about Brian have helped bring a ray of light to this place in the recent year. I look forward to seeing you around on other boards. Thank you so much for everything!

FatherOfTheMan, Zach Wolfe, Kayla Williams, Swedish Frog, Empire of Love, Woodstock, Seltaeb1012002, Egohanger, Billy, Hypnotic Eye (Freddie), etc etc, all you Smileysmiler’s who make music, keep on sharing the joy. I’m subscribed to some of you on Youtube/Soundcloud, I’ll try and keep up with you guys elsewhere. You all have so much talent and I’m envious of so many of you. I’ve collaborated with some of you and it was an absolute joy and honor to do so. I’ll keep in touch with you guys and am more than happy to keep collaborating. I hope all of you stay positive about recording/performing.

Mujan, JMZ, Pancake Records, Soniclovenoize, I know I’m leaving many people out, apologies! Keep up the great Smile mixes. You guys have given us countless hours of enjoyment with your ideas and interpretations of the Smile tracks. I hope you guys keep up the great work. Mujan, I know we never totally got along 100 percent of the time, but if I ever have any questions about Smile, you’ll be the first person I talk to. I hope to see you around elsewhere.

And finally a HUGE thank you to most all of you for helping make this place a nice place to visit most of the time. We’ve had a lot of good laughs and a lot of great times. I’ll never forget Ghost/Nobody/SoColdIGoBurr, my sides ached from laughing at some of his posts. I’ve seen many of you rally around and help people who weren’t having the best of times in real life. This place has the potential to bring out the best and worst in people, and fortunately most of you brought your best to this place.

In closing:

I’m sure this forum will evolve, hopefully for the better. But thanks to the toxic atmosphere that wafts from certain posters, I think there will always be a shadow that looms over this place. It’s for that very reason I’ve decided to leave this place for good.

I’m by no means innocent in how I’ve behaved/posted on this board. I’m not proud of a few posts, and I want to apologize to Rockno1fan and Retrokid for not welcoming your enthusiasm to the board a couple years ago…it’s something I’m not proud of and something I’m very sorry for. I hope you guys never lost your passion for this band, and I hope to see you around on other boards.

I’ll probably see many of you on other forums. And I hope to converse with many of you again. I appreciate all the kind words many of you said about my fanmix ‘Love’ album. It truly means a lot to me. I hope so much that this place can evolve into a welcome haven again for newcomers and older members alike. I hope that some wide-eyed fan, just like me years ago, will come to a place void of bullshit, void of deeply rooted negativity that emanates directly and indirectly from certain people.

Sadly, at some point in the future, Brian Wilson will depart from this earth. But his music will remain. Memories we have of him will stay with us. Videos of him directing sessions, lively interviews where he opens up about his life…that is what people will remember and smile about. All the negativity, all the petulant comments, though solidified on the web, will be forgotten. And many of you will regret that you were so nefariously pessimistic about Brian and his music while he was still with us. Deep down, no matter what side you’re on (and you’re not kidding anyone, you’re on a side), remember what it was that drew you into this music. Remember that moment that captured you and made you fall in love with harmony. For the sake of the board, remember that feeling every time you log in and post.

Goodbye, Smiley Smile.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 06:39:58 PM »

Hey, hold up, I'll go with you.
I'm a longtime devotee of this site, although I don't post very often. But there has definitely been a shift in tone over the past year or so, and the negativity, nitpicking and nay-saying have reached epidemic proportions. Congrats to the trolls, the haters and the haphazard moderators...you can have the sandbox all to yourselves.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 07:05:35 PM »

Hey, hold up, I'll go with you.
I'm a longtime devotee of this site, although I don't post very often. But there has definitely been a shift in tone over the past year or so, and the negativity, nitpicking and nay-saying have reached epidemic proportions. Congrats to the trolls, the haters and the haphazard moderators...you can have the sandbox all to yourselves.

+1

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 07:53:45 PM »

This is very sad.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »

I'll be the first dissenting voice.

Don't leave, guys. At least not for good. Seriously.

We've had more than our fair share of ups and downs and flame wars on here but this is also a place where we have all managed to coexist (not without bumps, of course) for nearly a decade (December 24 is the ten year anniversary). We have a fine community on here. True, sometimes people need breaks for extended periods of time and that's cool. Life happens. Sometimes we all need to count to ten and walk away for a bit. People are gonna say stupid things and disrupt sh*t. I do agree that the board can and should be better and evolve into a more nurturing environment for both the new fans and the old farts. It's not going to happen overnight but it CAN happen.

I just figured I'd throw that out there. Take a break for a while if you feel like you have to, but don't leave for good. We're better than this and we should strive to be better.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 08:05:48 PM »

This makes me sad as well... definitely sorry to see you leave. The board will be notably worse off.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:44:31 PM »

To quote Dylan after THAT speech....

"At least he didn't mention me."

LOL
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 08:57:27 PM »

Bad form to flounce off with a melodramatic announcement and a settling of scores. Have a little dignity.

If one no longer wishes to read or post on a particular board for whatever reason, that's fine. Just cease posting, without making a big deal out of it. Maybe someone will notice your absence, maybe not.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:04:08 PM by clack » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 09:28:11 PM »

Bad form to flounce off with a melodramatic announcement and a settling of scores. Have a little dignity.

If one no longer wishes to read or post on a particular board for whatever reason, that's fine. Just cease posting, without making a big deal out of it. Maybe someone will notice your absence, maybe not.
Wise words. I'll only add if smb. made up their mind completely to leave the board, PM your friends on  the board (rab2591 has quite a few), that's it. Why tell it the whole world (figure of speech)?

And why here? It's got nothing to do with the BBs. I hope Billy & other mods - if you read this - will kindly move this "topic" to the Sandbox.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:29:11 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 09:43:28 PM »

I was in fact shocked when I read my name after the rant against Andrew, but it seems rab respects that I don't like NPP just as I respect him loving it. This was a very interesting post for me to read, because my perception is the opposite: You can't criticize Brian here about anything without getting shouted at and being accused of being pro-Mike. I do remember Debbie being insulted with a cheerleader photo for being enthusiastic about NPP, and I was happy to find the poster being banned for that. I don't see ANY reason to make fun of somebody who just has a different taste. Especially when it's insulting.

I find this post offensive. I understand how rab feels and find rab's post quite dignified. It is insulting posts like this one that made him leave. Actually, I feel similar as rab does, even though for reasons from a different perspective.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 09:50:51 PM »

Gosh, it's very easy to get you insulted, Micha. There was nothing offensive in what clack said. You must just chill out a little, take a break or 2 from time to time as RBB suggested, if it's too intense here. Come on, let's not overreact.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 10:12:14 PM »

Why tell it the whole world (figure of speech)?

Because there is something very wrong with this place now and it needs to be said.

Come on, let's not overreact.

It would be overreacting to counter-insult or ban clack for his post. Even if YOU don't think clack's post was offensive, I still think so.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 10:20:14 PM »

I rmbr. some time back people were whining about this place keeping quiet: no news, nothing. Now, people whine that it's noisy. Bottom line: nothing is wrong with the board. If you think that way - think that way, it needn't to be said; those who know what rab meant & agree with him - they know it already. It's like he tried to convince others of his opinion. very unsuccessfully. So everyone now must announce loudly that they're going to leave the board? Is it what you're saying?

It would be overreacting to counter-insult or ban clack for his post. Even if YOU don't think clack's post was offensive, I still think so.
You really like to stir up things, don't you? Same old same old. Same "ban" implications when nobody EVER said ANYthing about bans.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:25:05 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 10:27:43 PM »

While I agree with the original poster's basic issue (this board being an unpleasant place these days), I find this thread ironic because the post illustrates the basic problems of this forum not in the details expressed, but because the poster himself is doing all of the things that make it so dismal ... the board has become very personal/political.

There are no specific posters that are to blame, it's the environment itself. If you removed all of the posters that were criticized above, we most certainly would still have the same problems we do now.

To play into that angle for a minute ... I try not to post unless I feel I have something of value to add. And lately I really haven't bothered even when I do (still have a couple photos of Glen Campbell playing drums with the group in '65 I haven't found a spot to bring up yet! ... and some other things I've already forgotten) ...

Basically, the "signal-to-noise ratio" is crummy in most threads, and in the board overall. The real solution to the problem is getting back to talking about The Beach Boys, instead of about ourselves, each other, and our imaginary affiliations with either the "Mike" or "Brian" party.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:38:15 PM by DonnyL » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 10:39:14 PM »

Great post, DonnyL. I esp. agree with the last bit. In a different way, I said sth. similar about not talking about ourselves in a recent locked thread. We should keep focus on the BBs & anything germaine to them. The only "personal" that should count is various "meeting the BBs" stories/meet & greets/show attendance.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 11:05:24 PM »

You really like to stir up things, don't you? Same old same old. Same "ban" implications when nobody EVER said ANYthing about bans.

I just wanted to say what I would regard as overreacting. Rab's post was to me a very insightful read and necessary thing to say.

The real solution to the problem is getting back to talking about The Beach Boys, instead of about ourselves, each other, and our imaginary affiliations with either the "Mike" or "Brian" party.

Tell the board trolls that.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 11:17:46 PM »

I just wanted to say what I would regard as overreacting. Rab's post was to me a very insightful read and necessary thing to say.

The real solution to the problem is getting back to talking about The Beach Boys, instead of about ourselves, each other, and our imaginary affiliations with either the "Mike" or "Brian" party.

Tell the board trolls that.

Not really about trolls man ... It's all the folks knee-jerking to the personal and political instead of having respectful interactions. Including some of the posters praised above. Trolls are easily identified and ignored.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 11:21:07 PM »

LOL

Evil
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 11:28:33 PM »

Trolls are easily identified and ignored.
Agree. It isn't only about SB & OSD.  It goes both ways. People's reaction to their posts is just as annoying if not more. They keep going on & on, some even try to be nice to them & even change their minds when it's obvious they won't change it. If 2 sides would just stop conversing with one another, it would at least eradicate some of the stuff they complained about the board suffering from.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 11:49:22 PM »

Better call the wahhhambulance, someone is in need of urgent attention.

If you want to leave, leave. If you want to stay, stay. Either way, nobody needed the whopping post where you settle old grudges.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:15:07 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 11:53:13 PM »

Trolls are easily identified and ignored.
Agree. It isn't only about SB & OSD.  It goes both ways. People's reaction to their posts is just as annoying if not more. They keep going on & on, some even try to be nice to them & even change their minds when it's obvious they won't change it. If 2 sides would just stop conversing with one another, it would at least eradicate some of the stuff they complained about the board suffering from.

Agree. I'm probably as guilty as any of allowing myself to feel goaded into responding. I find it hard to turn a blind eye and that, along with reactions of others of a similar disposition, doesn't help the mood here. I apologise to those who're tired of it and will try to let it pass from here on.

“We live in divisive times.”
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 12:02:34 AM »

It's totally political. This is the problem. This why a simple discussion of NPP devolves into us vs. them. This is why a (in my opinion) ceremonial award such as the Ella turns into us vs. them. This is why some (delightfully unexpected) set lists for Mike and Bruce in London devolve into us vs. them. Pointing out the merda-stirers is not a hero vs. villain proposition. It's us vs. them. And that's a damn shame. And don't confuse that with having a personal bias. That's to be expected (and it's been in the DNA of the Beach Boys fan for many, many years). I'm talking about arrogance. From newbies all the way to the published author. There's a difference.

Again, calling out 2, 3, or a half dozen objectionable posters is merely window dressing. The problem is when one reacts, the other will respond. Sounds a lot like a political discussion doesn't it? Feels good to vent - sure, but unless your skin is thick, feelings get hurt.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 03:51:15 AM »

LOL

+1
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 03:55:19 AM »

It's totally political. This is the problem. This why a simple discussion of NPP devolves into us vs. them. This is why a (in my opinion) ceremonial award such as the Ella turns into us vs. them. This is why some (delightfully unexpected) set lists for Mike and Bruce in London devolve into us vs. them. Pointing out the merda-stirers is not a hero vs. villain proposition. It's us vs. them. And that's a damn shame. And don't confuse that with having a personal bias. That's to be expected (and it's been in the DNA of the Beach Boys fan for many, many years). I'm talking about arrogance. From newbies all the way to the published author. There's a difference.

Again, calling out 2, 3, or a half dozen objectionable posters is merely window dressing. The problem is when one reacts, the other will respond. Sounds a lot like a political discussion doesn't it? Feels good to vent - sure, but unless your skin is thick, feelings get hurt.

Yeah. I think the only threads Ive participated in that havent devolved into Mike v Brian are album/book reviews, the SMiLE Sessions board and the latest SMiLE Mix thread here. Most SMiLE threads inevitably get derailed with the whole "Mike killed it!" "Mikes totally blameless" debate tho. And even that SMiLE Mix thread had some drama, with people mistaking passionate debate for "bullying" and getting in a funk over it. Im not trying to act like Im above the whole thing, because Im not. I tried staying out of it when I first came here, but sometimes what "the other side" says is so outrageously untrue you cant help but feel the need to respond. Its exhausting tho, and my response has been to not post as much. If I do, its just on posts Im really, REALLY interested in (mostly SMiLE) and thats it.

Im actually really flattered for the name-drop, rab. Didnt expect that, and it means a lot to me. For what its worth, if you read this, I dont think less of you for doing a "farewell" post. I did the same when I felt backed into a corner and wanted to call attention to what I felt was (actual) bullying that had been going on and hampered my experience. Its fair to want to do the same. I hope you come back, and sorry you felt the need to leave at all

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 05:00:18 AM »

It's all Mike Love's fault
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: