-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:50:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Woody Allen
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Woody Allen  (Read 4461 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »

Yeaterday Woody Allen turned 80, TV aired a documentary on him. I had forgotten how funny he is! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 10:06:16 AM »

Ugh.
But yes, he was very funny; and a great director and writer.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »

Love Woody. I could watch him all day. And a brilliant documentary, assuming we saw the same one.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 02:57:15 PM »

Loved Take the Money and Run, Sleeper, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Stardust Memories, Zelig, Broadway Danny Rose, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Crimes and Misdemeanors and Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

Liked Bananas, Interiors, A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, Hannah and Her Sisters, Radio Days, Husbands and Wives, Match Point, Midnight in Paris.

Magic in the Moonlight, Irrational Man and To Rome with Love were so-so.

Have yet to see the rest.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 05:09:21 PM »

Just don't care for him anymore.
However, that said, thought that Love and Death was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 08:59:33 PM »

Ugh.

The one word that I can't quite figure out the meaning of is "Ugh" - Huh

I didn't see most of the movies he made after the early 1990s, I admit that I especially enjoy those with more of his witty gags in it. The documentary had a few samples of his early days as a stand up comedian, I had never seen those before, but they really reminded me of what I loved about his pictures.

Love Woody. I could watch him all day. And a brilliant documentary, assuming we saw the same one.

It was a very long one, nearly two hours.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 09:20:47 PM »

Ugh.

The one word that I can't quite figure out the meaning of is "Ugh" - Huh

Sorry for my use of the vernacular. It's kind of an exhausted 'ick'. Does that help? Or is ick perhaps too vernacular as well? Hmm.
-An expression of tired distaste.- Woody Allen has managed to creep me out with his personal life. And unfortunately, the character he most often plays on film has some of the same creepy qualities.
My favorite period of his work is probably mid-late 80s.
I've seen almost all of his films and while there are a few individual clunkers, I don't think he's had an extended bad phase. He's managed to keep producing over a very long career very good work, in my opinion.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 11:11:55 PM »

-An expression of tired distaste.- Woody Allen has managed to creep me out with his personal life. And unfortunately, the character he most often plays on film has some of the same creepy qualities.

Ah, now I get it. "ick" would have been even more "vernacular", which is a word I had to look up in the dictionary just now too. Smiley My problem in this case was that I was wondering about what exactly you were expressing distaste. (Expressing distaste is fine, no harm done.)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 02:22:13 AM »

It must have been this one, which is over three hours long!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/woody_allen_a_documentary/

What I saw was probably edited down for Dutch (or Belgian) TV----but it was still pretty long.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 09:03:35 AM »

Ah, now I get it. "ick" would have been even more "vernacular", which is a word I had to look up in the dictionary just now too. Smiley My problem in this case was that I was wondering about what exactly you were expressing distaste. (Expressing distaste is fine, no harm done.)
He had an extended ugly custody battle in which he was accused of molesting his daughter (and she is now an adult and confirms that it happened though some people think she was "brainwashed" by her mother. He was not given custody and the judge expressed that while the molestation was not proven, he obviously had a very unhealthy obsessive relationship with his daughter.
He began sleeping with his partner's daughter, that he had helped raise since she was 8 or so (her mom and he never married, but he was in effect her step-father) at the latest when she was 19, but perhaps earlier. She is reported to have issues with mental and emotional capacities. They eventually married.
This information, combined with the characters he plays that are sexually obsessed with girls (meaning not adult women) sometimes give me the creeps.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 08:06:10 AM »

This information, combined with the characters he plays that are sexually obsessed with girls (meaning not adult women) sometimes give me the creeps.

I can understand that.

It must have been this one, which is over three hours long!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/woody_allen_a_documentary/

What I saw was probably edited down for Dutch (or Belgian) TV----but it was still pretty long.

Yup, that's it. "Whyaduck Productions", I had to laugh at that very first caption in the documentary! Cheesy I saw the shortened version too. It seems the long version will be on another TV station this weekend, but I don't know if I want to sit through the 2 hours I already saw to spot the probably less interesting parts they had edited out.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 03:09:51 PM »

I've never found him in any way amusing. But then, I don't rate The Marx Brothers either.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 03:11:47 PM »

I love the films of Woody Allen.
And Duck Soup.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 09:08:09 AM »

I've never found him in any way amusing. But then, I don't rate The Marx Brothers either.

Oh yes, the Marx Brothers... great stuff! (That is, if the script writers / directors / producers understood their kind of comedy.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: