gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681027 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 08:11:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPECTRUM 1980 :: A new study-video  (Read 10902 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:21:57 PM »

If you like to hear The Beach Boys in a concert setting, here’s almost two hours of a special show.

The Philly Spectrum broadcast concert of 1980 before 20,000 fans, captured direct on four reels of 15ips tape, is not a bad show. There are some stellar moments making it well worth a listen to the end. This is the Beach Boy show band I knew and loved.

My recommendation is to listen over headphones for the most detail, best representation and a great overall listen. Speakers are also good, but personally I prefer this one over a pair of good headphones.

Check it out under PERSONAL ARCHIVES   [ SPECTRUM 1980 Concert ]   at http://swdstudyvideos.com

Good Listening,
  ~Stephen W. Desper
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 11:36:07 PM »

Looking forward to this… unfortunately I'm away from my desktop for a while bit hopefully it's not going anywhere! Many thanks for this latest treasure, Stephen.

“We live in divisive times.”
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 01:57:48 AM »

Excellent stuff, Stephen! Listening now.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 08:14:11 AM »

Thanks Stephen, I'm going to check this out later tonight after work. I enjoy your study videos and I'm sure this one will be no exception!

Azn
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 08:57:59 AM »

Thanks for this, Stephen!  In addition to listening to a great mix of the show, I really enjoyed reading your notes on the show in the preface.  Very much appreciated!
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »

This is awesome, thank you for this.

I also wanted to point out that 39 seconds in, the video lists WIOQ as Philadelphia, Massachusetts, rather than Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Man, I am so fascinated by radio broadcasts of live concerts (not just Beach Boys of course) or in studio performances. I can't describe it but it's so magical to me.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »

Thanks Steven, I actually have a copy of the show on CD; its great!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »

Thanks Steven, I actually have a copy of the show on CD; its great!

COMMENT TO RICK:  Thanks for pointing out the mistake. May get corrected in a few months from now. It takes six hours to render any changes and don't wish to take the study-video off-line right now.

COMMENT TO TONY:  Would be curious of your assessment as to whether the sound is better in the study-video or the CD you have. I value your feedback.

~SWD

If you like to hear The Beach Boys in a concert setting, here’s almost two hours of a special show.

The Philly Spectrum broadcast concert of 1980 before 20,000 fans, captured direct on four reels of 15ips tape, is not a bad show. There are some stellar moments making it well worth a listen to the end. This is the Beach Boy show band I knew and loved.

My recommendation is to listen over headphones for the most detail, best representation and a great overall listen. Speakers are also good, but personally I prefer this one over a pair of good headphones.

Check it out under PERSONAL ARCHIVES   [ SPECTRUM 1980 Concert ]   at http://swdstudyvideos.com

Good Listening,
  ~Stephen W. Desper
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 12:50:57 PM »

Really enjoyed listening well working this afternoon. Thanks!
rock72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 12:51:45 PM »

Hi,
Can this be downloaded from the vimeo site, so I can listen on iPod?
Thanks,
Dave
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 01:07:24 PM »

Mr. Desper - I love this show; a friend sent me a stereo cassette of the radio broadcast back in the summer of 1980.  Through the years, I've thought the mix was amazing for a live show; your video explains some of the rough spots.

One thing I've been curious about since I first heard it. To me, it has always  sounded like Bruce blows out his high voice - badly, to the point of damage - singing bg vocals on this song.  Any recollections about that?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:46:34 PM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »

Says I need a password
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »

I was there!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 01:42:19 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:27:16 PM by zatch » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »

Hi Steve, the sound is about the same, your version might be a bit "cleaner", but not really noticeable.....the excitement of the show comes through on both versions. And I always wondered what happened on Surfer Girl, when there was no Brian solo. Now I know....really enjoyed reading your commentary......I've had the CD for at least 20 years, don't even remember where I got it, but I think at a record show in Cranford NJ. The cover art is pretty cool, with a picture of the band from 1980 or so....Carl in his Green shiny jacket, Dennis and Brian looking washed out, Mike w/o a hat! It's entitled Surf Killers from the Philly Spectrum....pretty good.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 04:12:20 PM »

Hi,
Can this be downloaded from the vimeo site, so I can listen on iPod?
Thanks,
Dave

COMMENT:  Frankly these study-videos are not designed to be viewed on tablets or heard on iPods. There is a provision to download the video for your own use and collection, and a link is given on the website as to how to do it. These study-videos are made assuming they are heard using computers with quality speakers or headphones. These are serious creations using the best professional equipment available. Every effort is made to provide the listener the best listening experience possible.  If you wish to listen on an iPod or such limited fidelity devices, you are on your own for advise from me. I would think you could access the Vimeo website from my website, but I'm not a digital guy. Perhaps another fan could help you out on this matter, but I'm an analog engineer and would ask another fan, more familiar with the ipad to please help our fellow fan Dave in his quest.  ~swd
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 04:15:09 PM »

Thanks so very much for your continuing efforts in making these videos, Stephen. I can't wait to give this a listen.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 04:16:58 PM »

Mr. Desper - I love this show; a friend sent me a stereo cassette of the radio broadcast back in the summer of 1980.  Through the years, I've thought the mix was amazing for a live show; your video explains some of the rough spots.

One thing I've been curious about since I first heard it. To me, it has always  sounded like Bruce blows out his high voice - badly, to the point of damage - singing bg vocals on this song.  Any recollections about that?

COMMENT: Not that I know of. Any indication of this on the interview after the show? I've never heard the interview or if it even happened.  ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 04:20:18 PM »

Hi Steve, the sound is about the same, your version might be a bit "cleaner", but not really noticeable.....the excitement of the show comes through on both versions. And I always wondered what happened on Surfer Girl, when there was no Brian solo. Now I know....really enjoyed reading your commentary......I've had the CD for at least 20 years, don't even remember where I got it, but I think at a record show in Cranford NJ. The cover art is pretty cool, with a picture of the band from 1980 or so....Carl in his Green shiny jacket, Dennis and Brian looking washed out, Mike w/o a hat! It's entitled Surf Killers from the Philly Spectrum....pretty good.

COMMENT:  That is really an insight. I never knew there was any art connected with this event.  Why don't you post it for us all to see? I'd love to see it !   ~swd
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »

I was there!
So was I. I had my sister tape the show on cassette over WIOQ FM. It was a great concert and the Spectrum was rocking that night.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »

I was there!
So was I. I had my sister tape the show on cassette over WIOQ FM. It was a great concert and the Spectrum was rocking that night.

Yes it was!

Stephen Desper wrote that Dennis spent most of the time backstage due to injuries, but did contribute some tambourine. Not doubting Mr. Desper's account, but I don't remember seeing Dennis on stage at all. Do you recall?
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 02:58:09 AM »

This is the complete show. The Surf Killers and Keepin' The Summer Live CDs, didn't include the full show. Both omited Wouldn't It Be Nice.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:23 AM »

Stephen, I noticed Billy Hinsche's name listed among the backing band musicians, but he was actually out of the band for a few years at this time. The rest of the players look absolutely correct.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 04:48:02 AM »

Hi Steven, for some reason I'm having a hard time posting the cover art for the CD; syas the file is too big, but I'm unable to shrink it. If you're still interested shoot me an e mail address where I can e mail it to you. Pretty cool photo.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx