gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:44:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Executive Producing"  (Read 2903 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2006, 02:50:23 PM »

what exactly do they do?
i mean, when i look at back to the future & see Spilberg's name on there as the executive producer...i dont even think of him when i think of BTTF, i think of Bob Gale & Robert Zemecus....so on MIU, where brian is listed as EP..what did he do? just sit there?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 03:09:58 PM »

Producing a movie and producing an album are different, so be sure to separate those.

That said, producing an album can mean a lot of different specific things, too, although it all adds up to producing an album--that is, getting it done. Some producers are almost artists themselves, performing on the album if need be, fleshing out arrangements, making changes to tunes, etc. Others are more in charge of just making sure things are happening on time and on budget, handling the organizational tasks. And of course there is a lot of room in between.

Generally when you see the term Executive Producer, it means one of two things:

1) I fronted the money, or
2) My name might help this project

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 03:46:38 PM »

that's pretty much what i thought...

i meant to make a distinction, but i was in a rush

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 03:55:17 PM »

Generally when you see the term Executive Producer, it means one of two things:

1) I fronted the money, or
2) My name might help this project

Except when Landy's name was on on a record under that credit...then it meant one or both of these things:

1) I second-guessed the musical opinion of Brian and other real musicians, and
2) I generally got in the way and pissed everyone off.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 04:19:13 PM »

did he really get in the way?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 05:30:51 PM »

did he really get in the way?

Check this out...

http://www.bobvogt.com/high_bias/bw_was_here.htm
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 09:51:38 PM »

Cute.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 01:05:09 AM »

That Bob Vogt page changed a bit since I first read it a few years ago.  Now I'm more curious about the Andy Paley dinner story (and the word "everything"), because the new version omits something (maybe because Andy threatened to sue or something).  Oh, well,  it's just gossip anyways.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 08:00:56 AM »

I like the little photocopy shot Vogt did of himself when the tapes left A & M in '87. You can read some of the titles for tracks cut. Included among the expected ones are "Here We Are", "There We Were", "Terri, She Needs Me" & "Boogie Woogie Beat". I'm assuming the first two are different versions of the same song, "Terri" would obviously be yet another version of "Sherri She Needs Me" and the last one probably just a piano jam. Does anyone have any more info on these?

"Let's Do It Again" is also listed which has shown up on boots and eventually became "The Waltz", right?
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 08:56:56 AM »

"Let's Stick Together" (from Sweet Insanity) became "The Waltz."   I'm not sure "Let's Do It Again" became another song, but it started out as "Black Widow."
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 09:24:28 AM »

"Let's Stick Together" (from Sweet Insanity) became "The Waltz."   I'm not sure "Let's Do It Again" became another song, but it started out as "Black Widow."

Oh, of course; the "Let's..." part confused me, I guess. The verse melody to "Black Widow / Let's Do It Again" became (or maybe reverted back to) the "Night Bloomin' Jasmine" section of "Rio Grande".
MBE
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 09:25:12 AM »

Oh he took out the part the Paley is gay
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 10:35:16 AM »

I like the little photocopy shot Vogt did of himself when the tapes left A & M in '87. You can read some of the titles for tracks cut. Included among the expected ones are "Here We Are", "There We Were", "Terri, She Needs Me" & "Boogie Woogie Beat". I'm assuming the first two are different versions of the same song, "Terri" would obviously be yet another version of "Sherri She Needs Me" and the last one probably just a piano jam. Does anyone have any more info on these?

"Let's Do It Again" is also listed which has shown up on boots and eventually became "The Waltz", right?

"Here We Are" is the original title of "One For The Boys".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx