gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:48:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sandbox Time Machine  (Read 4398 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2015, 08:43:11 AM »

You stumble upon a sandbox time machne, inside which, drawing a date in the sand immediately transports you to wherever Brian Wilson is on said date. What date do you choose? Old Man
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »

Dec 6, 1966.  I'd act as intermediary between Van Dyke, Mike Love and Brian and not let the questioning of the lyrics lead to Brian's doubting the whole project.  I'd preempt Mike's questioning of the lyrics by complimenting Brian and Mike on the lyrics and explaining what they meant before Van Dyke could even be called.   I'd stay up several nights looking at the stars and playing ping pong with Brian and let him unload all of his plans for the Smile album, track sequence, The Elements, Heroes Parts 1 and 2, then go back to the group and Mike and Van Dyke and get everybody on board.  The album would get finished and released and sell a million copies in January! 
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 04:33:13 PM »

A similar question and answer posed by Lewis Shiner in GLIMPSES.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 04:38:12 PM »

Which is well worth reading if you haven't, folks: http://www.lewisshiner.com/liberation/glimpses.pdf

Also, I would've turned up at the BRI meeting for the licensing agreement and screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooOooooooooooooooo!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:21:20 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 06:12:05 PM »

Birth, at which time I spirit him away from Murry Wilson into the arms of competent parents.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »

Aug 62. I would try and explain Good Vibrations to him.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 10:24:52 PM »

I'd try to locate as many clips of Brian saying he wishes he never had taken drugs as possible and then go to the day before his first LSD trip. Maybe he wouldn't start hearing voices then - it would be worth a try. I bet he'd write California Girls anyway.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »

I'd try to locate as many clips of Brian saying he wishes he never had taken drugs as possible and then go to the day before his first LSD trip. Maybe he wouldn't start hearing voices then - it would be worth a try. I bet he'd write California Girls anyway.
I agree.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 01:57:04 AM »

I'd probably try to help him complete Smile, arriving a few days before the infamous "over and over the crow cries" -session and meeting Mike, Brian and VDP separately, and stressing how important it is that they finish Smile not later than January.

But then again, if that would mean we wouldn't have Smiley Smile, I'd be kicking myself to death once I got back. Or would I be able to return? If not, I'd enlist as the Boys' roadie and go off to see the world and the seventies with them. Oh the time I would be having.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 02:53:01 AM »

Smiley Smile sessions, 1967. Now that would be cool seeing all the leads through the house leading down into the Brian's home studio (Carl explained how that was the case in a interview once)....
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 06:44:45 AM »

December 9, 1961 (if this be the day), when the Boys hear "Surfin'" played on KFWB. Because, according to Dennis, "Nothing will ever top the expression on Brian's face, ever..."

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 03:35:15 AM »

The BRI meeting where the decision was made to bring back Landy, at which point I'd stand up and scream "Are you all out of your f****** minds ?" before explaining exactly why. Of course, we wouldn't have Love and Mercy, but it's a small price to pay. Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 06:59:08 AM »

The BRI meeting where the decision was made to bring back Landy, at which point I'd stand up and scream "Are you all out of your f****** minds ?" before explaining exactly why. Of course, we wouldn't have Love and Mercy, but it's a small price to pay. Smiley
Good one. Wth?
Edited for clarity: ...were those people thinking?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:02:57 AM by Emily » Logged
KDS
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 07:13:34 AM »

I'd love to go back to 1964 and see Brian, Mike, Al, Dennis, and Carl in concert in person. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 12:31:36 PM »

What was the alternative, though?
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »

Hmmm before I pick my date, let me consult the Badman book for absolute historical accuracy LOL
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 01:47:59 PM »

Professionals with good reputations...not as "psychologist to the stars," that is.
My stepmother's family has a long history with schizophrenia and were working with some very good people by the seventies.
I understand that the Beach Boys are loath to work with professionals outside of the studio (band managers, financial managers, doctors, anyone?), but this seems like an area in which one might have made an effort to find a doctor with a serious reputation.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 02:20:30 PM »

If I could use it again (prob not), I'd go back to 1977 where The Beach Boys played Pine Knob, Clarkston MI on Aug 24 and the Performing Arts Center, Saratoga NY Aug 31st where Dennis performed songs from POB. According to AGD, them two BB US shows that year included a short set by Dennis performing songs from POB. Read this via his site --- http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs77.html
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »

Almost anyone: the decision to rehire him seems to have been based on nothing more than "well, it worked once...".

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 03:38:54 PM »

Let me slightly change mine. I would take the Good Vibrations single and play it for Brian in 62

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 03:45:01 PM »

I'd go back to 1976 and visit a twelve-year-old Yorkshire lad who'd just been absolutely mesmerised by his first listen to Good Vibrations.

I'd advise him to enjoy the music but not get obsessed. Instead of spending all the money he'd earn from his paper round on LPs and 45s over the coming few years, invest it instead.

I'd tell him that when he attends the Kebworh Festival in four years time, be satisfied that he's seen a great band give a great performance and leave it that - the next 20 or 30 shows won't ever be quite the same, and will lack a little something - at least until 2012.

I'd warn him of the dangers to future social and family life posed by an obsession with the music produced by a bunch of men from the same country that gave us MacDonalds, the atomic bomb and Coca Cola.

And I'd point out to him that avoiding any such obsession might make him a rich man with diverse tastes, a decent home and a pension to look forward to.

And he'd probably reply "sod off old timer, don't tell ME what to listen to!"

Or more likely, "Sure, but have you heard how these bits of Heroes and Villains can be rearranged to sound like THIS…?"

“We live in divisive times.”
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 08:43:39 PM »

Which is well worth reading if you haven't, folks: http://www.lewisshiner.com/liberation/glimpses.pdf

Also, I would've turned up at the BRI meeting for the licensing agreement and screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooOooooooooooooooo!

This novel 'glimpses' is available online and is great...feel like you're right there with 1966 Brian and entourage....highly recommend for all you sixties trippers.....

petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »

Tarmac Incident?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 02:33:13 AM »

Early September 1977. The band had a huge bust up at a New Jersey airport and basically broke up for a short while. Unfortunately, for them, a reporter was present and spilled the beans.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx